Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Totally TWISTED posted:

Brazil.

Not trying to be funny but that's literally the reason.

Yeah if you don't chase the petty criminals down, how are you going to extort a bribe out of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

You have traffic stops like normal corrupt cops?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

I want one :stare:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Soulex posted:

You have traffic stops like normal corrupt cops?

I'm willing to bet that at least some of these chases are people who run from traffic stops.

In all seriousness, according to the video description at least some of these are stolen motorcycles being chased. Car theft is a serious problem in South America and also treated extremely harshly. It's not uncommon for car thieves to actually be shot at with lethal intent.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm willing to bet that at least some of these chases are people who run from traffic stops.

In all seriousness, according to the video description at least some of these are stolen motorcycles being chased. Car theft is a serious problem in South America and also treated extremely harshly. It's not uncommon for car thieves to actually be shot at with lethal intent.

I know that in Albania at least, you'll get waved over by a cop standing over on the side of the road and given a "ticket" for whatever. Usually it's to get money. The times I've seen this not work is anytime there is an expensive car because it belongs to gangs and gangs have no problem killing cops. Also when they tried to pull this on my father in law, as we were leaving his cousin(? I don't remember. Huuuuge family)'s house. Said cousin was chief of Police in that town for a few years. We were let go immediately and they wished us safe travels.

My father in law also once passed a cop illegally. The lights came on and he started laughing. I'm freaking out wondering what the hell until the cop pulled up along side him, realized who he was and turned the lights off. My father in law owns an auto body store, and it's e only one in town. He routinely gives cops car parts they need, even when they can't pay. So he's essentially protected in that town with some immunity.

Their family itself is kinda badass, and saw some poo poo. When the civil war was going on, my wife's small town had a shoot out with cops and gang members. They were mad at the government naturally, and we're trying to wreck shop. The father in law was a major in the Albanian military, and he decided it would be a smart thing to go somewhere safer. So he got him, his wife, my wife and the other 3 kids in a car and drove out of dodge. As soon as the gangsters saw him, they opened fire. Eventually he pulled over and grabbed his family and dove on the ground. My wife recalls seeing bullets hit the water in front of her and her family. All while her mom is cursing the poo poo out of her dad for doing some dumbass poo poo like leaving in the first place. There were some other crazy things that happened like her being held up in a store because this dude liked her and she had to stay still for like an hour while the guy held her at gunpoint. The guys friends realized how crazy he was being and tried to get him t leave without my wife, and he kept trying to bring her.

I think the guy ended up beaten to an inch of his life. Maybe prison. I know he didn't die though. You don't gently caress with an Albanian family. They aren't like the ones off taken, but they are some vengeful more fuckers. And second or third cousins are close family, so everybody comes to the party.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Soulex posted:

I think the guy ended up beaten to an inch of his life. Maybe prison. I know he didn't die though. You don't gently caress with an Albanian family. They aren't like the ones off taken, but they are some vengeful more fuckers. And second or third cousins are close family, so everybody comes to the party.

Someone once asked Chopper Read who the group he feared the most was. He said the Albanian mafia in Melbourne were the scariest people he had ever met. Direct quote: "If they cannot kill you, your mother will do".

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I have no idea who that is, so I'm gonna read up on him. And yeah, it's true for the most part. They used to have things called Battle Virgins which I have talked about in his thread before I'm sure. Back when the country was still largely gender role and sexist, it was a big thing for a woman to be treated like a man.

I've never met anyone in the mafia, but just hanging out with my brother in law and hearing about the fights he got in because some rear end in a top hat cold cocked his friend is enough. Good friends to have when you're in a foreign city. Not just for the air of feeling protected, but the network spans to getting free food, discounts from markets because you're 'friend of the family.' But It's like what Ron White said: "I don't know how many of them it would have took to kick my rear end, but I knew how many they were going to use."

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I've got an itch on my shins.

Aaaaaahh, that's better.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

JoelJoel posted:

I've got an itch on my shins.

Aaaaaahh, that's better.

In case anyone is wondering why the weight bar was stripping his skin like that, he was lifting 463kg/1020lbs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arD6SgqqX10

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

I pity the poor guitar tech.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Bill Bailey is many great things, but I'm not sure I'd count badass as one of them. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nordick posted:

Bill Bailey is many great things, but I'm not sure I'd count badass as one of them. :v:

Well if he's overdosing on coffee and spent all night watching The Sweeney he can nearly pull it off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiLzHtDaDSM

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 17:29 on Apr 20, 2016

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Hm, good point. That and the fact he's willing to eat bees to survive being stranded in a closed book store.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Just a shame about Dave's syndrome :(

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

I pity the poor guitar tech.

I got to handle Rick Neilsen's once. Only one neck is tuned.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAZdiJGWdfI

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Why won't the audience shut the hell up?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Crossposting from gif thread:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
https://vine.co/v/eEw7xtQ1U0K

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Now I want to see some MotoGP jousting.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

TheDon01 posted:

Now I want to see some MotoGP jousting.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Cakefool posted:

Just a shame about Dave's syndrome :(

is your title from The Long Patrol

it is i know it its from when they find the stream

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
NASA went and made an incredible real colour panorama from the Curiosity on Mars.

Image is link - click for original fullsize.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 13:04 on May 2, 2016

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Gorilla Salad posted:

NASA went and made an incredible real colour panorama from the Curiosity on Mars.

This is a good post.

loving Mars man, pretty sure the quote still stands true:

If you put out a call
For volunteers for the first crew to Mars
They'd be lined up coast to coast

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

gently caress that. Space scares the poo poo out of me

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

dpack_1 posted:

This is a good post.

loving Mars man, pretty sure the quote still stands true:

If you put out a call
For volunteers for the first crew to Mars
They'd be lined up coast to coast

When that privately funded one-way trip to Mars got announced, the first cut of candidates was 1058 out of over 200,000 applications. Even accounting for joke applications, there's still tens of thousands of people who are totally willing to abandon their lives on Earth and spend the rest of their days traveling through space and living in a tiny settlement on Mars.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

When that privately funded one-way trip to Mars got announced, the first cut of candidates was 1058 out of over 200,000 applications. Even accounting for joke applications, there's still tens of thousands of people who are totally willing to abandon their lives on Earth and spend the rest of their days traveling through space and living in a tiny settlement on Mars.
And most of them are people you wouldn't want to take an hour car ride with, nevermind a one-way trip to Mars.

FistOfTacitus
Oct 21, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Might be more accurate to say there are a ton of people willing to die of asphyxiation or radiation poisoning to be the first living freight tossed towards Mars.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

i watched this last night and it was good

"ITS NOT RIGHT MORGAN"

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

verbal enema posted:

is your title from The Long Patrol

it is i know it its from when they find the stream

If it is it's a coincidence, I just wanted something ridiculously British sounding.

What's the long patrol?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Cakefool posted:

If it is it's a coincidence, I just wanted something ridiculously British sounding.

What's the long patrol?

A book in the Redwall series by Brian Jacques. A Hare officer says those exact words when they come across a stream.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

verbal enema posted:

i watched this last night and it was good

"ITS NOT RIGHT MORGAN"

one of my favs, definitely

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Soulex posted:

gently caress that. Space scares the poo poo out of me

Space is disease and death wrapped up in darkness and silence.

I look forward to one day Oculus Rifting my way across the Martian landscape from Earth, though.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Just wanted to say this is one of my favourite films, and the best thing George Romero ever directed. Hunt it down, it's worth your time.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Gorilla Salad posted:

What's amazing about this photo is how much it looks like a place from earth. I think part of our fascination with Mars is that to a degree it feels 'familiar' to people; it's not some airless world or gas giant.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Panfilo posted:

What's amazing about this photo is how much it looks like a place from earth. I think part of our fascination with Mars is that to a degree it feels 'familiar' to people; it's not some airless world or gas giant.

Sadly this is the same reason conspiracy nuts will claim we have no man-made objects on Mars, it's clearly just somewhere in Death Valley or some poo poo.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

dpack_1 posted:

Sadly this is the same reason conspiracy nuts will claim we have no man-made objects on Mars, it's clearly just somewhere in Death Valley or some poo poo.

"AS PROOF! I have built a 'curiosity rover' out of an erector set. Tie a camera to it and voila. We now are traveling to new worlds when it's actually a sound stage. Look at the shadows!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Panfilo posted:

It looks so nice and peaceful and yet is utterly deadly to humans (without a device to keep you alive)

It looks like you could just wander along there