Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

BioEnchanted posted:

One thing I love with Dark Souls 3 is the openness.

I definitely did not feel it was open. If you aren't skipping things, you are typically presented with two options, one of which is a dead end and sometimes optional. Each area is pretty self enclosed and the shortcuts you unlock just loop back on themselves in the same area. There is really only one spot where you can actually do something differently to skip ahead. Also an easily missed optional area. It never felt like it opened up to me and was focused on a single goal the entire game, not split like the others.

I think Dark Souls 2 did a much better job giving you options to explore (especially SotFS), although it was really easy to miss what you needed to do to find them the first time around. Like in DS2 when you can explore the pit in town. I got the fall reduction ring, but couldn't survive the fall because for some reason it depended on what you had equipped, so that was dumb. Or how I talked to the miracle woman, but not enough times to get her to move.

Going back to the same location again and again felt less terrible in Dark Souls 2 because the loading times were more reasonable and things were more branching, and the character loading art Demon's Souls made it bearable to me because it hyped up people who met in game as some legendary figures. Going back to a central area was even worse in Bloodborne though, before the update the loading times were crazy long and had no flavor text just the logo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Fools Infinite posted:

I definitely did not feel it was open. If you aren't skipping things, you are typically presented with two options, one of which is a dead end and sometimes optional. Each area is pretty self enclosed and the shortcuts you unlock just loop back on themselves in the same area. There is really only one spot where you can actually do something differently to skip ahead. Also an easily missed optional area. It never felt like it opened up to me and was focused on a single goal the entire game, not split like the others.

I think Dark Souls 2 did a much better job giving you options to explore (especially SotFS), although it was really easy to miss what you needed to do to find them the first time around. Like in DS2 when you can explore the pit in town. I got the fall reduction ring, but couldn't survive the fall because for some reason it depended on what you had equipped, so that was dumb. Or how I talked to the miracle woman, but not enough times to get her to move.

Going back to the same location again and again felt less terrible in Dark Souls 2 because the loading times were more reasonable and things were more branching, and the character loading art Demon's Souls made it bearable to me because it hyped up people who met in game as some legendary figures. Going back to a central area was even worse in Bloodborne though, before the update the loading times were crazy long and had no flavor text just the logo.

My favorite thing about Dark Souls 3 is the people claiming Dark Souls 2 was so much more open with its 3 dead end directions you could aimlessly wander down, with level design that would feel right at home in a first person shooter from 2001. It was truly a hidden gem, despite everyone bagging on it for being a disappointment prior to the new sequel.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I seriously got stuck in DS2 because I couldn't see the pull ring to open the aqueduct gates right past Majula. It blends right into the wall, and I wandered around for basically forever in the other two directions because I assumed I needed an item or something to get past it. :negative:

It's a good game, but everything it does right isn't what the Souls series is really known for.

As a "little thing" I like about DS2 for a change though, the fact that the Bonfire Ascetics raise the NG level without resetting doors and switches is pretty rad. Drop one in, go kill the boss, rinse, repeat.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

Nohman posted:

My favorite thing about Dark Souls 3 is the people claiming Dark Souls 2 was so much more open with its 3 dead end directions you could aimlessly wander down, with level design that would feel right at home in a first person shooter from 2001. It was truly a hidden gem, despite everyone bagging on it for being a disappointment prior to the new sequel.

Each individual area in Dark Souls 3 is way better designed and more fun to explore than the areas in Dark Souls 2. And there are pretty much just a set of linear paths in DS2 starting at Majula, and as I said I really hated that so many of the paths were easy to miss if you were playing unassisted for the first time.

What I missed in Dark Souls 3 was starting the game over and being able to focus on specific areas to get items, equipment, and trainers to build up a character that felt entirely different. In DS3 playing through from the beginning was less enjoyable than rearranging your stats and trying new things in NG+, so I probably won't get as much play out of it as previous entries.

My absolute favorite thing in DS3 was the bosses, which felt much more varied especially the dancer and the princes, which seemed much more erratic to me.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

BioEnchanted posted:

Just got to the Swarm of Clerics fight. Not too hard until the second phase with the main guy. I think I'll try Iron Fleshing and just wading the gently caress in when he spawns because I kill large arcs of them at once, they have low health and no poise and I can keep a ton of Estus on hand. Just don't want to give him the chance to use his really mean Dark or Curse spells, or however he seems to be healing. I'm just glad I can basically ignore the encounter just before. 2 Pyromancers, One Cathedral Knight and One Black Knight? gently caress that. I can easily just run past. Also I've found the shortcut just on the other side of that encounter. The second giant can wait until I have better spells because he is surrounded by slowdown sludge and a million slimes. I'm gonna wait for exploding fireball, thankyouverymuch.

Wading into that fight with the greatsword's special R2 attack was about the most cathartic thing I've experienced this year.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

BioEnchanted posted:

Really? I shot him with large arrows from a relatively close by ledge and it didn't even bring up a health bar that I could see. If I can kill him that cool.

He's invincible if he's still asleep as far as I can tell. What I did was I walked out of that first door just enough to wake him up, fired an arrow and stepped back while shooting more arrows and got him trapped in a loop of waking up, turning to attack and then turning to go back to sleep while arrows pegged him in the face.

McKilligan posted:

Wading into that fight with the greatsword's special R2 attack was about the most cathartic thing I've experienced this year.

I used an ultra great sword and a single R1 attack just killed all of the smaller bishops in one fight, the fat and tall ones took a second. But it was amazing to just kill whole groups of them without giving a poo poo. I didn't even realize there was a second form.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Nuebot posted:

He's invincible if he's still asleep as far as I can tell. What I did was I walked out of that first door just enough to wake him up, fired an arrow and stepped back while shooting more arrows and got him trapped in a loop of waking up, turning to attack and then turning to go back to sleep while arrows pegged him in the face.

I used an ultra great sword and a single R1 attack just killed all of the smaller bishops in one fight, the fat and tall ones took a second. But it was amazing to just kill whole groups of them without giving a poo poo. I didn't even realize there was a second form.

The giants are never invincible. When they are sleeping, they gain significant damage reduction. You can cheese it with a basic bow and a FUCKLOAD of arrows.
Wake it up, fire as many arrows that you can and then back pedal enough for it to go to sleep again.

Edit: The health bar is so far up that you cannot see it if you are too close but I promise that it is there.
I killed every single giant in the game.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

Inzombiac posted:

The giants are never invincible. When they are sleeping, they gain significant damage reduction. You can cheese it with a basic bow and a FUCKLOAD of arrows.
Wake it up, fire as many arrows that you can and then back pedal enough for it to go to sleep again.

Edit: The health bar is so far up that you cannot see it if you are too close but I promise that it is there.
I killed every single giant in the game.

It has a straight punch attack it uses pretty rarely, caught me off guard trying to hide in the hallway opposite the elevator. Also it is crap that Storm Ruler doesn't do anything special against other giant enemies. What a crock.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

McKilligan posted:

Hell, that fight made me happy with my decision to upgrade my whip, a weapon most people have hated in all of the Souls games. The charged R2 has surprising range and a wide arc. May not be as effective as a greatsword at the same job, but after the fight I got to become pope-hat whipman, and that's priceless.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

LOL at people arguing over DS2 and DS3's level designs. From seems adamant to abandon the awesome DS1 looping interconnected approach in favor of the much more boring branching dead-ends approach. DS2 and 3 are pretty much on the same level in my opinion, since DS2 starts with a lot of choice of paths that converge into a single linear procedure once you defeat the Four Lords (I'm ignoring the DLC here) whereas DS3 has a more consistent amount of player decision; usually you'll have two choices of paths, but never more than that. DS1 gives you a whole bunch of potential paths until you have to run through Anor Londo to proceed, then you have at least three new areas to explore once you obtain the Lordvessel.

I really can't comprehend why From is leaning towards more linear world design when DS1's is the most intricate and interesting.

Fools Infinite posted:

Also it is crap that Storm Ruler doesn't do anything special against other giant enemies. What a crock.

Yeah that was extremely disappointing. They ought to patch it or change the item description or something.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

E: Wrong thread. The most recent post is complaining about bad level design ok. :saddowns:

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 15:59 on May 1, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
One funny but unintentional thing in Dark Souls 3 was my trouble with Patches. I was looking for him at the Cathedral around the big door that he's supposed to drop, but I never saw him anywhere. Then I went back to firelink to just check, climbed the tower and he locked me in the belltower. When he said "I was a bit late really wasn't I?(To avoid you getting locked in the tower) I was internally responding "YES YOU ARE LATE! You should have spawned at the cathedral an hour ago!" I knew iot was coming and he still trolled me. :mad:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

SciFiDownBeat posted:

LOL at people arguing over DS2 and DS3's level designs.

LOL at people turning this thread into Dark Souls General Discussion Thread #7: PYF Edition.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Catacomb Kids:

Potatoes can often be found in the dungeon or carried by enemies, you can eat them which won't do much unless it is part of a meal set. If you cook them by magic spells/knocking of braziers/cooking at a camp-fire they turn into hot potatoes. With hot potatoes you have 3 seconds to eat them or you catch fire, this is just enough time to pick one up and scarf it down for a nice health boost.

However you can play hot potato with an enemy as they will always catch them, this is really quite unwieldy as you'd need to have this all set up and throw within 3 seconds. If you have a empty potion bottle you can bottle the hot potato so it retains it's heat and is safe to carry, then throw it at the enemy who firstly gets damaged from the glass breaking then catches the potato and is likely to catch fire before the 3 second limit. Fairly difficult to set up but hilarious to use.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

BioEnchanted posted:

One funny but unintentional thing in Dark Souls 3 was my trouble with Patches. I was looking for him at the Cathedral around the big door that he's supposed to drop, but I never saw him anywhere. Then I went back to firelink to just check, climbed the tower and he locked me in the belltower. When he said "I was a bit late really wasn't I?(To avoid you getting locked in the tower) I was internally responding "YES YOU ARE LATE! You should have spawned at the cathedral an hour ago!" I knew iot was coming and he still trolled me. :mad:

Huh.
I've beaten the game and I never saw our old buddy Patches.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

SciFiDownBeat posted:

LOL at people arguing over DS2 and DS3's level designs.

But what about the elevator that goes up to Iron Ke-:suicide:

Fools Infinite posted:

It has a straight punch attack it uses pretty rarely, caught me off guard trying to hide in the hallway opposite the elevator. Also it is crap that Storm Ruler doesn't do anything special against other giant enemies. What a crock.

What I wonder is if there's a difference between a giant and a Giant. I'm guessing that a lot of the "giants" are just really big enemies while Yhorm is a proper DS2 Giant of some sort. I know it's an odd semantics kind of thing but it's my best guess

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

Huh.
I've beaten the game and I never saw our old buddy Patches.

His thing starts up in The Cathedral of the Deep in the main church area by the boss.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

muscles like this? posted:

His thing starts up in The Cathedral of the Deep in the main church area by the boss.

I'm not calling you a liar but I scoured every last miserable corder of this lovely game and he was never there.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Except sometimes it doesn't happen and it starts at Firelink
The game is incredibly fidgety with its sidequests and npc appearances

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

So they need to patch Patches' pathing on the Cathedral path?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

I'm not calling you a liar but I scoured every last miserable corder of this lovely game and he was never there.

When you first meet him he's actually dressed like Siegward because he stole his armor. He's supposed to show up near one of those walkways that rise up out of the floor in the main room.

Funny thing is that he's a vendor in DS3 and one of his items for sale is a ring that makes your kick move more powerful.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Maybe not a little thing but I'm playing this indie adventure game called Knee Deep and the game's aesthetic is loving killer. The gimmick is that it's presented as a stage play so buildings will literally lose their fourth wall, the "actors" walk from set to set with everything raising or lowering around them, text messages are displayed on an overhead projector, spotlights follow people, and when it needs to change backdrop the character will actually step outside of the stage while the entire thing rotates behind them like the Carousel of Progress from Disneyworld. It's really effective, especially considering it's obviously a small team working with a low budget.

http://i.imgur.com/przMdIN.webm
http://i.imgur.com/nyJmKNe.webm
http://i.imgur.com/XWHyShl.webm

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Funny thing is that he's a vendor in DS3 and one of his items for sale is a ring that makes your kick move more powerful.

The description on it is also wonderful.

"An old ring with a seal depicting a horse's hoof. Boosts kick effect.

Unbreakable Patches adored this ring and the feeling that it gave him when he kicked his marks into the depths of treacherous traps, but suffered no shortage of ridicule from his associates for relying so heavily on the tired old trick.

But who is the sorrier? The horse who knows only to kick, or the fool who approaches the old beast without thought?"

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
About Patches I assume you had to progress Siegward's quest since he shows up wearing Seigward's armor, in case you didn't. You can miss doing that pretty easily I think. He was there in the Cathedral on my first play through, but not on my second, but when I quit and reloaded and he appeared. Maybe there is just a chance of his appearing?

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Guy Mann posted:

Maybe not a little thing but I'm playing this indie adventure game called Knee Deep and the game's aesthetic is loving killer. The gimmick is that it's presented as a stage play so buildings will literally lose their fourth wall, the "actors" walk from set to set with everything raising or lowering around them, text messages are displayed on an overhead projector, spotlights follow people, and when it needs to change backdrop the character will actually step outside of the stage while the entire thing rotates behind them like the Carousel of Progress from Disneyworld. It's really effective, especially considering it's obviously a small team working with a low budget.

Going to assume the story is good too? Either way going buy it just because of the creativity behind it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Nude posted:

Going to assume the story is good too? Either way going buy it just because of the creativity behind it.

I only finished the first act so far but it's keeping my interest, some of the dialogue is a little clunky but some of it is also really funny so it balances out for me.

I got it in this bundle so you can get it and a bunch of other games for $5.

e. The soundtrack's awesome too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xJoez6PqXg

Guy Mann has a new favorite as of 23:26 on May 1, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Guy Mann posted:

http://i.imgur.com/przMdIN.webm
http://i.imgur.com/nyJmKNe.webm
http://i.imgur.com/XWHyShl.webm

Okay I'm like 90% sold on this game I had never heard of before your post, drat that looks cool.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's funny how in Dark Souls 3 the Bonewheel Skeletons do the Kaneda slide when turning.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Guy Mann posted:

Brechtian Episches Theater in a video game? That's one hell of an interesting, and hopefully successful, idea! I'm really keen on checking it out so thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

It's funny how in Dark Souls 3 the Bonewheel Skeletons do the Kaneda slide when turning.

One of these days we'll get Kart Souls.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

m2pt5 posted:

Fractal cooking.

Philip Glass's sandwich

alternatively

Somebody tell the foreverially tiedup guy about this

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I accidentally warned myself of a trap in Dark Souls 3 in the catacombs. I was looking at the room from right at the beginning of the level with the long staircase below, tried to use the binoculars to look around but accidentally hit the wrong button, attacking, stepping off the ledge and falling to my death on the staircase below. Then a giant ball of corpses ran over what was left of me :P

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Yo I got a request for the turbonerds here: give me the high-octane all-time greats of dwarf fortress and some more SS13. I screenshotted a ton of those SS13 stories posted a few pages back that one of you was kind enough to share, and they were catnip cocaine to my dork friends.

Show us what you have seen in your internet journies, the people love it.

Olaf The Stout has a new favorite as of 04:46 on May 5, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dark Souls 3 may not be the peak of the series like Saints Row 3 was but man does it get hitboxes though.

Look at it. It's beautiful.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

RareAcumen posted:

Dark Souls 3 may not be the peak of the series like Saints Row 3 was but man does it get hitboxes though.

That's loving excellent.

And not to poo poo on Bloodborne since it's amazing in nearly every way, but here's basically the opposite of what you posted.

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 05:21 on May 5, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The dancer is like the only instance I've ever seen the hitbox actually be good. All the player weapons are hosed, especially straightswords, boss will hit you with forward stabs with their backs turned to you, mimicks will grab you from the next room over, but they spent a lot of time making the dancer work right.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

RareAcumen posted:

Ahhhhh! You like a game in a series that I like more than a different game in the same series that I think is superior!!!!!!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Babe Magnet posted:

The dancer is like the only instance I've ever seen the hitbox actually be good. All the player weapons are hosed, especially straightswords, boss will hit you with forward stabs with their backs turned to you, mimicks will grab you from the next room over, but they spent a lot of time making the dancer work right.

The dancer was their big test boss and everything, and it really shows with just how much loving effort they put into every detail of the room, the fight and the animations compared to some of the other ones. That's not to say the other bosses are bad, but they don't all have that level of care. The Dancer is easily one of the best fights in the game if you're an active player who likes to roll instead of turtleing behind a shield constantly.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

Aww, that's a shame. I thought this game was supposed to have fixed enemies teleporting you into their grabs and everything from 2.

Inzombiac posted:

Ahhhhh! You like a game in a series that I like more than a different game in the same series that I think is superior!!!!!!

Nah, I think Bloodborne is the bees knees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

I accidentally warned myself of a trap in Dark Souls 3 in the catacombs. I was looking at the room from right at the beginning of the level with the long staircase below, tried to use the binoculars to look around but accidentally hit the wrong button, attacking, stepping off the ledge and falling to my death on the staircase below. Then a giant ball of corpses ran over what was left of me :P
On a similar note, I was tipped off to the trap in question by a helpful orange message, so I felt smug as I stepped to the side and let the giant ball of skeletons roll straight past me. Of course, just as I went back onto the path, the ball changed direction, rolled back uphill and flattened me. Well played, game.

RareAcumen posted:

Aww, that's a shame. I thought this game was supposed to have fixed enemies teleporting you into their grabs and everything from 2.
It might be a netcode thing, but I thought it was definitely a lot better than 2 in that regard, so don't be discouraged. That's not to say it's perfect: enemies with spears and similar weapons in particular seem to have hitboxes that extend far further horizontally than the end of the weapon would suggest. The mimics and their goddamn jumping kick are also pretty unforgiving. At least enemies don't pivot on a dime mid-combo to punish you rolling behind them like they did in DS2.