Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Shazaminator posted:

Can anyone recommend any good third party jetbike models? I really don't like the Forge World dickbikes.

What no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

Shazaminator posted:

Can anyone recommend any good third party jetbike models? I really don't like the Forge World dickbikes.

Unbelievable. So I suppose you're also going to tell us that you don't think girls are gross!

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I am well and truly stuck with building this Iron Warriors list. I wanted to form it around a big block of Havocs and Tyrants but they're 1000 points in and of themselves. By the time I've added my mandatory slots I've only got around 800 points to play with. Do I take a Super-Heavy to counter the tide of Typhons and Felblades in my scene? Do I take some flyers/anti-flyers? More infantry to play the objective game? Perturbabo?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Run them as Iron Hands

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
But what if I'm not a weak-rear end bitch?

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

Shazaminator posted:

Not a third party, but I ran across this conversion last night. I think it's more fitting with the rest of the Legion's vehicles.

http://fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2010/02/how-to-all-plastic-pre-heresy-imperial.html

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Safety Factor posted:

I don't know who that guy is beyond being the kind of crummy librarian dude in Book VI. Is he in the audio dramas or some poo poo?

I hope the Nemean Reaver eventually gets a cool model, that's one of the few special characters I'd actually want to use. He's tough as gently caress and can be a Knight Errant which is how I'd be running him.

He's one of Garro's dudes. Used to be an Ultramarine. Garro went to Calth during the whole betrayal thing there (nice of Malcador not to warn the Ultramarines) and found him. He used to be a Librarian but was just a squad member after Nikea. Garro tried to get him to leave his squad but Rubio didn't want to abandon his brothers. They teamed up and destroyed some Defilers or Defiler-like constructs together and escaped into some tunnels. There was an ambush of some sort in there and the only way for them all to survive was for Rubio to use his psychic powers. All his ultra-friends were mad about this and shun him, they'd rather die meaninglessly, so Rubio goes with Garro.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

SteelMentor posted:

#Bulbasaur

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

He's one of Garro's dudes. Used to be an Ultramarine. Garro went to Calth during the whole betrayal thing there (nice of Malcador not to warn the Ultramarines) and found him. He used to be a Librarian but was just a squad member after Nikea. Garro tried to get him to leave his squad but Rubio didn't want to abandon his brothers. They teamed up and destroyed some Defilers or Defiler-like constructs together and escaped into some tunnels. There was an ambush of some sort in there and the only way for them all to survive was for Rubio to use his psychic powers. All his ultra-friends were mad about this and shun him, they'd rather die meaninglessly, so Rubio goes with Garro.
That last part is pretty dumb, but ok. Thanks for the run-down, I guess.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Safety Factor posted:

That last part is pretty dumb, but ok. Thanks for the run-down, I guess.

It kind of makes sense - the Ultramarines are big on doing things by the book, and this guy went ahead and disobeyed an order handed down by the Emperor himself. In another Legion you might have seen them shrug and be grateful that he saved their lives. Here it underlines the inflexible dedication that's the UM stereotype.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
The UM are hyper-inflexible in 30k. It makes alot of sense.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
But Gulliman didn't even write the Codex Astartes until after the events of 30k, right? So before that I guess they were just 'lawful stupid' types?

I thought the whole reason the UMs were like that was in response to the Heresy, but I guess without that they're just Roman Space Marines so that's always been their thing even before the Codex.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zaphod42 posted:

But Gulliman didn't even write the Codex Astartes until after the events of 30k, right? So before that I guess they were just 'lawful stupid' types?

I thought the whole reason the UMs were like that was in response to the Heresy, but I guess without that they're just Roman Space Marines so that's always been their thing even before the Codex.

In Know No Fear, UMs are portrayed as very inflexible - they're very smart, very thorough, and believe in having a plan for every eventuality. Give them a situation they haven't thought about and prepared for, and they're massively on the back foot. Taking the XIII Legion by surprise isn't easy, but they're shown to be extremely rigid in adhering to established doctrine and tactics.

That's why they suffer massively during the Heresy. The Ultramarines are completely unprepared for treason, daemons, and fighting fellow Astartes.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
So it was a long weekend here in Aus so I attempted to get my hobby on with a Anacharis Scoria conversion for my Dark Mechanicum force I am slapping together.

Painting him is gunna be crazy hard but this was one of two ideas I had for him, once he is done might attempt the second one with his abeyant made out of a old dark eldar talos.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
What's this I hear about people talking poo poo about Ultramarines? Because I just painted my first 10 of the ultra blue boyscouts:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Weird to see you paint dark blue/gold Ultramarines, but they are some amazing looking duders

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The only people who don't post poo poo about ultramarines are those who field them :cheeky:

Those guys look sick though, nice work! I like the gold knight-grill on the Mark II armor.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

SRM posted:

baller poo poo

What did you use for your gold there? It looks hell of good.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Recoome posted:

Weird to see you paint dark blue/gold Ultramarines, but they are some amazing looking duders
Thanks man! I contemplated going full retro with the color scheme, but that seemed like a lot of effort for one joke. The cognitive dissonance would have been neat though.

PantsOptional posted:

What did you use for your gold there? It looks hell of good.
GW's Retributor Armour is really loving good. It covers black in one coat and is a nice warm gold. I used that, Reikland Fleshshade wash in the recesses, and then highlighted it with Liberator Gold and Runefang Steel. My pot of Runefang Steel is getting kinda lovely though, it's super thin and separates easily.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Nice to see you jumping aboard the heresy train, SRM.

SteelMentor posted:

Run them as white scars, buy some real grade gundams from boom boom, and then proxy them as admech

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
I've contemplated running mine as Iron Fists, then I can run the tartaros Thunder hammer storm shield terminators I made for some reason.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Killer_Bees! posted:

So it was a long weekend here in Aus so I attempted to get my hobby on with a Anacharis Scoria conversion for my Dark Mechanicum force I am slapping together.

Painting him is gunna be crazy hard but this was one of two ideas I had for him, once he is done might attempt the second one with his abeyant made out of a old dark eldar talos.

Holy poo poo. How did you make him?

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

DJ Dizzy posted:

Holy poo poo. How did you make him?

Models used in this conversion are: 40k GW Magos, 30k Forge world Draykavac Abeyant, several GW skull pass spider rider spider legs, tiny spiders from the GW Arachnarok giant spider kit, 40k Dark Angels mace head, and a bunch of spikes and skull from chaos marines vehicle kits., some of my own blood when the scalpel I was using jammed directly into my thumb and lots of swearing and super glue

I have some more pics on my blog of the pre painted model so you can see the conversion pieces if you want Babies first Blog

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
So the local 40k group has mostly switched over to 30k (they already owned horus heresy stuff, but seem to only bring it out nowadays). I was slowly working on a heresey era thousands sons unit or two, which now might as well become an army. Thing is I have not read any of the forgeworld books outside of fluff blurbs and such.

Based on what I have now, is there a reasonable way to make a list of mostly termies and scouts? I have heard thousand sons still do not have a book, so they use generic lists?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Thousand Sons and Space Wolves don't have rules.
Blood Angels, Dark Angels and White Angels Scars have beta rules.

You can opt to play as a "generic" legion, which allows you to give all models with Legiones Astartes either Stubborn or Furious Charge.

You know about Rites of War right? If not and just in case, taking a Praetor or Delegatus HQ allows you to pick a RoW which modifies how you build your force.

If you want mostly terminators, Pride of the Legion is a fun RoW that allows veterans and terminators as troops.

Legion Recon Company allows you to take a bunch of recon squads. I'd avoid that honestly.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Hmm i do have this money burning a hole in my pocket, is there a dread- based RoW, I see I can take an Onslaught force which gets an additional heavy slot but gives up first turn, and that might be enough, but is there any RoW that tends toward dread heavy lists?

just looking at the FW site, I am liking the dreads alot, figure we play casually, so go for what looks cool.

I guess a unit of 3 leviathans is half your army though, that sounds like it could go badly for me.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

There is a dread-themed RoW but it's got a pretty high tax to it. You have to take a Forge Lord and Primus Medicae, and every dread you lose gives up a VP.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's come up before and I think the consensus was that unless you're going to go ALL THE gently caress OUT on contemptors and boxnaughts, the RoW probably isn't worth it. Leviathans and deredeos don't get any benefits out of it and given how talons work anyways it is probably perfectly fine to just go dreadnought-heavy with another complementary RoW.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
okay, that is kinda what I was finding as well. I started pointing up a dread heavy list anyway and ya, they are not cheap, so couldn't go too all out just based on point totals. I asked the locals what they play at and its 2500-3000, so not super restrictive, but they eat up that point value super fast.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Finally got around to drafting a list. Not so sure about which Rite to use, also everything's missing extra-armour because lol-battlescribe.

+++ Iron Warriors: Vengeance of Olympia (2995pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (2995pts) ++

+ HQ (175pts) +

Erasmus Golg (175pts)
··Master of the Legion [The Hammer of Olympia]

+ Troops (520pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (260pts) [9x Legion Tactical Space Marines (90pts), Nuncio-Vox (10pts), Take an additional Chainsword or Combat Blade (20pts)]
··Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier (50pts) [Auxiliary Drive (10pts), Twin-Linked Bolter (5pts)]
··Legion Tactical Sergeant (30pts) [Artificer Armour (10pts), Combi-Weapon (10pts), Power Weapon (10pts)]

Legion Tactical Squad (260pts) [9x Legion Tactical Space Marines (90pts), Nuncio-Vox (10pts), Take an additional Chainsword or Combat Blade (20pts)]
··Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier (50pts) [Auxiliary Drive (10pts), Twin-Linked Bolter (5pts)]
··Legion Tactical Sergeant (30pts) [Artificer Armour (10pts), Combi-Weapon (10pts), Power Weapon (10pts)]

+ Elites (360pts) +

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought (180pts) [Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons (25pts)]

Legion Quad Launcher Support Battery (180pts) [3x Legion Rapier (180pts)]

+ Heavy Support (1370pts) +

Iron Havoc Support Squad (365pts) [9x Iron Havoc (225pts), 9x Missile Launcher (with Frag, Krak, & Flakk missiles) (45pts)]
··Iron Havoc Sergeant (10pts) [Augury Scanner (5pts), Missile Launcher (with Frag, Krak, & Flakk missiles) (5pts)]

Legion Artillery Tank Squadron (435pts)
··Legion Basilisk (145pts) [Twin-Linked Bolter (5pts)]

Tyrant Siege Terminator Squad (570pts) [4x Chainfist (20pts), 9x Tyrant Terminator (450pts)]
··Tyrant Siege Master (5pts) [Combi-weapon (5pts)]

+ Lord of War (570pts) +

Legion Falchion Super-heavy Tank Destroyer (570pts) [Armoured Ceramite (25pts), Auxiliary Drive (10pts), Heavy Bolter (15pts), Space Marine Legion Crew (15pts)]

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Youre going to need a 3rd troop choice for Hammer of olympia. The Ironfire would probably better for you with that list. Its basically free, with no requirements and its only real limitation is you cant take an allied legion or a building. woo.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Keeping an eye on the upcoming 7th edition FAQ. Some of the changes that affect ye old 30k:

1- Skyfire blasts can hit flyers
2- Blasts (not just barrage) now hit all levels of terrain. Not big news for everyone, but combine this with #1 and that means a plasma dodo can pog a flier and still hit a nearby unit on the ground. Doesn't work the other way around though
3- No FNP rolls against instant death even if you have eternal warrior
4- Jinking your transport confers the jink to the passengers. IE- snap shots until the next shooting phase
5- If you ram with a super heavy you can only fire snap shots. Sorry dude who wanted to thunderblitz his way through drop pods with his typhon
6- You can't move units through walls of ruins even though they are treated as dangerous terrain. RIP teleporting rhinos
7- No cover saves for embarked units when they get exploded- IE- night lords getting popped out of a rhino now stand there with their dicks in their hands
8- You can't tank shock and delete units, unlike what Frontline Gaming would have you believe

From here

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i thought fnp saves already weren't allowed against ID hits, even with EW

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 6, 2016

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Also you can only hit with one grenade/meltabomb per squad per phase now, so so long meltabombing Spartans to death.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

RIP.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
That must be a mistake. Why would you have to buy them for the whole squad if only one dude can use them? Ridiculous. I hope the tournament I'm going too in a month doesn't adopt that as otherwise buying them on my pyroclasts is sodding pointless.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

adamantium|wang posted:

Also you can only hit with one grenade/meltabomb per squad per phase now, so so long meltabombing Spartans to death.

Any decent 30k player will disregard this.

Edit: Melta-bombs don't really count as grenades though right? You can't throw them like grenades.

edit: I would still thundeblitz drop pods.

krursk fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 6, 2016

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

adamantium|wang posted:

did this change too? afaik you could only ever throw one grenade a phrase. or does this mean melee attacking with them?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

quote:

Q: Using grenades in the Assault phase. Can every model replace their close combat attacks with a single grenade attack or just one model in the unit? Like in the Shooting phase e.g. a unit of 5 Tau Pathfinders charge a Knight. Do 5 Pathfinders make close combat haywire grenade attacks?

A: Only one model from the unit can attack with a grenade in the Assault phase. Per Warhammer 40,000: The Rules, ‘Only one grenade (of any type) can be thrown by a unit per phase’.

Melta bombs are bombs and not grenades, and are not thrown, so you can basically ignore this. As people are saying this would invalidate some unit choices that are there for a reason. Even if it did, I'd just ignore it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
it is strange to me there was ambiguity about that.