Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Get some Windo-Weld ribbon and seal the tail lights with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
When last we worked on the Celica, we were confronted with a blown out passenger side CV.

Here's how you replace the passenger side CV on a 90-93 Celica.

First, replace the oil pressure switch on the front of the engine.

Next, move onto the bench. While the 90-93 Celica has no aftermarket options for front coil spring isolators, you can get lucky and find out that one from an 87 Camry fits.

Next, set up your electrolytic bath to clean up the coil spring you removed from that corner when removing the strut. Don't bother cleaning it, the electrolytic solution is washing soda anyway.

In you go! Watch the rust fly.

Then put in the passenger side CV. It is essential that you spend an hour dicking around trying to figure out how to get the carrier bearing bracket undone from the axle, and also read various crackpot opinions about removing non-existent circlips from the carrier bearing.

Also tear the old CV in half while removing it, splashing moly grease all over the area you are working and then filling the garage floor and your shirt/hat/pants with bright red gear oil.

Ding! Electrolyte is done. Remove the spring and scuff it with a red scotchbrite pad:

Hit it with etch primer:

It is critical that at this point you go and gently caress around with whatever trucks are nearby. I chose a '90 F150 and made vroom vroom noises while scaring a neighbourhood dog. Slung Blade chose a whatever the gently caress white Chevy thing and decided to responsibly move things around his property.

OK that's enough fun for now. Park the F150 in a surprisingly inaccessible part of the yard and let's get to choochin'.

Spray it with whatever colour coat you had lying around the shop:

Next week: maybe put in the drivers' side front CV?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 11, 2016

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah that was a good day. Did a lot of work, seemed like we didn't get a whole lot accomplished even though we did, just on like 4 different things. Totally bloodbathed the garage floor and my armpits with gear oil too. And once again my 4' comedy socket extension proves its' worth!

You should post those pictures of your mirror and reverse switch we fixed also.

Thanks for your help in preparing for the earthmoving project happening tomorrow :getin:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

No pictures because it got dark but oil has been changed as well as the fuel filter. Tomorrow is try and find Windo-weld after work to fix the tail light gaskets. Failing that, weather strip glue and a diy neoprene foam gasket should work.

Edit: 9mmx9mm neoprene foam weatherstripping has the tail lights sealed up. Here's hoping that there are no other significant leaks allowing the exhaust gases into the cabin.
The $5 solution is a little thicker than the stock gasket but did compress down to within 2mm of the original.

Edit 2: Drove it to work today and didn't get a headache from the fumes :toot:

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 13, 2016

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
It's my turn with Sweet Chili Heat. Drove it to work and wooooooooooo

I'm looking at aircraft intercom systems now

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I can't wait to see you guys rolling with bomber jackets, silver mirrored aviators, and the beer can sized extra aural headphones.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

DrakeriderCa posted:

It's my turn with Sweet Chili Heat. Drove it to work and wooooooooooo

I'm looking at aircraft intercom systems now

Oh gently caress I'm gonna need to build a better amplifier circuit for the PA system

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Can tire has flex head gear wrenches on sale. 50$ gets you 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, and 18mm. They're actual gearwrench brand with an extra MasterCraft logo on the other side.

I bought the SAE ones years ago to tear apart and rebuild the tractor, great wrenches. Bought the metric ones today.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Driver side spring has seen better days.

Last night I dropped it in the magical electro pixie sauce.

She chooched pretty good over night. Fuckin hell.

A quick scuffing with the 3m cleaned her up pretty decent.

Today SSSwitch and I painted it (he has pictures, I forgot to get any, too busy trying to not light my workshop on fire spraying paint with the forge running for heat). While that happened, we also put the passenger side back together. The shock tophat needs torquing, as does the retaining nut, but we will handle that later.

And I tore the gently caress out of the driver side axle. I ripped the balls out of the cup :saddowns: so now I need to find a CV axle splitter or whatever to get that bitch out.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I did not actually take any pictures of the painted spring, but here's some other pictures.

Here's what the electrolytic bath looked like after that spring:

One side of the anode is perfectly clean, whereas the side that was facing the spring looks like this, proving that electricity does indeed take the shortest path:

New pads, rotors, brake line, CV, strut, spring isolator, tophat dust seal, bump stop, boot installed on POR15'd strut housing and reused tophat.

Hang it up, Brembo - the ultimate brake pad has already been discovered.

My jacket smells like Liquid Wrench and so do the Civic's seats. Worth every minute.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Update on sweet chili heat.

We have "sponsorship" and our livery. 60 sqft of brushed aluminum has been acquired.

All the bodgy vac leaks have been fixed with proper caps.

I also sat down and compiled a list of items to do to the car.

• Fix all dents - PDR tools acquired (This will be perfect to practice the craft and not gently caress up the dents on the RX-8)
  • Remove all body mouldings
  • Sand & coroseal rust
  • Patch rust holes in rockers (Spare hood used for sheet metal to patch holes)
  • Patch rear wheel wells
  • Upholster dash (Not having much luck finding cheap fake black suede - might have to bite the bullet and order a $24 roll from China.)
  • Install delrin engine mounts
  • Install delrin transmission mounts
  • Clean engine bay
  • "Detail" exterior in prep for Vinyl
  • Paint all exterior metal body trim black - Hats off to the Hellica for making this look easy.
  • Paint fender mirrors
  • Install fender mirrors
  • Remove old door mirrors
  • Fill all body holes ( FM antenna, badging, mirrors, etc)
  • Install roof basket
  • Install light bar into roof basket & wire power
  • Bleed brakes
  • New transmission fluid
  • New diff fluid
  • Paint wing
  • Install wing
  • Install fender flares
  • Rewire headlights with relays
  • Replace all bulbs with LED's
  • Vinyl wrap car

All of this in two months and change.....gently caress

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
It's cool to see that you're doing an incredible amount of work than is necessary - you'll have a legit drive-able car that should make the trip no problem, and keep going afterward.

What's the story with the brushed aluminum? Are you talking about vinyl wrap, or Is it a literal sheets of metal that you're going to cut to fit over each panel?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Astonishing Wang posted:

It's cool to see that you're doing an incredible amount of work than is necessary - you'll have a legit drive-able car that should make the trip no problem, and keep going afterward.

What's the story with the brushed aluminum? Are you talking about vinyl wrap, or Is it a literal sheets of metal that you're going to cut to fit over each panel?

The goal is to flip the car after the rally - the more we do that costs nothing but time yet will still increase resale - the better.

The brushed aluminium is in fact vinyl. One of my friends used to be a partner in a vehicle wrap business. I've roped him in to helping us out.

Edit: gently caress whoever installed the body mouldings with cheap double sided tape in such a way that they trapped moisture.

Also, I am rolling probable cause in this thing right now. The exhaust (which is totally bitchin'), the state of the body and my not having shaved in a week + black thumbs beanie gets you the evil eye from EVERYONE...... :awesome: :iamafag:

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 29, 2016

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I have acquired two hundred dollars worth of slide hammer and CV splitter, they are shiny as gently caress and I love them. Hopefully I can get that axle out this weekend.

Gonna have a pretty well equipped garage between all these nice new metric tools and all my old SAE ones.

Shame they don't start framing my workshop until Monday, it sure would have been nice to have that ready for the may 14 shakedown event thing. (We are still planning to do that right?)

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

New tools, best tools!

The May 14 is tentatively still going. Technically Sweet Chili Heat doesn't actually have wheels and tires right now. We're running Cool Ranches set. That should be taken care of by then. We should know for sure next weekend. I'm hitting the body work and drivetrain mounts tomorrow. Rona also has cheap dynamat so that should bring the in cabin decibel level down from 90.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
gently caress engine mounts forever qtiyd

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Hello gorgeous :bigtran:

So yeah the CV splitter didn't work, not enough space between the transaxle and the CV cup, but the slide came with this handy cone thing and a set of three jaw pullers.

Car is bleeding :ohdear:

Both sets of endlinks replaced. SSSwitch did this one last week, I just took this to prove to him that there are holes for an allen key in the bolt.

Then just as I'm about to take a break, an old buddy of mine shows up to grab his boat that I've stored over winter. Turns out his little guard that keeps the tongue off the ground broke when someone ran over his trailer. So in my capacity as the literal village blacksmith, I hammered up a new one and welded it on. Never welded on my back before, and the weld isn't pretty but it'll work. His kids seemed to get a kick out of it as I made it. We also drilled out a hole and riveted in a new grounding wire, he had an alligator clip and half a roll of electrical tape holding it on before, JFC.

The spring has dried in the shed for a week, and looks pretty decent.

Today's recipe, a driver side front strut. Here are your ingredients.

Here's one I prepared earlier.

Seriously gently caress keyed struts that have to be compressed like 90% to engage the locking flange, this is incredibly hard to do solo with this kind of spring compressor. ESPECIALLY when the top nut is a loving nylock. I had to use an old brake rotor to put my knee and hand on the hat while I slowly spun the nut with my free hand to find the engagement point and tighten that bitch down.

Installed, new axle is in place as well. :siren: NOTE TO SELF: castle nut isn't torqued yet. :siren:

:lol: pad life.

Phew. Caliper bolts and knuckle to strut bolts all torqued. Good enough for tonight.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

As fast as those pullers degrade when you're a 300lb gorilla beatin on them, I always just borrow them from Canadian tire. Can't beat free. With the amount of work you're doing on these, will you ever be able to let them go?

I'm out in BC scouting the route for you and here is my report: There is no greater threat to mankind than the rental RV. It is therefore my suggestion that all really vehicles be equipped with attack poles and lancers.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Powershift posted:

I'm out in BC scouting the route for you and here is my report: There is no greater threat to mankind than the rental RV. It is therefore my suggestion that all really vehicles be equipped with attack poles and lancers.

I vote that we all get matching under glow and pull a simulated OG F&F heist on any rental RV's we come across. Instead of knocking off semis full of DVD players, we'll just terrorize the tourists a little.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
If we are going to match underglow, I got blue.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Slung Blade posted:

the slide came with this handy cone thing and a set of three jaw pullers.

You're doing it wrong :)
The cone threads down on top of the jaws to hold them closed:

Reverse the jaws and the cone to hold open.

E: The circled piece threads in place of your vise-grip adjustment screw, and adapts to the puller shaft.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 1, 2016

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Maybe, but how would I attach the claws to the vice grips then?

The little tightening thumb screw isn't big enough to grab with the slide's claw arms without the cone under it, and I don't have any two inch washers with a 15mm hole.

This is backyard butchery at its finest.

E: oh OK that makes sense, these are knock off vice grips so I'll have to check if the threads match.

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 1, 2016

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Alright, I torqued the front driver axle, tightened both sets of sway bar end links, put in the bolts for the strut brace and put the little sensor back on it's foot (it's on the brace).

The front end is as done as it's gonna get until the brakes get bled and we drop it back on the ground.

Time for the rear end. Gotta love a car with a vaguely race heritage. Single jacking point, I love it, and so light too.

Hmm, this is pretty crusty.

Spring and the isolator aren't too bad. Boot looks good enough.

There appears to be a speaker in the way of the strut retaining nut. Silly japan.

Removed the strut and brake components.

Nice new parts. Wound up not using the new boot, old one is fine.

Took one of my scraping brushes that I use to take scale off of steel to the crustiest rust on the spring. It's not bad, I'm not even gonna paint it. Back together and ready to go in.

Brake looks a little weird...

Let's get a closer look at those pads. drat that is some crazy angular wear.

New pads, new shims.

Lubed and inserted. I also anti-seized the removable slide pin.

This little breather puked a little grease when I was giving the piston a good squeezing so it's good enough.

Done. New sway bar end links installed in the back, I had to cut the old ones out because they were too rusty to unscrew. The e-brake is adjusted enough to drag a little bit and should snug right up when we give the lever a yank. Moved the little rubber plug over from the old rotor as well.

loving glad I don't need to use a compressor on the rears.

The driver side is worse.

That's quite the automotive circumcision. Part of the boot fell off, this one will need replacing.

Whatever, it's all out now. I'll replace it tomorrow maybe because it is now 29 degrees in the evening sun shining RIGHT IN MY loving FACE HOLY poo poo I AM BLIND.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm not sure if you'll be able to work this into your route, but highway 6 from fauquier to lumby is a blast. speed limit of 80 with probably 50 signs suggesting 50 or 30, but what you can't see on the map is piles of elevation change, just a constant up and down and around corners and some opportunities to unload the suspension at the speed limit. tons and tons of motorcycles though, and i'd imagine mid june, hundreds of thousands of prius drivers in rental RVs doing 20 leaving finger imprints in the steering wheel every time they see an oncoming car or a cow in a field or a tree.

I think it would be more fun west to east because a lot of the fun stuff seemed to be downhill in those areas, and there were a couple 7-10% grades that might claim the life of some apex seals traveling in the opposite direction.

Coming in from the north to get there or leaving from there north is a big open 80 car ferry that's pretty neat, but really not worth the 180kph super highway with a 90kph speed from banff to the border.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/50.6...2!4m1!5i2?hl=en

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Powershift posted:

there were a couple 7-10% grades that might claim the life of some apex seals traveling in the opposite direction.

I like the sound of that :getin:

So I worked a full day at the office and came home to work on the car until 9:30. Weeeeeee

Fuckin car better appreciate it man. This corner fought me the whole way.

Tophats on the front shocks need torquing (if I can get some numbers on that, otherwise I'll go hand tight + 3/4s of a turn)
Retaining nuts on front shocks need torquing, probably. I dunno they're nylocks, might not need it.
Strut bar needs torquing, maybe.
Brakes need a good bleeding, the old fluid in the rears was black as coal.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Thanks to Slung Blade linking this in his other thread. This looks hella fun. Avidly following. Sounds awesome.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

Slung Blade posted:

Tophats on the front shocks need torquing (if I can get some numbers on that, otherwise I'll go hand tight + 3/4s of a turn)
Retaining nuts on front shocks need torquing, probably. I dunno they're nylocks, might not need it.
Strut bar needs torquing, maybe.

If you need torque specs, I think I have them at home in the BGB for the All Trac. Or in the old Haynes manual I have. I'll look when I get home from work.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

alternate.eago posted:

If you need torque specs, I think I have them at home in the BGB for the All Trac. Or in the old Haynes manual I have. I'll look when I get home from work.

Switch tells me it's 59 on the three nuts and 29 on the retainer.

If you have numbers please post em :)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

Thanks to Slung Blade linking this in his other thread. This looks hella fun. Avidly following. Sounds awesome.

Same with me. Doing some kind of awesome cheap car rally sounds like a dream project to me, someday maybe I'll have the gumption and wherewithal to make such a thing happen in California. Meanwhile I'm gonna live vicariously through you guys.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Bled the brakes, tested the e-brake, put on the wheels, dropped it on the ground and torqued the top hats.

Took it for a little spin to really work the brakes, felt pretty good.

Come back to the barn, notice these behind me.

poo poo, I wonder if there's more.

(road to my driveway gravel)

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

How did you guys find a Toyota of that calibre. Seriously, most couldn't even if they tried.

Either way, I'm sorry. (Is that transmission fluid? Looks red)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

McTinkerson posted:

How did you guys find a Toyota of that calibre. Seriously, most couldn't even if they tried.
We are the best at buying cars.

McTinkerson posted:

Either way, I'm sorry.
You will be.

McTinkerson posted:

(Is that transmission fluid? Looks red)
Probably folded over one of the axle seals when we replaced either of the brutally torn nearly-exploded CVs?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

This morning I went over my test drive route from last night. I was able to clearly see trails of transmission gear oil everywhere I took a corner.

Fuckin hell, need to take off the passenger side axle again to get at that seal.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

How did those Celicas win the WRC with those pansy axle seals? I'd have no confidence banking the car off the side of a snow drift to corner it if those seals gently caress up just by putting them in by hand.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

How did those Celicas win the WRC with those pansy axle seals? I'd have no confidence banking the car off the side of a snow drift to corner it if those seals gently caress up just by putting them in by hand.

They probably had a different gearbox than ours. This is the S53 which I believe is from a Camry.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Seat Safety Switch posted:

They probably had a different gearbox than ours. This is the S53 which I believe is from a Camry.

They also were not thirty year old seals at the time of a race.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

They also were not thirty year old seals at the time of a race.

What do new seals go for? Can you get them locally or is it another order from Rock Auto deal?

In Sweet Chili Heat news, the tires and rims and mounted and balanced. This evening I will get those swapped over and also tackle the transmission mount. Tomorrow it's on to body work. Probably going to burn through all of my Coroseal. I wish there was a Noxudol supplier in Edmonton. Also going to try and pull the transmission from the parts car - supposedly there is an interested party. Need to grab the spare bent hood and washer fluid reservoir as well.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

McTinkerson posted:

What do new seals go for? Can you get them locally or is it another order from Rock Auto deal?

No idea but the cost is completely insignificant compared to the time/effort lost in pulling the axle out again.

I'm sure I can get them at Calgary transmission or Pat's driveline.

E: why? Want some parts ordered in a group buy or something?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

E: why? Want some parts ordered in a group buy or something?

Just curious is all, waiting on parts to arrive by mail is annoying, etc.

Edit: New solid aluminium transmission mount is in. Our wheels & tires are also installed. Contemplating if it's worth it to piss off the neighbours and take the car for a rip to test out fresh tires, delrin engine mounts, solid tranny mount and biiiig exhaust...

...gently caress it. :getin:

Edit 2: Hooooly poo poo - I didn't think it was possible to make this car more ridiculous. Those mounts sure did the trick though.
A few observations.

• It should not be this easy to bury the speedometer on any car.
  • It's really fun to harass Camrys.
  • From a light, it is trivial to do a burnout through first and second gear.
  • The exhaust really needs a manufactured by Kellogs plate - it's full on rice crispies between 7000 & 3000 rpm on declaration.
  • The coolant temp gauge stopped working again. Grounding the sensor wire to the block starts the gauge on it's full sweep so it's probably the sensor.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

Slung Blade posted:

Switch tells me it's 59 on the three nuts and 29 on the retainer.

If you have numbers please post em :)

I forgot to look, I'm a terrible person.

• Locked thread