Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

cowofwar posted:

You are probably one of those people with acidic sweat that ends up causing pitting in the aluminum of apple devices.

Lamest superpower ever imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

priznat posted:

Lamest superpower ever imo

Acid blood worked fine for the Alien, would probably be even more badass with acid sweat. Maybe you also need a second mouth inside your big mouth mouth to really get benefit out of it though.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

I called my network and they said I am out of contract now so I can just move to the other network no big deal but if I call them back tomorrow they'll offer me a better deal :getin:

fingers crossed on a good deal from them.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

enojy posted:

Where's your god now, Saddle Brown Goons? Does this happen to anyone else? This poo poo is gross. My iPhone 6 leather case did the same drat thing within 6 months, and I'm a clean dude I don't eat no Cheetos and I wash my hands every time I go to the bathroom, NOT only when I go #2. I'm gonna head to the Apple store and see if they'll goodwill me into a silicone case. They were ready to last time with the iPhone 6 case, but since I didn't have a receipt and didn't buy it there, they couldn't do it.

I've had my saddle brown since I got my 6S at launch and it's fine. I guess you're holding it wrong?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

cowofwar posted:

You are probably one of those people with acidic sweat that ends up causing pitting in the aluminum of apple devices.

Seriously? It could be, I dunno. It happened to two generations of Apple leather cases, but I've never had it happen to my other leather products that get handled a comparable level of frequency.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

enojy posted:

Where's your god now, Saddle Brown Goons? Does this happen to anyone else? This poo poo is gross. My iPhone 6 leather case did the same drat thing within 6 months, and I'm a clean dude I don't eat no Cheetos and I wash my hands every time I go to the bathroom, NOT only when I go #2. I'm gonna head to the Apple store and see if they'll goodwill me into a silicone case. They were ready to last time with the iPhone 6 case, but since I didn't have a receipt and didn't buy it there, they couldn't do it.

I have a brown leather case that has aged considerably through normal use and abuse over the past year and a half, but it hasn't developed any kind of pitting like that.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

enojy posted:

you don't have to shave the case hth

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Blimpkin posted:

you don't have to shave the case hth

Haha, I just reached for the nearest object to prop it up a bit. I couldn't get a good picture of the side with it lying flat.

I swapped for the silicone variant. I like it so far, I just hope it gets a little less slippery in a few weeks of use. Not as bad as nude phone, but still slippy! I hope this case holds up for at least a year or God forbid I'll have to go get one of those gigantic cases your uncle has on his Samsung Droid.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

One of my coworkers has been using the same Apple silicone case on her 5c since she got it when it came out in 2013. It feels disgustingly greasy now and is so stretched out and misshapen that it barely stays on the phone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Things that get used constantly throughout a day wears out? What a shocker!

Maybe you should do her a solid and buy her a new case.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
which silicone cases have less slippery back surfaces? i have a incipio ngp but it's like 10% more slippery than i'd really like

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The apple ones are pretty drat grippy if you keep them clean.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
My Amazon clear case is the best case I've owned for a phone.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I thought you used to be able to browse your song library for text/phone ringers, but now that option's...moved? I've got a sound file in itunes that I want to use as a text tone, but I can't find how to do it.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Let me know if I should post this somewhere else, because I suspect there's a better place and I just don't know where it is. A good friend of mine switched from iOS to Android and for some reason her phone refuses to receive iMessage chat, and I want to switch her (and only her) to regular phone-to-phone texting because my messages are just going to her laptop. I don't want to turn off iMessaging in general, I just want to be able to text to her phone without changing my global settings. I'm pretty incompetent with smartphones since I was working in a remote hospital on a small pacific island from 2007-2014 and am still sort of catching up to the modern world.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

iMessage is Apple only. It should gracefully fall back to SMS (green text bubbles) if the recipient does not support iMessage.

I guess it's possible there could be some weirdness if they used to be iOS and the "this number supports iMessage" flag is cached somewhere but that's just a guess. It's also possible they didn't unregister their old phone from Apple before moving to the new one. But again, just a guess.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Yeah, she'll need to follow the instructions to deregister her number from iMessage: https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

jackpot posted:

I thought you used to be able to browse your song library for text/phone ringers, but now that option's...moved? I've got a sound file in itunes that I want to use as a text tone, but I can't find how to do it.

It needs to be a .m4r I think or there's an option somewhere to tag it as a tone which has its own separate section. You then can sync those to the phone.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
^ Thanks

TheQuietWilds posted:

A good friend of mine switched from iOS to Android and for some reason her phone refuses to receive iMessage chat, and I want to switch her (and only her) to regular phone-to-phone texting because my messages are just going to her laptop. I don't want to turn off iMessaging in general, I just want to be able to text to her phone without changing my global settings. I'm pretty incompetent with smartphones since I was working in a remote hospital on a small pacific island from 2007-2014 and am still sort of catching up to the modern world.
Had the exact same thing happen when a friend of mine switched to Android, and he had already deregistered his phone. I had to delete every single text conversation I had going on with him, and I might've even deleted his contact then re-added it. On your phone, on your computer, on your ipad - delete all the conversations, otherwise iMessage really doesn't want to let go.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Hey Guys, random question... my iPhone 6 Plus was broken by gravel (the case does almost nothing against this apparently, since it's a raised surface).

This is fine, I have AppleCare+ and everything. The issue is, I am about 45 minutes from an Apple store, but my GF travels to that area for work occasionally.

Can I give her the phone and have them repair it, or do I have to be present myself? I definitely don't want to mail it in, who has time for that poo poo.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Taima posted:

Hey Guys, random question... my iPhone 6 Plus was broken by gravel (the case does almost nothing against this apparently, since it's a raised surface).

This is fine, I have AppleCare+ and everything. The issue is, I am about 45 minutes from an Apple store, but my GF travels to that area for work occasionally.

Can I give her the phone and have them repair it, or do I have to be present myself? I definitely don't want to mail it in, who has time for that poo poo.

Should work. I broke my phone a day before going in for what turned in to a week long hospital stay. Family member with different last name went in with my phone and had the phone fixed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's attached to the device, not the owner, so it shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure to turn off Find my iPhone before she brings it in. (If possible.)

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Thanks guys!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Ok one more question, this one is significantly dumber.

Can you upgrade your phone when you bring it in for Applecare+ replacement? I have the dumb 16GB model and I would gladly pay extra to get a larger capacity model if they're replacing it anyways.

This is probably impossible, but Apple has a bunch of soft policies that they don't state in the fine print, so I feel I have to ask.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Nope.

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

Dropped my 6S and bent the frame. No applecare+. Are there alternatives to $300 Apple repair?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

You could buy a new phone for $700 or whatever instead.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Donald Kimball posted:

Dropped my 6S and bent the frame. No applecare+. Are there alternatives to $300 Apple repair?

Unbending the frame is a $50 repair.

E: Through a third party.

LODGE NORTH fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 4, 2016

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Apple Music users: do you have problems with your iCloud library when you're not on WiFi? Whenever I add something to my library from Apple Music, the album art doesn't load in my library until I'm on WiFi. It loads fine in the search interface, though. I also tested disabling and re-enabling iCloud Music Library entirely, and it wouldn't load my library at all until I got on WiFi. Does this match up with your experience?

e: I have "use cellular data" turned on of course

Weedle fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 5, 2016

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Weedle posted:

Apple Music users: do you have problems with your iCloud library when you're not on WiFi? Whenever I add something to my library from Apple Music, the album art doesn't load in my library until I'm on WiFi. It loads fine in the search interface, though. I also tested disabling and re-enabling iCloud Music Library entirely, and it wouldn't load my library at all until I got on WiFi. Does this match up with your experience?

e: I have "use cellular data" turned on of course

Sorry, it's going to be frustrating but I don't have this problem.

Check the Apple Music thread in IYG, maybe.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

It definitely seems like the 6 is the worst built iPhone yet.

mine had the ill-fitting screen issue (not fully flush with the body, was raised slightly along one edge) the off-centre facetime camera issue, and the dull/bright top left corner screen issue.

all my previous iPhones were perfect out of the box and slowly gained very minor cosmetic issues, or had a single common issue (5 battery failing, 4 had the sticky home/lock button issue)

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

6 days and my daughter's new SE 64 is lost/probably stolen. LOL.

And now I find out that find my phone is an app, it's not in there by default. Ooops.

And her idiot mom waits until the middle of the night to tell me, instead of daytime when the battery might still have some charge, and we might be able to call it.

It's insured, but the deductible is $200 so it still stings.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

LloydDobler posted:

And now I find out that find my phone is an app, it's not in there by default. Ooops.

And her idiot mom waits until the middle of the night to tell me, instead of daytime when the battery might still have some charge, and we might be able to call it.

The Find my iPhone app is for viewing the location of a lost phone. The functionality that broadcasts a phone's location to the app is built-in to the OS, and I think you have an option to enable it in the setup process. If you did that, you should be able to use the app to find it. Also, since it's a brand-new phone, the battery life is still excellent and it may still be on, unless someone has been using it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

LloydDobler posted:

That took like no time at all. Android time. Get her the biggest honkin' Android you can find.

To be helpful (and as optimistic as possible) -- if it was stolen by someone your daughter's age, you can count on the thief charging it instead of trying to flip it right away. Also, if they're dumb, they left the SIM card in there, and you may be able to work with your carrier to ping its GPS in the event your daughter didn't enable Find My iPhone (maybe? Is this a thing?) Then again, kids aren't dumb with technology these days. Good luck! If they took out or replaced the SIM card, you're pretty boned.

Either way, I'd start by simply telling the carrier that she lost her phone and would appreciate any help they can offer in locating it before making the insurance claim. If she ends up finding it (or getting a new iPhone,) definitely enable Find My iPhone right off the bat (it's in Settings, and also one of the pre installed Apple app's called "Find iPhone".)

enojy fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 5, 2016

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

Report the IMEI to the carrier so it can't be used, then report the IMEI to the police.

That way, they can't activate it on any carrier, and if they try to sell it to a pawn shop, it'll show up as stolen/reported, they'll go to jail forever, and you'll get your phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

Find My iPhone isn't an app. It's built into the OS, though I don't recall if it's enabled by default at setup (it might be an option). In any case, go to iCloud.com and see if it shows up!

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

you trippin cuz

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/find-my-iphone/id376101648?mt=8

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Thanks for the help guys. I've already changed her apple ID password and disabled the phone from the AT&T website so it at least can't cost me anything. She had the 6 digit password on there too, I hope that secures it enough. I tried calling it and it's straight to voicemail, so it's either off, disassembled already, or battery is dead.

From what I'm reading find my phone MUST be set up by the user and if you didn't do it there is zero recourse. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201472

I'll obviously hit up the phone store in the morning and find out what they can do for sure. She lost track of it right before lunch, she thought it was in her locker. She checked the lost and found between every class for the rest of the day and got nothing. Hopefully someone found it after school and turned it in to the lost and found, or does it in the morning.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
The Find my iPhone app is only to view devices, ping them, lock them, etc. The setting for a device to show up there is enabled as one of the steps in the initial setup, and is under Settings > iCloud > Find my iPhone. You don't need the app installed to be able to see it when looking at Find my iPhone from another device.

Edit: Yeah, if she didn't enable the setting, there's no way to turn it on now. Hope someone finds it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

People are idiots and dont enable it because they are worried about being tracked.

then again its how I discovered my ex was cheating on me but then again she was dumb enough to give me her appleID password so :shrug: