Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Is Theon supposed to still have his balls? Theoretically, he could still produce an heir.

And there's been a lot of discussion about costs to Mel for resurrecting Jon but in the show, it's 100% presented as The Red God doing the resurrecting. You just ask after having completely poo poo the bed and given up and he'll be like, "Yeah, okay." The way it's set-up, she should be completely fine because she didn't really do anything except ask for it with as much as melancholy as The Red God likes to see in a person.

Majorian posted:

Dear everybody whining about Ramsay "getting away with whatever he wants" - you do realize he's not actually going to get away with this, right? He's not smart enough to keep the North together, and it's not going to take very long for his own (metaphorical and literal) hounds to turn on him and tear him to pieces.

When Roose died, I felt bored and disappointed. Ramsay's bad writing. He feels gratuitous and silly. When in Better Call Saul, Jimmy's boss was mad at him, I was on the edge of my seat because the writing's good. When Ramsay fed Walda and his infant half-brother to the war dogs, it felt like something out of Troma just filmed in the wrong style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm rewatching the first season of True Detective and it's reminding me of when HBO was on goddamn fire

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

lezard_valeth posted:

Makes you wonder how there have not been any other necromancer building an army in ASOIAF aside from the Night's King.

Qyborn is doing it for Cersei, and there's the theory that the Ironborn did it a bit back in the day. IIRC Dagmar Cleftjaw was supposedly a reanimated corpse. Necromancy would also explain the origins of "what is dead can never die".

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

I'm rewatching the first season of True Detective and it's reminding me of when HBO was on goddamn fire

In a way it still is!

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Professor Shark posted:

The High Sparrow is deader than poo poo but he's going to smile as he dies

I'd be tickled if he was dragged behind a horse on the same path Cersei had to walk. Then they'll string him up. All hell will break loose for sure.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Blind Melon posted:

there's the theory that the Ironborn did it a bit back in the day. IIRC Dagmar Cleftjaw was supposedly a reanimated corpse. Necromancy would also explain the origins of "what is dead can never die".

Can you link me to this theory? I like to waste my time reading fan theories for this series

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Lloyd Boner posted:

Mel trimmed his hair. Jon is ruined.
My wife blurted out 'What are you doing?? You bitch!' during that scene.

Professor Shark posted:

Can you link me to this theory? I like to waste my time reading fan theories for this series
Same. We need to get Preston on the case.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

TK-42-1 posted:

My wife blurted out 'What are you doing?? You bitch!' during that scene.

Ah, the female audience.

Thanks to them we are stuck with blah characters like Jon Snow here, and Daryl from the Walking Dead.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
As opposed to straight dudes, who gave us Ros and the Bad Pussies. Or gay dudes, who gave us every character on True Blood.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

BreakAtmo posted:

In a way it still is!

They should throw whoever greenlit Vinyl and cancelled Togetherness into the Winterfell dog pens.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Utopia ended up being cancelled before filming took place, HBO is going through something and everything is coming out vanilla

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Professor Shark posted:

When ADWD came out I went to the store and bought my reserved copy as soon as it opened, I was the only one there :cool:

When ADWD came out, before I could put my hands on the official kindle and audible copies, I was killing my eyes reading the loving cellphone photos of the leaked book, jpg by jpg. Not again GRRM.

I will just read the thread next time, if there is a next time.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

lezard_valeth posted:

Ah, the female audience.

Thanks to them we are stuck with blah characters like Jon Snow here, and Daryl from the Walking Dead.

:lol: you're the saddest person in the world aren't you?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Oh, women are to blame for Jon Snow. Of course it's women.

Women and their prophesied heroes and resurrection myths, Pfft.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 3, 2016

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

lezard_valeth posted:

Ah, the female audience.

She was making a joke. Jesus christ dude.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I liked Episode 2 a whole lot, faith restored in adaptation

Professor Shark posted:

Veep is better than it was when that came out
Silicon Valley didn't exist yet
Jon Oliver didn't exist yet

Hmmmmm

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I liked Episode 2 a whole lot, faith restored in adaptation

Veep is better than it was when that came out
Silicon Valley didn't exist yet
Jon Oliver didn't exist yet

Hmmmmm

lol

Edit: I've watched every episode of SV and I don't think I've laughed once, and it's only gotten worse

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 3, 2016

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Accretionist posted:

Is Theon supposed to still have his balls? Theoretically, he could still produce an heir.

And there's been a lot of discussion about costs to Mel for resurrecting Jon but in the show, it's 100% presented as The Red God doing the resurrecting. You just ask after having completely poo poo the bed and given up and he'll be like, "Yeah, okay." The way it's set-up, she should be completely fine because she didn't really do anything except ask for it with as much as melancholy as The Red God likes to see in a person.

When Roose died, I felt bored and disappointed. Ramsay's bad writing. He feels gratuitous and silly. When in Better Call Saul, Jimmy's boss was mad at him, I was on the edge of my seat because the writing's good. When Ramsay fed Walda and his infant half-brother to the war dogs, it felt like something out of Troma just filmed in the wrong style.

My favorite fan theory is that there is no red god and it's just Bloodraven loving around

What if bloodraven is the littlefingerest littlefinger

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Blind Melon posted:

Qyborn is doing it for Cersei, and there's the theory that the Ironborn did it a bit back in the day. IIRC Dagmar Cleftjaw was supposedly a reanimated corpse. Necromancy would also explain the origins of "what is dead can never die".

I don't remember the details of Dagmar Cleftjaw, but thinking about him made me think of Damphair Greyjoy, and then Patchface, both of whom could also be considered resurrected characters. They both also came back acting completely different from their pre-resurrection selves.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

lol

Edit: I've watched every episode of SV and I don't think I've laughed once, and it's only gotten worse

Why did you watch every episode of a comedy show if you didn't find it funny. I think the problem here is your broken brain

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Wait, we're not supposed to watch things we hate? How are you supposed to wallow in seething bile if you just ignore the things that bother you? My blood pressure isn't going to spike dangerously all on its own.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This season doesn't feel like GOT. Pacing is off and there are too many tropes not being subverted. loving hack writers.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

cool and good posted:

Why did you watch every episode of a comedy show if you didn't find it funny. I think the problem here is your broken brain

Because HBO has like 2 shows on at any given time and I'm going to get my monies worth :mad:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I want them to hurry the gently caress up with the Weirtrix and show me more flashbacks

More matrix jokes go

Bran: "I know warging"

Bloodraven: "Show me"

Bloodraven's fightin Bran!

Beeez
May 28, 2012
If we're already getting the Tower of Joy next episode I'm curious if there'll be any more weirwood flashbacks after it, that seems to be the pinnacle of flashbacks for the show(and the books, for that matter). I'd like to see a flashback showing how Rhaegar was a nut obsessed with prophecy, but since they didn't cast anyone to play him obviously we won't see anything like that this season.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm pretty sure we're seeing Jaime killing Aerys, but I don't know if that will be before or after Tower of Joy.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Perhaps they'll finally show us that scene of Ned's dad and brother getting killed by Aerys that was cut from season 1?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
They will split the Tower of Joy and show the fight in the next episode but the R+L=J reveal will have to wait at least one episode, if not more.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

Azazell0 posted:

This is really entertaining but man, as a non-native english speaker, I could really use some subtitles (not automatic ones).

I don't know about subtitled versions, but they do written reviews as well.

Edit: Choice quotes, though the entire thing is quotable.

quote:

My Gawd, my Gawd, MY GAWD we back up in this piece like we never left. Well, I mean, some people left ‘cuz plenty folks been fed the gently caress up with Game of Thrones poo poo of late, but that’s not what we do here at BNP. We head to the trenches and report back on awesomeness and fuckboys alike. So let’s get back into this No Chill TV Viewing Experience to kick off Season 6.

In the great hall, this simple rear end, punk rear end, I’m-still-bitter-a-17-year-old-got-more-votes-than-me Ser Alliser out here justifying why they Caesar-ed Jon Snow. Then this dude starts name droppin’ all the conspiring senators ‘cuz he don’t want to hold that weight. Naw, that’s a punk move, crow. Ayebody know you mad ‘cuz you ain’t had hair like Jon in about 30 years. Muthafucka wanna talk loyalty, but we are literally here ‘cuz you airholed the Lord Commander. The fact this non-charismatic bastard actually got these dudes thinking he might have done the right thing tells me all I need to know about these spineless cats. Ain’t no honor here, man. Night’s Watch basically the DNC in 2016.

Well, the dogs and the bloodhounds they’re using catch up to these cats looks grim until DARK KNIGHT BRIENNE COMES THROUGH WITH THE BATMOBILE HUMMIN’ LIKE IT JUST GOT A FRESH OIL CHANGE MY GAWD I’VE BEEN READY FOR BRIENNE TO GET BACK ON THIS MURDA MUZIK.

Dr. Poz fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 3, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

kcroy posted:

I don't think those were golden path elements - they were important parts of his rule ( eg Female warriors) , but I got the impression that much of his rule was designed to create a stagnant situation that would later fuel the Scattering. Could be wrong though.
You're right. What I mentioned were probably just side-effects of his rule but it's kind of hard to draw the line between Keikaku Golden Path and Keikaku Benevolent Tyranny. But you are right, enforcing everyone to live in tiny villages with poo poo technology for over a thousand years was the main thrust of the Golden Path, if not the entire point of it.

I love any opportunity to talk about Dune. It's a dead universe writing-wise and it's one of my favorites. It's too bad we don't live in the universe where HBO picked up the idea to adapt Dune into a TV series instead of Sci-Fi Syfy.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
They did do a pretty good job with the Expanse.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I did like Ep2 a lot but it still feels like we're moving way too fast. I don't see how in the hell they possibly tie things up with just one more season without it feeling impossibly rushed.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Expanse with HBO money would have been great

Westworld looks like it's going to be DOA, so much for that potential Sci Fi series

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

MrSlam posted:

You're right. What I mentioned were probably just side-effects of his rule but it's kind of hard to draw the line between Keikaku Golden Path and Keikaku Benevolent Tyranny. But you are right, enforcing everyone to live in tiny villages with poo poo technology for over a thousand years was the main thrust of the Golden Path, if not the entire point of it.

I love any opportunity to talk about Dune. It's a dead universe writing-wise and it's one of my favorites. It's too bad we don't live in the universe where HBO picked up the idea to adapt Dune into a TV series instead of Sci-Fi Syfy.

They obviously got the right idea with GoT by choosing not to try to recreate the first person narrative structure of the book exactly. Sure, we see the story mostly through the eyes of certain characters, but they're (mercifully) not trying to get us to understand everything they're thinking at any given moment.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

Because HBO has like 2 shows on at any given time and I'm going to get my monies worth :mad:

I respect this answer

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I watched the latest episode of Silicon Valley to spite you and forgot that I liked the Chinese character, so I guess I'm a dirty liar (like the Japanese! :argh:)

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Narmi posted:

They did do a pretty good job with the Expanse.
I like what I've seen so far from The Expanse. It may convince me to pick up the books by the time I finish watching it.

And I do like the Dune Mini-series actually. It's got one of my favorite character actors Ian McNeice as Baron Harkonnen and Alec Newman as Paul as well as a gorgeous Chani (who I hope decides to divorce her husband and move to the boonies of America to marry some fat loser). Also it had a very sleepy William Hurt. It was a great adaptation overall and was a helluva lot more faithful than Lynch's version (which I also love) and didn't rape the plot like Jodorwosky's intentions (not hyperbole). But there are a lot of moments where the budget was pretty obvious, particularly the matte paintings.

Fun Fact I Discovered On My Own: If you play the four main notes of the mini-series main theme backwards you get the four notes of the main theme from Lynch's Dune (by Toto).

At this point I should probably stop talking about Dune in the Game of Thrones thread.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 3, 2016

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

savinhill posted:

I don't remember the details of Dagmar Cleftjaw, but thinking about him made me think of Damphair Greyjoy, and then Patchface, both of whom could also be considered resurrected characters. They both also came back acting completely different from their pre-resurrection selves.

Although we get Aeron's POV and there's nothing undead about his thoughts

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

I did like Ep2 a lot but it still feels like we're moving way too fast. I don't see how in the hell they possibly tie things up with just one more season without it feeling impossibly rushed.

I have a feeling they are just going to bail quickly on the East once Westeros is close to where they need to be to setup Daenerys et all returning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

MrSlam posted:

I like what I've seen so far from The Expanse. It may convince me to pick up the books by the time I finish watching it.

The writing is pretty bad... almost like a Syfy special, in book form

• Locked thread