Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

So far the most frustrating thing in regards to invading is Watchdogs and Faithful seem to be broken half the time, I can have Watchdogs on for 4 hours and not get a single call, but Aldritch goes off every 5 seconds. I suspect it might be me being overleveled, but that still seems like there could be a way to not have that matter so much for those two covenants, especially as there's a ring behind one of them.

Also I think being upset about Invasions is kind of silly, it's not a particularly hidden mechanic. Think of it as a new and fun challenge instead of something that's bad, after all the levels themselves never change so Invasions create an unknown quantity. Plus I'm pretty sure the game favours hosts over invaders for lag and such anyway. Plus isn't there a thing where after you win/lose an invasion it locks you out of them for a while unless you Dried Finger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I will say it's weird that you get seeds by beating invaders. Shouldn't you get them for losing to them?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Tykero posted:

Then let your phantoms paste the invader or run to the fog door. If you don't at least find the chase exciting I don't know what to tell you other than maybe you should just put up with something you don't like that takes all of five minutes instead of chumping out. You might even find that you enjoy the mechanic if you don't give up immediately after failing at it a few times.
Or I might find, as I have every other time I've been invaded (or been summoned for PvP) over the entire series, that I don't like it.

Chard posted:

Anybody else miss the Small White Soapstone? I find that I really liked being able to help clear a tough PvE area for a dinky reward and then NOT having to go all the way to the boss. I can park my Big Sign outside the fog door for that.
Yeah, I miss it too.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I could handle being invaded if it was one on one but so far it has always been 2v1s.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
I dont mind hosts getting phantoms or double estus that much, you feel like a royal badass after you murder his phantoms and hes running scared to the nearest bonfire for more cannonfodder.

Its when you kill five phantoms while the host keeps playing keep-away until his babysitters get their signs up again that i go "gently caress it" and black crystal out. If I can cause the host to run in fear calling for an adult, ive won regardless.

Fallen knight leggings suit those hosts well.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
I like to off-hand an estoc and main-hand a greatshield between fire surge puffs while standing just on the other side of an unactivate boss' fog wall that exists for me and not the invader, popping out only to take a few pokes or summon a large number of reinforcements because gently caress you, this is my world.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

I will say it's weird that you get seeds by beating invaders. Shouldn't you get them for losing to them?

Do you have to beat them? I thought it dropped a new one after each invasion, but I haven't been diligent enough in testing that to be 100% sure.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Or I might find, as I have every other time I've been invaded (or been summoned for PvP) over the entire series, that I don't like it.

why don't you like it

I'm not calling you a baby or questioning your taste or anything, I'm just curious about what it is about invasions that you'd rather quit to desktop and boot the game back up than risk trying to kill a guy?

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011
Today I've learned that Yellowfinger Heysel has either Young White Branch or Chameleon spell. Not sure what for they gave it to him considering that AI isn't really smart enough to use that properly.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Kay started a playthrough if you like her - I haven't watched it yet. She never played Bloodborne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh-dNG9BuWw

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Alabaster White posted:

You'll basically never get invaded if you don't summon.

This gets said a lot but it doesn't match my experience - I never summon phantoms and I would usually get invaded at least once per area while solo. Sometimes I'd load up a game and find I couldn't use the bonfire I quit out at last time because I was immediately getting invaded before I could even take a step. That said as somebody who invades a lot myself I would just fight the guy and move on with my life if I lost, embers are extremely easy to get by putting a co-op sign down in front of a boss door.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Heysel uses obscuring ring.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Malek Deneith posted:

Today I've learned that Yellowfinger Heysel has either Young White Branch or Chameleon spell. Not sure what for they gave it to him considering that AI isn't really smart enough to use that properly.

Heysel has the Obscuring Ring, I think, which straight up makes you invisible outside of 100 yards of another player or NPC, so you may be getting bamboozled by that.

Unless they straight up were furniture for a minute, then it's chameleon or a branch lol

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Chard posted:

Anybody else miss the Small White Soapstone? I find that I really liked being able to help clear a tough PvE area for a dinky reward and then NOT having to go all the way to the boss. I can park my Big Sign outside the fog door for that.

I like the concept of the Small White, but I'm pretty sure a large reason it existed in the first places was because they needed a something extra to give players human status and their healthbar back if the finite supply of effigies ran low, particularly in the early game.

Now that we are back to "Die and you lose it" mode strictly being a buff (No matter how many people said 'No see DS2 was balanced around only having half health! The health increase for DS3 is merely psychological :pseudo: in the pre release threads), the devs have no incentive to give you something with, well, no incentive to stick around.

I still wish it was around though, even though DS3 is the first I've really cared about the online aspects enough to go after them myself at times. And I love giving incidental assistance, so small whites would be great for putting them down in front of a stubborn midpoint between bonfires/boss situation.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Melanion posted:

Everyone who continually lists a host's advantages misses an extremely significant invader advantage.

The invader is always prepared for PvP to happen. The host is not. It's entirely possible to go through the entire PvE game with a PvP-unfriendly build (hello sorcery) and have invasions be nothing but frustrating. It's possible to stick yourself in a corner for five minutes so you can go handle the laundry and come back to a lost ember and a level to re-clear. It's possible to be a person who hates PvP and intentionally doesn't summon hordes of friendly phantoms because you'd prefer the PvP segment of your day to be over as soon as humanly possible.

I'm not saying this perfectly balances the invader/host disparity or means PvP should be skewed more toward hosts. But when you're defending invading you should remember that your playstyle is not the only one that exists and calling people whiners for having a different playstyle is pure silliness.

Sorcery isn't PvP unfriendly if you've got phantoms -- it actually makes dealing with a ganksquad much, much harder.

If you're solo as a sorcerer then yeah you're at a bit of a disadvantage against a decent invader without getting really creative. I can't argue against that.

The number of builds that are "pvp-unfriendly" but still good is vanishingly small. Despite what reddit would like to think, most PvE functional builds are still functional in PvP.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

If you have a straightsword, a shield, or some tiny amount of armor you're pvp ready

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

Heysel uses obscuring ring.

Babe Magnet posted:

Heysel has the Obscuring Ring, I think, which straight up makes you invisible outside of 100 yards of another player or NPC, so you may be getting bamboozled by that.

Unless they straight up were furniture for a minute, then it's chameleon or a branch lol

Yeah he has an obscuring ring, but he also has the chameleon/branch, he went and turned into a crate while right in my face.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

haha sick, Heysel owns

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

gently caress, this must have been what that host was using last night. Empty but seeded Alrdirch area so it's been long enough for invaders to murder every enemy, I killed three blue cops one after another plus spent like 15 minutes whacking every likely-looking prop with my sword before I gave up. With the Slumbering Dragon ring he could have been following around behind me laughing!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah the obscuring ring makes things very much a pain in the rear end, and in large areas like irithyll/londo it can be a nightmare dealing with.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I wish someone would invade my kokoro

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I kinda want to do Sirrus's quest but I also want to make my character look more like Nigel Thornberry.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
It's not like the host is guaranteed to have full estus if he's progressing through a level. I know the gank squads are irritating to run into, but it sounds like people are assuming the host is at full estus at all times for every invasion. From my experience so far, if they happen to be alone and progressing through a level, they're practically a free kill even without relying on enemies to help. Sometimes I feel bad and drop them a pity ember, and it's cute to see them "act" a lot more enthusiastic about trying to fight back when you effectively give them a 1-up in case they lose. :3:

Unrelated, but I saw this on Reddit and it's the saddest invasion attempt I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3wG3kPmOQA

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The PvP has been pretty different throughout the series. I find it interesting that you haven't liked it in any of its incarnations.
Perhaps you have a crippling fear of adversity and competition, in which case going to the trouble of completely relaunching the game instead of briefly putting up with something you "don't like" makes sense.

I'm not going to sit here and keep poo poo-talking you because I honestly don't understand your situation.
Just know that hitting Alt-F4 against an invader is the video game equivalent of taking your toys and going home. There are in-game ways to avoid engaging the invader directly, and you should probably try to utilize those instead of getting yourself penalized by disconnecting too much.
As far as I know you only get one Way of the White Circlet.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Malek Deneith posted:

Yeah he has an obscuring ring, but he also has the chameleon/branch, he went and turned into a crate while right in my face.

:eyepop: Hey neat.
You're an idiot Heysel.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah the obscuring ring makes things very much a pain in the rear end, and in large areas like irithyll/londo it can be a nightmare dealing with.

You can add Hidden Body for extra fun, that makes you see through even when directly in their grill.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Obscuring ring is necessary for having fun with boss door gank squads with giant seeds popped, moreso with a highly upgraded bow. Can't win that war of attrition, fuckers.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Tykero posted:

Sorcery isn't PvP unfriendly if you've got phantoms -- it actually makes dealing with a ganksquad much, much harder.

If you're solo as a sorcerer then yeah you're at a bit of a disadvantage against a decent invader without getting really creative. I can't argue against that.

The number of builds that are "pvp-unfriendly" but still good is vanishingly small. Despite what reddit would like to think, most PvE functional builds are still functional in PvP.

Yeah my PVE build is hitting poo poo with a giant hammer until it's flattened and dead, and PVP build is the same. My bleed/Dex char has had pretty good results with daggers as well.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
I give up, how do I cheese Nameless King?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I've never seen Heysel try to use chameleon on me but that's great, he's the best NPC invader. None of the others really try to use any dirty tricks or anything, they just run up and attack until somebody's dead.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

Cyberventurer posted:

Unrelated, but I saw this on Reddit and it's the saddest invasion attempt I've ever seen.

By the end I was surprised that he actually managed to get a hit in.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Castor Poe posted:

Keep summoning people till you get one that's good at fighting him

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Castor Poe posted:

Equip carthus bloodring, prisoner's chain, two clutch rings, master's attire and gloves, catarina helmet, smaug's leggings, and roll a ton

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
My goal when I invade is not to win, or to halt the host's progress, or even to test my skill.

I invade solely to creep around in the level, make hit and run attacks, hide behind tough enemy mobs, and make the host's experience that much more tense. I want you to use all your estus and choke on hard enemies because you suspect I might be waiting around the next pillar. I'm just trying to make your experience better guys, now please let me kill you.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
DP

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Castor Poe posted:

Greatshield from the Dragonslayer Armor soul helps.

On an unrelated note, can you spell parry Soul Stream? I know it only deflects but I want to knock that thing back at people

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Cyberventurer posted:

I hope everyone who ever wonders why you can't "just punish their heals" sees this video because this fight would have been over a lot sooner if it wasn't trivial to just roll away and take a sip.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
SO knowing what we know about armor what would be the "best" armor to put on?

Also what rings do I want for a straight sword build?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FYI to everyone talking about Heysel: she's a woman.

Great Farron Dart description:

quote:

Sorcery which improves upon Farron Dart. Fires a more powerful soul dart.

Entrusted to the leader of the Legion's acolytes, and apparently a sorcery of his daughter, Heysel, that was refined by a Crystal Sage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Is there a good guide anywhere for what the typical soul level for given areas is? I've got a sneaking suspicion that I've been plowing forward underleveled (just hit 45 after Pontiff Sulyvahn).