Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

fyodor posted:

This guy rules:
[rpeek vids]

I used to be subscribed to this guy. He's a real trip, like a gold prospector lost in time. I just got tired of the way he splits up one task (total of around 10 minutes) into like 10 videos...was clogging up my feed bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

88h88 posted:

Seeing as this is the AI forum, can I have opinions on the film Speed Racer? Personally I feel it's a massively underrated film, pure joy from start to finish, and oh what a finish it is.

I enjoyed it. I thought the movie was gorgeous and overall fun to watch. The ending wasn't too surprising for me, I remember watching am episode of dexterity lab that parodied speed racer with a similar ending.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The battery in my Galaxy S4 Mini is bulging in a rather unnerving way, but the new 4th-generation Moto G won't be out for another month or two :emo:

E: Are any of last year's model phone worth a drat? Like the Nexus 5X or Moto X or something? Battery life is important.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 3, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
speed racer was good as hell in imax

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

KozmoNaut posted:

The battery in my Galaxy S4 Mini is bulging in a rather unnerving way, but the new 4th-generation Moto G won't be out for another month or two :emo:

E: Are any of last year's model phone worth a drat? Like the Nexus 5X or something?
I really like my 5X, doubly so since stock Android is solid. It's got a decent camera and a wonderful screen. I wish that people would stop chasing thin and give me more battery life, though.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

KozmoNaut posted:

E: Are any of last year's model phone worth a drat? Like the Nexus 5X or Moto X or something? Battery life is important.

The answer is always moto G.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

The battery isn't user replaceable? If it is, you should be able to pick up a replacement on amazon for like $20

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Yeah, the battery on the S4 mini is a back cover away. Just replace it :)

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Anyone here churn, or do all of you have really lovely credit scores?

The wife and I are going on some trips later this year on Southwest's dime :getin:

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

Cakefool posted:

The touch screen accuracy sucks though. :(

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jared592 posted:

The touch screen accuracy sucks though. :(

I've not noticed this in mine compared to any previous phone.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

250k miles here... is that a "yes"?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Rhyno posted:

What's our current best thread to discuss possibly car purchases/sales? It might be time to have one fun/fast car and one POS DD instead of two fun/fast cars.

Do it. I had a Miata and a MS3. Sold them both, got my C5 and a beater Vibe.

Having a boring automatic appliance DD is liberating. Park it anywhere, don't have to fret over it. Use it for the 5-10 minute back and forth to work and errands in town, and the C5 when I want to go for a fun drive.

The Vibe is just a Matrix/Corolla, so its been bulletproof. Haven't had to do a single thing to it since buying it last September. Rear seats fold flat and its a nice roomy wagon which has been amazing for moving junk since we bought a house last year too.

Of course I also have the Street Triple when I want to be more mental.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

meatpimp posted:

250k miles here... is that a "yes"?

drat yo. What airlines?

That Companion Pass though...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

drat yo. What airlines?

That Companion Pass though...

United. I still need to do the Sapphire Preferred 40k pickup for my wife, I've just been lazy.

That said, I put almost everything I buy on credit for the points, so it's not all churn points.

My kids barely know what "hand money" is.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

So at the end of three years I'm now up to 40,573 kms

Goddamn, that's quite an achievement!

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I can't wait to not be a dumb poor kid so I can do stuff like that. I wish that I could afford to travel, much less game credit cards to travel for free.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

Not that I'm aware of and no. What's a churn?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Adiabatic posted:

Anyone here churn

Not me.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 3, 2016

MrsAdiabatic
Feb 26, 2015

Gotta get up to get Down's

Adiabatic posted:

I dunno about Imagine but I'll be at Moonrise (with literallyafish and AcidRonin) in early August.

Ahem. And?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

meatpimp posted:

United. I still need to do the Sapphire Preferred 40k pickup for my wife, I've just been lazy.

That said, I put almost everything I buy on credit for the points, so it's not all churn points.

My kids barely know what "hand money" is.

That's awesome. I was looking at that Sapphire Preferred but I couldn't pass up that Southwest deal.... 110k points in three-ish months and the wife flies free.

keykey posted:

Not that I'm aware of and no. What's a churn?

Using sign-up awards and points accruals for credit cards to your advantage. Free airfare, flight status, free hotels, cash back, etc.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

AND MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE WHO I TOTALLY HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN ABOUT NO SIR NOPE

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Adiabatic posted:

Using sign-up awards and points accruals for credit cards to your advantage. Free airfare, flight status, free hotels, cash back, etc.

I did not know that this was called 'churn'. Learned something new today.

I rarely travel, so I don't do points, hotels, etc., but I put most everything I do through a card that rewards cash-back, and typically keep the card paid off monthly, so in effect they pay me to use it, which is pretty sweet. It's a card I've had for a long time, so it's at a very good interest rate (for a credit card - 7.74%) even if I did do something dumb and carry a balance, and it (like all my credit cards) has no annual fee.

All of the cards I've seen that they want me to sign up for to get travel points/bonuses, etc. are at horrific interest rates which I refuse to sign up for. I got an offer the other day from Amex wanting me to sign up for some sort of 'Platinum' card, which has a $450 annual fee. Lol.. nope.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

That's awesome. I was looking at that Sapphire Preferred but I couldn't pass up that Southwest deal.... 110k points in three-ish months and the wife flies free.

Oh OK, then yes I do I just stick with a couple these days. Back in my day we just called those rewards cards.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

CharlesM posted:

Have you noticed the more sexually repressed your culture / religion is the more violent you are?

You know how in the old testament god was all wrath and fire and brimstone and destruction and burnt offerings? And in the new testament he seems to have chilled out a bit? Jesus came along in between the two... He got laid.

(sorry to any actual christians I have offended with this terrible joke, not sorry)

Cakefool posted:

Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.

But enough about ez-outs.

Adiabatic posted:

The wife and I are going on some trips later this year on Southwest's dime :getin:

sub-600 credit score :whatup:

(18 months of unemployment was rough. Been working on fixing that since then.)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Wrar posted:

I really like my 5X, doubly so since stock Android is solid. It's got a decent camera and a wonderful screen. I wish that people would stop chasing thin and give me more battery life, though.

Cakefool posted:

mariooncrack posted:

The battery isn't user replaceable? If it is, you should be able to pick up a replacement on amazon for like $20

Wrar posted:

Yeah, the battery on the S4 mini is a back cover away. Just replace it :)

I'm on my second battery for the S4 Mini in less than 2 years, because the original one lasted half a day of normal use after about a year. The new one only stretched that to a day or so, even with power saving turned on. It's just crappy, I guess. I had Cyanogenmod on it for a while, but that just made it chew through the battery even faster. There's only so much you can do with a 1900mAh battery.

I've ordered a Moto X Play since it wasn't that much more expensive than the G, is bettery on every spec and it supports everything in Android 6.0 (the G doesn't support Doze and a few other features). I also like the 3600mAh battery.

I'm hitting a roughly 2-2½ year replacement interval for phones, and when I break it out ~$180/year is acceptable.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 3, 2016

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

kastein posted:

You know how in the old testament god was all wrath and fire and brimstone and destruction and burnt offerings? And in the new testament he seems to have chilled out a bit? Jesus came along in between the two... He got laid.

(sorry to any actual christians I have offended with this terrible joke, not sorry)

Magically banging a virgin (lol yeah right) ending up with a baby that is you and also a holy ghost all at the same time makes a man consider his place in the world.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Adiabatic posted:

I dunno about Imagine but I'll be at Moonrise (with literallyafish and AcidRonin) in early August.
I'll see if I can swing it, that's the weekend after a race but that's a pretty nice lineup already. We'll be camping at Imagine and have at least four spots so far confirmed with several more likely.

Adiabatic posted:

No idea what the churn thing is it was called churn but with all the international trips, miles over the year and switching cards a few times for bonuses I've been able to do a few trips on different airlines. Now I'm almost out of miles :( Should look into things and see if it would be worth switching to a different card and/or airline or even just switching cards and using bonuses.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Jesus is just alright with me.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'll see if I can swing it, that's the weekend after a race but that's a pretty nice lineup already. We'll be camping at Imagine and have at least four spots so far confirmed with several more likely.

No idea what the churn thing is it was called churn but with all the international trips, miles over the year and switching cards a few times for bonuses I've been able to do a few trips on different airlines. Now I'm almost out of miles :( Should look into things and see if it would be worth switching to a different card and/or airline or even just switching cards and using bonuses.

I have never heard of Imagine but I'll look it up for sure. Also blah blah blah reddit sucks check out r/churning

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
United is far and away the worst airline I've flown with

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
And I've flown Malaysian :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I like Spirit, but my requirements for commercial flight are simple. I want to go from A to B as cheaply as possible, arrive alive and intact, and would prefer that all of my checked bags arrive at the same airport I do.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

fyodor posted:

Jesus is just alright with me.

Jesus seems like a pretty cool dude, it's the fan club that bothers me.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

corn in the fridge posted:

United is far and away the worst airline I've flown with

This, by far. Business class on Chicago to Shanghai was never bad but anything coach or shorter than that sucked.

I had some miles accumulated (350k) on USair. No churning involved. Blew most of them on honeymoon flights. I have like 90k left that are about to expire. Still have some left with Delta as well. Might just donate them to charity at this point.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

rdb posted:

This, by far. Business class on Chicago to Shanghai was never bad but anything coach or shorter than that sucked.

I had some miles accumulated (350k) on USair. No churning involved. Blew most of them on honeymoon flights. I have like 90k left that are about to expire. Still have some left with Delta as well. Might just donate them to charity at this point.

They brought back steerage???:stare:

(This would not surprise me.)

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

fyodor posted:

You parsed it wrong.

rdb posted:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Jesus seems like a pretty cool dude, it's the fan club that bothers me.

I want to know what was on the other 6 tablets Moses didn't carry down from the mountain all at the same time because he was a gigantic pussy ONE TRIP EVERY TIME HRNGGGGG

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Cakefool posted:

I want to know what was on the other 6 tablets Moses didn't carry down from the mountain all at the same time because he was a gigantic pussy ONE TRIP EVERY TIME HRNGGGGG

Well this is a matter of record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I48hr8HhDv0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

fyodor posted:

That's what a United economy seat on a regional jet feels like.

• Locked thread