Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
So it seems like the best way to me to try out different builds is to just make a knight and do the dancer glitch . Took me an hour the first time but now that I know how I could do it faster. However, as I'm on PC, is there a way to just make like 8 copies of that character to experiment with (pyro, sorc, pure str, etc)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Babe Magnet posted:

I hope everyone who ever wonders why you can't "just punish their heals" sees this video because this fight would have been over a lot sooner if it wasn't trivial to just roll away and take a sip.

Chugging is the bane of PVP.

mastershakeman posted:

So it seems like the best way to me to try out different builds is to just make a knight and do the dancer glitch . Took me an hour the first time but now that I know how I could do it faster. However, as I'm on PC, is there a way to just make like 8 copies of that character to experiment with (pyro, sorc, pure str, etc)?

What is the dancer glitch?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I've never seen Heysel try to use chameleon on me but that's great, he's the best NPC invader. None of the others really try to use any dirty tricks or anything, they just run up and attack until somebody's dead.

Heysel just fell off a cliff while I was running away to heal and lose a trash mob.

A disappointing number of tough non-respawning enemies did this to me, now that I think about it. Katana-man and Havel as well. I'm don't even try to do it, I can just be running away to heal and their pathing AI goes full Wile E. Coyote.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Babe Magnet posted:

why don't you like it

I'm not calling you a baby or questioning your taste or anything, I'm just curious about what it is about invasions that you'd rather quit to desktop and boot the game back up than risk trying to kill a guy?
A fair question.

In the previous games it was much easier to be outnumbered / unprepared as a host, and that certainly soured me on the concept. I recognise it's less of an issue in DS3 though. If I've got summoned friends I'll fight (or run), because it'd be a dick move to them to quit. Otherwise, well, the loading times are surprisingly good.

I really like the exploration in the Dark Souls games, and I like learning (and beating/solving) the patterns the NPCs use. For the former, PvP is a random interruption; it feels like at best I end up were I was, and at worst I have to backtrack because of some other jerk. For the latter, PvP is much more unpredictable (nobody wants a game full of Havel Flippers again). It's better for the game and for people who like PvP, but worse for me.

The Bloodborne system sounds pretty much what I'd want.

:goonsay:

Tykero posted:

Perhaps you have a crippling fear of adversity and competition, in which case going to the trouble of completely relaunching the game instead of briefly putting up with something you "don't like" makes sense.
PvP I like tend to be a lot less asymmetric. DS invasions are a neat concept that I'm glad people enjoy, I just don't like them personally.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
Oh I found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFSsQsllPGg

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Castor Poe posted:

I give up, how do I cheese Nameless King?

I don't know about phase 2 but phase 1 just get something that hits the dragon in the head and roll around whenever you are not hitting it in the head. In phase 2 if you stand far away with a greatbow or css he will do a cool slow-walk toward you with occasional ranged attacks, ala Pontiff, till his health gets lower. At that point you will actually have to dodge.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

im not a fan of invasion and only really ember when im playing with friends or have killed a boss. i especially enjoy leading them on for a long time before my friend and i gank them, to make sure we also wasted their time on top of killing them.

ideally we were making jokes and talking about sports for like 15 minutes while he is searching for us and then he dies and i laugh.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Castor Poe posted:

If you're on PC and can at least dodge roll I can help you with it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Szcwczuk posted:

Chugging is the bane of PVP.

It's not even the healing part that I have a problem with. It was an invasion, not a summon, all bets are off, it's time to fight to win motherfucker. I just don't like how fast it all happens. If Estus wasn't instant healing, or if the animation took maybe twice as long, I think it'd be fine.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

im not a fan of invasion and only really ember when im playing with friends or have killed a boss. i especially enjoy leading them on for a long time before my friend and i gank them, to make sure we also wasted their time on top of killing them.

ideally we were making jokes and talking about sports for like 15 minutes while he is searching for us and then he dies and i laugh.

I think I'd much rather have this happen than someone pull the plug on me. At least in this situation if I die or whatever it's basically my fault, but every time I see "Connection Error" it just frustrates me lol

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The correct way to deal with invasions if you don't like them

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Szcwczuk posted:

SO knowing what we know about armor what would be the "best" armor to put on?

Also what rings do I want for a straight sword build?

Armor: Whatever you like the look of most that doesn't put you over 70% weight.

Rings: Chloranthy, Hornet if you're doing any PvP. Choose any - Havel's, Ring of Favor, Life Ring, Estus Ring, Prisoner's Chain, Knight's/Hunter's Ring, ___ ___plate Ring (swap as needed), Ring of Steel Protection, Carthus Milk/Bloodring.

You can make a good argument for any of them (and really even more than that). Try several things and find what you prefer.

I highly recommend Chloranthy in every build, though. I like the Ring of Favor and Life Ring quite a bit too, but that's personal preference. More HP and Stamina is always good.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I've never seen Heysel try to use chameleon on me but that's great, he's the best NPC invader. None of the others really try to use any dirty tricks or anything, they just run up and attack until somebody's dead.
Heysel still ain't got poo poo on Maldron.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

The typical invaded player either was forcefully embered by the game after defeating a boss or is trying to co-op with friends. Add to that how differently combat plays due to latency, it's no surprise many players dislike PvP.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Nakar posted:

Heysel still ain't got poo poo on Maldron.

Maldron is my loving dude

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Useless question that I'm sure the answer to is "Nope, sorry". Is there any way to make Fire Surge, well, approaching practical?

Regardless of it's damage, even with it's low cost per tick, you waste so goddamned much of it even spraying at a crowd of weak NPCs without feathering the button. Because if you use it cool flamethrower style, enemies will only get hit by about 1/4 the ticks if you keep the button held down.

But it's a cool flamethrower spell, so I keep wishing I knew how to get more out of it.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Creighton at least seems to TRY to use Hunter charms. He also took five minutes to show up so maybe he was hoping I'd run in through all the enemies I had already killed?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Alva still attacks me if my INT or FTH is high and I am a female character 0/10 game.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Tykero posted:

Armor: Whatever you like the look of most that doesn't put you over 70% weight.

Rings: Chloranthy, Hornet if you're doing any PvP. Choose any - Havel's, Ring of Favor, Life Ring, Estus Ring, Prisoner's Chain, Knight's/Hunter's Ring, ___ ___plate Ring (swap as needed), Ring of Steel Protection, Carthus Milk/Bloodring.

You can make a good argument for any of them (and really even more than that). Try several things and find what you prefer.

I highly recommend Chloranthy in every build, though. I like the Ring of Favor and Life Ring quite a bit too, but that's personal preference. More HP and Stamina is always good.

So how much extra damage do you take for using Prisoner's chain?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

They should have taken another cool note from DS2, a game with really good mechanics that got ignored, and let people burn embers at bonfires to prevent invasions.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Castor Poe posted:

press b

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Control Volume posted:

They should have taken another cool note from DS2, a game with really good mechanics that got ignored, and let people use poise

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Szcwczuk posted:

So how much extra damage do you take for using Prisoner's chain?

You take 10% more damage

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Control Volume posted:

They should have taken another cool note from DS2, a game with really good mechanics that got ignored, and let people burn embers at bonfires to prevent invasions.

Pretty sure this also blocked summons so babies would still be whining.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I'd love for someone to explain to me why the "feminine" slider in character creation makes your character's skin gray.

Internet Kraken posted:

I only just now noticed that all those hollow corpses on the Lothric HighWall aren't impaled on stakes. They are turning into loving trees. I don't know how I missed details like this.

Finally, the mystery of why flute boy turned into a tree of all loving things in Zelda: A Link to the Past has been answered.

Jerusalem posted:

Be warned, the moment you think this you'll get KOed by a trash mob.

I learned that lesson. Literally the moment I thought I had finally gotten gud I was killed by dogs.

By the way, gently caress the dogs in this game.

The Lord of Hats posted:

No, I'll just run into the Greatarrow Crossfire Zone. At least it doesn't seem that hard to run through...

:laugh: I'm so glad I accidentally ran into the giant before finding one of his zones of doom.

Mazerunner posted:

Like from where Patches traps you?

There's some coffins sticking out of the wall that form sort of a staircase. Or you do Sirris' questline until she gives you the the silvercat ring.

Also there's a kind of a 'secret' area- on the rooftop where the crow's nest is, there's a ledge running around it. Above the entrance, there's an opening so that you'll be in the rafters above the bonfire, along with a second crow nest. BUT there's also an illusory wall along the back, which leads to something nice that I forgot what it was

The Covetous Silver Serpent ring.

Harrow posted:

In my experience, I've rarely been invaded while solo and embered anywhere but Irithyll. I think twice total. However, if I ever summon a phantom, I get invaded almost instantly.

Last night I walked into the stupid lake beyond the Road of Sacrifice after beating the Deku tree. I was still embered and I swear to God, I got invaded by 4 people one after the other. I summoned a sunbro after hte first one and he and I worked together to get him all. Then the guy died to a crucifix guy.

Probably because I used Sword Master to kill dancer early to make my spells for this Sorcerer usable.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

I never burned a human effigy, but assuming that's what it did, it sounds like it's functionally the same as just not using an Ember. Fancy that :v:

(okay fine you don't get the 30% HP boost)

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You guys mistake my irritation at invasion as a call for banning them or whatever. I think the invasion mechanic is fun. I just don't like that I get nothing for winning and they lose nothing for losing. If it's all tense and I have to use estus, and it's a tough battle it's really cool to see "invader defeated"....now you have no estus and nothing to show for it bit wasted time and/or dead buddies who were gonna help you kill the boss..
It'd be slick if it gave a bunch of souls, estus refills, some other item as a consolation for almost dying. And invaders having their souls be where they died is a p cool penalty as well.

Btw where do you get giant seeds?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Does anyone else feel like Archdragon Peak was supposed to be a PvP area like the rat zones in 2? You've got the NPCs there that endlessly summon 'invaders' except the invaders are all NPCs as well. Plus it feels like there was supposed to be a covenant there that was pulled at the last minute. There's even that developer message about 'to walk the path of the dragon, do not ring the bell' or something like that. Which is pointless, because you can ring the bell and continue to do whatever you want in the level, either before or after killing NK. In general it feels a little bit like a zone that wasn't quite finished, and they just sanded off the rough edges and threw it out as-is.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Road of Sacrifice and Irithyll are PvP Hotzones, you're basically guaranteed to catch an invasion or two while you're there.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

turtlecrunch posted:

It's 0 risk to just fight the invader, other then losing the ember. You should just fight them and have a good time.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Man faron keep is pretty awful now. Maybe I'm just unlucky but 3/4ths of the invasions on me were people with endgame rings and weapons like the black knight glaive. I wound up just saying hell with it and sprinting the zones and entering the boss doors with a bunch of people chasing after me, which was fun in a completely different way.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

JetsGuy posted:

:laugh: I'm so glad I accidentally ran into the giant before finding one of his zones of doom.

Oh, it's not that I'm having issues with, it's the area in Irithyll after the Pontiff where there's like 5 black knights or something firing greatarrows at you.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

JetsGuy posted:

I'd love for someone to explain to me why the "feminine" slider in character creation makes your character's skin gray.
Also why the masculine side mush all your facial features into the dead center of your face?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The Lord of Hats posted:

Oh, it's not that I'm having issues with, it's the area in Irithyll after the Pontiff where there's like 5 black knights or something firing greatarrows at you.

head to the last ramp up, where the silver knight on the mid-point is. Get his attention in melee, roll off onto the platform below that has the stairs going up. If he follows you, kill him in privacy, if he doesn't he won't be bothering you. Then just go up the stairs and slowly fight them one-by-one.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

BobTheJanitor posted:

Does anyone else feel like Archdragon Peak was supposed to be a PvP area like the rat zones in 2? You've got the NPCs there that endlessly summon 'invaders' except the invaders are all NPCs as well. Plus it feels like there was supposed to be a covenant there that was pulled at the last minute. There's even that developer message about 'to walk the path of the dragon, do not ring the bell' or something like that. Which is pointless, because you can ring the bell and continue to do whatever you want in the level, either before or after killing NK. In general it feels a little bit like a zone that wasn't quite finished, and they just sanded off the rough edges and threw it out as-is.

its more like the abyss area from DS2 with all the phantoms and the darklurker

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Jastiger posted:

You guys mistake my irritation at invasion as a call for banning them or whatever. I think the invasion mechanic is fun. I just don't like that I get nothing for winning and they lose nothing for losing. If it's all tense and I have to use estus, and it's a tough battle it's really cool to see "invader defeated"....now you have no estus and nothing to show for it bit wasted time and/or dead buddies who were gonna help you kill the boss..
It'd be slick if it gave a bunch of souls, estus refills, some other item as a consolation for almost dying. And invaders having their souls be where they died is a p cool penalty as well.

For winning, you get to keep your entourage of phantoms and your ember.

If the red loses, they drop their souls where they died in your world. They have to make it to them and pick them up or they lose them. That's their penalty.
If the deck was any further stacked against invaders you probably wouldn't even see any.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Jastiger posted:

Play offline

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
The area defense covenants don't seem to prioritize groups like using red eye orb does, so you're basically guaranteed to get invaded by 2-4 Watchdogs or Faithful when you first get to the area. When I was doing Watchdogs the majority of my invasions were solo players who have yet to clear the area, and a lot of bad/new players who just died to monsters as soon as I got in.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Szcwczuk posted:

It's 0 risk to just fight the invader, other then losing the ember. You should just fight them and have a good time.

Why did you quote me?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Einwand posted:

Man faron keep is pretty awful now. Maybe I'm just unlucky but 3/4ths of the invasions on me were people with endgame rings and weapons like the black knight glaive. I wound up just saying hell with it and sprinting the zones and entering the boss doors with a bunch of people chasing after me, which was fun in a completely different way.

The password system letting you someone people across level boundaries (and scaling them down, to be fair) kinda kills low-level invasions dead. Sure, they're scaled-down, but they'll still have access to late-game weapons, spells, and rings and will ruin a "legitimate" low-level invader's day.

It's awesome for co-op, but it's death for low-level invasions.

ankle
Oct 30, 2010

I've had the Blue Sentinels/Darkmoon covenant item equipped for almost the entire game and I've never been summoned with it. Am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Einwand posted:

Babe Magnet posted:

here's a hot tip on how to go about this whole business:

loving don't because this is what "low level" dark souls is now

http://handbeezy.com/media/videos/371.webm