Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Edit: whoops wrong dog thread

Problem! fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I'm not sure if this belongs in some explicitly-vet thread, but-- as is obvious, the little girl got herself spayed, and also per vet instructions started up on heartgard, frontline, and a round of metronidazole to boot. I noticed this earlier--

I would think it's just some razorburn as opposed to an allergic reaction based on position, small area, and the fact that it doesn't seem to be bugging her overmuch, but should I be super concerned? And is there any sort of topical ointment that's worth getting for dogs, or is it usually a no-go because they just lick it off or whatever?

And yes, I will be sending this pic to the vet in the morning.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Honestly not sure what to do at this point. We've had the puppy for a week, and she's still whining constantly when are are gone. We live in an older house converted into apartments, and the neighbor upstairs is home during the day. If the puppy hears anybody moving around in the entrance or upstairs, she goes crazy.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Leave, wait until she is quiet, come back. Rinse and repeat.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Honestly not sure what to do at this point. We've had the puppy for a week, and she's still whining constantly when are are gone. We live in an older house converted into apartments, and the neighbor upstairs is home during the day. If the puppy hears anybody moving around in the entrance or upstairs, she goes crazy.

I've had mine for 7 weeks. She barks when I walk outside the gate to get the mail. She goes insane when we go out. She cries every night for 5-10 minutes. About once a week she decides she isn't sleeping at night at all.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Mr. Wookums posted:

Leave, wait until she is quiet, come back. Rinse and repeat.

This doesn't happen. If I go into another room behind a doggy fence, she sits at the fence and cries indefinitely until I come back. It's that bad.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
Check out the book "I'll be home soon" by Patricia McConnell. It's inexpensive and a quick read and had a lot of good advice for dealing with separation anxiety.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

This doesn't happen. If I go into another room behind a doggy fence, she sits at the fence and cries indefinitely until I come back. It's that bad.

I started my pup with 45 minute shits as he wouldn't be quiet when I was doing business there.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Butler lost a baby tooth! My months long acupuncture session may be drawing to a close!

loldance
Nov 30, 2005

It's laundry day; I'm down to my priest outfit.
Me going to the bathroom really helped out my dog with (mild) separation anxiety when I first got her. Especially one night where I got very drunk and was back and forth to take a piss every 10-20 minutes. She started out super upset and barky each time, but by the end of the night she was fine and probably just pitied me. But also, she was about a year old and obviously not too neurotic about it.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
solution: be drunk literally all the time

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

How your dog learned to stop worrying and love the crate - I've been doing the leave a treat in the crate for her to discover on her daily rummaging, and after two days of a few treats a day, she just randomly goes in her crate and digs around looking for treats. She doesn't stay in there even when there are treats- she just takes them out and eats them elsewhere. I am stepping it up with the stick her in the crate until she shuts up business, so we will see how that goes.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I got a baby gate so I could keep Belle in the bathroom since she was hurting herself trying to get out of her crate. On the first day she tore the webbing out of the frame, bled over the top of it somehow, and figured out she can just jump over the thing. Now I toss her in the bathroom, throw a few treats and random directions, and move as fast and as quietly as I can to the door. She usually beats me to it. Good dog.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

E: Training thread question.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 10, 2016

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

My greyhound has some rear right leg lameness. I did an examination of his paw, joints, and muscles, and there wasn't any distinct signs of pain from him. I've booked an appointment with the vent for Monday, but is there anything else I should check for or anything I can do WRT to some basic treatment?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Basically the same thing you'd do if you tweaked your knee: rest, ice/heat if you can pinpoint where the pain is and if he'll tolerate it, keep an eye on it.

There are so many different things it could be that all you can really do is try to keep it from getting worse till you can get a vet to look at it.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Hey, everyone! I'm popping in for some advice. My three year old catahoula, Ferris, fractured his back molar tooth and is scheduled to have it extracted this Thursday. For those of you with dogs who have had teeth extracted, after the extraction site has healed, have you ever needed to make considerations about their chews or toys? Ferris loves his nylabones, but I'm worried he won't be able to enjoy them the same way. :ohdear:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Official Bizness posted:

Hey, everyone! I'm popping in for some advice. My three year old catahoula, Ferris, fractured his back molar tooth and is scheduled to have it extracted this Thursday. For those of you with dogs who have had teeth extracted, after the extraction site has healed, have you ever needed to make considerations about their chews or toys? Ferris loves his nylabones, but I'm worried he won't be able to enjoy them the same way. :ohdear:

did the dog fracture the tooth ON the nylabones or something? I haven had a problem with that sort of thing after teeth extraction but those have been accidents from other things not cracking it on the toy.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Official Bizness posted:

My dog's had 7 teeth removed. He's not so good at tug anymore and eats a little slower but he's perfectly fine with everything else.

Soak your dog's kibble in water or get him a few cans of wet food for the first couple days post-extraction, he'll love you for it.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

SneakyFrog posted:

did the dog fracture the tooth ON the nylabones or something? I haven had a problem with that sort of thing after teeth extraction but those have been accidents from other things not cracking it on the toy.

No idea what he chomped down on, but it would have needed to be about the size of a quarter for him to open his mouth just wide enough to get the leverage he needed to apply enough pressure to crack the tooth. Any toy that becomes a choking hazard gets tossed, so I have no idea what he could have found in the house.

And soaking the kibble is a great idea, thanks!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Whelp, Belle took exception to the fiance and I leaving for lunch and ate a slice of cake with chocolate icing we had out where we thought it was out of reach. I'm not too worried about it as she was feeling fine when we got back, but I've got the Mrs. keeping an eye on her for changes.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Warbird posted:

Whelp, Belle took exception to the fiance and I leaving for lunch and ate a slice of cake with chocolate icing we had out where we thought it was out of reach. I'm not too worried about it as she was feeling fine when we got back, but I've got the Mrs. keeping an eye on her for changes.

I wouldnt be too worried, the froghorde managed to break into the pantry and eat an entire box of chocolate chocolate chip cookies, they all were a bit gassy but fine

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Dogs need to eat a pretty large amount of chocolate for it to be dangerous. And it usually has to be fairly dark stuff.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

This was some frosting can milk chocolate stuff from the local grocery store, so I doubt it will be an issue. If anything I'm more concerned about her getting gassy.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Yeah there are far more dangerous things than chocolate like grapes. Of course it's all anecdote but my sister had a beagle (bob) who got into my suitcase when I was visiting her. He ate an entire bag of gardettos snack mix and most of the packaging, a king size snickers bar, some York peppermint patties and some peanut butter crackers.

He was absolutely fine.

At another time in his life he got into his food while my sister was away. He ate what was left of the bag, a few pounds worth at least. He was swollen to where you could feel the food in his stomach and had to go to the vet to get his stomach pumped. I think he lived to 13 or 14. Pretty sure he was made of steel.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
there's actually surprisingly little chocolate in a snickers bar.

you can calculate the lethal amount for your dog here: http://www.petmd.com/dog/chocolate-toxicity

Blackish Sheep
Feb 3, 2007

Even cartoon me doesn't know what's going on.
I have a question in regards to housebreaking a dog who we can't crate. We got our one yr old husky pit(?) mix on Sunday, we were supposed to bring her home Friday but she had a bad reaction to anesthesia and nearly died. She ended up spending a whole weekend in a tiny crate at the E-vet (plus however long she was at the shelter) and she's completely traumatized. Now she has a cold and she feels like crap and just wants to lay on the couch or bed all day. When we brought her home we tried getting her comfortable with a small pen but she just escapes to go lay on the bed or whatever, which is fine for now since she doesn't seem interested in destroying anything or trying to lick the cats, but I know she'll probably start once she feels better. The real issue is that her idiot former owners trained her to use potty pads instead of housebreaking her. I'd like to use the umbilical method which I feel would work well to build her confidence and let her know that she's part of our family but I'm not sure what to do about the 2 days a week My husband and I are both at work. If we can't crate her or put her in a pen, then she's going to pee in the bathroom when we're gone and then I feel like we're back to square one. Besides hiring someone for two days a week until she learns to go outside, is there anything we can do?

Pics:

(I posted this in another thread but I figured this is the better thread to ask)

Edit: I should probably mention that other than this one issue she's the perfect dog. She's picked up commands quickly, we're working on pulling with a backpack harness with good results, and there's minimal fussing when we leave the apartment and no destructive chewing (yet...). I'm not a fan of her blowing snot everywhere but she's just about over this cold so I can deal for a couple more days. She's not yet interested in toys or kongs and she's a bit of a picky eater but she'll come around in time.

Blackish Sheep fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 19, 2016

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Blackish Sheep posted:

I have a question in regards to housebreaking a dog who we can't crate. We got our one yr old husky pit(?) mix on Sunday, we were supposed to bring her home Friday but she had a bad reaction to anesthesia and nearly died. She ended up spending a whole weekend in a tiny crate at the E-vet (plus however long she was at the shelter) and she's completely traumatized. Now she has a cold and she feels like crap and just wants to lay on the couch or bed all day. When we brought her home we tried getting her comfortable with a small pen but she just escapes to go lay on the bed or whatever, which is fine for now since she doesn't seem interested in destroying anything or trying to lick the cats, but I know she'll probably start once she feels better. The real issue is that her idiot former owners trained her to use potty pads instead of housebreaking her. I'd like to use the umbilical method which I feel would work well to build her confidence and let her know that she's part of our family but I'm not sure what to do about the 2 days a week My husband and I are both at work. If we can't crate her or put her in a pen, then she's going to pee in the bathroom when we're gone and then I feel like we're back to square one. Besides hiring someone for two days a week until she learns to go outside, is there anything we can do?

Pics:

(I posted this in another thread but I figured this is the better thread to ask)

Hi!

I myself have some experience with traumatized murderdogges.

I highly recommend starting over crate training. Start at absolutely square one and take it slow, a decent sized crate, put a pillow or a towel or something you dont mind getting ripped up and just leave it open.

Give treats and food regularly IN the crate and throw toys in there.

Lock up the dogge at night.

She may not like it now, but if it indeed is a pit mix at that age they get pretty boisterous and can be fairly destructive unsupervised.

my 2 cents, but i swear by crate training especially for housebreaking

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Confirming that Belle is not dead. May or may not be more gassy than usual.

Anyone have hot tips on expressing anal glands? She's got quite an odor from her backside and I figure it's time to take a swing at it. I've read a few different guides so I'm likely good. Would you all recommend gloves or am I ok without?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I think you should ask a vet. You can do damage if you don't know what you're doing. At least have a vet show you the proper way to do it before trying it at home the next time. Have them do it, and watch while they walk you through it.

And for the love of god, wear gloves.

Blackish Sheep
Feb 3, 2007

SneakyFrog posted:

Hi!

I myself have some experience with traumatized murderdogges.

I highly recommend starting over crate training. Start at absolutely square one and take it slow, a decent sized crate, put a pillow or a towel or something you dont mind getting ripped up and just leave it open.

Give treats and food regularly IN the crate and throw toys in there.

Lock up the dogge at night.

She may not like it now, but if it indeed is a pit mix at that age they get pretty boisterous and can be fairly destructive unsupervised.

my 2 cents, but i swear by crate training especially for housebreaking

We already have her sleeping in our bed. Will putting her in a crate at night make her upset?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Blackish Sheep posted:

We already have her sleeping in our bed. Will putting her in a crate at night make her upset?

start with a bed on the floor and work your way from there.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Blackish Sheep posted:

I at first let the dogs sleep in bed, then i kept acquiring them and was running out of room. besides.. it can make uhm :pervert: kinda awkward.

I just finally locked them up at night due to the huge pit snoring so goddamn loud it was unreal

Transition took a few days of whining/pawing at doors (earplugs help)

make sure they know the crate is a safe space, and NEVER use it like a discipline tool (no time outs in the crate)

all the puppies hang out in their crates half the time even when the doors are open, or they all pack into one :3:

Blackish Sheep
Feb 3, 2007

Thanks for the advice! I'll try it out tonight and report back.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Blackish Sheep posted:

Thanks for the advice! I'll try it out tonight and report back.

if its used to the bed its going to not be a good time. (usually)

again earplugs.

good luck

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Dog is lethargic, mopey, reluctant to eat, and has been obsessively licking her butt. Is this something I should be worried about enough to take her to the vet?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

pookel posted:

Dog is lethargic, mopey, reluctant to eat, and has been obsessively licking her butt. Is this something I should be worried about enough to take her to the vet?

how many days?

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
It started sometime yesterday. She's also acting weird - sitting down a lot, trying hard to poop but only pooping a little (regular poop, not hard chunks like she's constipated).

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

pookel posted:

It started sometime yesterday. She's also acting weird - sitting down a lot, trying hard to poop but only pooping a little (regular poop, not hard chunks like she's constipated).

feel the belly area, if its bloated but yeilding or soft it might be gas which is fine but if its all firm and stiff and bloated vet time.. dont panic or anything yet just keep a close eye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
It's bloated and medium-firm, but not tight, and she doesn't act like it bothers her when I poke at it (not sure if that matters).

Boyfriend pointed out that his dog acts like this after eating a sock, and she did get into the bathroom trash earlier this week and chew up some tissues. I didn't think she actually ate any, but she might have.

She's also supposed to get groomed today, and I'm not sure of the etiquette here - is it OK to bring her in when she's not feeling good? I think the heat is bothering her, too, and am hoping the haircut will make her feel better.