Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I think the idea behind a combo button would be that you would choose the desired result and it would build to that even if the abilities diverge at some earlier point in the chain.

Like my PLD would have a Halone combo button and an Authority button and I would choose the end result even if the first two steps are identical. That way it would be two buttons representing the four distinct abilities.

Efficient but probably less engaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

That said, I did do an anti tower last week where the healer said "please don't pull too big, I'm new" and the tank just said "no" and proceeded to pull as big as possible, on one occasion nearly locking a dps out of a boss room by pulling quickly. The tank seemed incensed, positively outraged that the healer didn't know about some of the nuances of the dungeon, like esunaing concussion (if only he had said he was new or something)

The healer did fine, to his credit, and I gave him a sympathy comm

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ainsley McTree posted:

That said, I did do an anti tower last week where the healer said "please don't pull too big, I'm new" and the tank just said "no" and proceeded to pull as big as possible, on one occasion nearly locking a dps out of a boss room by pulling quickly. The tank seemed incensed, positively outraged that the healer didn't know about some of the nuances of the dungeon, like esunaing concussion (if only he had said he was new or something)

The healer did fine, to his credit, and I gave him a sympathy comm

Two weeks ago in WoD a tank was being a douchebag and quickly pulled the bosses and two first timers in our mostly DGKK group got locked out a few times from cutscenes and not knowing the fastest racing line between boss fights. When we asked him to slow down he and his buddies refused to and actually pulled faster to compound the problem.

So when Cerberus came around we all sat outside the boss arena with our noobs because they were going to miss that fight too; the assholes trash talked our "lovely dps" and said they didn't need us. We danced and talked some poo poo back and watched them wipe at 4%. In retaliation, shitbird tank and a few friends then deliberately sat out the next round; we easily cleared. The noobs had a blast, we had a blast, and while I don't even imagine our point was internalized by the idiots (pulling bosses ten seconds faster doesn't save you any time when you lock folks out and lose their damage), sometimes you just have to push back at that kind of rear end in a top hat behavior.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
That was my fav wod. When their group stayed out and we cleared with ease anyway, it was the best.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Tortolia posted:

Two weeks ago in WoD a tank was being a douchebag and quickly pulled the bosses and two first timers in our mostly DGKK group got locked out a few times from cutscenes and not knowing the fastest racing line between boss fights. When we asked him to slow down he and his buddies refused to and actually pulled faster to compound the problem.

So when Cerberus came around we all sat outside the boss arena with our noobs because they were going to miss that fight too; the assholes trash talked our "lovely dps" and said they didn't need us. We danced and talked some poo poo back and watched them wipe at 4%. In retaliation, shitbird tank and a few friends then deliberately sat out the next round; we easily cleared. The noobs had a blast, we had a blast, and while I don't even imagine our point was internalized by the idiots (pulling bosses ten seconds faster doesn't save you any time when you lock folks out and lose their damage), sometimes you just have to push back at that kind of rear end in a top hat behavior.

Yeah I've noticed that 24 man raids tend to be the exception to the "people are so nice" trend. I don't think you can get 24 gamers in a group before nature takes over. Honestly it's part of the fun of those clusterfucks, though. God bless the bone zone

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Truga posted:

I've had maybe 10 bad experiences out of >1000 DF runs. :shrug:

Your tolerance must be really high then, for my experience is 10 good runs in 1000

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Don't get me wrong, if people are taking three minutes to get between fights then lock them out, but when folks are missing out by seconds and folks are asking you to slow down a hair, slow the gently caress down.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Tortolia posted:

Don't get me wrong, if people are taking three minutes to get between fights then lock them out, but when folks are missing out by seconds and folks are asking you to slow down a hair, slow the gently caress down.

It's basically the in-game version of some of the hyperbolic "logic" you sometimes see in OF posts (or here for that matter :v:). Clearly the only possible solution to the dilemma of having to wait forever for that really slow straggler is to pull ABSOLUTELY IMMEDIATELY JESUS CHRIST THERE WILL BE AN APOCALYPSE IF WE DON'T PULL RIGHT loving NOW.

Clearly. Surely nobody could come up with a reasonable solution in between those two extremes, that's just silly.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ilifinicus posted:

Your tolerance must be really high then, for my experience is 10 good runs in 1000

Were you the tank in my antitower run

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ilifinicus posted:

I mean, this is just a theory, but if nearly every run you're in is poo poo, maybe it's not other people that are the problem :v:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Truga posted:

I mean, this is just a theory, but if nearly every run you're in is poo poo, maybe it's not other people that are the problem :v:

Hell, in 90% of my DF runs no one says a word, we clear and move on. Most of the rest all that gets said is hello at the beginning and thanks at the end.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
PvP will always be awful because it's divided fairly evenly into two camps: "I'm not having fun unless i'm trying to win" and "having fun is more important than trying to win". These two groups don't get along at all, and the latter will refuse to follow simple instructions just to stick it to the former.

Weltnarok
Dec 27, 2009

Athenry posted:

Hell, in 90% of my DF runs no one says a word, we clear and move on. Most of the rest all that gets said is hello at the beginning and thanks at the end.

My problem in most of my experts isn't the people, it's how mind numbingly boring the dungeons are themselves. It feels like I've been doing the same dungeon over and over since the expansion launched.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
The community in this game is awful because it's no so much nice as it is silent. It's like there's an agreement to stay perfectly silent any time there's a gently caress up in a dungeon, no one offers any advice or comments since odds are the person who hosed up will get angry that you'd dare give them advice.

100% of my PVP games have been whinefests even though 100% of my PVP games have been wins. gently caress PVP that 1 game is the last one I'll play

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

isk posted:

This morning's A8 included a healer so honest, he tried to turret heal through every Super Jump, Mega Beam, and Apocalyptic Ray.

On thursday our EXDR had a healer so honest that when we asked them to drop Eos for Selene for better DPS they quit instead. The WHM we got as a replacement was not an Honest Healer. :unsmith:

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Truga posted:

It's extremely common to run into players in DF that are not using half of their class features or using them extremely poorly, especially DPS. Black mages at 60 not using Enochian at all ever, Ninjas not using Huton or Poison, Monks spamming tornado kick on cooldown, dragoons never using blood of the dragon, machinists/bards not using gauss barrel or minuet and so on.

That isn't even getting into the equally common occurrences of healers never DPSing at all, DPS never AoEing at all on trash pulls of 6+ mobs, tanks poorly grouping up mobs so they can't be effectively AoE'd, or people using half the number of GCDs they should be using because they're just not pushing buttons.

Combine all of those things and it's pretty easy to have a very mediocre or outright bad time 9.9 times out of 10.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
the average is actually 2/10 so you are contributing the 7.9, consider that

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

ArtIsResistance posted:

The community in this game is awful because it's no so much nice as it is silent. It's like there's an agreement to stay perfectly silent any time there's a gently caress up in a dungeon, no one offers any advice or comments since odds are the person who hosed up will get angry that you'd dare give them advice.

This is 100% preferable to always having some idiot full of themselves going off on someone whenever they make a mistake.. Besides, across all the mmo's I have played nobody ever wants to listen to advice so claiming it's some failing of the ff14 community and not people in general seems ridiculous. "Do something besides heroic strike,." is the "please use overpower" of WoW and was listened to exactly as often there, which is to say never.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
This game is unbelievable. I didn't notice the tiny text in the OP about Steam and PC versions being different, so I started installing the free trial on Steam and went ahead and tried to buy the game on the NA Square Enix website, not knowing the difference. Only I kept getting bugged about logging into the MogStation and decided to buy $50 worth of Crysta on the https://secure.square-enix.com/account/ website thinking it was like a Steam Wallet currency I could use to purchase the game and subscriptions at a later date. Only no wait, Crystas are absolutely worthless and can't be used with the https://store.na.square-enix.com site. So I bought the $9.99 full game there and had to wait like an hour to get access to the PC Game Key, which is in itself a loving joke for a Digital Download. I then find out cannot be used to upgrade the Steam Trial version of the game. By the way, did you know that Steam offers a free demo access in Hong Kong but doesn't offer you a way to pay for the game through Steam?

Not only am I hosed out of $60 for even attempting to give this game a chance, I now have no way to even turn the account with the $60 worth of content from a Steam Trial version into a fully fledged PC version. I have been unable to find a way to close the Steam Trial account and see if I can get a PC account version of the game going somehow, my only idea being to wait out the rest of the 14 day trial. Does anyone have any ideas, or am I in the right track of mind with how completely loving stupid this system is? And I thought Ubisoft/Sim City was bad.

Kill All Cops fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 3, 2016

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Contact support.

The Steam implementation is pants-on-head bonkers.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Yeah, I just did it for both sites. I still don't have a way I can figure out to close the Steam Trial version of the game on the account, but if I can refund everything I can just create a new account entirely I guess.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Virulence posted:

Combine all of those things and it's pretty easy to have a very mediocre or outright bad time 9.9 times out of 10.

See, I kinda notice that poo poo, but it doesn't really piss me off in any way, because I'm having fun aoe bombing everything. What I do notice is "oh, look, 12 minutes left on protect, we did pretty ok for a DF group" when I load back onto Excalibur.

What I'm saying is, this game needs better trash fights. Trash fights own.

e:

Lady Galaga posted:

Yeah, I just did it for both sites. I still don't have a way I can figure out to close the Steam Trial version of the game on the account, but if I can refund everything I can just create a new account entirely I guess.

You'll likely have to do this, though support generally helpful when there's cash involved as far as I know.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Do you have another email address? Change the Square account email.

edit: oh. crap. didn't see the responses.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Also, the steam/not steam split is super stupid and dumb, and we just don't know who's doing it, SE or Valve. I guess I'd bet on both, corporate asshattery goes a long way, especially in gaming. :v:

Maybe putting a :siren:steam warning:siren: on top of the OP wouldn't be a bad idea.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
EDIT: ^^ It is most definitely a Square Enix issue. I doubt Steam were begging them to include the game on their platform, and though they had a definite hand in facilitating the process, SE are the ones unable to devise a system to link everything together. They couldn't even link the Crysta stuff with their NA version of the site for christ's sake, and I think you all know about the games early losses that justify SE seeking any and all avenues of revenue to try and recuperate that loss.

Yeah, sorry to continue to bitch about this for multiple posts but it really needs to be in giant capital letters in the OP that Steam Trial and PC versions of the game are different. Like I said, I started playing the free trial on Steam as I thought it would've been easy, but since my country doesn't let me purchase the game on Steam it has turned into one giant headache. I'm so glad I only played for a couple hours before attempting to purchase it rather than play out the 14 days completely.

Kill All Cops fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 3, 2016

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Weltnarok posted:

My problem in most of my experts isn't the people, it's how mind numbingly boring the dungeons are themselves. It feels like I've been doing the same dungeon over and over since the expansion launched.

Because you are. The HW dungeons follow the same formula for every dungeon. So while they may cover it with a new coat of paint, after a few runs that novelty wears off and your back to the linear 3 trash halls, 3 bosses, and 6+ forced stops that's been every single HW dungeon.

Axle_Stukov fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 3, 2016

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
Im still new to the game and I havent made it into the expansion content yet. Still doing main scenario quests and good god there is so much. Ive really enjoyed the dungeon boss fights. Since I havent run them until my eyes bleed, Ive found them to be an absolute blast. I did Watcher of the Lake last night and the final fight was just silly with all the aoe. The fiery death aoe caught me by surprise, it was much faster then I expected. Im sure the novelty of it will wear off, but so far the game overall has been addicting. Im current a 52 ninja, and Im really enjoying the ninjutsu system the combat seems much more involved then other mmos ive played.

I did have a question, ive seen people talk about poetics, and needing thousands of them. Should I be saving the ones I am getting from running dungeons? Im assuming you also need to turn them into something else because I have a cap of 2000. Im guessing it is for the relic weapons/upgrades at 60. Ive looked at some of the stuff for that and it seems very complicated.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Truga posted:

Ah yes the awful problem of being better than 99% of the game's population. Obviously the solution is to shut up and be terrible at the game like everyone else.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just spend your poetics tomes on gear. Don't hoard an infinite resource on the off chance that 2-3 months down the road you might have an alternate use for them.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Ah yes the awful problem of being better than 99% of the game's population. Obviously the solution is to shut up and be terrible at the game like everyone else.

Well considering it was in reference to ilifinicus, while I don't doubt that their actual gameplay outdid the random pubbies, I'm a bit more hesitant to assume that any social conflicts in those parties were pubbie-instigated.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

If 99% of his DF runs are slow as poo poo, that's entirely his fault because mine aren't is what I was saying. But I guess yes, if you're such a big bitch to be bothered waiting an extra 30 seconds before the dungeon ends, and start throwing shitfits about it slowing it additionally, that's an issue too.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I pvp for my weekly lore instead of running the roulettes because I can't stand doing the same dungeon again and again, but I quite like to pvp. If I ever get behind enough that I need to do expert, I don't remember the dungeons well enough that it's kind of fun. I kind of think doing the same thing over and over again probably contributes to people getting annoyed by little things, though.

Don't ask me how I can stand doing pvp over and over again. I'd like to say that increasing the number of Frontline maps and games, as well as the Feast maps, might help cool heads, but this is pvp. I still don't get why there isn't a level 60 version of Borderlands or why Frontline roulette so rarely drops you in Borderland.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I don't speak in DF runs because it's like talking to a brick wall that replies with SA forum posts

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

ilifinicus posted:

I don't speak in DF runs because it's like talking to a brick wall that replies with SA forum posts

There goes my explanation of unusual slowdowns, then.

My general pubbie expectation when I solo queue for an expert is around a 20-minute run for geared-ish people who may not be on their mains but haven't been horribly neglecting the job either (so, 210 or so) and more or less know what they're doing.

Naturally it's faster with competent-playing and/or better geared people, but also naturally, I have no reason to expect that unless I partially or entirely pre-form the party, so it's more of a nice surprise than a standard expectation if it happens randomly when I solo queue.

And of course, distributions being what they are, sometimes you get people who are much more poorly geared and/or don't play very well, and then the run can stretch out considerably longer too. But this too is fairly uncommon, so it's also a surprise (just an unfortunate one).

Hmm... I should start collecting statistics I suppose. That'd be the best way to get around confirmation bias.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Lmao I just figured it out, I still have the issue of Crystas on my other account, but I just used the game key with a new email and it worked out. The stuff that does work in the game for the benefit of the user feels like a fluke sometimes, other examples being how I can save my appearance across accounts and how clicking the OK button repeatedly makes the deleting a character timer go down faster.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Drumstick posted:

Ive looked at some of the stuff for that and it seems very complicated.

The gear you can get at 52 is just as good as what you can get through poetics, so don't bother with that. I'd suggest using all of your poetics to buy Unidentified Shells until you have 20 of them, then buy Unidentified Bones until you also have 20 of those. There are 4 types of items you need 20 of for the giant grind of the level 60 relic, and getting a head start now by not wasting poes will be a godsend by the time you are actually doing the relic in earnest

Bulk Slabhead
Oct 18, 2013

Truga posted:

If 99% of his DF runs are slow as poo poo, that's entirely his fault because mine aren't is what I was saying. But I guess yes, if you're such a big bitch to be bothered waiting an extra 30 seconds before the dungeon ends, and start throwing shitfits about it slowing it additionally, that's an issue too.

This is wrong. The general community of this game can be quite bad, as in "I queue for exdr as a fresh i203 DRG and manage to rip hate off the i220 tank" bad. I've had Antitower runs that have taken like 40 minutes because people just do not know how to press their buttons properly.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Having the parser open often lets me know who is absolutely dismal, but I keep it open anyway so I can appreciate those "holy poo poo that black mage is doing 2300 dps" moments and commend appropriately :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

The Official Forums posted:

meh, I'm just getting bored of a realm reborn. I mean heavensward. They're kinda the same thing when you take out the story and flying. I could've worn I bought an expansion...

What the hell does browntown even think an expansion is?

• Locked thread