Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
There's a lot of hubbub made about how fair Souls games are and that's mostly true, but they absolutely do not respect the player's time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

HMS Boromir posted:

There's a lot of hubbub made about how fair Souls games are and that's mostly true, but they absolutely do not respect the player's time.

Yeah, I've heard more than one person say they can't get into the Souls series, not because the game is unfair or difficult, but because when you gently caress up you might have to repeat a considerable amount of game. Some people don't mind either way, some people actively enjoy that, and some people think that's an unfair or excessive imposition because they want to get back to trying the boss again, not churn through a dozen assholes over and over.

Good episode on that very subject from Idle Weekend a week or two ago actually.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Having no cap makes that worse, not better.

I just want some sort of catch up thing, even a single week rollover would be nice. As it is now if you had to take a break for any reason your choice is to then spend a solid day running the same dungeons over and over before 12 am Tuesday morning hits or be left behind until the next token cycle happens. Doesn't help that when you do chain run dungeons on the last 2 days of the week you just got complete idiots left over who can't be assed to hit any other key then "1" over and over. Sometimes they wont even do that, they'll just auto attack and tab out.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

Speaking of Dark Souls, one thing that's been super annoying throughout the entire series and various side games is how they handle NPCs. It's all very fiddly and if you don't do things in a specific way that you have no way of knowing about you can miss out on items and events. Like in Bloodborne I completely missed out on a character because I didn't go into a side area in the starting zone and if you progress too far the character despawns from there and never shows up again.

This is a good argument to use for when people say Dark Souls isn't a JPRG. Fiddly annoying sidequests that you'd probably have to have a guide open to find.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

The turn limit in Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires can hardly be described as dragging the game down as you'd usually have to deliberately run into it but nonetheless, I'm going to complain about and overanalyse it.

1) If for some (insane) reason you are playing a very long game you could find it coming to an arbitrary end which is all the more annoying as there is seemingly no reason for it.
2) The story reason is "A tribe in the north is looking to expand it's influence". The implication that a tribe could just overrun the entire nation without contest kinda makes the war that comprises the entire game sound trivial.
3) Also, that reason is such a tease. This war game is coming to end because of a bigger war against a large, formidable enemy that you will never get to fight and the character and empire you've spent so long building go down like chumps off screen.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I have no problem with obtuse branching sidequests that 99% of the time I probably won't get during a blind run-through of the game. However I would like them to at least work predictably once you know the order of events. Dark Souls 3 is probably the worst in the series in this regard; the game in its current state seems to just bug out character quests which potentially leads to a huge waste of time unless you back up your save.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Having to get back to where you were in a level when you die makes sense, but for bosses not being able to go right back to the boss is definitely a really dumb waste of time that they have dutifully put in every single game. It adds nothing to the game whatsoever and actually impedes your ability to get better.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Digirat posted:

Having to get back to where you were in a level when you die makes sense, but for bosses not being able to go right back to the boss is definitely a really dumb waste of time that they have dutifully put in every single game. It adds nothing to the game whatsoever and actually impedes your ability to get better.

While this may be true, almost every level has some sort of shortcut you can unlock that makes the run from the bonfire to the boss door trivial, assuming you find it.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Digirat posted:

That's no worse than your average rpg where you might have to deal with going back to the intro screen and at least some bit of walking instead. Plus the fights are pretty short, especially if you're terrible, so it's still better than fighting a boss for 30 minutes only for him to pull out some bullshit move that kills your whole party in two turns when he's down to his last bit of hp. Even the hardest bosses that took me over a dozen tries to kill I still managed in a couple hours.

I'll agree that it's stupid that some of the hardest/cheapest bosses have the longest walks, though.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Max posted:

While this may be true, almost every level has some sort of shortcut you can unlock that makes the run from the bonfire to the boss door trivial, assuming you find it.

This sucks when the shortcut isn't super obvious and you put the game down for a couple months. I know that in Bloodborne I have to kill the Bloodstarved Beast next, I've died to it already, then I moved and by the time I got the PS4 out of storage I had no idea how to get back there.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Perestroika posted:

Speaking of DS3, and I'm aware that some people probably consider this a feature rather than a failing, but the way how some bosses don't have a bonfire anywhere near them is pretty drat annoying. I'm pretty new to the series so most bosses take me several tries, and the experience is not really improved by having to start each new attempt by having to trudge five minutes along an already too familiar path and killing the same dozen trash enemies along the way every time.

Seath the Scaleless is the worst boss in DS1 because of this. I thought the path to his fight was poo poo the first time I did it and then I had to do it another few times just to make sure I hated it.

I think the Taurus demon is probably the poster child of how to do a boss run right if you're going to do one. The entire run is just normal enemies in a normal placement. You're just running a part of the level and getting better at fighting/bypassing the enemies. A lot of other bosses just seem to be full of bullshit runs. The gargoyles are terrible because of that stupid swarm room of enemies you don't care about plus either an elevator ride or a long bridge run. Capra demon is a long-rear end run through boring poo poo until you hit the dogs and assassins (or a run through ambushing backstabbers). Etc. I think maybe 6 runs in the entire game + DLC don't seem like useless busywork or annoying poo poo.

I'm actually playing through the game yet again and I realised It makes me not want to experiment. I always give up trying a new strategy on a boss real quick and revert to the same way I've always beat the boss. Which is also the safest way to beat the boss. Because gently caress having to make a run back because I messed up a risky strategy.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tengames posted:

this reminds me, I wanted to amend my previous discussion in that the first area of dark souls 3 is incredibly hard, if you don't choose the knight. I started with cleric and that class's sheild might as well be tossed in the trash the moment you start the game. meanwhile the knight has a 100% phsyical block sheild that every startng enemy just gets stunned upon trying to hit. Hell, you can farm the priest's sacred chime before the first point, put points in faith,and be a cleric with some better equipment, and even get the cleric's clothing later if you want to wear it. Infact, the cleric class doesn't even start with the full cleric armor set,they are missing the hat and have to loot a 2nd copy of the set for it like everyone else.

I re-started the game twice before I finally found a class that helped the start not be such a slog(warrior was my pick), its very strange because in most Souls game I've never had this kind of trouble, I could just start with whomever but Souls 3 felt very different in that regard.

quote:

I have no problem with obtuse branching sidequests that 99% of the time I probably won't get during a blind run-through of the game. However I would like them to at least work predictably once you know the order of events. Dark Souls 3 is probably the worst in the series in this regard; the game in its current state seems to just bug out character quests which potentially leads to a huge waste of time unless you back up your save.

This also, they where quite obtuse in the earlier games but are far worse in DS3, the absolute shittiest thing about is that unlike the previous games, there's one particular quest that affects your ending and you would have no idea how you blundered into without a walkthrough.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Alteisen posted:

This also, they where quite obtuse in the earlier games but are far worse in DS3, the absolute shittiest thing about is that unlike the previous games, there's one particular quest that affects your ending and you would have no idea how you blundered into without a walkthrough.

I happened to complete that quest on my first playthrough without looking anything up. But then I chose to summon the fire keeper after the final boss, because the other choice was "Kindle the first flame" which was literally the OPPOSITE of what that questline was about! :argh:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nuebot posted:

That's pretty much what Vacuous means, but calling it "Rom the Stupid Spider" would seem kind of ill fitting.

I've heard that the Japanese word used is more like "idiotic" or "retarded" than a simple "stupid". So I guess "vacuous" was a pretty good choice.

Perestroika posted:

Speaking of DS3, and I'm aware that some people probably consider this a feature rather than a failing, but the way how some bosses don't have a bonfire anywhere near them is pretty drat annoying. I'm pretty new to the series so most bosses take me several tries, and the experience is not really improved by having to start each new attempt by having to trudge five minutes along an already too familiar path and killing the same dozen trash enemies along the way every time.

DS3 is by far the easiest game in the series in this regard, just fyi.

ro5s posted:

Those jailers dragged down the game for me. I kept getting my health drained whenever I was trying to fight them so badly that I thought I was missing something obvious. I look them up online and nope, they drain your health if they've got line of sight, gently caress you.

Souls games are usually pretty fair and that stood out really badly to me.

If you can kill them they notice you they won't their red lantern thing which is what actually drains your health. Kind of tough to do a lot of the time, though.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Are those health draining enemies anything like the ones in Bloodborne that raise your frenzy meter for being near them?

I still haven't gotten past the nightmare frontier because of those things.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Alteisen posted:

Are those health draining enemies anything like the ones in Bloodborne that raise your frenzy meter for being near them?

They feel worse but they killed me less than those brain things did (as in, the frenzy thing killed me). The ones in DS3 just drain your max health down as you're in line of sight of them, seems to have a minimum though and they're pretty lovely enemies so killing them is trivial, just makes a slipup more costly.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

You all realize that the jailer health drain is temporary, right? You get your max health back like ten seconds later; the only time they're remotely a threat is the room at the end with like eight of them

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ro5s posted:

Those jailers dragged down the game for me. I kept getting my health drained whenever I was trying to fight them so badly that I thought I was missing something obvious. I look them up online and nope, they drain your health if they've got line of sight, gently caress you.

Souls games are usually pretty fair and that stood out really badly to me.

Honestly the jailers stand out to me a lot, not just for the health drain but because their animations don't really make sense. They have what is most likely the fastest grab in the game. I swear there is no actual animation for the grab, if you're close to them, no matter what animation you're in the middle of, they can just grab you and slam you on the ground and destroy you. If that doesn't kill you, they're free to do it again before you get back up. Other enemies can too like the unarmed goat dudes in the swamp, but they have an animation at least, the jailer's grab animation is the shortest loving thing.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Alteisen posted:

They're nowhere near as bad, imo. When they see you they moan and hold up a lantern that lowers your max hp when its light falls on you. You get it back after like 20 seconds, though.

You can just run right past the winter lanterns in the nightmare frontier. Frenzy does something like 80% of your max health so if you're at full health you won't die. Or, if you parry their grab and hit them with a visceral attack the frenzy will often trigger during the visceral, when you're invulnerable, so you'll take no damage. They sure do suck though. At least they're only in optional areas.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

My gut reaction to all of you complaining about runs to bosses is: f you didn't have to run to a boss, how would people ever invade your game and stop you from getting to the boss?

But then I realized that I play the game like someone who hates invasions. I purposefully kill myself after every boss so nobody bothers me. Some rear end in a top hat was invading everyone in a pvp hotspot this weekend and glitching them out with hacked weapons to flag them for a hacking ban so I especially didn't want to PvP today. I dove off cliffs and collected my poo poo where it was safe and ran past every enemy to boss fights to re-ember up and just enter the fog door and quit if I couldn't summon and someone invaded.

The game might be fun someday but for right now poise doesn't exist and everyone just fishes for parries and it looks incredibly boring. I can't really parry on purpose so the current PvP meta looks like wave dashing voodoo or some poo poo to me. They say it's easy but I don't really want to play a game where there's a "gently caress you I win" button that everyone else can press but I can't find. When I play against someone as scrubby as me and win or lose without parrying or backstabs it's kind of cool, though those are few and far between. There's a ring that reduces backstabs but not the punishment stabs you get after getting parried so I don't know. I think I'm done for a while unless my friends need help.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
play offline

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There's an option to play offline, just check it in the options menu, generally I play offline in any new area and go online when the boss is dead so I can get summoned.

And this is my average PvP in souls experience so I don't really bother.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Alteisen posted:

There's an option to play offline, just check it in the options menu, generally I play offline in any new area and go online when the boss is dead so I can get summoned.

And this is my average PvP in souls experience so I don't really bother.

If not that, then it's the fact that most of the PVP player base are just the worst people who min/max and invade in the highwall, or use the same stock dark sword build because it's good at PVP forever. I like the dark souls PVP, I like using different builds. But it gets really boring when everyone else uses the same builds.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Ghosts, bloodstains and messages are cool and good and having to miss out on those to avoid invasions sucks. The correct solution is DS1's (and 3's?) hollowing system.

I played through Guild of Dungeoneering recently and it was fun, but holy gently caress it felt waaay too random. I could be stacked on card draw and good attacks/blocks and sometimes the game would just say no, this fight you're going to get nothing but lovely damage cards and die. Wouldn't have been so bad if it didn't force you to restart the dungeon.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Krinkle posted:

My gut reaction to all of you complaining about runs to bosses is: f you didn't have to run to a boss, how would people ever invade your game and stop you from getting to the boss?

But then I realized that I play the game like someone who hates invasions. I purposefully kill myself after every boss so nobody bothers me. Some rear end in a top hat was invading everyone in a pvp hotspot this weekend and glitching them out with hacked weapons to flag them for a hacking ban so I especially didn't want to PvP today. I dove off cliffs and collected my poo poo where it was safe and ran past every enemy to boss fights to re-ember up and just enter the fog door and quit if I couldn't summon and someone invaded.

The game might be fun someday but for right now poise doesn't exist and everyone just fishes for parries and it looks incredibly boring. I can't really parry on purpose so the current PvP meta looks like wave dashing voodoo or some poo poo to me. They say it's easy but I don't really want to play a game where there's a "gently caress you I win" button that everyone else can press but I can't find. When I play against someone as scrubby as me and win or lose without parrying or backstabs it's kind of cool, though those are few and far between. There's a ring that reduces backstabs but not the punishment stabs you get after getting parried so I don't know. I think I'm done for a while unless my friends need help.

are jump attacks still mostly unparryable? just do those when you see someone fishing for parries

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Boreal Valley is just unfun. I would rather go back to not-Izalith.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Len posted:

The Boreal Valley is just unfun. I would rather go back to not-Izalith.

If you're just starting out in that area the best advice is to just run through that early part to the next bonfire. All of the annoying enemies in that area are in that particular path between the bonfire after the barrier and the next. The rest of the area isn't too bad once you get through.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

If you're just starting out in that area the best advice is to just run through that early part to the next bonfire. All of the annoying enemies in that area are in that particular path between the bonfire after the barrier and the next. The rest of the area isn't too bad once you get through.

I am just starting out so I'll give that a shot. Those guys have entirely too much drat stamina.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I had pretty much the same problem when I did that part. The tall guys just kept on constantly wrecking my poo poo but once you get past them it switches to a different kind of enemy with a new gimmick.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I had pretty much the same problem when I did that part. The tall guys just kept on constantly wrecking my poo poo but once you get past them it switches to a different kind of enemy with a new gimmick.

I had no problem with the tall dudes because I had a big sword. For me it was the fire witches who if the AI felt like it could just spam that instant explosion skill on you and chain-stun you to death.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Yep past the tall guys and things are going pretty good now. I found a second bonfire and Siegward. Which is good because he is my favorite NPC so far. Dude owns.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Gitro posted:

Ghosts, bloodstains and messages are cool and good and having to miss out on those to avoid invasions sucks. The correct solution is DS1's (and 3's?) hollowing system.

:same:
I head back to Firelink between bosses anyways so I kill myself there to stop pvp. It's just like I was playing Demon Souls and controlling world tendency all over again :haw:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Dawn of War 3 was just announced, and as with every Warhammer game, it comes the favorite little that they've included that you didn't expect them to, and the thing they didn't include that's dragging it down.

In is case, sweet, you can build Imperial Knights! But aw man, only three races until they make an expansion.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
The swimming in Dishonored is absolutely abysmal. As I'm playing with a controller, it's difficult to simultaneously hold my head above water, jump+Blink in an attempt to get out, and also avoid the stupid tiny Slaughterfish-wannabes that nibble my ankles. I'm loving this game as it is what the most recent Thief failed to be, but this water thing sucks.

I appreciate that there's almost never a need to swim with Blink II and Agility II, though. Getting to the Golden Cat to find Emily on the top floor took me about 45 seconds with that combo.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Dr Christmas posted:

Dawn of War 3 was just announced, and as with every Warhammer game, it comes the favorite little that they've included that you didn't expect them to, and the thing they didn't include that's dragging it down.

In is case, sweet, you can build Imperial Knights! But aw man, only three races until they make an expansion.

Barely including any races and being big on DLC is what they're doing now.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Overwatch's play of the game seems to be based of big multi kills.

I will never get meaningless recognition since I'm always the healer. :qq:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

QuietLion posted:

The swimming in Dishonored is absolutely abysmal. As I'm playing with a controller, it's difficult to simultaneously hold my head above water, jump+Blink in an attempt to get out, and also avoid the stupid tiny Slaughterfish-wannabes that nibble my ankles. I'm loving this game as it is what the most recent Thief failed to be, but this water thing sucks.

I appreciate that there's almost never a need to swim with Blink II and Agility II, though. Getting to the Golden Cat to find Emily on the top floor took me about 45 seconds with that combo.

The hostile fauna in Dishonored really felt like something from a different, worse game. The fish were a pain to fight, the barnacles with their pinpoint-accurate projectiles that attacked as soon you entered their line of sight were annoying as hell, and even the rats were mostly just a nuisance aside from a few scripted parts like the tutorial.

I'm kind of disappointed that Dishonored 2 is having yet another plague as a hook but at least the corpse flies seem like they'll be more passive and easier to control than turning a corner and having a swarm of rats descend on you.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I liked having some enemies in dishonored that you were actually allowed to shoot without causing Big Consequences, because that game gave you something like eight times as many ways to kill things as it did to subdue them nonlethally, but if you were going for low chaos then you weren't allowed to use any of them. I enjoyed having places where you really were free to go weapons hot, and I hope dishonored 2 does a lot more of that (just with maybe less annoying enemies).

Nuebot posted:

If not that, then it's the fact that most of the PVP player base are just the worst people who min/max and invade in the highwall, or use the same stock dark sword build because it's good at PVP forever. I like the dark souls PVP, I like using different builds. But it gets really boring when everyone else uses the same builds.

gently caress, are twinks as bad as in dark souls 1? I had a great time doing a coordinated coop run through dark souls 2 (we played through the whole game summoning each other in each area, used complimentary builds, etc) and was excited to do the same thing in dark souls 3. But with hackers corrupting saves and getting people flagged for softbans I'm worried about going through the whole game with potential invasions on, and we don't want to spend the entire first two areas getting chain killed by twinks, even if they aren't all hackers.

If there is one good thing about soul memory in dark souls 2, it's that it really did stop twinks early in the game. They are a sort of plague fungus that infects the online in this series.

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 21:08 on May 3, 2016

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

The hostile fauna in Dishonored really felt like something from a different, worse game. The fish were a pain to fight, the barnacles with their pinpoint-accurate projectiles that attacked as soon you entered their line of sight were annoying as hell, and even the rats were mostly just a nuisance aside from a few scripted parts like the tutorial.
Rats are cool because they teach you that you should never be touching the ground - the best way to play the game is always to be up high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Digirat posted:

gently caress, are twinks as bad as in dark souls 1? I had a great time doing a coordinated coop run through dark souls 2 (we played through the whole game summoning each other in each area, used complimentary builds, etc) and was excited to do the same thing in dark souls 3. But with hackers corrupting saves and getting people flagged for softbans I'm worried about going through the whole game with potential invasions on, and we don't want to spend the entire first two areas getting chain killed by twinks, even if they aren't all hackers.

If there is one good thing about soul memory in dark souls 2, it's that it really did stop twinks early in the game. They are a sort of plague fungus that infects the online in this series.

Invasion is based on SL and weapon upgrade level, so I guess it's not as bad as 1.