Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
OK, so the first set of justifications for the "appearance" argument, at 56-59, have to do with the appearance of coordination and still don't speak to amount spent. 59-60 appears to be what you're referring to, but even there Stevens' sources are just burden-shifting- they have no evidence of either influence or resultant cynicism except via the circularity of their own opinions. In particular, the "are seen to exert outsized control" at 59 is basically a self-fulfilling prophecy. I'm vaguely reminded of the debates around Hillary Clinton in YCS here- if I say an act signifies corruption loudly enough, then people will believe there is corruption, so therefore there is corruption, so therefore the act must be stopped.

Stevens raises his own desire for the court to enforce a public finance system and a fairness doctrine at FN 65, but he also immediately retreats from it (probably because he knows how at odds with conventional 1st Amd reasoning it is). The Souter dissent in WRTL v. FEC, flawed though it is, is probably a better set of sources to rely on for articulating this argument, assuming as it does that quantity of funding for political speech is a persuasive quality unto itself, and that that quantity can be justifiably restricted. (Souter's dissent in general seems to be making much more empirically grounded claims, though subsequent elections throw his arguments about the effects of spending into doubt. EvilWeasel's downticket argument seems to fare better in this framing, but it's still not clear what wrong is occurring by some people spending more, and having more of an influence on public opinion, than others.)

At 61 Stevens performs a neat trick by conflating the historical "undue influence" construct with corporate election spending. He carries this through to a rereading of Buckley at 63., which I think is pivotal to the problems of the whole argument we're having here. There two words here are "magic words". The problem of asserting that corporate independent spending (per Stevens) or large amounts of independent spending (HM and EW, here in the thread) is unduly influential in democratic politics is that it assumes that more spending == stronger electoral influence. This assumption isn't just a problem for how it effects individual citizen voting behavior. If spending influence on voters doesn't hold, then it also fails to effect politicians' calculus of influence. If corporate or other major spending doesn't effect the vote outcome, then the politician no longer has a reason to de facto be influenced by corporate speakers. Instead, the reason the politician is likely to be influenced by, or create policies that favor, elites, is because the elites are already separately powerful in their ability to influence policy outcomes. $hillary/Bu$h/Nobama/Drumpf bend the knee to google, not because Google spends money on campaigns, but because Google can do other things to screw up economic or policy systems that have nothing to do with electioneering. Such corporate influence may be a problem, but it's not one that's remotely addressed by restricting campaign spending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armack
Jan 27, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Absolute majoritarianism has never been a good hallmark of government, and variations in how much civic majorities prefer particular policy outcomes aren't material to the health of the general democratic system.

Inner Narrative peaking through.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

silvergoose posted:

So on another topic, an opinion was released today, with Sotomayor and Roberts dissenting together. I have no idea what this case is on about. Anyone know?

That was Ocasio.

A group of police officers accepted a bribe to tell tow trucks to deliver cars to a specific yard from the yards owners.

The appellant was indicted on a charge of conspiracy to extort the yard owners, to get around federal statutory issues preventing bribery charges.

He appealed because "hey how can I be accused of extortion of my co-conspirators"

The majority held that it's extortion because even if they were conspirators, the officer still did it under the color of law, so it was done by force

Sotomayor and Roberts held that conspiracy and extortion are incompatible

Thomas held that bribery shouldn't be considered extortion and that if you listened to him 25 years ago, we wouldn't be in this mess today.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

ayn rand hand job posted:

That was Ocasio.

A group of police officers accepted a bribe to tell tow trucks to deliver cars to a specific yard from the yards owners.

The appellant was indicted on a charge of conspiracy to extort the yard owners, to get around federal statutory issues preventing bribery charges.

He appealed because "hey how can I be accused of extortion of my co-conspirators"

The majority held that it's extortion because even if they were conspirators, the officer still did it under the color of law, so it was done by force

Thanks! Interesting, for all it seems like a minor case.

quote:

Thomas held that bribery shouldn't be considered extortion and that if you listened to him 25 years ago, we wouldn't be in this mess today.

This amused me far more than it should have, I think!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I didn't see this among CU chat, SCOTUS refused to hear the challenge against Seattle's minimum wage law, i.e. the $15 min wage law stands.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

alnilam posted:

I didn't see this among CU chat, SCOTUS refused to hear the challenge against Seattle's minimum wage law, i.e. the $15 min wage law stands.

Wow not Quite four horseman of the apocalypse anymore.

Also DV that was good analysis which I agree with. A bit too much begging the question in Stevens.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

That was Ocasio.

This HAS to be one of the most common forms of police bribery. We had our car stolen in the bay area 2 years ago and it spent about 9 hours in the impound yard (because they were closed for the night). Almost 400 dollars. So much money to be made and so easy to divert cars.

As far as the decision, that is certainly an interesting pair of justices.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I read about the history behind this last night and this made me chuckle, but it's funny because it's right.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Jitzu_the_Monk posted:

Inner Narrative peaking through.

It's an accurate observation. The American political system was never designed to place any particular weight on national majorities, and indeed to this day contains absolutely no elections which poll the national popular vote. Though the system has undergone several reforms to make it more populist-- direct election of senators and binding of presidential electors are probably the biggest-- it remains resistant to change based on national majorities. And this is a good thing.

Armack
Jan 27, 2006

Quorum posted:

It's an accurate observation. The American political system was never designed to place any particular weight on national majorities, and indeed to this day contains absolutely no elections which poll the national popular vote. Though the system has undergone several reforms to make it more populist-- direct election of senators and binding of presidential electors are probably the biggest-- it remains resistant to change based on national majorities. And this is a good thing.

Yes, the system was designed to favor landed white men. Yes, it is more populist now but not nearly enough. Now we have a tyranny of the minority where elites fund both major parties to such a degree that the bulk of the body politic tends to be beholden to those elite interests. And the response is to say that democracy is thriving? Your high school civics class notwithstanding, the enlightenment assumption of "rational man," who dispassionately weighs information and votes in accordance with his self interest, is a lie. Consent of the governed is not given but manufactured through elite-controlled institutions, including the ever-consolidating broadcast and print media. There is increasingly less likelihood that our political system will function in such a way as to give voice to the vast majority of Americans' grievances. This isn't democracy at work, it's the middle-stage of a transfer of more wealth and authority to, if not the top one percent, perhaps the top ten. CU accelerated this descent into oligarchy. Ours is a dying republic, and a spectacular case study in how tyranny of the minority can subvert democratic systems while still maintaining the veneer of responsiveness to the public insofar as most citizens are still allowed to vote. Never mind the constraints on their information, choices, and where and when they may freely exercise speech and assembly. CU is one cog in a democracy-killing machine.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Jitzu_the_Monk posted:

Yes, the system was designed to favor landed white men. Yes, it is more populist now but not nearly enough. Now we have a tyranny of the minority where elites fund both major parties to such a degree that the bulk of the body politic tends to be beholden to those elite interests. And the response is to say that democracy is thriving? Your high school civics class notwithstanding, the enlightenment assumption of "rational man," who dispassionately weighs information and votes in accordance with his self interest, is a lie. Consent of the governed is not given but manufactured through elite-controlled institutions, including the ever-consolidating broadcast and print media. There is increasingly less likelihood that our political system will function in such a way as to give voice to the vast majority of Americans' grievances. This isn't democracy at work, it's the middle-stage of a transfer of more wealth and authority to, if not the top one percent, perhaps the top ten. CU accelerated this descent into oligarchy. Ours is a dying republic, and a spectacular case study in how tyranny of the minority can subvert democratic systems while still maintaining the veneer of responsiveness to the public insofar as most citizens are still allowed to vote. Never mind the constraints on their information, choices, and where and when they may freely exercise speech and assembly. CU is one cog in a democracy-killing machine.

Lol enlightenment age political theorists were terrified of democracy, that's why our current system is littered with so many safety mechanisms to weaken majority rule. Democracy was a bad word, a necessary evil of republican government, until pretty much the 20th century.

Our system is at this point more democratic then it's ever been.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jitzu_the_Monk posted:

This rant is pretty out of date. The Internet has "democratized" political communication to a great degree. The other things you mention are just the results of capitalism and so on and not really related to super pacs buying bad advertisements on cable tv.

The concentration of wealth is happening world wide and places which severe restrictions on politicos speech so I'm not buying that correlation.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Jarmak posted:

Lol enlightenment age political theorists were terrified of democracy, that's why our current system is littered with so many safety mechanisms to weaken majority rule. Democracy was a bad word, a necessary evil of republican government, until pretty much the 20th century.

Our system is at this point more democratic then it's ever been.

And therefor it's good and we should stop seeking to improve it?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Quorum posted:

How can the possibility of a minority winning the presidency, house and senate be a good thing? At least one of these elections should automatically go to the winner of the popular vote.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Nevvy Z posted:

And therefor it's good and we should stop seeking to improve it?

more democratic != improved, necessarily

If we were fully democratic Jim Crow would still be in effect for example.

edit: but I was mostly just responding to that hysterical rant, so thanks for that strawman

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Jarmak posted:

edit: but I was mostly just responding to that hysterical rant, so thanks for that strawman

What strawman? You are defending the status quo, and the status quo is pretty garbage. Drawing logical inferences from reading your post isn't the same as inventing your argument you disingenuous gently caress.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Torrannor posted:

How can the possibility of a minority winning the presidency, house and senate be a good thing?

Well it really riles the Republicans up.

Torrannor posted:

At least one of these elections should automatically go to the winner of the popular vote.

The winner of the House elections has always been whoever gets the most popular vote.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The winner of the House elections has always been whoever gets the most popular vote.

Except with Gerrymandering this isn't entirely true because you end up with states like NC(?) where a majority of voters picked Democrats but the districts are so rigged that the GOP stilled ended up winning a majority of seats.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Nevvy Z posted:

What strawman? You are defending the status quo, and the status quo is pretty garbage. Drawing logical inferences from reading your post isn't the same as inventing your argument you disingenuous gently caress.
"And therefore we should do nothing" isn't a logical inference of "Our system is more democratic than it's ever been" especially in the context it was posted.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Torrannor posted:

How can the possibility of a minority winning the presidency, house and senate be a good thing? At least one of these elections should automatically go to the winner of the popular vote.

Not necessarily-- the way it's set up now isn't perfect, but one thing it does do is ensure that you generally need more than 50.01% of the popular vote to derive a sweeping governing mandate, especially with regard to the Presidency. You can definitely argue that the Presidential election should be tied directly to the popular vote, but this isn't actually something I'm disputing, just that blind adherence to the principle of majority rules is very damaging to a democracy.

Well, actually, the thing I'm disputing is the idea that a cautious attitude towards populism is necessarily Prester Jane's authoritarianism thingy, because that's frankly preposterous. Populism can be aimed at good things, but just as often in history it's been destructive to the rights of the few. A well-constructed state should contain both mechanisms for allowing the populace to express its will, and checks on that expression.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The only thing any part of the insane redpill movement got right was that political philosophy- all of it, including every flavor of marxism- was in agreement that absolute majoritarianism, pure democracy, wasn't a functional form of government or society and would produce negative outcomes, especially as scale increases (the only thing that comes close is Switzerland, which has a population the size of NYC, is incredibly homogenous, practically exists in a pressure bubble, and still isn't "truly" democratic). The neoreactionaries took this fact and ran with it all the way in the opposite direction, which is, again, completely insane. That said, the whole reason democratic republicanism has been effective is that it has both democratic and republican elements- popular opinion has influence, but is not controlling of outcomes. I'd recommend reading Federalists 10 and 51.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 3, 2016

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Nevvy Z posted:

That's not a logical inference from either the content or context of my post, it's just you poo poo posting some sick burns

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I would posit that the problem is not that the government is democratic or non-democratic, bit rather that it is profoundly neglectful of the needs of its citizens. We aren't living in an age of noblesse oblige; we are living in an age of gently caress you, got mine.

Hell look at the crisis in Puerto Rico. Whole island with millions of American citizens getting flushed down the toilet because Congress doesn't give enough of a poo poo to bother to fix the problem. Partly it's that Puerto Rico isn't represented, but the larger issue is that hedge funds matter more to Congress than poor / brown people do, even when those people are citizens.

The problem is purely a legislative creation and the fix is straightforward and the harm is demonstrable and massive, but all we hear from Congress is crickets, because financial interests prefer crisis to bankruptcy.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 3, 2016

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
I thought Puerto Ricans weren't technically American citizens because it's a colony or foreign holding or some other category. What actually is the status of Puerto Rico?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They are as American as John McCain.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

botany posted:

I thought Puerto Ricans weren't technically American citizens because it's a colony or foreign holding or some other category. What actually is the status of Puerto Rico?

It's a territory. Puerto Ricans are citizens but people living in Puerto Rico are not directly represented democratically in Congress.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
At this point they should probably just make PR a state to give them the right sort of benefits they need to unfuck their economy and laws, but good luck getting congress to let them in or care for them even when they've basically write themselves into a tax haven wet dream.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Crabtree posted:

At this point they should probably just make PR a state to give them the right sort of benefits they need to unfuck their economy and laws, but good luck getting congress to let them in or care for them even when they've basically write themselves into a tax haven wet dream.

Well, first PR would need to decide it really wants to be a state. The various referenda on statehood have all failed but one to this point.

The one that passed in 2012 is suspect because it wasn't statehood y/n, it was a list of alternatives and left off a couple of popular ones. Regardless, its government needs to apply first. Congress can't act unilaterally.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

botany posted:

You're thinking of one of the Pacific Islands that the US owns, where they are nationals of the USA but not citizens of the USA because of some weird noble savage nonsense or something.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Quorum posted:

Populism can be aimed at good things, but just as often in history it's been destructive to the rights of the few. A well-constructed state should contain both mechanisms for allowing the populace to express its will, and checks on that expression.

This is an egalitarian principle that is arguably defensible when it comes to protecting minority rights and regional devolution (although that leads to plenty of terrible results also) because those are at least groups of people. This argument is far less persuasive when the general gist of the people in this thread defending the status quo are claiming a Constitutional protection to the free speech rights of capital. And while I get that there is extensive common law jurisprudence defending this principle, the result is that some people or groups of people are able to generate more and louder political speech simply because they have more money. And again, while I get that democracy is a bad word to some of the older-fashioned people in this thread, personally I consider the conclusion that more money makes someone more deserving of a voice in the nation's political discourse absurd.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 3, 2016

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

duz posted:

You're thinking of one of the Pacific Islands that the US owns, where they are nationals of the USA but not citizens of the USA because of some weird noble savage nonsense or something.

American Samoa, Virgin Islands, Northern Marianas and Guam. John Oliver did a bit on it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Deteriorata posted:

Well, first PR would need to decide it really wants to be a state. The various referenda on statehood have all failed but one to this point.

The one that passed in 2012 is suspect because it wasn't statehood y/n, it was a list of alternatives and left off a couple of popular ones. Regardless, its government needs to apply first. Congress can't act unilaterally.

Sure, they need to decide either yes or not to statehood. But aren't they also in some weird legal problems, one of which no one knows why its a law? Like the fact that they apparently can't file for bankruptcy since 1984? I'm probably wrong in thinking either statehood or becoming their own sovereign nation could be the easiest ways to fix their legal problems and not their current economic issues, but PR sadly has both of them.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Jarmak posted:

That's not a logical inference from either the content or context of my post, it's just you poo poo posting some sick burns

Thanks for acknowledging that my burns are sick but still that guy wants change for specific reasons and you just call him hysterical and wave away his concerns so yeah I think it's pretty reasonable to infer that you are defending the status quo and the status quo is still garbage. Maybe you can actually post an opinion other than making GBS threads on the guy for having concerns or maybe you can try not accusing people of strawmanning you every time someone misunderstands your lovely posts.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Nevvy Z posted:

Thanks for acknowledging that my burns are sick but still that guy wants change for specific reasons and you just call him hysterical and wave away his concerns so yeah I think it's pretty reasonable to infer that you are defending the status quo and the status quo is still garbage. Maybe you can actually post an opinion other than making GBS threads on the guy for having concerns or maybe you can try not accusing people of strawmanning you every time someone misunderstands your lovely posts.
You can dislike the status quo and also think someone else who dislikes the status quo is hysterical, further if someone is being hysterical, I don't see why anyone needs to post more than "No, this is ridiculous". Knowing you have enough knowledge to know someone else is wrong, while also knowing you don't have enough knowledge to know how to fix it seems like a reasonable thing to me. You didn't misunderstand the post, you deliberately read into it, in a way not supported by the text to start a fight.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Nevvy Z posted:

Inferring what "team" someone is on and then deciding to affix whatever lovely arguments you think that side of the debate makes to a person so you can knock it down isn't making reasonable inferences, it's a textbook example of a strawman

Maybe you can actually post an opinion or argument or something instead of just throwing "witty" one liner shitposts from the audience.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This is an egalitarian principle that is arguably defensible when it comes to protecting minority rights and regional devolution (although that leads to plenty of terrible results also) because those are at least groups of people. This argument is far less persuasive when the general gist of the people in this thread defending the status quo are claiming a Constitutional protection to the free speech rights of capital. And while I get that there is extensive common law jurisprudence defending this principle, the result is that some people or groups of people are able to generate more and louder political speech simply because they have more money. And again, while I get that democracy is a bad word to some of the older-fashioned people in this thread, personally I consider the conclusion that more money makes someone more deserving of a voice in the nation's political discourse absurd.

Herein lies the rub, because "I can pay to make my speech louder" isn't a corruption problem it's an equality problem. Trying to keep people with money from using that money to broadcast their opinions louder is like trying to hold back the tide because people with money are people with power (even if only the power to change that money into other non-fungible things) and there's always some way that power can be used to support politicians they favor. I think we're much better off focusing on stopping quid pro corruption which is both the easiest and most damaging way money can cause undue influence, and making sure that we know clearly who is donating to and supporting who.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Jarmak posted:

Inferring what "team" someone is on and then deciding to affix whatever lovely arguments you think that side of the debate makes to a person so you can knock it down isn't making reasonable inferences, it's a textbook example of a strawman

Quit strawmanning me.

twodot posted:

You can dislike the status quo and also think someone else who dislikes the status quo is hysterical, further if someone is being hysterical, I don't see why anyone needs to post more than "No, this is ridiculous".

Well, if that's all you post and people disagree with you they might think you are being an rear end in a top hat and also wrong, which is how we got here. Welcome.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

On the topic of corruption the curious change I've seen since working in government had nothing to do with the interaction with the public but rather how internal data sets being created that actually showed emperical evidence of corruption seems to do far more to clean up bad behavior than any suspicion of foul play can possibly muster. Concurrent, if there is a desire in mid level management to not rock the boat because it's not TECHNICALLY illegal or against policy, it will be ignored at all costs.

I think we tend to get a bit myopic at times and forget that not everything needs to be in the law, and is probably a general human inclination to try to impose order on general chaos. But that's about as anti-law talk as possible for the SCOTUS thread so I'll leave it at that.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Nevvy Z posted:

Well, if that's all you post and people disagree with you they might think you are being an rear end in a top hat and also wrong, which is how we got here. Welcome.
Even presuming you're correct about both that they're an rear end in a top hat and also wrong, it doesn't justify you making up positions and ascribing them to assholes. If you want to express someone is being an rear end in a top hat, the correct thing to do is call them an rear end in a top hat.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

twodot posted:

Even presuming you're correct about both that they're an rear end in a top hat and also wrong, it doesn't justify you making up positions and ascribing them to assholes. If you want to express someone is being an rear end in a top hat, the correct thing to do is call them an rear end in a top hat.

Edit- nevermind derailing the thread so you can have this stupid meta whatever. rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Antti posted:

American Samoa, Virgin Islands, Northern Marianas and Guam. John Oliver did a bit on it.
Not that long ago we had actual sweatshops in the NMI because apparently US labor laws didn't apply there