Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
Anyone have a good guide on how parry works in this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Jastiger posted:

OK everyone disagreeing with me what's your soul level. Ima be invading you forever. :getin:

120ish

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Jastiger posted:

OK everyone disagreeing with me what's your soul level. Ima be invading you forever. :getin:

Jastiger posted:

*equips Estoc* let's do this. I win, I get all your ember.

Play offline

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Rewards for beating an invader while solo, no Blue cops, could stand to be more substantial, perhaps.

At least top off your health bar and FP bar. Nothing huge, just a nod towards the fact you didn't run off to grab every summon sign in a mile radius or sprint for the boss fog.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 3, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Are people using the Caestus off-hand to parry for weight reasons, or does it have more parry frames than the Buckler?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Section Z posted:

Rewards for beating an invader while solo, no Blue cops, could stand to be more substantial, perhaps.

At least top off your health bar and FP bar. Nothing huge, just a nod towards the fact you didn't run off to grab every summon sign in a mile radius or sprint for the boss fog.

You get an estus of each kind when an enemy phantom dies, provided you've got at least 1 ashen estus normally

Harrow posted:

Are people using the Caestus off-hand to parry for weight reasons, or does it have more parry frames than the Buckler?

less frames but I think the startup is faster, basically instant

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Harrow posted:

It has less active frames but comes out faster. If you get hit by a straight sword/piercing sword R1 spammer you can mash L2 and get a parry.

e: also very useful for bait shenanigans.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

SciFiDownBeat posted:

stop playing dark souls

Because let's be honest, a core component of the Dark Souls experience is online interaction, which includes invasions in all their asymmetric, chaotic, and frequently unfair glory. Playing offline isn't Dark Souls, plug pullers can gently caress right off.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm fine with people playing offline or doing whatever they can to trivialize the game, whatever, but I'd much rather run into a gank squad than plug puller. It's like, at least try dude

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
When i was invaded I used a white branch and hid as a sprig in a copse of trees in the great swamp lol

I hope I made that oval office mad

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Babe Magnet posted:

You get an estus of each kind when an enemy phantom dies, provided you've got at least 1 ashen estus normally

Yup. Though a bar refill while solo would also reward people not constantly chugging their estus every two seconds. So you get a nice little "Hey, good job, you did it solo" perk up while also still appeasing the people who froth at the mouth if you so much as look at an estus flask in any circumstances. EDIT: Or, you know, your Ashen or normal Estus was ALREADY full when you killed them. "Oh wow, that free ashen estus would have been nice if I was quick enough to use it before it tried to refill a full bottle"

I'm not questioning the rewards when you're not all on your lonesome here. A free flask goes a long way when you already had help.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 3, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lite_sleepr posted:

When i was invaded I used a white branch and hid as a sprig in a copse of trees in the great swamp lol

I hope I made that oval office mad

what

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Harrow posted:

Invading was intended to be a temptation. Chances are, killing another player you invaded would be easier than killing the area boss (or would seem easier--remember, people thought Demon's Souls was tough as nails when it came out, and at the same time, the vast majority of players weren't yet good at fighting other players or dealing with those players doing things like hiding behind mobs or using traps against you). You'd invade another player, pull some dirty tricks, kill them (kind of a dick move, given that they were probably struggling, too), but you'd get your body back--only to open yourself up to invasions as a result. And invasion wasn't supposed to be fun for the invaded player. It was supposed to be scary. I mean, it would be scary: here you are playing this tough, unforgiving game, and all of a sudden some rear end in a top hat other player comes and kills you in some cheap way and all your progress into the level is gone. If you win, amazing! But you probably wouldn't, not during your first several invasions at least. The deck was stacked in the invader's favor by far.
Until I got gud (or at least passable) at Souls games I used to just wail when I got invaded because I took forever to get through a level and I still got upset about dying/losing souls. Now I only get mildly annoyed if it's someone doing something lovely (muled items on a SL15 etc) but it's just that, an annoyance at most. If I die whoopdie do, either I'll get back to my bloodstain or I won't, but I'm not losing anything really. If you really truly don't want to be invaded then play offline, it's not hard. Seems rather dumb to want all the advantages of being human/embered (summons) and none of the disadvantages. I can sort of understand the complaint in DS2 because if you died and couldn't get back to your bloodstain everything you lost still counted towards SM but that's really the only game where it's valid.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

He hid as a small tree in a group of trees and the invader couldn't find him.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

turtlecrunch posted:

It's not, I went back and got him when I was in Irithyll. You need to open the doors across from Rosaria's bonfire (raise the bridge to get to them), then reload/change bonfires or whatever.

That's the door I forgot, opening the Rosaria one spawned him... I accidentally thought that the double set of double-doors by the giant's foot was what counted. Thanks!!

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

lets hang out posted:

The guy going "hey maybe it would be cool if hosts got something for winning invasions" and then like 10 dudes jumping down his throat about it lol

yOU ALREADY GET SOMETHING BEING EMBERED, PLAY OFFLINE [spams estoc and posts memes]

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

I think he edited it before I quoted or something, or I'm finally losing my mind

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
http://i.imgur.com/1OBbsra.gifv

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

He edited his post to make sense, it had something about dual invaders and puff trees before

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Im going hollow

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Control Volume posted:

He edited his post to make sense, it had something about dual invaders and puff trees before

Ah ok, the edited version still is barely a coherent thought.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Is the hollow slayer greatsword a good one? Should i use it instead puff my astora great sword?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

Ah ok, the edited version still is barely a coherent thought.

It's a thought that I agree with though, hiding with white branches/chameleon loving owns

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

I dunno for one, ephemeral eyes weren't that rare, there were like 40 guaranteed in a relatively short game. For two, you wouldn't even want to use them when playing through the game due to the hosed up world tendency system which punished you for dying in human form. Most people who knew what they were doing just killed themselves in the nexus after every boss, and if they didn't know what they were doing they probably weren't invading anyways. I still remember my first invader in demons, it had a lasting effect on my perception of these games and I'm glad that mechanic has stuck around.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah my first invader in Demon's was either immediately after or right before the spider boss (I think before, the area with the mine carts) and he had a kataner and it was a slog of a duel and even though I lost it's what made me love this series so much.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

SubponticatePoster posted:

Was doing some invading at Halfway and had some fun with the following:

The rotten sword the Ghrus drop
Rotten resin
Lloyd's

Ghru sword doesn't do poo poo for damage but with rotten resin it procs poison in a couple of hits like bleed/Carthus and then whack 'em with the talisman. Then switch over to whatever weapon you want that does actual damage. Poison doesn't do a shitton of damage but watching phantoms/hosts flail around and panic because they're poisoned and can't heal is pretty funny. Combine this with getting them to aggro crabs + Watchdogs or other invaders is good times.

im gonna give this a shot, thanks

last poison build i tried was in ds2, poison fists. was a good, hilarious gimmick build

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

lite_sleepr posted:

Is the hollow slayer greatsword a good one? Should i use it instead puff my astora great sword?

Yeah, it is solid, but if we're talking about comparing it to rear end you're probably going to get more mileage - with less trouble - out of just sticking with the straight.

I would personally stick with the rear end until you get VGR to 27, and maybe END to 18-20. At that point you'll probably be ready to invest in damage attributes like STR/DEX, and assuming minimum requirements for rear end you'll have a fair way to go still before Hollow Slayer GS can even be equipped.

If you've been pumpimg STR/DEX enough to already equip the GS then what have you been doing using the rear end? Just get the GS and use it. rear end is only particularly solid as RAW with minimal stat investment because it's still super strong, and lets you spend on other attributes.

E: I'm super dumb. You said Astora's Great. My bad. If you're already using Astora's Great I don't see any reason to stop using it, but that is utlra great, where hollow slayer is just "great", so I guess it wouldn't hurt to have a slightly faster weapon. I wouldn't bother with it, though.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 3, 2016

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
My first time playing Dark Souls, I remember using my first humanity to turn human in Firelink Shrine, then sat around for 5 minutes completely paralyzed with terror over someone invading and stealing all of my souls. After a while, I couldn't take it anymore and jumped off of a cliff so I could stop stressing out about it.

Didn't find out until later that nobody could invade me there.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
I was playing my sorceror last night and realized something it was missing--a good point-blank AoE. It doesn't need to be hard-hitting, but something that casts quickly and acts as a 'get out of my face' ability would go a long way toward making me like sorcery more. I mean you can just swing your melee weapon in every situation such a thing would be useful in but I'm talking about making the sorceror feel good.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

lite_sleepr posted:

The Hollowslayer Greatsword is one of the best Greatswords, probably. Note that the Astora Greatsword is actually an Ultra-Greatsword whereas the Hollowslayer Greatsword is a regular Greatsword. The AR on each on a quality build is actually relatively comparable, though.

I would recommend trying it out at the very least. Its moveset is excellent and it has good scaling. Also does a bunch of bonus damage against "hollow" enemies, of which there are many, including some bosses.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Rafza posted:

im gonna give this a shot, thanks

last poison build i tried was in ds2, poison fists. was a good, hilarious gimmick build
I also found a more reliable way to hit people with the talisman is to run from them. They will chase you, and just before you run out of stamina do a 180 and pitch the talisman. Usually fastballs them right in the face :haw:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Invader should get bonus rewards for each hostile phantom present imo.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah my first invader in Demon's was either immediately after or right before the spider boss (I think before, the area with the mine carts) and he had a kataner and it was a slog of a duel and even though I lost it's what made me love this series so much.

I had just cleared out the first part of the swamp area in 5-2 when I got the invasion message. I waited for him on one of the bigger islands and he slowly walked into view through the rain and fog (so cool). He had a falchon, I had a mace and I very narrowly won out after a long battle. Best duel ever

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

^^^ owns ^^^

Cyberventurer posted:

My first time playing Dark Souls, I remember using my first humanity to turn human in Firelink Shrine, then sat around for 5 minutes completely paralyzed with terror over someone invading and stealing all of my souls. After a while, I couldn't take it anymore and jumped off of a cliff so I could stop stressing out about it.

Didn't find out until later that nobody could invade me there.

The first time I played Dark Souls 2 I saw that you could burn effigies in the bonfire and thought that was how you turned unhollow, but I could never get it to work, so I just ended up beating the entire game hollowed without ever thinking to just use them as a regular item lmao

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 3, 2016

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I don't know if this helps the Patches discussion but my first time going up the tower was before I got through the cathedral. I didn't run into patches there, and I didn't meet him in the tower. Nothing happened until I found Seigward in the well, then the next time I was in the tower he locked me in.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 3, 2016

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

dying in demon souls was a big deal, because the distance between archstones was 5+ minutes of play time on the optimal path. dying in this game is trivial, the distance between bonfires is never more than a minute of dashing past enemies.

Babe Magnet posted:

Im going hollow

neither of us want to see you go hollow

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Melanion posted:

I was playing my sorceror last night and realized something it was missing--a good point-blank AoE. It doesn't need to be hard-hitting, but something that casts quickly and acts as a 'get out of my face' ability would go a long way toward making me like sorcery more. I mean you can just swing your melee weapon in every situation such a thing would be useful in but I'm talking about making the sorceror feel good.

Have you tried Soul Greatsword? If you have some Faith the Force Miracle is a pretty good "get out of my face" spell too.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Well I found where all the fun low/mid level pvp went. It's the cathedral. I'm just sitting here getting loads of actual real players, with plenty of bluecops coming in for spectator sport. The dried finger rules.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
how the gently caress do you kill the lothric knight with the massive shield and spear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

you don't need to meet patches in the cathedral and all you have to do to meet squidward in the well is open the front door (the front door being the one you have to run past to get to the roof section)