Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

trucutru posted:

Yeah, in Japan that may be the case, but that doesn't make for a very good basis for your manga. In plenty other places loansharks are scary as gently caress, specially if loan-sharking is just a side business for a criminal enterprise.

Edit: And yeah, the first few stories in Ushijima do suck. They get better as it becomes more about interconnected characters doing stupid poo poo and how the loansharks throw a wrench into whatever is happening to get their money. Still not great but different enough.

If the loanshark you are indebted to isn't a legal moneylender you can just report them and have the entire debt invalidated, no matter what contracts were signed. I wasn't kidding about the police busting doors down with the swat team to take out sharks.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/two-arrested-after-police-raids-11028770

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The UK and Singapore take it the most seriously of all the national police I've seen, but Japan and the United States have their own forces dedicated to investigating and shutting it down.

The illegal rings mostly profit off of immigrant populations that are afraid of getting the law involved, but borrowers aren't prosecuted so you should definitely report that sort of activity if you find yourself in contact with it.

Ushijima is just a really maudlin parade of misery and a bummer for it.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 1, 2016

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i tried reading it for a bit and it made me depressed so i stopped

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

i tried reading it for a bit and it made me depressed so i stopped

Did you read Desert Rose yet?

cuz theres a new Desert Rose: http://bato.to/reader#c8cb6766c3e6dfb8

ahiwattamplifier
May 3, 2014
There is a certain brand of tragedic writing that permeate most nerdy mediae that I can't really express why, but it is pretty bad, it just lacks the poignancy that you'd expect from a tragedy. Maybe it has something to do with a lack of life experience or something to that effect. There is a very fine line between realism and cynicism.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
If you wanna read a decently written tragedy, try Ikigami instead. The premise is kinda ridiculous, but some of the stories really nail the balance between uplifting and depressing.
Been a while since i read it, but i remember the story about the junkie being pretty powerful.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sharkopath posted:

If the loanshark you are indebted to isn't a legal moneylender you can just report them and have the entire debt invalidated, no matter what contracts were signed. I wasn't kidding about the police busting doors down with the swat team to take out sharks.

That's quite nice. Around my hometown the loanshark would just pay the police to come break your knees.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

trucutru posted:

That's quite nice. Around my hometown the loanshark would just pay the police to come break your knees.

Are you colombian or russian? Those are pretty much the last bastion for loan sharks freely escaping punishment. In the US the agencies that regulate moneylending operate at the state and federal level, not the local police forces. The UK and a good portion of east asian countries set up operational task forces with their own funding and personnel. Prosecution varies a lot in south america but I know police in brazil and peru are cracking down on colombian loansharks operating in their countries right now.

It can take time to build up a case but a majority of countries take the crime seriously.

ahiwattamplifier
May 3, 2014
For all the insanely complicated relationships between law enforcement and crime and corruption, the Brazilian FBI actually does good work. Sure, some things end up slipping through the cracks, like a crazy sociopath that filmed himself harassing haitian and African immigrants but yeah, there has been a rise in intolerance for loansharking all around the world.

Source: my uncle who works for the Interpol

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ahiwattamplifier posted:

For all the insanely complicated relationships between law enforcement and crime and corruption, the Brazilian FBI actually does good work. Sure, some things end up slipping through the cracks, like a crazy sociopath that filmed himself harassing haitian and African immigrants but yeah, there has been a rise in intolerance for loansharking all around the world.

Source: my uncle who works for the Interpol

Is your uncle Zenigata?

ahiwattamplifier
May 3, 2014
Yes

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

If you want a cooler series that explores the underside of japanese society theres Bakuon.

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/bakuon-rettou-r4534

about a disaffected kid falling in deep with a biker gang as his family life collapses around him. It's not happy but it also feels really grounded, a pretty cool character study series.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
That art style seems super familiar...this is the Sidooh guy right? I wonder if that's still good or ongoing, I remember getting pretty far into it way back and then completely dropping it for some reason

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Yeah it's Takahashi Tsutomu, also did tetsuwan girl.

The art is probably the thing that sticks out the most to me, night scenes are really stark and gorgeous in it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

He also did Hito Hitori Futari which ended up being pretty good overall.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wow yeah, I really enjoyed HHF, I'll check that out too

ahiwattamplifier
May 3, 2014
If Bakuon Rettou had ended in this latest chapter, I'd be happy with it

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Didn't he also do Sidooh? The art looks the same.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
whatever happened with zetman? i remember reading it years ago and then it got really weird/bad and then i stopped following it

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ytlaya posted:

Didn't he also do Sidooh? The art looks the same.

He did

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Jose posted:

whatever happened with zetman? i remember reading it years ago and then it got really weird/bad and then i stopped following it

it got really weird/bad and everyone stopped following it

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

The chapter that was just released exemplifies the worst aspects of I am a hero

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/I-Am-a-Hero/Vol-017-Ch-201?id=272174

That being the stupid and likely pointless filler shenanigans of a train molester manga author with a lisp and his idiot cohorts who are no doubt going to die within the next five chapters

That character was one of Hideo's coworkers? I think I vaguely remember him from 100+ chapters ago.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He is yeah, from the first volume. But it doesn't really need to spend multiple chapters on his frame by frame fight with the special infected, or his creepy train molester talk

ahiwattamplifier
May 3, 2014
By the way, they used to translate whatever the original is into zombfag, does anyone know what the Japanese for it actually is?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The movie trailer called them zqn I believe, so probably that

ahiwattamplifier
May 3, 2014
The gently caress is zqn

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

ahiwattamplifier posted:

The gently caress is zqn

Japanese for zombifag.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

ahiwattamplifier posted:

The gently caress is zqn

It's a pun on dqn (pronounced dokyun), Japanese net slang for "idiot."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Today in Japan if you get in debt problems you are just thrown to toil in the mines and earn a billion "perica" currencies in order to buy your freedom back.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Today in Japan if you get in debt problems you are just thrown to toil in the mines and earn a billion "perica" currencies in order to buy your freedom back.

To be fair, the early parts of Kaiji were written as well as set during the Lost Decade.

ahiwattamplifier
May 3, 2014

AnonSpore posted:

It's a pun on dqn (pronounced dokyun), Japanese net slang for "idiot."

Great post 10/10 thank you for answering my question

This IAAH volume's last chapter was so loving great, what a way to tie everything together you magnificent son of a bitch. I almost puched a hole in the wall out of excitement but my house has concrete walls

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Jose posted:

it's been at chapter 209 out of 226 (it finished in july 2014) since june 2015. Evil Geniuses will hopefully finish it one day

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Speaking of turning weird and bad, it took me forever to realize that I Am A Hero is not the series people were talking about a few months ago, which starts as post-apocalyptic but supposedly drops it for really trippy sex symbolism. (EDEN, I think?)

ahiwattamplifier
May 3, 2014
Eden is great. It is in no way perfect but it handles stuff like character arcs and having a multi-ethnic cast way better than most media. From any country.
I'd definitely have an issue with fridging in this series, but most characters are kind of disposable in a way.

In a world where we settle for 6s and even 5s, it is definitely a 10

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Nooooope

Eden is a series with outstanding artwork and designs wasted on a trash garbage story with few worthwhile characters spread out over its nigh-interminable length

Hell, one of the few good characters is straight up brought back for the sole purpose to be fridged, seriously.

There's also the "POP!" scene which is straight up a narm moment

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012
I read through all of eden for some reason and wished i hadnt when I finished but it had some cool stuff. However, if u want to read an insanely long weird misanthropic cyberpunk manga that cant keep its characters alive for more than a couple chapters, the superior choice is Fourteen, by Kazuo Umezu.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Fourteen is the only manga I know of where every single line is shouted.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I guess Fourteen technically starts out as a cyberpunk story, but I definitely wouldn't classify it that way overall.

It's main genre is Crazy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Speaking of genre: crazy, this popped up on the recent updates and it sure is...something

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Gleipnir

Dude can transform into a killer mascot costume, saves girl, girl knows about it, uses him as some sort of meat-mecha

only a handful of chapters but it sure is weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Speaking of genre: crazy, this popped up on the recent updates and it sure is...something

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Gleipnir

Dude can transform into a killer mascot costume, saves girl, girl knows about it, uses him as some sort of meat-mecha

only a handful of chapters but it sure is weird

that is absolutely some dude drawing his wank fantasies