Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Pewdiepie posted:

Askeladd was a better dad than Thors so Floki was basically doing Thorfinn a favor.

Dude, don't be talking poo poo about Thors. It's not his fault his dumb kid happened to stow away at exactly the wrong time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's funny how much I ended up coming to love Bjorn considering he was the motherfucker who took Thorfinn hostage in the first place
RIP

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TheFallenEvincar posted:

It's funny how much I ended up coming to love Bjorn considering he was the motherfucker who took Thorfinn hostage in the first place
RIP

He just wanted a friend.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

New Ad Astra, more Cannae!!

http://bato.to/reader#373b1cd73c56da68

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
Am I insane or is that art some cel-shaded 3D render?

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Yeah, it definetly uses CG, It looks mostly fine although sometimes...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I like the way it's used. Overall the artwork looks really good in the end.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think that's just because of their choice of digital texture patterns and gradient shading, not cg rendering. They're definitely doing their inks and processing digitally and use a very fixed linewidth mostly for it all so it looks a bit too clean.

That fruitbowl is a 3d object though, lol. They're probably using some variant of Manga Studio for most of their workflow and mess around with a bunch of the extra features.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 2, 2016

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

In the new cradle of the sea, storms and illiteracy:

http://bato.to/reader#595dd899a92aa41e_1

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 2, 2016

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I need to get back into Ad Astra, I just found it so hyper generic and blah to start that I dropped it early on

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I need to get back into Ad Astra, I just found it so hyper generic and blah to start that I dropped it early on

I dunno if I'd really call it generic, it's a really dry adaption of the actual history with a ton of research put into it, and a bit of light dramatization to give the characters more to do in the narrative.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I wish we lived in a world where the Punic War was a really generic and tired setting for comics though.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Sharkopath posted:

I wish we lived in a world where the Punic War was a really generic and tired setting for comics though.

If there weren't critics in the Roman Empire bitching about how playwrights and artists kept going back to the well of the Punic Wars rather than coming up with something new, I'll eat my non-existent hat.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

Not comics but tbh I did kind of kill the Punic Wars (among other historical topics and settings) for myself early on as a youngen by just reading the poo poo out of every aspect of them so now unless it's like Vin Diesel doing a wacky rear end Hannibal movie it doesn't really get me going
I should just try to enjoy Ad Astra though, yeah it's kinda dry. I meant the manga felt kind of generic overall, not the choice of setting

There's not much choice of Roman/ancient world manga though, what with that other weird one never updating so I'm gonna jump back into this

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mean if you want antiquity, I hope you've read Historie. It's not Rome, obviously, but still great!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Rodyle posted:

I mean if you want antiquity, I hope you've read Historie. It's not Rome, obviously, but still great!
Oh yeah, of course. Historie's great, though it's kind of sad how slow and sketchy (literally) it is these days, even though I know the real story till the end it's hard keeping track of stuff that happened in the old chapters. Gonna have to wait until it's finished, maybe.
I guess I also enjoyed some Thermae Romae and that weird slightly perverse series set in the later Roman Empire, I forget its name, it seems like it's dead.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Hishotan vitae or something, I believe it was actually cancelled in Japan so

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Vita Arcana, yeah. Probably the only manga to depict Macrinus.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Otoyome 55: A Farewell To Waterwheels
Pariya does not do well under pressure. Thankfully, if there's anything we've learned about seizures, they lead to a quick, clean, and happy marriage before we move on. Not that I want less Pariya, just saiyan.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Otoyome 55: A Farewell To Waterwheels
Pariya does not do well under pressure. Thankfully, if there's anything we've learned about seizures, they lead to a quick, clean, and happy marriage before we move on. Not that I want less Pariya, just saiyan.

I think Pariya does just fine under certain kinds of pressure.

Social pressure? No. Not at all.

poo poo's going down? She does okay. She might not know exactly what to do in each circumstance, but she does kick into action.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Also, she apparently sings pretty well.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Props to the translator for making the songs scan and rhyme pretty well in English!

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Didn't expect any less from the translator that gave us sick wheelage peeping.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Shut Hell is incredibly good, and I wish the rest of this volume was translated by about yesterday. These cliffhangers :ohdear:

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Nondevor posted:

Shut Hell is incredibly good, and I wish the rest of this volume was translated by about yesterday. These cliffhangers :ohdear:

It really is! Thanks for recommending it, now I'm all caught up and frustrated that I caught up just a bit too soon.

So Temujin dies in 1227, and the current battle where they break through the wall is supposed to be in 1213, so I suspect he's going to survive this encounter. I'm not sure where the story goes after this. Or if Yurul is actually dead. It might hop back to the present day, I suppose.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
New Vinland Saga

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Vinland-Saga/Vol-018-Ch-128--Baltic-Sea-War--004-?id=274844

uh oh, how can Thorfinn resolve the contradictions in his philosophy?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
When it's just his own life in jeopardy, he's willing to throw it away in the name of pacifism. But when they start slaughtering families for the mere reason of "they own a boat", it might make him hulk the gently caress out.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Phobophilia posted:

New Vinland Saga

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Vinland-Saga/Vol-018-Ch-128--Baltic-Sea-War--004-?id=274844

uh oh, how can Thorfinn resolve the contradictions in his philosophy?

If he dies here he won't be able to keep his promise to create a peaceful place for the refugees to go to, naturally.

Also I'm assuming he takes them all down without killing a single one.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
My guess is he uses the same tactics as Thors did when he fought Askeladd's group. Lots of knock outs and pressure point strikes.

Then when he faces the hostage crisis like Thors, Hild will save him.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Mo_Steel posted:

If he dies here he won't be able to keep his promise to create a peaceful place for the refugees to go to, naturally.

Also I'm assuming he takes them all down without killing a single one.

This.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

They are already dead, since Jelling. They just didn't notice yet.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Hox finished translating YAS' My Name is Nero.

http://hoxtranslations.blogspot.com/2016/05/some-thoughts-about-manga-20.html

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Vita Arcana, yeah. Probably the only manga to depict Macrinus.

That period of Roman History is full of such insane amount of conflict that it's surprising that someone could screw up an adaptation. The author seems to know a fair bit about the period considering they managed to adapt the generic ascension speech every Emperor seemed to use. I wonder how much of the gender bending weird poo poo was their idea. A faithful adaption of the history alone would actually be hella cool. Nobody ever covers the third century crisis in any media.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Otoyome

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
A little progress to them, a tease to us. But now we have confirmed that Mr. Smith will have to go back. Keep the dream alive!!

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Those 3 panes were fantastic, as was the rest of it. Do we have a combination of :allears: and :3: yet?

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
Vinland Saga 129

http://readms.com/r/vinland_saga/129/3497/1

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Poor Thorfinn just wants to live in peace, why can't you assholes let him continue Merchant Saga?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

THE FIST IS UNDER CONTROL. :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpSse2JXmHQ