Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

This is a great reference:

http://files.geekdo.com/geekfile_do...510c8e41ef10cd8

Look on page 5. The basic gist is "you can do an action after basically anything".

The important thing here is after. You cannot use actions during framework events, most notably during staging and when shadow cards are revealed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

COOL CORN posted:

This is a great reference:

http://files.geekdo.com/geekfile_do...510c8e41ef10cd8

Look on page 5. The basic gist is "you can do an action after basically anything".

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/67464/universal-head-lord-rings-card-game-rules-summary

BGG doesn't let you hotlink files, so your URL is expired.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Thanks, didn't realize that.

Taran_Wanderer posted:

The important thing here is after. You cannot use actions during framework events, most notably during staging and when shadow cards are revealed.

Yeah, one of my "ohhhh, dammmmnnn itttttt" moments was realizing I can't use actions once attacks start happening. Only after the shadow cards are dealth, and then after ALL attacking/defending is done and resolved.

edit-- I just got finished playtesting the core set Leadership deck. Passage Through Mirkwood was super easy and sort of boring. I was hardly drawing any enemies, and between Steward of Gondor and Faramir, I had more money and willpower than I knew what to do with. Then I attempted Journey Down the Anduin. After the initial Hill Troll battle, all of my heroes had 1HP left. Then, I got cocky and assigned all my heroes to a quest... and pulled the event that deals 1 damage to all exhausted characters. gently caress.

Definitely enjoyed Journey Down the Anduin a lot more than Mirkwood, since it was an actual challenge. I got pretty bored with the Leadership deck, there's not a lot of interesting cards in there. I think now I'm going to go through Beorn's deckbuilding blog, that looks pretty interesting.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 1, 2016

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

COOL CORN posted:

Yeah, one of my "ohhhh, dammmmnnn itttttt" moments was realizing I can't use actions once attacks start happening. Only after the shadow cards are dealth, and then after ALL attacking/defending is done and resolved.

What actions are you thinking of specifically?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Amoeba102 posted:

What actions are you thinking of specifically?

Well, in my case, I was going to play a Sneak Attack to throw an ally down for 1 resource and get a cheap attack, since I couldn't afford him during the Planning phase. But, I had already resolved the defenses and then realized I couldn't play any actions until after the attacks.

Not a huge deal, just made me think about timing a little differently.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Yeah, basically if the game is "moving", you can't stop it. Otherwise, knock yourself out.

In other news, I've reboxed the mess of cards from the second hand set (a core, the first two cycles and both Hobbit boxes) I bought recently, so I can limit myself to the cards published with or before the adventure I'm playing. That was not time consuming at all. :suicide:

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

Well, in my case, I was going to play a Sneak Attack to throw an ally down for 1 resource and get a cheap attack, since I couldn't afford him during the Planning phase. But, I had already resolved the defenses and then realized I couldn't play any actions until after the attacks.

Not a huge deal, just made me think about timing a little differently.

Uhm, but you can actually, the rules and the reference you posted yourself state that actions can be taken between each combat step.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
"Actions may be taken by any player between each combat step."

:downs: I'm dumb

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

COOL CORN posted:

"Actions may be taken by any player between each combat step."

:downs: I'm dumb

That's the way I played it my first few games, it definitely makes combat harder if you don't use actions at all during the entire sequence of attacks / defenses. (unexpected courage becomes much less valuable)

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I just do actions whenever. There's probably an action window close enough to when I want to do something that it'd slot into a valid window anyway. I think the game allows for changing your mind as much as you like up to a point of information reveal. Anytime you reveal new information, you can't go back beyond that point.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Who wants Conquest spoilers?

http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29176-the-final-gambit/?p=261468

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Looks like a good pack to round out the cycle. Everything more or less directly helps the new warlords, which is good to see. I took 2nd in a tournament yesterday with the new space marine, but don't see myself actually swapping in those cards. But the new Nid, Orc and DE warlords will love the new stuff.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Playing through the Hobbit Saga with some friends and this is the deck I'm using: http://ringsdb.com/deck/view/1144
I change a couple of cards each time depending on what did/did not work so its kind of a hodgepodge a few revisions later now haha. That said I'm having a blast with this deck. Something about going back to a mono-sphere deck and the consistency it gives me is refreshing.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Am I understanding correctly that the Hobbit Cycle / LOTR Cycle can be played without anything from the previous cycles?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Yeah, they usually post a deck that is just made from saga/core box when the new saga box comes out. I don't think I've specifically tried it since I played the first Saga box waaay back. All I had then was Core, Khazad-Dum, and The Black Riders.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Rusty Kettle posted:

Looks like a good pack to round out the cycle. Everything more or less directly helps the new warlords, which is good to see. I took 2nd in a tournament yesterday with the new space marine, but don't see myself actually swapping in those cards. But the new Nid, Orc and DE warlords will love the new stuff.

The ig and tau cards are trash tier.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

Am I understanding correctly that the Hobbit Cycle / LOTR Cycle can be played without anything from the previous cycles?

I would recommend easy mode though.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Panzeh posted:

I wonder if the Guard cards are prepping for their spoiled warlord in the next cycle.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Panzeh posted:

I dunno. I was planning on trying out the IG planet attachment. I had three muster the guards, and this might be a good replacement.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

COOL CORN posted:

Supposedly they can be played with just a core, although the difficulty is a bit steeper without the complete card pool. They also come with a few new card types (Boons, Burdens, Treasures) and spheres (Baggins / Fellowship) that can only be used within the saga expansions.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Panzeh posted:

tau cards are trash tier.

Has Tau gotten any cards that weren't trash tier in the past two cycles that weren't trash tier? The Auxiliary Armor is good on Shadowsun for being 2 shields and then able to be recurred with her ability, but...???

The Kroot might be good if they ever get some sort of synergy with Kroots that give them command, because both the Hunter and Carnivore Pack are pretty solid for being "free." Really, I think the command icon part of the Auxiliary Armor should have worked on Kroots as well (the artwork even uses a kroot?), but we'll see if they ever get a Kroot-centric warlord.

It's also unfortunate that Elites are so inherently weak, since they're super susceptible to the tricks that are always plays.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I dunno if I would say that elites are inherently weak. There is a lot of non-elite hate like the drat shrieking harpy. I always have at least three in there.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

Panzeh posted:

I think the IG one that puts a support into play will see play, and the big tank might as well. Not fond of Rally Point, though. The Kroot Hunter looks decent to me, people play Mystic Warden (0 for a 2/2 with a downside), and Kroot Hunter is 0 for a 2/2 with no downside on 60% of the planets in the game.

GrandpaPants posted:

Has Tau gotten any cards that weren't trash tier in the past two cycles that weren't trash tier? The Auxiliary Armor is good on Shadowsun for being 2 shields and then able to be recurred with her ability, but...???

This cycle had Auxiliary Armor, Drone Defense System, and Sae'lum Enclave, all of which are probably 4/5 or 5/5 cards, while last cycle had Bork'an Recruits, For the Tau'va, Tense Negotiations, and several that are great for Aun'shi and terrible for everyone else. Tau have suffered a bit from cards that are overspecialized towards their particular warlords, making the selection for each individual warlord somewhat more limited, but otherwise seem to be doing well.

GrandpaPants posted:

The Kroot might be good if they ever get some sort of synergy with Kroots that give them command, because both the Hunter and Carnivore Pack are pretty solid for being "free." Really, I think the command icon part of the Auxiliary Armor should have worked on Kroots as well (the artwork even uses a kroot?), but we'll see if they ever get a Kroot-centric warlord.

It's also unfortunate that Elites are so inherently weak, since they're super susceptible to the tricks that are always plays

A card that gave Kroot command would be very strong (though the Auxiliary Armor art is a Vespid and not a Kroot). As for Elites, they've been getting better and apparently the next big box will greatly boost them. I also think some of the new warlords have synergy there - the new super tank works well with Worr, for instance (who makes it immune to rout effects on green planets and favors prolonged fights), while Gorzod can play it at a reduced price.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I played through the Hobbit Saga with the suggested thematic deck a bit. And also a much harsher thematic deck (ie no allies but the company), without any kazadhum/dwarrowdelf stuff. It's tough but possible. I switched it up for the battle of five armies since thematically there is more than just the company there.
I started the Black Riders with the suggested deck, which only uses core and Black Rider cards, and it's a good deck for the first scenario. After that I think I went back to playing double handed.

It is possible to do Core and saga only, but there are some cards you'd really want from the cycles. Hobbit you'd want a lot of the dwarven stuff. LOTR you'd want at the minimum Fast Hitch from the first cycle.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
Just played the LOTR card game for the first time ever, solo, was fun as hell. Whoever said that it feels kinda like playing MTG in terms of brain power used was right on the money.

I only have the core set, and am playing double fisted. If I'm looking to start getting expansions to keep playing 2p solo, what should I get next?

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Present posted:

Just played the LOTR card game for the first time ever, solo, was fun as hell. Whoever said that it feels kinda like playing MTG in terms of brain power used was right on the money.

I only have the core set, and am playing double fisted. If I'm looking to start getting expansions to keep playing 2p solo, what should I get next?

That was me who said that :)

If you want to go for specific deck types, https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-player-buying-guide/

If you want a cohesive campaign, pick up the saga expansions.

If you have a feeling that you'll happily drop $350 to get everything eventually, just start working your way through the cycles in release order.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?
Ian's buying guide is an excellent source. I also posted my own guide, where I give a bit more guidance, based on what you're looking for.

http://mirkwoodrunner.blogspot.com/2016/02/what-do-i-buy-mirkwood-runner-buying.html

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Is there a 'tournament winning decklist' thing for Conquest? Closest I can find is digging through the warlord forum threads but that takes time

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

StashAugustine posted:

Is there a 'tournament winning decklist' thing for Conquest? Closest I can find is digging through the warlord forum threads but that takes time

I noticed on conquestdb the winning decks that are reported are all tagged with a little trophy icon. You'll also see second/third place decks there too, etc.

Granted, it's not like MTG where you'll typically get decklists posted automatically somewhere-it's largely all based on if whoever wins posts them up. Also I know some dudes don't like their decklists getting out so they purposely don't put them up so that's still a thing.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Thanks. Also rules question: can you use Preemptive Barrage on your warlord (assuming he's Guard), and if you did could you use his ability to exhaust and withdraw?

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

StashAugustine posted:

Thanks. Also rules question: can you use Preemptive Barrage on your warlord (assuming he's Guard), and if you did could you use his ability to exhaust and withdraw?

Yes to both. This is actually quite a strong move in many situations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

In LotR can you keep piling on progress tokens on quest cards above the required number if there is another requirement to fulfill that quest phase, like killing Ungoliant's Spawn in Beorn's path branch, or killing the Troll in the second quest? There are cards that reduce progress, so having a buffer is nice.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Fat Samurai posted:

In LotR can you keep piling on progress tokens on quest cards above the required number if there is another requirement to fulfill that quest phase, like killing Ungoliant's Spawn in Beorn's path branch, or killing the Troll in the second quest? There are cards that reduce progress, so having a buffer is nice.

Official FAQ, pg. 11:

Q: If players have placed progress tokens on a quest equal to its quest points, but a game effect prevents them from advancing, can they continue to place progress tokens on the quest?

A: Yes. There is no upper limit to how many progress tokens may be placed on a quest.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks! Now to see if I can stop losing Eowyn to Necromancer's Reach and Evil Storms. I'm this close to slap a Citadel Plate on her.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Fat Samurai posted:

Thanks! Now to see if I can stop losing Eowyn to Necromancer's Reach and Evil Storms. I'm this close to slap a Citadel Plate on her.

Necromancer's Reach is the biggest bullshit

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

COOL CORN posted:

Necromancer's Reach is the biggest bullshit

Even when there are many other brutal cards and you haven't played the core set/Mirkwood cycle in ages...
...You'll never ever forget Necromancer's Reach.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
The first time I tried Journey Along The Anduin, I kept pulling poo poo cards and ended up having all my heroes 1HP away from death after the Hill Troll fight. Then I thought, "gently caress this I'm getting out of here," sent all my heroes to quest, and pulled a Necromancer's Reach.

:shepicide:

To be fair, I was feeling really reckless and pissy after a lovely Hill Troll battle. I think part of me wanted the suicide to happen.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Necromancer's Reach is great for drawing on Setup.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

3x A Test Of Will, all decks, all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Plus three Henamarth Riversongs