Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Shunkymonky posted:

I'll give some credit in that I did not expect their changes to superannuation to go as far as it did considering their base.

Limiting non-concessional contributions to a lifetime limit of $500K whilst it's currently $180K a year until you turn 75 is a pretty stark change. Especially since its effective from the budget announcement, so nothing we dodgy accountants can do about it. We told some clients to consider putting extra in before the budget, but I'm still shocked they went to this extreme.

Yeah some of the superannuation changes seemed to be just a bit of fiddling about but that part did actually seem pretty decent and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
The best bit is when businesses complain about how productivity has gone down now that they're employing a constantly rotating force of underpaid people who don't want to be there, and that they really need to wind back the inefficient bureaucracy of schemes like workcover and oh&s regulations

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

LibertyCat posted:

Raising Newstart does not mean "fiddly office poo poo" will get done.

Yeah, they might even have to hire someone to do that job! I think you might be onto something.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah, they might even have to hire someone to do that job! I think you might be onto something.

And then we'd have to pay less Newstart! Holy poo poo, this is gold, right here.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
people who like the PaTH policy:

policy experts

Negligent posted:

the Australian Council of Social Services (ACOSS) welcomed the move.

"We are very pleased to see the new approach to helping young people into paid work," chief executive Dr Cassandra Goldie said.

"This budget recognises the failure of work for the dole, and has instead provided an opportunity for young people to get work experience in real jobs with a wage subsidy, something we have urged for some time and should be used more widely."

the ABC

people who dont like the PaTH policy

unions

the internet

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Negligent posted:

Virginia owns a café in a busy shopping centre. She has thought about taking on another waiter but is concerned about introducing an unknown person into her well-functioning team.

that's why you have probationary periods

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Negligent has been melting down more than usual lately. Maybe this means that Bill Shorten is going to become prime minister.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Tokamak posted:

Negligent has been melting down more than usual lately. Maybe this means that Bill Shorten is going to become prime minister.

He feels threatened by the new worst poster. I hope LibertyCat undergoes the same transformation as Graic and Negligent can reclaim the title.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

this was a v good night really

got a tax cut

dole bludgers are getting put back into the workforce

labor have no answers except "we will support this policy"

bill shorten's odds of prime minister are still zero to nil

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

carp

carp

carrrrrp

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Negligent posted:

this was a v good night really

got a tax cut

dole bludgers are getting put back into the workforce

labor have no answers except "we will support this policy"

bill shorten's odds of prime minister are still zero to nil

I have them at 3.30:1 actually.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
I've said it before, but if anyone ever asks why oppositions don't release policy before an election, this is why.

If it's good, the Government will attack it relentlessly to try and damage the opposition for coming up with poo poo ideas.

Then roll around to election time, they'll take it as their own.

If it's bad, the Government will attack it relentlessly to try and damage the opposition for coming up with poo poo ideas.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Negligent posted:

Virginia owns a café in a busy shopping centre. She has thought about taking on another waiter but is concerned about introducing an unknown person into her well-functioning team.

Virginia hears about the new internship initiative and contacts her local jobactive provider to arrange a placement. She is introduced to Miles, who is a 19 year old job seeker who has been struggling with depression and has been in jobactive looking for work for seven months. He recently completed intensive employability skills training and feels more confident and prepared for the workforce.

Virginia and Miles agree to an internship placement of 20 hours per week for eight weeks. Virginia receives a $1,000 upfront payment when the internship placement commences, and Miles receives $200 fortnightly on top of his income support.

At the end of the eight weeks, Miles has gained valuable experience in the café. Virginia has been encouraged by how Miles has grown into the job and sees he's a good fit for her team.

Virginia hires Miles in an ongoing position and receives a weekly wage subsidy of $385 per week for the first six months of Miles' employment.

this is not how hospitality works

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

EvilElmo posted:

I've said it before, but if anyone ever asks why oppositions don't release policy before an election, this is why.

If it's good, the Government will attack it relentlessly to try and damage the opposition for coming up with poo poo ideas.

Then roll around to election time, they'll take it as their own.

If it's bad, the Government will attack it relentlessly to try and damage the opposition for coming up with poo poo ideas.

I can't believe you're not even a ~change from within~ Labor type, you literally love their lovely small target neoliberal strategies.

:sad:

^What a great filter.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/davpope/status/727270289004863492

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I can't believe you're not even a ~change from within~ Labor type, you literally love their lovely small target neoliberal strategies.

:sad:

^What a great filter.

You can do a lot more in Government than you can in opposition. As a Greens voter you're probably not aware of that.

If the ALP give the LNP a bunch of policies for them to win an election on, then they water them down, don't deliver or fund them in the long term, we end up with a bunch of tax cuts and no new services and existing services are under resourced.

Or we can wait until an election campaign and release our policies. Would this budget have looked the same if the ALP didn't release any policy? Would they have gone for a tobacco increase? I don't think so. Their strategy was to copy a bunch of Labor policy negating the Labor attack on this budget. If they had to come up with their own "moderate, election winning budget" I don't think they could have pulled it off.

Further proof ACT best.

EvilElmo fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 3, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

EvilElmo posted:

You can do a lot more in Government than you can in opposition. As a Greens voter you're probably not aware of that.

If the ALP give the LNP a bunch of policies for them to win an election on, then they water them down, don't deliver or fund them in the long term, we end up with a bunch of tax cuts and no new services and existing services are under resourced.

Or we can wait until an election campaign and release our policies. Would this budget have looked the same if the ALP didn't release any policy? Would they have gone for a tobacco increase? I don't think so. Their strategy was to copy a bunch of Labor policy negating the Labor attack on this budget. If they had to come up with their own "moderate, election winning budget" I don't think they could have pulled it off.

Further proof ACT best.

But Labor usually steal Liberal policies and water them down. When they're in government they're too scared of losing government to do anything, when they're in opposition they're too scared of not winning government to do anything. It's not a strategy, it's just reaction.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

But Labor usually steal Liberal policies and water them down.

No.

Like this is just lazy analysis, just like the typical cynical "The ALP and LNP are the same" comments in here. It's incorrect and just lazy.

Fits the Greens messaging though, so I understand why you want to say it.

But it's lazy and incorrect, so, try again.

edit: In Government we pushed quite a lot of progressive policy. Most of it removed by the LNP when they took power. You need to be in power for a long time to prevent policy getting reversed with the change of Government. Take US elections right now, if the Republicans win, any progressive policy implemented during Obama's term will be wound back. They need to win this next election and the reelection and it's unlikely to be wound back at that point. Being in Government, and holding it, is very important. Once people see something like an ETS, SPT etc. don't kill the economy, they're no longer election issues.

EvilElmo fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 3, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Yes.

e: Except it's really not that wrong. If the extent the Libs have stolen policy from Labor is being used as the baseline for it, then Labor steal and back Liberal policy to a far greater extent than the reverse.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 3, 2016

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

EvilElmo posted:

As a Greens voter I've seen what Labor does in government.

quote:

The last three PMs to increase (or propose increasing) tobacco excise were Rudd, Gillard and Keating, so yeah, I think the Coalition might have been aware of Labor's stance on the matter. It's also hardly the mainstay of the budget, and the only reason that it's getting any significant attention at the moment is because the PBO and Treasury disagree on how effective it'll be at reducing smoking rates.

I'd also note that Labor released a policy on negative gearing, which didn't seem to turn up in the budget? Not sure why.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

As a Greens voter I've seen what Labor does in government.

You're right. ALP don't do anything good.

Through a minority government and very hostile opposition they got:

NBN
Carbon Tax
Mining Tax
NDIS
Apology to stolen generation
Education reform
PPL to include men
Plain packaging

Greens:

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The last three PMs to increase (or propose increasing) tobacco excise were Rudd, Gillard and Keating, so yeah, I think the Coalition might have been aware of Labor's stance on the matter. It's also hardly the mainstay of the budget, and the only reason that it's getting any significant attention at the moment is because the PBO and Treasury disagree on how effective it'll be at reducing smoking rates.

I'd also note that Labor released a policy on negative gearing, which didn't seem to turn up in the budget? Not sure why.

EvilElmo posted:

You'll find they think it is bad policy. Some of their biggest donors are property developers and investment funds who don't want anything done in this space. Their super reforms are looking to push more people into the property market for their super savings.

The tobacco was an example, there are many other measures in this budget the Government has taken from the ALP.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

e: Except it's really not that wrong. If the extent the Libs have stolen policy from Labor is being used as the baseline for it, then Labor steal and back Liberal policy to a far greater extent than the reverse.

Yeah, not right either. So keep trying.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
lmao "uh you're wrong actually" "how so" "uh you're wrong actually"

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
you're
*checks notes*
wrong, actually

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog on the Budget:

Kitten wrestling:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

EvilElmo posted:

You're right. ALP don't do anything good.

Through a minority government and very hostile opposition they got:

NBN
Carbon Tax
Mining Tax
NDIS
Apology to stolen generation
Education reform
PPL to include men
Plain packaging

Greens:
Yup, without a majority in parliament Labor alone did all those things. By themselves. Without any other votes or support.

quote:

The tobacco was an example, there are many other measures in this budget the Government has taken from the ALP.
Like?

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Negligent I'm pretty sure your brain is broken

I can't be certain though I'm only being paid $4 an hour for my slave labour

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

EvilElmo posted:

Which party did Gillard form government with? I obviously wasn't paying attention.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Actually releasing good economic policies that have been stolen by the Libs has been great for the ALP. It's framed the debate in such a way that the Libs are at a natural disadvantage because it's not about economic management anymore, it's about fairness.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Also if you look at agency staffing in Budget Paper No. 4, TAX FORCE is 539 people, not 1000.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
if you're crying about the liberals stealing your policy maybe the problem is that you put forward a policy platform the liberals are okay with stealing

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Anyone have a break down on the budget notes for this? I can't be hosed reading 10 pages of negligent trying to be cool by being an edgy teenager.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Seagull posted:

you're
*checks notes*
wrong, actually

noice

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Birdstrike posted:

Actually releasing good economic policies that have been stolen by the Libs has been great for the ALP. It's framed the debate in such a way that the Libs are at a natural disadvantage because it's not about economic management anymore, it's about fairness.

It also lets them laser-focus on the things that got changed, or that they didn't come up with, instead of having to fight the entire thing.

Maybe be a bit snide about the fact that they apparently wrote half the budget, but then come out swinging against things like the internships, uni funding cuts, and such like that. They won't be blocking supply this time, but there's still things to fight about.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
This "internship" stuff is insane. It'll take 2 hours to get a packet of mince on special at the supermarket. The foreign 7/11 workers got paid more and people got mad at that.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Pope on point

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Endman posted:

Pope on point

perfect

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Lmao the budget has unmentioned cuts to the ABC while reducing licensing fees for the other broadcasters.

The ABC’s public funding will fall $48 million this year, while commercial broadcasters have won a $163m saving from the cost of licence fees over four years.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Pope on Dutton

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

tithin posted:

Pope on Dutton

Pope is a national treasure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Breaking news

Clive Palmer will not seek re-election in his federal seat of Fairfax

• Locked thread