Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm still looking forward to Scooby Apocalypse. It looks like a... strange departure from tradition, but hopefully it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Robwilliams71/status/727179263837921280

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Reminder Rob Williams is great so try to look past Lee and Tan. Get the audiobook version.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

no one!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Something about hipster Shaggy seems so perfect, and I'm down for Future Quest.

One thing I liked about DCyou was the experimentation that was involved and I'm really sad to see it go with Rebirth. Instead of expanding the craziness they are doubling down on the safe stuff, and then people complain on how desperate they are.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Young Animal seems to be making up for a lot of it hopefully.

I still wish we got Tom King on Green Lanterns after his work with Omega Men though.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Is this just who is doing the cover? Not sure how impressed I am if this is what it's actually going to be like on the inside too.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jim Lee's also doing interiors for the odd issues. Philip Tan is doing the even issues.

e: PLASTIC MAN SALE!!

https://www.comixology.com/Plastic-Man-75th-Anniversary-Sale/page/10600?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw
Great sale. It even has 1940's Jack Cole stuff.

e: Those original series issues are public domain, if you wanna save $8.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:49 on May 3, 2016

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Why does everyone dislike Jim lee so much now?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He is a bad artist but still has a lot of influence.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I think it's just his costume designs. They're really bad.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
He's not a garbage tier artist and DC gives work to worse artists, but he's definitely the highest profile bad artist I can think of offhand.

Mapocho
Dec 14, 2006

No pares de creer.
Jim Lee's work would look so much better without Williams inking it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Jim Lee shouldn't be designing characters. I still think he's pretty great when he draws Batman or Superman.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Codependent Poster posted:

He is bad in his own right, look at the recent Rebirth stuff where he's drawing other people's costumes. He is still coasting off of being the guy who drew X-Men when it was the most popular thing in the world. People remember him as a good artist because he was extremely high profile and he was good at the style that was hot at the time, where everything was shiny and had a ton of hatching lines all over everything, and he was better than other artists doing the same thing at the time.

He's pure distilled 90s, he's a holograph variant cover in human form.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I don't hate him, but his style is pretty generic.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

So overly complicated and...fugly.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
What the gently caress is even going on with Deadshot there? Has he been possessed by the spirit of X-O Manowar?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I don't get this either. His 90s stuff is really Liefeldian and 90s-style bad but he doesn't draw like that anymore. I like everything he's done in the past ten or so years probably. Hush still looks great, for example.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
counterpoint: there was nothing good about Batman: Hush

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

PantsOptional posted:

What the gently caress is even going on with Deadshot there? Has he been possessed by the spirit of X-O Manowar?

No, because that's a much more interesting concept than the actual explanation for the new suit, if there even is one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm surprised Deadshot has't had that Punisher in hiding surgery yet.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

I'm surprised Deadshot has't had that Punisher in hiding surgery yet.

Well in Suicide Squad Most Wanted they had him being replaced by a black man. The way it's been handled though is pretty amusing though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm waking up to nobody going nuts for Plastic Man comics. Y'all a buncha dopes.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm waking up to nobody going nuts for Plastic Man comics. Y'all a buncha dopes.

I bought all the Baker ones the last time they were on sale. They are dope though it took me a while to warm up to the artwork.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I kinda wish DC would stop trying to make Deadshot's armor look good and just make him a regular guy with a red eyepatch/eye replacement thing. Also give him a gimmick/personality more interesting than "guy with guns who shoots other guys with guns and has a sad daughter".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Travis343 posted:

He is bad in his own right, look at the recent Rebirth stuff where he's drawing other people's costumes. He is still coasting off of being the guy who drew X-Men when it was the most popular thing in the world. People remember him as a good artist because he was extremely high profile and he was good at the style that was hot at the time, where everything was shiny and had a ton of hatching lines all over everything, and he was better than other artists doing the same thing at the time.

I think a lot of people also dislike him for going from being the guy who stood up to Marvel mistreating him in the 1990s, going off to start his own company and being wildly successful with it, to being a DC company man who had a go at other artists and writers in the early days of the New 52 when they were quitting or getting dropped and complaining about how they didn't get on with the people at DC.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Jim Lee's also doing interiors for the odd issues. Philip Tan is doing the even issues.

e: PLASTIC MAN SALE!!

https://www.comixology.com/Plastic-Man-75th-Anniversary-Sale/page/10600?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw
Great sale. It even has 1940's Jack Cole stuff.

e: Those original series issues are public domain, if you wanna save $8.

The 80's mini is good and the 90's Ty Templeton written and drawn special is really good.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Coming of Superman has gone from batshit insane to just awful. Its amazing how bad this comic is.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Here's some new costumes not drawn by Jim Lee. Man I love that Superman costume.

Superman by Andy Park

Batman by Howard Porter

Green Lanterns by Alex Garner

Green Arrow and Black Canary by Steve Skroce

X-O fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 4, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jesus Christ that Black Canary looks like a realdoll. I like that Batman though, who's the artist?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Travis343 posted:

Jesus Christ that Black Canary looks like a realdoll. I like that Batman though, who's the artist?

I edited the artists in. I meant to add them in the first place but forgot to go back after pasting the links in.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

Well in Suicide Squad Most Wanted they had him being replaced by a black man. The way it's been handled though is pretty amusing though.

I'll bite, how? Did a black marksman kill Floyd Lawton and declare himself Deadshot?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That guy luckily isn't the regular artist on Green Arrow or Birds of Prey.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

That guy luckily isn't the regular artist on Green Arrow or Birds of Prey.

His Green Arrow looks fine. His Black Canary is quite unfortunate.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, I just mentioned it because Canary is in Green Arrow now.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

TwoPair posted:

I'll bite, how? Did a black marksman kill Floyd Lawton and declare himself Deadshot?

Kind of. Deadshot and some other sharp shooter who happens to be black (but not very Will Smith looking) were sent on a mission, but Deadshot bailed pretty early to deal with some personal poo poo. Deadshot got shot up pretty badly though, and while lying in hospital on life support the sharp shooter comes and bitches out Deadshot for stealing his origin story (as seen in some Justice League annual), and it turns out Floyd's origin is actually pretty similar to the one Ostrander gave him in the original Deadshot mini. Black sharp shooter then declares himself the new Deadshot, goes on a mission with the Suicide Squad and go of the rails and starts killing everyone.

edit: drat Batman really needs some underwear on the outside if his package is going to hang like that.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I love that Batman, and yeah that Sups is solid too.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Black Deadshot got bitten by a radioactive bullet. That's how.

And yeah, great Batman minus the serious dropcrotch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Smart of Batman to make enough room to go full mast too.