Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I found a list of at least some of the changes from 3.0E D&D and 3.5E. There were a lot of them, some major and some minor, and the list itself doesn't always go into extensive detail, but they changed up the skill list, changed up feats, changed spells a whole bunch (added some, removed some, changed names, changed spell levels, changed effects, etc...and when you consider how much of 3.XE is built on spells that's a pretty big set of changes), gave overhauls to several classes, etc. I also recall that monster creation was changed as well on the GM's side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kai Tave posted:

I found a list of at least some of the changes from 3.0E D&D and 3.5E. There were a lot of them, some major and some minor, and the list itself doesn't always go into extensive detail, but they changed up the skill list, changed up feats, changed spells a whole bunch (added some, removed some, changed names, changed spell levels, changed effects, etc...and when you consider how much of 3.XE is built on spells that's a pretty big set of changes), gave overhauls to several classes, etc. I also recall that monster creation was changed as well on the GM's side.

Wizards put out several comprehensive conversion guides if you want the full details on how the major 3.0 books were revamped.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I remember trying to run a small slice of Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, and one of the Kobolds have Ambidexterity as a feat in their statblocks, and I could not for the life of me find what the hell that was since the module was 3.0 and I only had the 3.5e core books.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man, I remember the days when we thought ambidexterity was some sort of OP ability. We were so naive. :allears:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

I remember trying to run a small slice of Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, and one of the Kobolds have Ambidexterity as a feat in their statblocks, and I could not for the life of me find what the hell that was since the module was 3.0 and I only had the 3.5e core books.

The impression I got is that a lot of people gave 3.5E a pass because "oh the changes aren't that big, it's still the same game" except when you take them as a whole there was actually a fairly significant amount of little things all of which added up to the point that yeah, you could easily wind up with statblocks with out of date info, spells and skills and feats which no longer existed, rules that had changed and had knock-on effects as they interacted with other systems, etc.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

The impression I got is that a lot of people gave 3.5E a pass because "oh the changes aren't that big, it's still the same game" except when you take them as a whole there was actually a fairly significant amount of little things all of which added up to the point that yeah, you could easily wind up with statblocks with out of date info, spells and skills and feats which no longer existed, rules that had changed and had knock-on effects as they interacted with other systems, etc.

3.5 was also so successfully presented/marketed* as being a set of minor improvements to 3 that most people I knew at the time ended up just sort of going "eh, close enough".

*I'm not using exactly the right words here - I think a big part of it was that so many people desparately wanted it to be a few small changes that they ended up believing that's what it was.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Speaking of updated rules sets...

Sean Fannon from the Savage Worlds - Rifts KS posted:

In this way, we also made a fundamental change that differentiates Savage Rifts® from the original Rifts®. Not every suit of armor is M.D.C., and not every weapon does Mega-Damage. This was another area of much discussion, wrangling, thinking, and more discussion, but I think I can boil down the moment that solidified it. Savage Worlds creator Shane Hensley and I were chatting online and Shane asked what would happen if a Glitter Boy pilot were sitting next to a campfire, wearing normal body armor, and a guy with leather armor and a spear jumped out at him. I explained that, under Rifts® rules, the spear wielder would have no chance of hurting the pilot, who would then blow him into a fine red mist with a laser pistol.
We both agreed that, while that was absolutely Rifts in nature, it wasn't Savage Worlds.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
In other game licensing news, Mongoose liked the idea of the DM Guild so much, they set something similar up for Traveller: http://forum.mongoosepublishing.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=119092

But Mongoose wants 50% from any works created with this license, according to this discussion on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/rpgbt/permalink/10154174591087558/

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

dwarf74 posted:

As I've said before, what's arguably my most successful campaign of all time used my hack of the Call of Cthulhu d20 rules. (I even made a character sheet specially for it.)

The rulebook itself has excellent advice on how to run a horror campaign. And a lot more than you probably ever wanted to know about 20th Century guns and gun laws.

On this note, does anyone know if the original DG PDF being sold in DTRPG is the reprint that's dual-statted for d20?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Word on the street is that the DM's Guild is really only good for people who were going to write 50,000,000 words of homebrew about the Forgotten Realms anyway, so they may as well get some money for it.

If there's any other RPG with fans that can't stop themselves from writing 50,000,000 words of homebrew, it's probably Traveller.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

gradenko_2000 posted:

On this note, does anyone know if the original DG PDF being sold in DTRPG is the reprint that's dual-statted for d20?

Nope.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Halloween Jack posted:

Word on the street is that the DM's Guild is really only good for people who were going to write 50,000,000 words of homebrew about the Forgotten Realms anyway, so they may as well get some money for it.

If there's any other RPG with fans that can't stop themselves from writing 50,000,000 words of homebrew, it's probably Traveller.

mllenaza, can you comment on this?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

JerryLee posted:

I am talking about rules, though: basically any monster, class concept, or whatever else has any sort of mechanical presence in the old rules but wasn't in a 4E book for months/years to come, if ever. It seems like a lot of people have gotten hung up on the Planescape thing specifically, and that may be largely my fault for using it as my first and most visible example. Sorry! :shobon:

Anyway. A lot of people have said or implied things along the lines of "well, shucks, how do you do any necessary edition update without disrupting things??" It's a fair question, because obviously you did need a 4E that would lack some stuff in common with 3E, namely the dumb/broken poo poo that you had to trim out to have a game that was playable at all levels.

JerryLee posted:

That delay is is a decent example of what I meant, yeah. The thing is that, I guess unlike you and the glad contingent to which you refer, I'm not willing to take a charitable view of the delay in porting everything over. You seem to think it was because they just needed that dang long to figure out how to get everything right; I tend to have the more cynical default hypothesis that it's because they think they can make more money by stringing everything out.
I don't know exactly what monsters and character options you're referencing, but the hard truth is there's a lot of overlap between those things and the "dumb/broken poo poo you have to trim out." Challenge Rating was a noble idea that didn't work well; even the first 4e MM had better monster math. Level adjustment for racial templates, same problem. And while late-era 3e arguably let you build any character concept, the results were often practically unplayable. Expecting 4e to be backwards compatible, to have every possible character option from 3e available at launch, and fix them so they work in play is an impossible goal.

4e classes all have completely unique powers and class features, and most importantly, each one is supposed to explore some unique design space. They don't refer to the same stock spell lists and class features. It is in fact much, much harder than writing a 3e sourcebook with several new base classes and prestige classes that are packages of preexisting class features. I could design a set of themed 3e prestige classes during my lunch break that aren't notably better or worse than official published material.

JerryLee posted:

One other thing I do want to add is that the 3E->4E experience makes me sympathetic** to a lot of the folks who lost what they loved about 4E when WOTC sharply changed direction again for 5E. It's really the worst of both worlds again: the people who wanted something almost exactly like 3E already have Pathfinder, so there was no reason for WOTC to junk a different game incarnation that many people had come to love on its own merits.

**I won't lie, there's also some reflexive schadenfreude, but that certainly shouldn't be directed at everyone who enjoyed 4E.
Are you saying you felt schadenfreude when 4e ended and all its innovations were ignored in the new editions, because of what happened in the 3e to 4e transition? If so, that's incredibly petty. I had some frustrating experiences with 3e, but I wasn't rubbing my hands with glee at the thought of people who dared to like it getting their just desserts.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Halloween Jack posted:

Someone posted the Chivalry and Sorcery license in that thread.

quote:

A LICENSE AGREEMENT made this day of 2xxx between

A N Other LLC
(Hereafter referred to as “Publisher”)

AND

Brittannia Game Designs Ltd
(Hereafter referred to as “BGD Ltd”)

1. Grant of Rights

a) BGD Ltd hereby grants to the Publisher a licence to publish supplementary products for the Role Playing Game known as Chivalry & Sorcery, together with such materials from all editions of Chivalry & Sorcery as may be required to best enhance the product the Publisher intends to produce. (The Chivalry & Sorcery materials hereafter referred to as “C&S”). BGD Ltd grants to the Publisher the right to use any Trade Mark or distinctive feature from C&S in the product which the Publisher produces provided the Publishers acknowledges the fact of the use being under license.

b) The Publisher hereby warrants that the material that will be published and distributed under this license does not infringe upon the copyright of any other work; that it is not libelous or otherwise unlawful. The Publisher hereby agrees to indemnify BGD Ltd or any other party contractually related to BGD Ltd who may be injured by the Publisher breaching this warrant.

2. Editorial Control

Editorial control will be shared as follows:

a) All editing and layout will be done by the Publisher.

b) BGD Ltd will have final editorial approval on the manner C&S materials are used by the Publisher.

3. License Fees

The Publisher will pay license fees as follows:

a) All License Fees will be based on the “Suggested Retail Price” of all material published.

b) A 5% royalty will be paid on sales by the Publisher on any C&S product which they publish.

c) License fees shall be paid for an accounting period of quarterly on the last day of January, April, July, October, beginning on the first such date after release date of any such product. In the event of no sales taking place during an accounting period, statements will be sent to that effect. Statements must be sent within 30 days of the end of an accounting period unless an extension is granted by BGD Ltd.

d) Payment will be made by the Publishers to BGD Ltd

e) All the Publishers business records relating to product produced under this licence will be made available to BGD Ltd or their designated representatives, upon request in writing with reasonable notice.

4. Copyrights

This licence specifically is for publication rights only. No copyright ownership is changed in any way by this contract. The copyrights for all original C&S material remain with their owners. The copyright for any product published by the “Publisher” will belong to the Publisher and will be subject to the license back to BGD Ltd and its contractual partners to use for an identical royalty rate.

This licence grants permission to the Publisher to use the Chivalry & Sorcery logo, a registered trademark owned by BGD Ltd.

5. Complimentary Copies

The Publisher shall provide BGD Ltd with 20 copies of any product published, to cover appropriate filings within the UK and record copies for BGD Ltd. Any further copies can be purchased at a 60% discount.

6. Term

This contract will be valid while the Publisher continues to publish material for C&S. Either party can terminate this contract giving three months written notice. The con- tract can also be terminated in writing by BGD Ltd in the event that the Publisher does not provide an accounting within the items specified above or within any extension granted by BGD Ltd. In the event that the Publisher receives such a notice it will have 60 days to provide the accounting or the contact is automatically terminated.

7. Jurisdiction

a) This contract is subject to the laws of England and Wales.

b) All terms and conditions of this contract will be binding on the heirs and succes- sors of all parties.

AS WITNESS the hands of the parties:

For and on behalf of A N Other LLC:

Name: Position:

For and on behalf of Brittannia Game Designs Ltd:

Name: Position:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Remember Monsterpocalypse? Did you remember they were going to make a movie back when Monsterpocalypse was still a thing?

Looks like the movie is still going to happen with the guy who did the Evil Dead remake directing?

What's next, the Rifts movie actually getting made?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Reading about stuff "left out" of 4th ed PHB1 made me check how many pages are actually in those books. 3rd, 4th, and 5th ed PHB1 are all 317 pages (like, marked page numbers, I guess 320 actual pages). I assume that's some kind of printing/binding constraint? You can't add just 1 page to a book like that, right? They're added in blocks or something?

If they were going to include, another class (~14 pages), how many actual pages would they have to add to make the binding still work?

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 4, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Each page is usually one super-long page that's folded over, and bundled together with a few other pages. Then they take a bunch of those bundles and bind them together (usually with thread). As my failing Werewolf Revised book is more than happy to demonstrate

That said i'm not sure 'how many' it would take, but it will almost always be a multiple of four.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Evil Mastermind posted:

Remember Monsterpocalypse? Did you remember they were going to make a movie back when Monsterpocalypse was still a thing?

Looks like the movie is still going to happen with the guy who did the Evil Dead remake directing?

What's next, the Rifts movie actually getting made?

Maybe they'd bring the game back if there was a film?

I never got a chance to play it but I'd be down with a tabletop kaiju/giant robot game.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

AlphaDog posted:

Reading about stuff "left out" of 4th ed PHB1 made me check how many pages are actually in those books. 3rd, 4th, and 5th ed PHB1 are all 317 pages (like, marked page numbers, I guess 320 actual pages). I assume that's some kind of printing/binding constraint? You can't add just 1 page to a book like that, right? They're added in blocks or something?

If they were going to include, another class (~14 pages), how many actual pages would they have to add to make the binding still work?

Someone in the chat thread, I think, explained that multiples of 16 are traditional for printing.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

LongDarkNight posted:

Someone in the chat thread, I think, explained that multiples of 16 are traditional for printing.

They're called signatures: http://www.designersinsights.com/designer-resources/understanding-and-working-with-print

A bunch of companies are getting into the DM Guild style licensing action: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/communitycontent.php?affiliate_id=231528

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Kurieg posted:

Each page is usually one super-long page that's folded over, and bundled together with a few other pages. Then they take a bunch of those bundles and bind them together (usually with thread). As my failing Werewolf Revised book is more than happy to demonstrate

That said i'm not sure 'how many' it would take, but it will almost always be a multiple of four.

Typically each folio is 16 pages IIRC.

This assuming your book is actually bound this way. Cheap ones are just loose leaves glued into the spine like a pad of writing paper, and a lot less sturdy as a result.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

thespaceinvader posted:

Typically each folio is 16 pages IIRC.

This assuming your book is actually bound this way. Cheap ones are just loose leaves glued into the spine like a pad of writing paper, and a lot less sturdy as a result.

Quite a few 90's RPG books were done this way, with predictable results for durability. It was apparently a thing to chop the bindings off, hole punch the lot, and shove it in a binder.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

Are you saying you felt schadenfreude when 4e ended and all its innovations were ignored in the new editions, because of what happened in the 3e to 4e transition?

except that's not at all what happened, 4e is just 3e with better math and class balance, 4e took the actual innovations of 3e namely bringing everything together under the d20 system and ran with it. 5e instead threw out all that work and halfassed "improvements" to 3e except it kept all the problems and called them features.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Are you saying you felt schadenfreude when 4e ended and all its innovations were ignored in the new editions, because of what happened in the 3e to 4e transition? If so, that's incredibly petty. I had some frustrating experiences with 3e, but I wasn't rubbing my hands with glee at the thought of people who dared to like it getting their just desserts.
I'm fairly certain he's just saying that your game was wrecked by WotC in the same way that he preceived his game to have been wrecked by WotC, and even notes that this is probably a bad feeling to have.

jadarx
May 25, 2012
So I found this in the Pathfinder MMO thread:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/rsdancey

Seems like Dancey is back at AEG. So for those who thought the MMO would sink him.... NOPE!

RIP AEG

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It's interesting to note that Dancey was hired in the same month that Legend of the Five Rings was sold. :raise:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

What does AEG still own?

jadarx
May 25, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

What does AEG still own?

Smash-Up, Doomtown and Love Letter would the biggest properties.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Mors Rattus posted:

What does AEG still own?

They're in the board game/non-collectable card game business at the moment. They own the Doomtown LCG revamp, Love Letter, Smash Up, Valley of the Kings (a deckbuilder that's supposed to be pretty decent) and a bunch of other stuff that I always pass over when browsing the shelves at the game store because it looks lame (not that Smash Up itself isn't also bad but it's popular bad, whereas I don't know anyone champing at the bit to play Game of Crowns the totally not Game of Thrones game or something called "Epic PVP").

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm not sure how Dancey can gently caress that up.

I'm sure he'll find a way.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Also it looks like they sold off 7th Sea about two months after he was hired. Who needs recognizable properties? Not AEG!

They have a bunch of card and board games. Junta, Doomtown, and a bunch of translated games like Love Letter are the ones I can actually remember. Doomtown probably has the largest fan base of anything they have left, AFAIK.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Mors Rattus posted:

What does AEG still own?

They still own Brave New World

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's interesting to note that Dancey was hired in the same month that Legend of the Five Rings was sold. :raise:
Regardless of what anyone thinks about him being back at AEG, I'm just celebrating L5R escaping his clutches. I don't need to see Dancey trying to sell himself as the Hiroshi Yamauchi of CCG Marketing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, I guess since most of AEG's stuff are ~$20 single-box card games, there's not much damage for him to do?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, I guess since most of AEG's stuff are ~$20 single-box card games, there's not much damage for him to do?

What if we launched a system that was like Facebook but for deckbuilding games?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Doesn't AEG do those lovely $60 mystery boxes?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Mors Rattus posted:

What if we launched a system that was like Facebook but for deckbuilding games?
How are you going to keep the goons out?!

moths posted:

Raise the price to $6,000 and empty the box, and now you're in Dancey country.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

We'll tie it to your real name.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

moths posted:

Yeah, but they only release those once a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

I know some people are tabletop game publishers in this thread. I want to warm them of a apparent new scam - from the Facebook group Tabletop Game Publishers, someone posted this thread:

quote:

Someone who (supposedly) owns your game messages you and says their car was broken into. They are wondering if you can replace their game that was stolen. What do you do?

I ask because I got this message through our Broomstick Monkey Games website:

"Earlier this week, my car was broken into (IMGUR photos of broken car window). In addition to taking my backpack, which contained my wallet, social security card, and $2000 laptop, (which I need for work) they also took a bunch of games I had in the backseat.

Among them was my copy of Imperial Harvest.
frown emoticon

I know there is likely no precedent for this, and that you being able to help me out is not likely, but I figured I would ask - is there any way Broomstick Monkey Games would be able to replace my copy?

Again, I know this is asking a lot, but I thought I would reach out and check.

Thanks so much!"

My initial reaction: Is this guy scamming me to get a free game?

Second reaction: I'm probably being paranoid. I should totally just surprise him by sending a free game. I'll even pay for the shipping because, hey, I am freaking awesome like that. Plus his car got broken into and he's got bigger problems to worry about than paying for shipping. Maybe I'll just ask him to post about his interaction with our company on someplace like BGG, then I can count the cost as advertising/publicity instead of charity.

Third reaction: If I send him a free game, he should DEFINITELY have to share about his positive interaction with my company. Otherwise, I am turning my business into a charity.

Fourth reaction: Then again, whatever he posts will probably never be viewed by anyone or chatted about. I've done stuff like this before (probably 5 or 6 times since we launched our KS campaign), and I have never seen anything come from those charitable actions. Might just be easier to send him the stuff and move on without requiring him to do something in return. It would certainly be easier...

Fifth reaction: Then again, the easiest thing would be to simply ignore the email and say, "Sucks to be you, but I have a business to run and I can't shell out $40+ every time someone comes to me with a sob story. If I do that long enough, I can't launch any more games and then where does that leave me and my fans. Plus, you may still be a scammer."

Sixth reaction: *checks Kickstarter backers* Hmm, doesn't looked like you backed our Kickstarter, so you would have had to buy your game(s) from us at a convention. That seems unlikely given that we have only sold games at 2 conventions so far...so I am thinking you are a scammer.

Seventh reaction: Honestly, if this was some reviewer that just wanted a free review copy, I would send him the game in a heart beat because I would at least be getting some advertising (and hopefully more folks would realize how flipping awesome our game is).

Eighth reaction: I suppose I could just ask the fellow to pay for shipping and then we could send him the game. That way, the only thing we would be losing is the opportunity cost of having sold the game to someone else. He would also have to decide if that was worth it to him, and if it was not worth it (i.e., he felt our game was worth less than the cost of shipping), then we would not ship it (because the game is certainly worth more to us, and we would gain nothing by sending a free game to someone who doesn't appreciate what they are getting).

Ninth reaction: I should really just ask the Publishers Guild for their opinion. My gut instinct is to figure out how/where the guy got his copy of the game so that I can figure out whether he is scamming me...but if he seems legit, I'd just send him the game free of charge (because, as I already noted, I am a freaking awesome guy). Being an awesome guy does not go hand-in-hand with being a successful publisher, though. So I'll get input from the gang. Maybe I am way off base and they can talk some sense into me.

thread here but you need to be a member of that group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/TabletopPublishers/permalink/589879904521155/

The discussion has messages from numerous publishers who all received the same email. Some mailed in new copies of the game. Others questioned him. Check it out: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/208599/jims-stolen-games

quote:

I got the same email, and with the game literally only having been distributed to half the backers at the time of the break in that he admitted to (March 31st), I called him out on trying to scam a free game.
He has yet to contact me back.

quote:

Sent as a review copy - for which he never made the review. Just recently asked why and he said he didn't like it so didn't make the review. Then why the hell is he asking for a replacement copy of a game he didn't like?

• Locked thread