Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

lite_sleepr posted:

PvP is really lovely in this game and should probably just be forgotten about *entirely* so the development team can focus on the true game. The singleplayer/co-op experience.

PVP is quite good actually. Sorry you have a bad connection, that sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toastymcfly
Mar 21, 2008
Goddamn nameless king. Spent like 30 minutes trying to sunbro the fight to learn it and we've gotten to second phase once. Anyone want to help a filthy casual like myself? Password is rockafel

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
The people with two phantoms who disconnect when i invade are hilarious, since ~85% of my fights involve me getting killed in seconds

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Can ng+ coop password with ng

Cause if so I'll help

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 4, 2016

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Maybe try with a plus 10 weapon.

If only I could combine my shards into large shards, and then those into chunks, I could.

Until I can get some loving chunks to drop I'm kind of SOL.

Genocyber posted:

PVP is quite good actually. Sorry you have a bad connection, that sucks.

You're wrong :shrug:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Toastymcfly posted:

Goddamn nameless king. Spent like 30 minutes trying to sunbro the fight to learn it and we've gotten to second phase once. Anyone want to help a filthy casual like myself? Password is rockafel

Tips: get a bigger weapon so you can hit the head more easily in phase 1, and use the Dried Finger to get a third phantom.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

lite_sleepr posted:

You're wrong :shrug:

no u

But seriously, your connection problems are your own fault, not the game's. The lopsided way PvP works outside of Farron and Irithyll is the game's fault, but fortunately Farron and Irithyll exist. Take advantage of them!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Just to make sure, the Lothric Knights around the Daragonslayer Armour with the UGS can drop it right? Because I've been farming them for a while and have not seen it yet even with an off-hand crystal sage rapier. I wish there was a more efficient way to kill them, it takes so long at this early stage of the game to take out even one of them.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Invading on the cathedreal rafters leads to some amazingly stupid fights.

Also when you return to your world all the slug corpses fall from the sky so that's funny.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 4, 2016

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
Dark Souls 3 with controller: barely figure out parry timing.
Dark Souls 3 with mouse&keyboard: parry Gundyr three times in a row.

The gently caress, me?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

no u

But seriously, your connection problems are your own fault, not the game's. The lopsided way PvP works outside of Farron and Irithyll is the game's fault, but fortunately Farron and Irithyll exist. Take advantage of them!

Eh, with how my connection is and lack of pvp ability I'll pass.

Also, I had no idea about any of the phantoms my hosts summoned. Every single time I invaded shortly after I would get a summoning phantom message.

HnK416 posted:

Dark Souls 3 with controller: barely figure out parry timing.
Dark Souls 3 with mouse&keyboard: parry Gundyr three times in a row.

The gently caress, me?

That is weird considering dark souls games don't require the precision of a mouse.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Wear it with fatman armour and pretend you're a mech dragon.

I did something like that in DS2. I had the dragon helmet, rusty turtle armor, mastadon leggings and dual-wielded a pair of scorpion claws and I looked like some kind of tiny Godzilla monster. I was loving awful at PVP so it didn't last long, though, but it looked pretty good.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bombadilillo posted:

I'm no From lore detective so this might be babies first interpretation. But is the 'first flame' literally The Sun?

DS1 intro is fighting dragons in stormy cloudiness, DS3 ends with the sun dark signed and melting away to the age of dark.

Is this so obvious that nobody actually states it in any lore videos or things I've read? It's been years since I read DS1 lore.

This is a cool theory, and fits with Gwyn being associated with the sun. I haven't actually seen anybody propose it before.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

BobTheJanitor posted:

Really makes me think there was supposed to be a dragon covenant with the stones as rewards, and that altar at the end as the join/turn-in point but they ran out of time and scrapped it.

This is probably true, there's only 8 covenants in the game vs 9 in both of the previous two.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

no u

But seriously, your connection problems are your own fault, not the game's.

This is absolute bullshit. This is 90% of PvP for me in DS1, 2 and now 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ryhKKGMSXE

If by "your own fault" you mean "being born outside the USA" then uh sure, but I'm on 100Mbit fiber and PvP feels like it's through 56k.

e: wow that sounded a bit too angry lol

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 4, 2016

Toastymcfly
Mar 21, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

Can ng+ coop password with ng

Cause if so I'll help

You know I have no idea. I realized right after posting that I don't really know how passwords work ha ha. I figured we'd just match me up yeah?

Also whoever said to get a bigger weapon rocks. Not that I'm any closer but getting through phase 1 sooooo much easier

Toastymcfly fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 4, 2016

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

skasion posted:

This is probably true, there's only 8 covenants in the game vs 9 in both of the previous two.

The "dark age" everyone takes metaphorically being the age of man and what not.

Take it a little more literally and we'll you can see from half the endings of DS3 the sun goes out.

So the first flame is the sun, or it is following the power of the first flame in shining or not. We see it getting sucked own before the final choice. There's something there.

Praise the sun, praise the first flame.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

The Moon Monster posted:

Really? Why? I thought his ash didn't unlock anything new that you couldn't get from him after he plunders Irythil.

It unlocks exploding and splintering crossbow bolts and the moss that cures frostbite from the handmaid.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Your Computer posted:

If by "your own fault" you mean "being born outside the USA" then uh sure, but I'm on 100Mbit fiber and PvP feels like it's through 56k.

I mean "turning on global matchmaking when it's off by default," yes.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Toastymcfly posted:

Here's basically what I did. I actually found the second part easier because I wasn't fighting the camera.

Use the Carthus Bloodring (whichever one improves your invulnerability when dodging). Circle to your right. If he starts flying run away and dodge like crazy. That's the only way I've ever been able to dodge the flame breath. The easiest time to hit him is the fire stream. Also I find him vulnerable when the King does the two wide spear attacks.

The second phase is more about being patient than anything else. I like to stay close and dodge forward. He's like a Bloodborne boss.
You can only hit him safely certain times, like after his 3 hit combo. His lightning strike will almost kill you (especially with the ring) but is pretty easy to dodge. You might even be able to get a hit in while he's charging it.

I've made the dragon stagger and was able to do a riposte but I've only done that once. Is it just damage output or is there something you can do to trigger it?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I mean "being born outside the USA and turning on global matchmaking when it's off by default," yes.

Region locking only has two regions, Japan, and everything-not-Japan.

It's not nearly that bad for me in my corner of the homogenous blob that is outside-the-USA-land though.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

So, I just "beat" Ancient Wyvern. :stare:

What happened was, I was taking it easy, running off to the side, figuring based on a message that an opportunity for a plunging attack would present itself. So I fought the snake dudes methodically and was at the bridge where there's one guy breathing fire on you and a bigger guy with an axe on a chain, when all of a sudden I got the boss defeated message.

What the hell happened? Was it a glitch out like the Taurus Demon in DS1 dodging off a wall? Or did one of the snake guys get fed up with it and did the plunging attack on it's own? :v:

I feel a bit cheated.

Archdragon Peak is a hell of a pretty area, though. I think this is the very first time there's been a clear blue sky in a Souls game.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Mazed posted:

What happened was, I was taking it easy, running off to the side, figuring based on a message that an opportunity for a plunging attack would present itself. So I fought the snake dudes methodically and was at the bridge where there's one guy breathing fire on you and a bigger guy with an axe on a chain, when all of a sudden I got the boss defeated message.

What the hell happened? Was it a glitch out like the Taurus Demon in DS1 dodging off a wall? Or did one of the snake guys get fed up with it and did the plunging attack on it's own? :v:

I feel a bit cheated.

Archdragon Peak is a hell of a pretty area, though. I think this is the very first time there's been a clear blue sky in a Souls game.

Sounds like a glitch. There's no snake man's where you plunge attack so I don't think on of them could have completed the canned animation.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

lite_sleepr posted:

I got my Estoc to +8 and made it sharp. It's pretty cool I think.

Then, I tried for 20 minutes to do a PVP. I had 11 CRO's and now I have 4. I have 0 pale tougnes.

The first three fights were so unbearably laggy that the guys were just warping around.

The next 5 fights I either invaded at the precise moment the jerks were going into a critical boss fight so I was returned.

One I lost.

Two I got so bored trying to find the guys I just quit.

PvP is really lovely in this game and should probably just be forgotten about *entirely* so the development team can focus on the true game. The singleplayer/co-op experience.

I feel like there are a bunch of factors making the PvP in this game the worst of the series. Auto-summon covenants barely working for people who play normally. 0 poise leading to a lovely metagame. Invasions hitting people with 2+ co-op phantoms 80% of the time. Rolling being so good and estus being so fast you practically have to 100-0 someone for a kill. I'm glad I'm almost done with the covenants.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Your Computer posted:

e: wow that sounded a bit too angry lol

I mean yeah? Like even playing with JP players on the Jpn ps4 version I had pretty good connections. It's not something in your control but it is still your fault, and not something you can really blame the game for.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Domattee posted:

Region locking only has two regions, Japan, and everything-not-Japan.

It's not nearly that bad for me in my corner of the homogenous blob that is outside-the-USA-land though.

okay that is pretty dumb, I stand corrected

it's still not an argument for abandoning PvP development, though, because jesus, both that and "make the whole game work the way the two already fun and mostly-functional PvP areas work" are clearly possible, considering they've already done each of those things at least once

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Mazed posted:

I feel a bit cheated.

That's definitely a glitch. You're supposed to keep climbing until you find essentially a stone diving board, then plunge off and one-shot the boss with a stab to the head :black101:

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cyberventurer posted:

I can't make the dragon head look good with any armor. :( In DS1, the face was kind of goofy but the neck was thick enough to make it kind of fit well with some bigger pieces of armor, but it's too thin in this one and it makes everything look off.

The body, though, holy poo poo does it look bad. It's basically a zombie body with long nails and a short tail.

The dragon head looks decent with the clandestine coat. I really liked the Kalameet armor in 2. I've always been kind of disappointed with the dragon form in DS1 and 3, since you get a tiny attack boost and a super laggy and non-hitstunning attack in exchange for not wearing armor. Does using the body stone boost unarmed damage in this game like it did in DS1?

Mazed posted:

First time I did the fight I just ran right the gently caress past all the snakemen, got to the diving board, and completely whiffed the attack and died from the fall. That segment is super fun if you try just running past all the snakemen since they'll follow you into the dragon's line of fire. Also it's implied that Archdragon is a shared dream that you can only get to through meditation, since all the "corpses" you meditate next to still bleed.

dromer fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 4, 2016

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Jastiger posted:

I keep invading and getting so owned. It's like they are hyper coordinated in taking down not only me but all invaders. It's so weird. Also how do people swing forever and I never can get out of it but I hit twice and that's it. Grrrr

One of us! One of us!

To answer your question: Currently the matchmaking favors worlds with more phantoms in them. That means you're getting directed to gank-squads, prepared groups of a host +2 or 3 phantoms who try and farm invaders since 1v4 is a joke. They run the dried finger so they can get invaded non stop and since the host almost never dies they usually also have the seed of a giant tree active so you can't even use the NPCs to your advantage. They don't run out of the latter either since you can get a new one if you kill an invader. If you're invading at anything below SL100 the phantoms will generally be high-level characters that have been passworded in.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Will Anri stay in the Church of Yorshka until I kill the Pontiff, or does something else trigger her leaving? I want to summon the Londor Pale shade for the gesture but also do the branch of her quest that makes Yuria leave.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
This dude's pretty good at pvping and also murdering gank squads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5M2NYI4Yto

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Jastiger posted:

I keep invading and getting so owned. It's like they are hyper coordinated in taking down not only me but all invaders. It's so weird. Also how do people swing forever and I never can get out of it but I hit twice and that's it. Grrrr

This is also why it sucks being invaded, BTW. Cause every single invader has the same issue as you, so when they meet a fair fight/close to a fair fight they're so primed from being constantly dunked on that they're hyper ready to kill you. This is also why it sucks trying to play Co-Op, cause someone's going to invade you for sure and if you're just a couple of buds palin' around and exploring the level or just wanna summon some help you're gonna get someone who's so used to 4v1 gank squads they'll wreck you.

All in all, Bad Times For Everyone.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

okay that is pretty dumb, I stand corrected

it's still not an argument for abandoning PvP development, though, because jesus, both that and "make the whole game work the way the two already fun and mostly-functional PvP areas work" are clearly possible, considering they've already done each of those things at least once

Yeah, I'm not arguing for that. The PvP in this game (invasions or ~honorable duels~) can be incredibly fun and deep when it actually works. Which I really wish it did for me :(

Genocyber posted:

I mean yeah? Like even playing with JP players on the Jpn ps4 version I had pretty good connections. It's not something in your control but it is still your fault, and not something you can really blame the game for.

Seriously? :v: I can play other online games just fine, ones that are much faster paced than Dark Souls. Their netcode leaves a lot to be desired, it's something I never thought I'd hear someone defend.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Moon Monster posted:

Will Anri stay in the Church of Yorshka until I kill the Pontiff, or does something else trigger her leaving? I want to summon the Londor Pale shade for the gesture but also do the branch of her quest that makes Yuria leave.

I think that you missed your shot (if you want to get Anri's "good" ending) and you needed to have summoned Londor Pale Shade for the Abyss Watchers' fight to get the gesture. I'm pretty sure that if you want it now, you have to continue following along with Yuria's plans for Anri.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

The Moon Monster posted:

Really? Why? I thought his ash didn't unlock anything new that you couldn't get from him after he plunders Irythil.

Giving his ashes to the old lady at Firelink she'll sell Exploding and Splintering bolts(also Rime Blue Moss but who uses that?), along with whatever he was selling before. This only works if you get his ashes from Grand Archives after sending him on his 3rd outing, just killing him won't work. Obviously this isn't very relevant if you don't use crossbows.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

The Moon Monster posted:

Pretty sure human NPCs leave the area once you get past a certain distance. If you want to both save Anri and get the Pale Shade's gesture in the same game, you'd have to summon the Shade at Farron Keep instead of in Irithyll.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

This dude's pretty good at pvping and also murdering gank squads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5M2NYI4Yto

Thats pretty tame as far as gank squads go. Turtle behind shields, no havelmonster with +8 weapons, dont make use of the fact that two-three people r1-spamming is all it takes to shut down an invader permanently.

I wish most ganksquads were of that caliber.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

dromer posted:

First time I did the fight I just ran right the gently caress past all the snakemen, got to the diving board, and completely whiffed the attack and died from the fall. That segment is super fun if you try just running past all the snakemen since they'll follow you into the dragon's line of fire. Also it's implied that Archdragon is a shared dream that you can only get to through meditation, since all the "corpses" you meditate next to still bleed.

Oh dang, that's a neat theory. Kinda makes the Peak this game's version of the Painted World. I noticed as well that the "corpses" bled and found that to be really odd.

I've hit the endgame. Just gotta finish up Archdragon Peak, then backtrack to the lava place under that Catacombs which I missed, and then check out the Untended Graves.

What an incredible ride this game has been.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Jerusalem posted:

I think that you missed your shot (if you want to get Anri's "good" ending) and you needed to have summoned Londor Pale Shade for the Abyss Watchers' fight to get the gesture. I'm pretty sure that if you want it now, you have to continue following along with Yuria's plans for Anri.

The Londor Pale Shade and Black Hand Gotthard summons will both give you their respective gestures in Irithyll if you didn't already get them in Farron Keep. The Pale Shade can also be summoned for the final boss, but it won't give you the gesture there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Mazed posted:

Oh dang, that's a neat theory. Kinda makes the Peak this game's version of the Painted World. I noticed as well that the "corpses" bled and found that to be really odd.

I've hit the endgame. Just gotta finish up Archdragon Peak, then backtrack to the lava place under that Catacombs which I missed, and then check out the Untended Graves.

What an incredible ride this game has been.

Except that.you can actually pick up stuff there and keep it so like the painted world its probably a real place somewhere