Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Encase yourself in a coffin filled with rice. Pros: never had to read the smug circlejerking ITT again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The rice method is possibly an urban legend; keeping your phone off for a while is the best thing to do by far (which of course correlates with using the rice method).

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

Sir Lemming posted:

The rice method is possibly an urban legend; keeping your phone off for a while is the best thing to do by far (which of course correlates with using the rice method).

Yeah I prefer to use quinoa.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 20, 2018

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
IP68 4 lyfe, yo.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rice is really good at absorbing moisture, I'm not sure how that's an urban legend.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
use brown rice for performance gains

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

Rice is really good at absorbing moisture, I'm not sure how that's an urban legend.

Yes, but after a while people ascribed the repair to magical powers of rice specifically and not to it being a water absorber.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rastor posted:

Yes, but after a while people ascribed the repair to magical powers of rice specifically and not to it being a water absorber.

uh clearly it has an energy field aura with invisible phone healing crystals

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

logikv9 posted:

use brown rice for performance gains grains

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

Because it actually isn't "really good" and because if you leave your phone anywhere dry for a few days the water will evaporate/absorb into surroundings anyway and what's actually happening is that the rice simply acts as a way to stop you going "oh maybe it's fixed now" every two hours.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/14/9326035/can-rice-actually-save-your-wet-phone

http://www.gazelle.com/thehorn/2014/05/06/gazelles-guide-water-damage-truth-rice-galaxy-everything/

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
lol if you don't collect silica packs

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Stumpalitious posted:

Yeah I prefer to use quinoa.

Look at this plebian not using Italian farro

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tunga posted:

Because it actually isn't "really good" and because if you leave your phone anywhere dry for a few days the water will evaporate/absorb into surroundings anyway and what's actually happening is that the rice simply acts as a way to stop you going "oh maybe it's fixed now" every two hours.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/14/9326035/can-rice-actually-save-your-wet-phone

http://www.gazelle.com/thehorn/2014/05/06/gazelles-guide-water-damage-truth-rice-galaxy-everything/

Rice is moderately hygroscopic. Sure if you have a lab desiccator or a bunch of dessicant material then that's better, but hey it's still better than nothing

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
I used to have a huge bag of silica gel from hobby lobby that I used for drying out mushrooms until I got a dehydrator.

poo poo, on that note, I wonder if you could just stick the phone in a food dehydrator?

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
I've started seeing these pop up in our local grocery stores:

http://dryboxrescue.com/

I only know of one friends who used it and he said it worked perfectly.

Thinking of this thread, all I can picture is when you insert your phone, it just dumps it in a huge vat of rice. Organic of course (this *is* Austin, after all).

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

n.. posted:

I used to have a huge bag of silica gel from hobby lobby that I used for drying out mushrooms until I got a dehydrator.

poo poo, on that note, I wonder if you could just stick the phone in a food dehydrator?

Inspect Your Gadgets > The Android Thread - Phone Repair by Ron Popeil

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

If you don't want to wait as long, can you use minute rice?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

XIII posted:

If you don't want to wait as long, can you use minute rice?

Yeah, the minute rice adds a capability called Quick Dry.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So I got my sister a Moto G3 for her birthday cause she managed to kill the last phone I got her. Now she's annoyed that the phone doesn't have a notification LED.
Is there a way to, I don't know, flash the display regularly when theres a message waiting or something like that?
Just something for her to tell if theres a notification without touching the phone?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Shai-Hulud posted:

So I got my sister a Moto G3 for her birthday cause she managed to kill the last phone I got her. Now she's annoyed that the phone doesn't have a notification LED.
Is there a way to, I don't know, flash the display regularly when theres a message waiting or something like that?
Just something for her to tell if theres a notification without touching the phone?

Don't those still come with active display?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
edit: wait, DOES IT keep pulsing when there's a notification? That would explain why it turns on sometimes without physical provocation. I thought the accelerometer was just acting up.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 3, 2016

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

Yeah, the minute rice adds a capability called Quick Dry.

Is it Qualcomm compatible?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Shai-Hulud posted:

Tell your sister to gently caress off and that you're no longer getting her free phones?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Or maybe "If you want a god drat LED that much you can buy your own god drat phone"?

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

vyst posted:

Look at this plebian not using Italian farro

Hey I wasn't aware this was the iPhone thread, jeez.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

vyst posted:

Is it Qualcomm compatible?

Quick Dry 2.0 is not part of the USB C spec according to phone rice expert Uncle Benson.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Rice is moderately hygroscopic. Sure if you have a lab desiccator or a bunch of dessicant material then that's better, but hey it's still better than nothing
In that test it performed worse than leaving the phone in open air. It was, quite literally, not better than nothing. It also performed worse than a bunch of other things that people commonly have in their houses.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Whizbang posted:

Quick Dry 2.0 is not part of the USB C spec according to phone rice expert Uncle Benson.

:golfclap:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Shai-Hulud posted:

I don't know who thought no notification light was a good idea but they should get hit in the head with a shovel.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

LethalGeek posted:

I don't know who thought no notification light was a good idea but they should get hit in the head with a shovel.

I guess they killed it for Moto Display. Too bad it's still kinda wonky sometimes.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Unless I'm getting my models confused, this article says that it does have a notification light, but it can get turned off and there's no setting for it, but there is a widget:

http://www.androidcentral.com/how-fix-moto-g-notification-led

e: No, apparently I am getting my models confused.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
I have a problem getting the camera to focus on my Samsung Galaxy Alpha. It can focus, it just doesn't want to. It will actually focus very well on an object, but only for a second, then it goes back to blurry until I adjust the distance. It never focuses long enough to take the picture. Sometimes when I take a picture it will deliberately focus for the second before the picture is taken, just to show me how nice it would look if it wasn't blurry.

I have googled for solutions but most seem to be about the app crashing or always being blurry. How do I make my phone respect me?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Shai-Hulud posted:

Nope. Moto seem to want to kill off the LED. There is actually an LED under the speaker that can be changed to work like a notification light however you have to root and even then it only works if the phone is plugged in.

The Motorola's replacement is the active display which is cool when it works right. You can find it in the Moto app. The phone screen will come on when it receives notifications and also when its picked up initially.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

logikv9 posted:

use brown rice for performance gains

Yeah I noticed after a brown rice cycle that I was getting sick gains on my sunspider and androbench PRs

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

LethalGeek posted:

I actually thought my S7 didn't have one for the first week I had it, I had to go digging through the settings to turn it on since apparently it was off by default.

They must want us to use the always on display but when you turn that off it should enable the LED notification.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

What's the best way to backup app's data without root? I am sending in my S7 Edge for a replacement, and I want to backup the data from my silly phone games like Super Hexagon, Adventure Capitalist and One Finger Death punch so I won't need to start again. From googling everyone recommends Titanium Backup, but it requires root.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

BurritoJustice posted:

What's the best way to backup app's data without root? I am sending in my S7 Edge for a replacement, and I want to backup the data from my silly phone games like Super Hexagon, Adventure Capitalist and One Finger Death punch so I won't need to start again. From googling everyone recommends Titanium Backup, but it requires root.

If you have another Samsung, you can smartswitch over to that samsung so it copies the appdata.

Otherwise, uh... Does Samsung Keis still work?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Does anyone still get results with Helium?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Does anyone still get results with Helium?

It's a huge pain in the rear end to get working but I've had very good success with the transfer to PC feature.