Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

beergod posted:

Loving the screen. So huge.

Is there still no way to download files (From BitTorrent or elsewhere) directly to the iPad?

VLC player, but they'll have to go through a computer first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

beergod posted:

Loving the screen. So huge.

Is there still no way to download files (From BitTorrent or elsewhere) directly to the iPad?

Goodreader can do this, IIRC. Though your definition of "directly to" probably needs some adjustment for iOS.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
The Air 2 is significantly cheaper than the 9.7" pro, so assuming I have no interest in the pencil am I really missing out on that much by just getting the Air 2? Usage will be web browsing, Netflix, Hearthstone, kindle app, email and perhaps some other games if anything takes my fancy.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

The Air 2 is significantly cheaper than the 9.7" pro, so assuming I have no interest in the pencil am I really missing out on that much by just getting the Air 2? Usage will be web browsing, Netflix, Hearthstone, kindle app, email and perhaps some other games if anything takes my fancy.

Nope. Get the Air 2 if you think it meets your needs. It's still a really capable device and you'll probably have a great time.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Nope. Get the Air 2 if you think it meets your needs. It's still a really capable device and you'll probably have a great time.

Thanks.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
This dock/stand thing got announced a few days ago, apparently the smart connector is two way for power:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/base-ipad-pro-stand?wt.ac_id=global_news_base_2016

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

japtor posted:

This dock/stand thing got announced a few days ago, apparently the smart connector is two way for power:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/base-ipad-pro-stand?wt.ac_id=global_news_base_2016

Oh poo poo this is going to be amazing for my office.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I got the Air 2 recently and love it. Sounds like we have similar use cases. Highly recommend buying used as you can easily save $100-150

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
So what's the verdict from those of you that have a Pro 9.7? Is it worth 200$ more than the Air 2? I really like the idea of Pencil support and better speakers, but is the A9X really that good anecdotally? I just can't shake the feeling that the 2GB of ram is some planned obsolescence thing.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Is the 12.9" Pro more likely to stick to a November update cycle or follow the 9.7" and last a few months longer?

I can't help shake the feeling that if I buy one now I'll be kicking myself in 6 months because of some little updates that seem minor but make the daily experience nicer, such as a magnetic, wirelessly charging Pencil. Though hopefully they'd make that backwards compatible with the Smart Connector interface and have the magnets in the Pencil. ForceTouch would be nice too.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 11:38 on May 2, 2016

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Yeah A8X is still plenty amazing and recent history indicates the 2GB RAM limit will become a bottleneck way before the A8X becomes one.

If you ask me the Pro is the very first time where a current gen iDevice is rather uncompelling over a last gen one in terms of overall price/benefit, while on the other hand I won't even remotely think of saving $100 over for a 6 instead of a 6S.

Smets
Nov 4, 2009

BottleKnight posted:

So what's the verdict from those of you that have a Pro 9.7? Is it worth 200$ more than the Air 2? I really like the idea of Pencil support and better speakers, but is the A9X really that good anecdotally? I just can't shake the feeling that the 2GB of ram is some planned obsolescence thing.

I love it, but I'm an illustrator so having a super-portable digital sketchbook is a huge draw for me. I tried the larger Pro for a week and found it too cumbersome, but the 9.7" version is perfect. Performance has been great all-around, though I never really had problems with my previous Air 2 either.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Smets posted:

I love it, but I'm an illustrator so having a super-portable digital sketchbook is a huge draw for me. I tried the larger Pro for a week and found it too cumbersome, but the 9.7" version is perfect. Performance has been great all-around, though I never really had problems with my previous Air 2 either.
What are you using for drawing? Procreate? Can you post some examples of stuff you've done on the iPad? I've been trying to find a good sampling of illustrators who are using the Pro to help me decide if it's a good choice for me.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

neonnoodle posted:

What are you using for drawing? Procreate? Can you post some examples of stuff you've done on the iPad? I've been trying to find a good sampling of illustrators who are using the Pro to help me decide if it's a good choice for me.

Most of my artist friends who are painters and illustrators use either Procreate or Paper (or both) for sketchbook stuff. A couple of them use it with Astropad as a replacement (more in lieu of buying) Cintiq.

Smets
Nov 4, 2009

neonnoodle posted:

There are a lot of apps that I've tried, and most of them do a few things really well, but I've yet to find one app that checks every box. Here are some that I've tested out:

Procreate - Lots of good brush options and customization. Really nice for painterly-style drawings, but I'm more of a linework guy so it's not my favorite.

Paper - Very limited tools, but the ones there are fun to use. The inking is smooth and feels great. Has the option to organize your drawings into collections.

Noteshelf - This one seems designed more for notetaking, but the inking feels really nice and it's a good app for simple doodles and jotting down ideas. This is another one that lets you create separate "notebooks" to organize your pages, which I love. It's like carrying every paper sketchbook you want, all in one.

Medibang Paint - A free app that offers a decent level of brush customization. This one has the best pressure range I've found yet. You can easy go from razor-thin to thick bold lines in the same stroke.

Notes - The stock Notes app is a beautiful approximation of pencil on paper. You can two-finger swipe to move to a new "page" for sketching, which makes this a good app for quickly brainstorming ideas.

These are the main ones I've been playing with. I've only had the Pro for about a week now so I haven't had time to dig deep into any of these or draw anything worth showing. If anyone has thoughts about other drawing apps I'd love to hear them.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Procreate is the most useful app I've tried so far. Drawing is solid and fast - I've been able to create a few pens that match my pen & paper linework pretty closely and have got the hang of the gesture shortcuts. There is also real power in being able to set document sizes and export as layered PSDs. I've only had my Pro for a couple of weeks but already have a nice workflow going of throwing things back and forward between Procreate and Photoshop on my Mac and have used it for real-life work.

A few things. None of these are my best, but they were drawn to incredibly tight deadlines and the iPad let me skip all the scanning / cleaning stages:

(table markers for a wedding)

(editorial bits & pieces)

(this one was just mucking about with Pixelmator. I prefer Procreate)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfegEhzsU7A
I'm no animator but a band asked me to make a wee teaser for their upcoming album. I drew all the components on the Pro and assembled them together on my Mac. The Pencil is especially useful for making things 'boil' - just draw everything a few times over on different layers. I hope to try more animation stuff with it soon.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Great looking stuff! Considering the price cuts people have been posting, it might be worth it to get the 12.9 when it's on sale somewhere.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Is there a real concern that Apple/developers will stop supporting the 12.9 because of low sales or is it all speculation and hyperbole at this point?

I guess I don't really care because I love mine so much, but I'm just really surprised it hasn't caught fire yet. I used an SP3 as a tablet for over a year and theres just no comparison between the two (solely as used as a tablet). The Pro just blows it out of the water on everything you want in a tablet (battery life, ease of use, etc.).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

beergod posted:

Is there a real concern that Apple/developers will stop supporting the 12.9 because of low sales or is it all speculation and hyperbole at this point?

I guess I don't really care because I love mine so much, but I'm just really surprised it hasn't caught fire yet. I used an SP3 as a tablet for over a year and theres just no comparison between the two (solely as used as a tablet). The Pro just blows it out of the water on everything you want in a tablet (battery life, ease of use, etc.).

I keep seeing this pop up here from time to time. Where are you people seeing this?

With the 9.7, the only difference between the 12.9 and it is the screen size (from a programming perspective). I don't see any developer cutting it out of the loop without some technical hurdle involved, and screen scaling is a problem Apple has largely solved in Swift. The only real issue is making sure their UI assets scale correctly, and the X-code simulator is top-notch for quickly validating UI for the different screen sizes and resolutions.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Tenterhooks, you're a good drawer. :glomp:

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Is this the right place to ask about connecting an iPad Air to an Apple TV (3rd gen, model A1469), when the Apple TV isn't connected to the Internet? Everything I see online says that it should work, but I am having the damnedest time figuring this out. Apple even makes a point on their website about how you don't need a network connection to get AirPlay working.

Edit: there is even a section on the page (here) that says for peer-to-peer connections all you need is Bluetooth and wifi *enabled*. Just can't get the two devices to discover each other for some reason.

Edit again: looks like you need to eliminate all wireless connections on both the iPad and the Apple TV before peer-to-peer will work.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 3, 2016

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm heading out to the Apple Store later today to pick up an iPad with my educational discount since the refurb store doesn't have what I want. I'm most likely picking up an Air 2 64gb but I want to try out the 32gb 9.7 pro.

Are all the styluses crap for Air 2? I really like the idea of taking notes with a stylus or marking up PDFs. The major thing that attracts me to the Pro is the stylus but I don't know if that justifies the price.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Housh posted:

I'm heading out to the Apple Store later today to pick up an iPad with my educational discount since the refurb store doesn't have what I want. I'm most likely picking up an Air 2 64gb but I want to try out the 32gb 9.7 pro.

Are all the styluses crap for Air 2? I really like the idea of taking notes with a stylus or marking up PDFs. The major thing that attracts me to the Pro is the stylus but I don't know if that justifies the price.

If you're doing a lot of handwritten notes and/or PDF annotations, it more than justifies the price.

Before I got the Pro, I had a Air 2 with the Adonit Jot Touch. I thought it was the best thing ever, until I used the Pencil on the Pro. There's seriously nothing that compares to it.

However, if you're a student and absolutely can't afford it, I'd say pass on it. But if you can afford it, get it.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I just bought a 9.7" Pro with the silicon case and smart cover. The store was out of the stylus so I'm going to order it online. I just grabbed the smart cover because I didn't like the keyboard on the 9.7"

Are these cases good? I can still return the cases in 2 weeks according to the apple store guy. This is my first ipad.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It's no iPhone Brown Leather case but yeah they're good.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm really boring. I got space gray with charcoal gray covers. I wish you could get black stylus pens.

Edit: :chanpop: Awful app is awesome on an iPad

Housh fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 3, 2016

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I'm still happy with my tech21

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Housh posted:

I just bought a 9.7" Pro with the silicon case and smart cover. The store was out of the stylus so I'm going to order it online. I just grabbed the smart cover because I didn't like the keyboard on the 9.7"

Are these cases good? I can still return the cases in 2 weeks according to the apple store guy. This is my first ipad.
They're presumably fine...but if money is a concern you can get some decent enough cheap case on Amazon and use the savings towards the pencil.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Housh posted:

Get a sleeve and use the iPad nude instead.

It's the only way to feel Jony's sweet, sweet aluminum against your skin like so many metal caresses. Like Steve caressing you from beyond the grave.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It's the only way to feel Jony's sweet, sweet aluminum against your skin like so many metal caresses. Like Steve caressing you from beyond the grave.
Now that's loving sexy.

I'm already happy with the case. Can't wait to get a stylus but wish it was black and it would attach to the case in some way.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Housh posted:

Now that's loving sexy.

I'm already happy with the case. Can't wait to get a stylus but wish it was black and it would attach to the case in some way.

http://www.moxiware.com/products/apple-pencil-magnet

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Haha that solves both my gripes. Black magnet ordered!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I ordered that and I'm quite happy with it. It works well.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Just got an Air 1 after selling my iPad 2 eons ago for being too ugly.

What should I care about now?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

LODGE NORTH posted:

Just got an Air 1 after selling my iPad 2 eons ago for being too ugly.

What should I care about now?
Remorse for not spending more for an Air 2.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

japtor posted:

Remorse for not spending more for an Air 2.

Well, one was free.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

LODGE NORTH posted:

Well, one was free.
Parlay that into a cheap Air 2!

Otherwise uh, enjoy the retina screen and grab an ad blocker.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I don't really even know why I'd buy an iPad Air 2 let alone what to do with this one.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Can someone recommend a nice sleeve (not cover) for the 12.9?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

LODGE NORTH posted:

I don't really even know why I'd buy an iPad Air 2 let alone what to do with this one.

Then sell it I guess.