Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheTofuShop posted:

So...this may seem like a weird question, but what do you all do about Double Faced Cards in your cube?

I often play a lot with players on the newer side of mtg, and my Modern Peasant Cube is finally finished and in the process of being double sleeved (KMC Hyper Mattes and Perfect Fits), but I'm worried about people pulling out the cards to see the other side during a draft or what not.

Am I over thinking this whole thing, or is it best to clear sleeve them and give out checklists? I guess I could just get extra copies of the DFCs too, it's only peasant .

I put the checklist cards in the actual cube and leave the cards in a separate area, then when we do the drafting I put the cards in the middle so people can look at them and see what each card is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013

TheTofuShop posted:

So...this may seem like a weird question, but what do you all do about Double Faced Cards in your cube?

I often play a lot with players on the newer side of mtg, and my Modern Peasant Cube is finally finished and in the process of being double sleeved (KMC Hyper Mattes and Perfect Fits), but I'm worried about people pulling out the cards to see the other side during a draft or what not.

Am I over thinking this whole thing, or is it best to clear sleeve them and give out checklists? I guess I could just get extra copies of the DFCs too, it's only peasant .

I personally just have the cards double sleeved, and people indeed sometimes pull them out. It doesn't really matter to anyone in our drafts. I don't think it matters much if you have them pull them out or ask to see the second copy- either way you possibly tip people off that the card is in that pack. However, when people pull them out they can just cover the card with their hand, so I prefer that (plus my cube is not peasant, so getting doubles would be an expense).

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Yeah I just have the actual cards double sleeved and have never had an issue. Maybe with SoI adding more it will become apparent since before that I only ever had delver and huntmaster in. Though thing in the ice replaced delver so really it's just a couple more than before.

E: oh I guess garruk relentless too

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Double post ahoy! It's not my fault the thread moves so slowly but let's do something about that. We cubed tonight and I'm gonna make an effort to better document the decks we draft so here are some photos of cube decks. Draft was a 4 person burn draft and the cube is 470 unpowered but with some broken cards in it still. I'll start with my nuts deck:

3-0 and only dropped a game. It was Good. Some of that was due to insane luck like somehow having an opening hand with pestermite and kiki-jiki and sol ring two games in a row. Would've preferred some grindier games since I never saw thing in the ice and I was psyched to try it for the first time.

2-1 and this deck had some sweet plays. Recently added gary to give him a try and he did not disappoint. This was the deck I got my nuts draw twice in a row which is unfortunate since they could've been some spicy games. Also the interaction of bob and vampiric tutor had somehow never come up but it's an amusing one.

1-2, my friend who drafted this deck despaired a bit too late into the draft that he still had no idea what he was doing. Nevertheless he ended up with a serviceable w/g midrange/ramp thing and gave me my only game loss thanks to a quick natural order. Oh and some Thrun beats god do I hate that card.

0-3, this guy is pretty new to magic and cube is of course an insanely difficult format for newer players. So while this deck is certainly a bit of a pile he still managed to turn 3 an inkwell off of metalworker which is definitely cooler than anything I did this draft.

Cube! I hope to keep up with this for some good historical cube data but also because cube is the best so let's share more cube, eh?

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I need to get in the habit of photographing/documenting sick decks that I come across when cubing, whether my cube or otherwise. If only because I wish I had evidence of the incredible mono-G ramp/Eureka deck I ended up with last time I drafted a power cube. I took P1P1 Eureka and was richly rewarded for it with Channel, two Eldrazi titans, Prime Time, Woodfall Primus, plenty of ramp, etc.

Poor guy sitting next to me in the draft took P1P1 Sneak Attack and wondered why he wasn't getting passed any big dudes. Sorry, buddy!

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 1, 2016

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!

Pontius Pilate posted:

Cool and good post

This first deck, holy poo poo :captainpop:

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth
So I recently rediscovered this thread and totally agree we should share some more cube love! I'm working on a "jank rare" cube and could use some thoughts on balancing the mana curve and whether any cards stick out for being too powerful (or too weak). I'm shooting for a lower power level than even Legacy cube, with the ideal power level (and ideal card, really) being things like Meandering Towershell, Chronozoa, and Humble Defector. I was heartbroken that Goblin Kaboomist proved itself to be too weak for even this format :(

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KcdfZIyDUfO2JvSgQC0AH760wVLxhvJA-5tbNtpoKe4/edit?usp=sharing

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Moogs posted:

I was heartbroken that Goblin Kaboomist proved itself to be too weak for even this format

Could build around coin flipping a bit, and build in Krark's Thumb, Chance Encounter, Impulsive Maneuvers, and some other coin-flip outlets. Though to be fair, it's probably still terrible.

If you could put your cube up on cubetutor, it would be easier to look through (it has mouse-over card images and such). I'd be happy to do a couple of test drafts of it to see what a deck might look like.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Pontius Pilate posted:

Double post ahoy! It's not my fault the thread moves so slowly but let's do something about that. We cubed tonight and I'm gonna make an effort to better document the decks we draft so here are some photos of cube decks. Draft was a 4 person burn draft and the cube is 470 unpowered but with some broken cards in it still. I'll start with my nuts deck:

3-0 and only dropped a game. It was Good. Some of that was due to insane luck like somehow having an opening hand with pestermite and kiki-jiki and sol ring two games in a row. Would've preferred some grindier games since I never saw thing in the ice and I was psyched to try it for the first time.

Really, really unfair to have cards like Mana Drain and Sol Ring in unpowered lists. How do other decks compete with the one lucky player that gets to go: Turn one, land, sol ring, go :cool:.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Isn't Sol Ring generally regarded as more powerful than moxes in cubes?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah, sol ring is ridiculously busted.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah it's one of the few cards banned from my unpowered cube. The other being mind twist because my playgroup agreed that there is nothing fun about having to discard your whole hand.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

CompeAnansi posted:

Yeah it's one of the few cards banned from my unpowered cube. The other being mind twist because my playgroup agreed that there is nothing fun about having to discard your whole hand.

Calling Sol Ring unpowered is a bit of a stretch. The only reason it's not power 10 is because it was an uncommon instead of a rare.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

suicidesteve posted:

Calling Sol Ring unpowered is a bit of a stretch. The only reason it's not power 10 is because it was an uncommon instead of a rare.

That and they reprinted it a bunch and it's legal in edh for some reason.

We are all fully aware of how busted sol ring is but enjoy the opening a pack with black lotus moment and the stories it leads to. Turn one tinker is just good clean fun. We also have mana drain, mind twist, and other broken poo poo so usually most are doing dumb things. That said sol ring is on another level and I fully understand why it's usually excluded in unpowered lists but our group enjoys it and that's ultimately cube at the end of the day.

I've also attempted to get power from legitimate Chinese businessmen but three attempts have led to two refunds and me eating some dough. Anyone know a legit source for proxies? I wanna cast ancestral recall damnit and even collectors edition is pretty absurd these days. And then of course there's cards not even in CE like moat and tabernacle that are still stupidly expensive. Oh and we're still missing an underground sea sigh.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Pontius Pilate posted:

Oh and we're still missing an underground sea sigh.

Buy one of mine! :v:

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

suicidesteve posted:

Buy one of mine! :v:

How much! And remember it's going to a good cube home.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Spiderdrake posted:

I think Sol Ring is more powerful than Moxen (with the possible exception of Sapphire), full stop.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Elyv posted:

I think Sol Ring is more powerful than Moxen (with the possible exception of Sapphire), full stop.

The only card I'd take over Sol Ring is Contact from Below.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

Well I meant in vintage or any other format where your deck can contain both.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

suicidesteve posted:

I've never played with Contract from Below in cube. Do you basically just treat it as a draw 8 + exile one of your choice?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

CompeAnansi posted:

I've never played with Contract from Below in cube. Do you basically just treat it as a draw 8 + exile one of your choice?

No, I don't think anyone would actually put it in their cube. I just mean in a cube with every card ever or something the only card I'd take over Sol Ring is Contract.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

suicidesteve posted:

No, I don't think anyone would actually put it in their cube. I just mean in a cube with every card ever or something the only card I'd take over Sol Ring is Contract.

I take Power Play, Backup Plan or Double Stroke (sometimes) over Sol Ring in my cube. But those are conspiracies so they don't really count as power.

Pontius Pilate posted:

Anyone know a legit source for proxies? I wanna cast ancestral recall damnit and even collectors edition is pretty absurd these days.

Yeah. I paid $1100 for my collector's edition. You could always just use printer paper copies!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Conspiracies in a powered cube are kind of ridiculous, even the non rare ones. Double Stroke naming Lighting Bolt or god forbid, Ancestral Recall is a bit much.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Entropic posted:

Conspiracies in a powered cube are kind of ridiculous, even the non rare ones. Double Stroke naming Lighting Bolt or god forbid, Ancestral Recall is a bit much.

Temporarily put double stroke in my unpowered cube, mostly because I got a foil one.

Took it out after the first draft after someone cast blightning with it like 5 times to go x-0

Conspiracit's are awesome, but most of them are on the mox or better level. So I keep a sideboard of them and all power (including jack in the mox, blacker lotus, etc)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

logis posted:

Temporarily put double stroke in my unpowered cube, mostly because I got a foil one.

Took it out after the first draft after someone cast blightning with it like 5 times to go x-0

Conspiracit's are awesome, but most of them are on the mox or better level. So I keep a sideboard of them and all power (including jack in the mox, blacker lotus, etc)

The only conspiracy I have in my peasant cube is Unexpected Potential. Spending a draft pick on a free splash of another pick is actually sorta fair and doesn't break things too badly.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

My recent favorite Double Stroke targets are Mystic Confluence and Fiery Confluence. Other awesome notables have been Kolaghan's Command, Accumulated Knowledge (you can have 3 in a deck, in my cube), and as mentioned earlier, Blightning.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

suicidesteve posted:

I've played with it in my cube and as you might expect it's completely broken. It didn't last long.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Cubed over the weekend but only got photos of 3 out of the 5 decks. Better than nothing! I'll start with my esper artifacts that went 3-1:

Only match I lost was quite close; deck good. One game I managed to turn two add an ancient tomb to my island, play an engineered explosives, and tinker it away for a myr battlesphere. Next turn I played a tolarian academy and then a sundering titan. Scoop!
Friend playing b/w tokens also went 3-1:

He's the one who prevented me from sweeping the whole thing, bastard. Thoughtseize is good against me who would've thunk it.
Friend on jund went 2-2:

One of the players hadn't played magic in several years and had never cubed before, so as expected he didn't do too hot but still enjoyed himself so yay. Cube!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

aborn posted:

This first deck, holy poo poo :captainpop:

This motherfucker mops the floor with me regularly, and quite often with obnoxious tempo decks.

Edit: I should add that the last two times I drafted this cube, Pontius Pilate assembled the stripmine/crucible combo in at least half of our games. I'm hate-drafting either of those cards next time, if I see them.

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 9, 2016

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Pontius Pilate posted:

Cubed over the weekend but only got photos of 3 out of the 5 decks. Better than nothing! I'll start with my esper artifacts that went 3-1:

Only match I lost was quite close; deck good. One game I managed to turn two add an ancient tomb to my island, play an engineered explosives, and tinker it away for a myr battlesphere. Next turn I played a tolarian academy and then a sundering titan. Scoop!
Friend playing b/w tokens also went 3-1:

He's the one who prevented me from sweeping the whole thing, bastard. Thoughtseize is good against me who would've thunk it.
Friend on jund went 2-2:

One of the players hadn't played magic in several years and had never cubed before, so as expected he didn't do too hot but still enjoyed himself so yay. Cube!

Just going to point out again (this is the last time I promise) that persons with pieces of power won more games!

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Null1fy posted:

Just going to point out again (this is the last time I promise) that persons with pieces of power won more games!

I assume the mana vault in my deck is the piece of power? Does mana crypt count? Or the mind twist in the 2-2 deck?

Any cards from SoI that surprised people? There were some iffy cards like westvale abbey and skin invasion that I was flirting with but would love to hear some from the field reports.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Pontius Pilate posted:

I assume the mana vault in my deck is the piece of power? Does mana crypt count? Or the mind twist in the 2-2 deck?

Maybe any of them!

Pontius Pilate posted:

Any cards from SoI that surprised people? There were some iffy cards like westvale abbey and skin invasion that I was flirting with but would love to hear some from the field reports.

Cubed tonight. Figured I'd post similarly in the decks I saw. Had some new SoI cards perform well, including Avacyn, Abbey, Arlinn and Relentless Dead.

Mine was neat. Really enjoyed using Kolaghan's Command and Goblin Dark-Dwellers. Power is Mox Jet/Crystal (look it up), Time Walk and Library of Alexandria (if that counts). Not pictured was Immediate Action (on battlesphere) and Secrets of Paradise (on simulacrum).

Buddy's. Craterhoof was house. Arlinn's modes were always good and relevant. Also it was a 35 card deck -pretty rad.

Another buddy's. Abbey flipped a few times for him after pooping out various tokens.

Dude who has drafted my cube a few times. This was better than his previous times for sure. We still gave him poo poo for using Tolarian Academy with 1 artifact.

Another buddy's. he kind-of got hosed in that to the left of him my buddy with the Craterhoof deck snatched up all of the mana dorks. He needed a bit more acceleration. Still solid. He didn't see Duskwatch Recruiter to my knowledge. Power is Black Lotus / Mox Emerald.

Dude who has never drafted my cube before. Made some mistakes during draft passing some power but all the same, made a pretty darn good deck.

Dude who has maybe drafted my power cube once or twice. Deck looks solid - didn't watch him play it much.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>

Pontius Pilate posted:

I'm actually keen on seeing Abbey in a tokens-style deck and Relentless Dead in zombies. Also, Behold the Beyond or whatever it is seems pretty neat.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Null1fy posted:

Cubed tonight. Figured I'd post similarly in the decks I saw. Had some new SoI cards perform well, including Avacyn, Abbey, Arlinn and Relentless Dead.

Good looking cube thanks for sharing!

Man_alive posted:

I'm actually keen on seeing Abbey in a tokens-style deck and Relentless Dead in zombies. Also, Behold the Beyond or whatever it is seems pretty neat.

I was psyched for relentless dead since he seems good in aggro and braids/stax and the 2 drop slot in black was weak before SoI but I haven't opened one and last I checked they were still $10 despite not seeing standard play (I think)?

Tertiary Stresses
Jul 27, 2007
I'm hoping for some input on my cube. http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/14099 For background info, our playgroup is usually only 4 or 5 people. We tend to draft with 7 packs of 9 cards and then play multiplayer. The themes I've got are:

BUG - Self mill
GW - +1/+1 counters
GR - Ramp
R - Goblins
B - Zombies
Wbr - Tokens
BW - Lifegain
UR - Artifacts
WU - Spirits/Flying

The least played combinations are WB and RW. I'm not sure where I can go with these. Any help would be awesome.
I'm thinking about putting a second set of fetchlands in place of the temples, since they tend to go later in the pack.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Pretty decent beginner's guide to building a cube on the Mothership today: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/how-build/building-your-first-cube-2016-05-19

I also find it interesting that they're explicitly marketing Eternal Masters to cube managers.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Belated cube report from two weekends ago incoming, and it's complete with iffy photographs during a sunny afternoon!

First deck was esper artifacts and it did well but didn't sweep it somehow, especially when you consider the broken artifact mana:

This was me on R/u aggro and me also did well:

I ended up questioning my (fairly free) blue splash as I had the option to go more hyper-red aggro. Only Sol Ring will ever know.

Experienced cubee on b/w midrange/recurring. Who knows what the five drops were. Held up decently:

Fairly new magic player and even newer cuber whose decks do manage some hilarious plays. Unfortunately a lot of those didn't translate to wins:

Got some more from the past weekend which I'll try to get up soon. And we're hopefully getting some 100% Legitimate Power pretty soon.

Eternal Masters is looking p good for cubers so far. A lot of good cube reprints already and some fresh art; beta control magic versus foil terese nielsen control magic is a decision I just don't want to make. And for people who run cubes that allow rares we've already seen a good amount of reprints that are cubeable and not exactly affordable.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
It'll be nice to get affordable foils, or in some cases foils at all, of many cards. So far I'm looking forward to shiny: Enlightened Tutor, Shardless Agent, Baleful Strix, Force of Will, Chain Lightning, Sylvan Library (gently caress you Commander's Arsenal!), Vampiric Tutor, Mishra's Factory, Toxic Deluge, affordable Mana Crypt (relatively speaking).

I'd rather stick with the old art Sneak Attack, Top, Entomb, Vindicate, Counterspell. Undecided on Animate Dead, but I'll probably switch to the new shiny.

In actual play news, I just overhauled my list last week and made some huge changes. I cut back a lot on protection and shroud, as I found those led to many free wins if you got the right opponent. I also cut down the big blue stuff in favor of a few more support spells to spread around. The first cut, which prompted the whole thing, was Mind Twist. In my group's experience, it's just never a fun card, but we had a guy go turn 1 Ancient Tomb, Black Lotus, Dark Ritual, Mind Twist for 6, gg.

The new list: http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/4787

Also of note: up to 2/3 pimped out! I have another dozen or so foils on their way to me.

Last weekend we played with it and got some super fun games. I didn't think to snap photos, but one guy managed to pull off a great 4-color deck featuring Bitterblossom, Skullclamp, Kalitas, Sword of Fire and Ice, and Domri Rade. Another went UR Tempo, riding a Chandra, Pyromaster, to victory. I'm hoping to put another draft together this weekend and turn it into a regular thing.

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

BaronVonVaderham posted:

In actual play news, I just overhauled my list last week and made some huge changes. I cut back a lot on protection and shroud, as I found those led to many free wins if you got the right opponent. I also cut down the big blue stuff in favor of a few more support spells to spread around. The first cut, which prompted the whole thing, was Mind Twist. In my group's experience, it's just never a fun card, but we had a guy go turn 1 Ancient Tomb, Black Lotus, Dark Ritual, Mind Twist for 6, gg.

Your list is interesting. Seems like the dominant strategy is to go at least 3 colors, with all the fixing (especially the signets) and the high percentage of multicolored cards; is that what you've found?

Our group has found Bribery and Treachery only slightly less oppressive than Mind Twist, I cut those in a similar overhaul ages ago: http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/17507

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

No Friend of Gravity posted:

Your list is interesting. Seems like the dominant strategy is to go at least 3 colors, with all the fixing (especially the signets) and the high percentage of multicolored cards; is that what you've found?

Our group has found Bribery and Treachery only slightly less oppressive than Mind Twist, I cut those in a similar overhaul ages ago: http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/17507

Yeah it's EXTREMELY rare to be able to draft mono-colored decks. The norm is 2-color, but splashing a third is very common. You might get 1 guy per draft going solid three colors, or 4 or 5, but the most common scenario by far is 2 color splashing a third.

Bribery is hit or miss.....when you hit the guy playing Tooth and Nail and Emrakul, it's disgusting, but sometimes you cast it against the GR aggro player and just get a Bloodbraid Elf.

Treachery, however, is loving miserable at times. It's been on the chopping block for sure, but thus far there's been enough enchantment removal flying around to keep it in check. Or you just remove your own creature so they don't get to untap (countered for having no legal target) and it ruins their whole plan.

I wish I could balance the color pairs perfectly, but sadly for a 600 cube, there just aren't that many playable Boros cards :(

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 25, 2016