Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

PleasureKevin posted:

did you know like 90% of the workforce is employed by small businesses?

and more and more people aren't even employed by said business, they're just contractors responsible for their own machines entirely.

then in every level of enterprise, they're going towards BYOD

maybe you missed all that, but now you know.

If you pick some absurd definition of small business like "not in the Fortune 2000" or something.

Using terminology with fuzzy definitions is bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

gonna have to agree with Kevin here unfortunately

y'all are obsessed about whether a tree runs excel while the forest around it starts to burn. mainframes still exist, desktop wintel will still exist, it just won't be a thing normal people use

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

DuckConference posted:

gonna have to agree with Kevin here unfortunately

y'all are obsessed about whether a tree runs excel while the forest around it starts to burn. mainframes still exist, desktop wintel will still exist, it just won't be a thing normal people use

What we're laughing at is the Thurrott-Kevin Hypothesis, which seems to state "Desktop PCs will be eliminated by adding mice, keyboards, windowing systems, and user-accessible filesystems to mobile devices." ie, mobile devices will turn into desktop devices and we're right back to where we started.

Apr 7, 2003

"We will fix the problems of desktop computer by reinventing desktop computer, but with telephone linux!!" - A thing people in the past two pages think is going to change anything

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Citizen Tayne posted:

What we're laughing at is the Thurrott-Kevin Hypothesis, which seems to state "Desktop PCs will be eliminated by adding mice, keyboards, windowing systems, and user-accessible filesystems to mobile devices." ie, mobile devices will turn into desktop devices and we're right back to where we started.

oh well that would be stupid

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
the funny thing is, that is exactly where we're headed because everyone wants to "innovate" themselves off a cliff

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

DuckConference posted:

oh well that would be stupid

except i never said anything like that :ssh:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
all's I know is one of my company's products is basically a rdp session to a ts running my company's poorly aging fragile windows only software, and we constantly have people asking for us to allow ipads and phones to connect

(we do allow it but the software is barely usable on a real computer, gl trying to use it with a touch mouse)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Amethyst posted:

remember this guy

i do

he uses a Mac and iOS now

like he wanted to all along

(and like Gates is rumored to)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Citizen Tayne posted:

I can't wait to make powerpoint slides on my Nexus 7 - No one who actually has a job ever

yeah

but plenty of people already make Keynote slides on their iPad

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

lol at the mouse-cursor-but-on-my-smartphone line

just lol paul

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

univbee posted:

I half-expect part of the reason Cortana will only use Bing is because Microsoft controls the search results and can at least park the top results.

my fav bing moment was when app developers complained that their legitimate apps couldnt get proper rankings and microsoft shrugged and said they couldnt control the search results in their own application store

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

this is why microsoft is cool again

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
looks like he got owned for playing on a computer 24/7

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

it's good he got those critical security updates before becoming an infection vector

wait whatever happened to that hot update/reload win7 was supposed to have

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
e: whatever tablets are okay i guess

is there any data that shows kids dont use computers anymore since theyve all got tablets now?

AtomD fucked around with this message at 12:57 on May 4, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

given the fact that videogames continue to exist im gonna say no

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

LastInLine posted:

I don't think tablets will stop me any time soon.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
all im saying is why would kids play with lego when duplo is so much easier to use?

Apr 7, 2003

In a hosed up future world where the Thurrott-Kevin Hypothesis comes true, North Korea will send out propaganda photos of Kim Jong Un drawing up world domination plans on an iPad.

Apr 7, 2003

Instead of sitting down at a coffee shop and opening our laptops to get some work done, we will awkwardly prop up a tablet, plug a mouse and keyboard into it, and cry when our Rube Goldberg computing platform falls off the table.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

windows has done this since 7 if auto updates are on. it has a popup in the corner that tells you it's going to reboot, but the popup appears under whatever you are doing so you often don't notice it until whatever you are working on just disappears.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

the age of the average gamer has been over 30 for years, and I'm sure the Pc gamer portion of that is a bit on the long end of the curve. that's *including* mobile games

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

The_Franz posted:

windows has done this since 7 if auto updates are on. it has a popup in the corner that tells you it's going to reboot, but the popup appears under whatever you are doing so you often don't notice it until whatever you are working on just disappears.

you can't turn off automatic updates on windows 10.

Apr 7, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

the age of the average gamer has been over 30 for years, and I'm sure the Pc gamer portion of that is a bit on the long end of the curve. that's *including* mobile games

The age of the average gamer has been over 30 for as long as they've been measuring it (CGW did a survey in the eighties, PC Gamer in the 90s).

Graff
May 10, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

Instead of sitting down at a coffee shop and opening our laptops to get some work done, we will awkwardly prop up a tablet, plug a mouse and keyboard into it, and cry when our Rube Goldberg computing platform falls off the table.

actually seen surface user doing this. the future is now

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

The laptopability factor

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

"hi, i'm an idiot who didn't bother to change the update behavior and am angered when it does what it says on the tin!"

duTrieux. fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 4, 2016

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

duTrieux. posted:

"hi, i'm a retard idiot who didn't bother to change the update behavior and am angered when it does what it says on the tin!"

wow lol amazing what people defend

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

duTrieux. posted:

"hi, i'm a retard idiot who didn't bother to change the update behavior and am angered when it does what it says on the tin!"

http://www.redmondpie.com/disable-turn-off-automatic-updates-in-windows-10-heres-how/

this seems like a normal thing that normal people will understand

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

automatic updates are cool and good

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

duTrieux. posted:

its worse than that because the default behavior is to reboot when not in use. he probably changed it from automatic to prompt for reboot and then delayed reboot for like a week until it forced the issue on him.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Necc0 posted:

http://www.redmondpie.com/disable-turn-off-automatic-updates-in-windows-10-heres-how/

Method 2: Using Microsoft’s Tool

Sometimes a very specific Windows update or driver update can be shown to be causing problems. Troubleshooting these issues or rolling back to a working driver or version of whatever has been updated can be problematic. It’s an extremely handy feature to be able to prevent Windows 10 from installing specific updates where required.

Step 1: Download the “Show or hide updates” tool from Microsoft.

Wasn't this normally part of the OS?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

VideoGames posted:

this is why microsoft is cool again

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

it's probably trying to update at like 2am when he should be in bed anyways

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Pre-10 yes, but they're taking a scorched earth approach to make sure everyone is running the latest and "greatest"

Of course based on the IE numbers tanking this is backfiring hilariously

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Necc0 posted:

that article presents the most convoluted ways to get to the settings that they can find

here

1: Start
2: type "windows update"
3: "windows update settings" appears. click it.
5: click "advanced". change your settings

e: oh, the thing you linked was to turn off all updating instead of the rebooting. goalposts.

duTrieux. fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 4, 2016

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Shaggar posted:

its worse than that because the default behavior is to reboot when not in use. he probably changed it from automatic to prompt for reboot and then delayed reboot for like a week until it forced the issue on him.

dude must not have an ssd

even then just reboot the loving then when you get up to take a poo poo, god

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

wqindows 10 has a lot of problems but sure, let's focus on the digital equivalent of a kid's parent unplugging the nintendo and making them brush their teeth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

dude must not have an ssd

even then just reboot the loving then when you get up to take a poo poo, god

What makes you think he gets up to take a poo poo?

• Locked thread