Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Ayn Marx posted:

My pet peeve is being a French-speaker who has lived in anglophone countries for years and has no clue how to pronounce French words borrowed in English. Do I correct "Pain au chocolate" and sound like a try-hard? Do I try to ape the pronunciation people actually use and sound like I'm mocking them?

Unless you are very charismatic, correcting someone's pronunciation is 99% of the time going to come across as pretentious. Likewise, people who go to a pizza hut and start trying to say words like "mozzarella" or "prosciutto" with an exaggerated italian accent are going to get strange looks and most people will ask why you're talking so weird. In both cases you aren't wrong and it's perfectly fine to say it the right way, but just be aware that some people will just assume you're the francophile equivalent of a weeaboo if you do it a lot and aren't obviously French. Even then, who cares, as long as they know what you mean just say it the way it comes naturally to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Murphy Brownback posted:

Unless you are very charismatic, correcting someone's pronunciation is 99% of the time going to come across as pretentious. Likewise, people who go to a pizza hut and start trying to say words like "mozzarella" or "prosciutto" with an exaggerated italian accent are going to get strange looks and most people will ask why you're talking so weird. In both cases you aren't wrong and it's perfectly fine to say it the right way, but just be aware that some people will just assume you're the francophile equivalent of a weeaboo if you do it a lot and aren't obviously French. Even then, who cares, as long as they know what you mean just say it the way it comes naturally to you.

Ennuiaboo?

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Ah, yeah I didn't mean "tell them they are wrong", more like "Do I pronounce it the way they clearly expect if it sounds silly to me"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ayn Marx posted:

My pet peeve is being a French-speaker who has lived in anglophone countries for years and has no clue how to pronounce French words borrowed in English. Do I correct "Pain au chocolate" and sound like a try-hard? Do I try to ape the pronunciation people actually use and sound like I'm mocking them?
If it's something super common and well-assimilated like "déjà vu" then you say it the English way. If it's something that English-speakers still try to say the French way, say it the French way.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Pronounce things the way that comes naturally to you and don't so much as hint that you're aware that anyone pronounces them differently.

As with so many other things in life, confidence is more important than correctness.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Payne aww chuck lit

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
People who spit on the ground in public. It's just gross.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

:golfclap:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

This is perfect

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

artsy fartsy posted:

Every day I take my glasses out of their protective case and carefully wipe them down with the special cloth, then gingerly balance them on my face and sit perfectly upright and hold absolutely still and tuck my hands under my legs so that there's absolutely no loving way that I will touch my glasses at all.

In 20 minutes a giant smudge will appear.

I have a similar problem with my finger nails. They can become dirty almost immediately after cleaning them despite doing nothing that could dirty them. Meanwhile, everybody else seems to be immaculately clean. I might have to start taking my nail clippers to job interviews just in case :classiclol:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

When you get baked cheesecake rather than proper cheesecake.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

docbeard posted:

Pronounce things the way that comes naturally to you and don't so much as hint that you're aware that anyone pronounces them differently.

As with so many other things in life, confidence is more important than correctness.

Amen to loving that. I used to be a balloon twister and worked in restaurants; when Pokemon was first in the US, every drat kid wanted a Pokemon, so I made up a few very basic designs, and even if they barely looked like the right one, the kids would flip out because I got it close, and of course a little Q&A about which one would beat another always kept their attention.

Peeve: is it really so loving hard for every radio station NOT to play the same four loving songs in the same hour? They don't let us stream anymore at work, so it's the radio, and I think I hear "Seven Years" and "My House" about a dozen times a day.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

MisterBibs posted:

I've always treated the "red light cameras are just for making money" thing on the same level as someone assuming that a person who likes X is secretly a paid shill for X. Sure, yes, there are cases where it's true, but it's not enough to justify assuming it wholesale.

You hear about the dude kvetching about getting a ticket for a false positive, you don't hear from the people who ran a red light and got properly flagged. If it makes money off those people (or those too lazy to contest if they feel they were wronged), no skin off my rear end.

Red light cameras are absolutely a scam, the companies that make them bribed politicians to get them installed. And the technology is frequently faulty or even intentionally malicious.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

Amen to loving that. I used to be a balloon twister and worked in restaurants; when Pokemon was first in the US, every drat kid wanted a Pokemon, so I made up a few very basic designs, and even if they barely looked like the right one, the kids would flip out because I got it close, and of course a little Q&A about which one would beat another always kept their attention.

Peeve: is it really so loving hard for every radio station NOT to play the same four loving songs in the same hour? They don't let us stream anymore at work, so it's the radio, and I think I hear "Seven Years" and "My House" about a dozen times a day.

Some radio stations here actually advertise the fact that they have zero repeats over the 9 to 5 work day. Thank gently caress because I don't think I could stand listening to Seven Years even once a day, let alone 5 or 6.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Red light cameras are absolutely a scam, the companies that make them bribed politicians to get them installed. And the technology is frequently faulty or even intentionally malicious.

In :australia: (or at least in my state) the red light cameras are configured so that they don't activate until the light is already red so if you enter an intersection on an amber light you will not get fined. If you enter the intersection after the light is red you will get flashed and when you receive the fine in the mail it tells you how long the light was red before you entered the intersection. You can also view the photo of the incident which has two frames: when you first enter the intersection and (I think) a second later which will show whether you continued through the intersection or made an attempt to stop as well as if there were any extenuating circumstances like a traffic jam, accident, or emergency vehicle that may have compelled you to run a red light. There's also a process to make a written dispute and have your fine reviewed rather than going through the hassle of going to court to fight it. In my opinion it's a fair and transparent system and people still piss and moan about how it's a scam and just designed to make money for the police :shrug:

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Intoluene posted:

Some radio stations here actually advertise the fact that they have zero repeats over the 9 to 5 work day. Thank gently caress because I don't think I could stand listening to Seven Years even once a day, let alone 5 or 6.

Speaking of Seven Years, have pop musicians always been this goddamn whiny? Between this and the little weenie that took some drugs in Ibiza and is sad about his pathetic life, I want to shake these assholes and tell them to HTFU.

Any attempt at variety just means these radio stations speed up the songs and add some air horns randomly. How about playing a different song now and then?

Another radio station in a town I frequent boasts "all the hits...without the rap." What's wrong with rap? Sure, it's shallow and misogynistic, but its moral message isn't any worse than some sad sack who takes drugs and fucks randos to escape his drab life or some loser whose dad told him to get a wife at age 11 or he'll be lonely.

I guess stupid song lyrics are my pet peeve.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Teachers who don't like kids. If you don't like kids, gently caress off out of the business. There's a big difference between occasionally venting to friends about what a little poo poo so and so is, and calling someone who's proctoring tests for your students and ranting for ten minutes about how one of them is a bastard and the rest of them are garbage.

Actually I may just be downright pissed about this and less of a pet peeve but the point remains that if you don't like students why the gently caress are you teaching.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Intoluene posted:

The problem is they'll still play the same songs every day for a month. Oh, and if you listen to the breakfast show, the morning show, the afternoon show and the drive show, they'll absolutely repeat the most popular songs at least a couple of times, because they only guarantee no repeats during business hours.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Speaking of Seven Years, have pop musicians always been this goddamn whiny?
I guess you weren't listening to the radio much when Good Charlotte were popular?

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!
I've probably said this before and I will certainly say it again later but people who just can't seem to understand I may like things you don't like or vise versa.

I tried to sign up for some table top games, and the shop near where I live has a nice system. You sign up put a little blurb about what kind of games you wanna play and what systems you know or don't know.

I tried to sign up for some DnD but specified I didn't want to play third edition.

Then some asshat kept calling me to explain why I was wrong for not playing third. :negative:

He didn't even have a game he was running or apart of he called just to bitch because I didn't love his loving choice

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Tiggum posted:

The problem is they'll still play the same songs every day for a month. Oh, and if you listen to the breakfast show, the morning show, the afternoon show and the drive show, they'll absolutely repeat the most popular songs at least a couple of times, because they only guarantee no repeats during business hours.

I guess you weren't listening to the radio much when Good Charlotte were popular?

I guess screamy and angsty is a little bit more forgivable in my mind than mewling and pathetic.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Speaking of Seven Years, have pop musicians always been this goddamn whiny?

Seriously gently caress that guy, gently caress that song. "My woman brought children for me, so I could sing them all my songs and I could tell them stories" and "I made a man so happy when I wrote a letter once, I hope my children come and visit once or twice a month", are you making GBS threads me, what kind of fuckass entitled attitude is that to have towards your family? Go suck a dick, Lucas.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Nettles Coterie posted:

Seriously gently caress that guy, gently caress that song. "My woman brought children for me, so I could sing them all my songs and I could tell them stories" and "I made a man so happy when I wrote a letter once, I hope my children come and visit once or twice a month", are you making GBS threads me, what kind of fuckass entitled attitude is that to have towards your family? Go suck a dick, Lucas.

I had permanent stank-face when I got to "once I was eleven years old, my daddy told me 'go get yourself a wife or you'll be lonely.'" WHO SAYS THAT TO A CHILD.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Tendai posted:

Teachers who don't like kids. If you don't like kids, gently caress off out of the business. There's a big difference between occasionally venting to friends about what a little poo poo so and so is, and calling someone who's proctoring tests for your students and ranting for ten minutes about how one of them is a bastard and the rest of them are garbage.

Actually I may just be downright pissed about this and less of a pet peeve but the point remains that if you don't like students why the gently caress are you teaching.

I work in an academic library with 5 librarians who have faculty status and are tenured or up for tenure, and none of them do any research or scholarship or show any interest in learning new things or show any intellectual interest in ANYTHING, and worse, actively and openly resist doing so, saying it's a waste of time and they don't care. When that's their job. Because they're faculty librarians. Who don't give a poo poo about the things that faculty librarians do. WHY ARE YOU IN THIS FIELD THEN. gently caress.

Meanwhile, I've been a staff person for 8 years and have had my MLIS for 8 years and would kill for their jobs -- and I'm writing an article, pursuing scholarship, attending conferences, leading conference presentations, conducting reference interviews, creating resource guides, etc. -- but I can't get a job as a professional librarian because I "don't have any professional experience". :holy:

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Howdy librarian buddy. I've been there as a cataloger. No matter how many people and projects you manage, you don't have management experience. Write theory, demonstrate ability, no professional experience.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Sir PigglyWiggly posted:

I've probably said this before and I will certainly say it again later but people who just can't seem to understand I may like things you don't like or vise versa.

Oh god yes. I don't like GoT but the guy I sit by at work is a huge nerd so naturally it's his favorite thing ever. I don't think I've gone like 3 days without him saying some variation of "how could you not like it!? it's the best!!!" Especially since the new season started.

Like fuckoff dude I tried and just can't get into it.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

When books on Amazon rather than just have the title in the title they have a run on sentence saying how the book is thrilling or gripping (or both.) It makes me instinctively disregard any book like that, although after looking at the books it is probably for the best.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
"May the fourth be with you" posts on facebook.

Also people who keep trying to make the "drump+f" thing happen. It's not funny, just stop. Wear your stupid hat with it on if you want but it's really not necessary to post "make donald drump+f again" on literally every single trump-related post your friends post.

e: the SA word filter has the right idea

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Tendai posted:

When I have gotten to know these people, half the time they love kids, but the problem is that they have this vision of a kid who will sit in rapt awe of them and their idea of what a good lesson or lecture is. Of course this is not the reality of teaching and so these folks get bitter. It's not me, it's the kids and their good for nothing parents.

Still awful, and should still get the gently caress out in my opinion.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

bradzilla posted:

Oh god yes. I don't like GoT but the guy I sit by at work is a huge nerd so naturally it's his favorite thing ever. I don't think I've gone like 3 days without him saying some variation of "how could you not like it!? it's the best!!!" Especially since the new season started.

Like fuckoff dude I tried and just can't get into it.

I love that show and I always loved the books but I 100% understand how someone could not get into it. Like, the entire series is objectively boring and they had to invent an entire genre of exposition where someone engages in soliloquy while people gently caress in the background (I call it "sexposition") because otherwise its like reading someone's family bible, but with swords.

Murphy Brownback posted:

"May the fourth be with you" posts on facebook.

Related, people who craft their entire personality around being aggressively quirky and nerdy are the worst. I'm not even sure how to describe it, but you know those people who buy a lot of Batman merchandise and say "May the Fourth be with you" or just outright say, "I'm a huge nerd!" just bug the crap out of me. Like, I know actual nerds. You're not a nerd because you watched an episode of Star Trek once and didn't want to actively die.

Also: drumpf, because I need to see what that word filter does.

e: HA

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

lmao

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

cash crab posted:

Related, people who craft their entire personality around being aggressively quirky and nerdy are the worst. I'm not even sure how to describe it, but you know those people who buy a lot of Batman merchandise and say "May the Fourth be with you" or just outright say, "I'm a huge nerd!" just bug the crap out of me. Like, I know actual nerds. You're not a nerd because you watched an episode of Star Trek once and didn't want to actively die.

I bartended a nerd wedding once. The wedding cake looked like a stack of books, including Doctor Who and Game of Thrones. They had a drat TARDIS in the reception hall, right beside the bar that obscured my view of the guests (didn't matter; turns out nerds are not super drinkers).

The groomsmen, of course, had to wear top hats, canes, white gloves (but were not properly groomed). The first dance with the newly-married couple had them do some stupid flourishes: best way I can describe it is they'd open up to face the guests, and then back to each other. I'm not sure what it's called.

At least the bridesmaids were (for the most part) decently dressed and actually attractive (I see a lot of local townie trailer trash weddings) in their... TARDIS-blue dresses.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Tendai posted:

Because the kids crush your ability to care. You start out caring, but after a decade they smother that spark, and you just wish they'd all go away.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

cash crab posted:

These people are why I'm in favor of more bullying at school, not less. I saw a Buzzfeed quiz yesterday that was "This Shockingly Accurate Harry Potter Quiz Will Determine Which Pair of Houses You Belong In." There are only four loving houses in the first place! And in the book they totally walked back on the sorting thing with "well, you wanted to go to Gryffindor more so I just put you in that one." Those kids would be better off with a loving Myers Briggs test. I can't even publicly admit to enjoying Harry Potter for fear of a bunch of recreational Quidditch players rambling at me.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
loving meetings.

I'm a lawyer, and a fellow lawyer passed on a contract that she had negotiated before her departure. There are some finance issues that finance is working on, and do not concern legal. Finance did some MAJOR edits to the doc and has been agonizing over some very simple questions we asked.

So yesterday I got pulled into a con call to discuss why certain terms won't work for finance. I don't care, I said, these are not legal terms and you're the financial expert, so you change what you want as long as you don't touch the legal stuff.

So this morning we are having ANOTHER meeting to discuss the same edits and why they need to be changed to fit our business model, despite the fact that I just told her yesterday (and have told her before) that legal doesn't care about the financial edits as long as they leave the legal stuff alone.

This loving thing was done a month ago, but finance wants us to start from scratch on all this stuff, which would be fine except no one can actually DO the edits because we're all in meetings all day beating our dicks about terms only one person cares about.

I already told you to make the changes you want! Make them and send them to me with comments! I will accept them! You don't need to explain them to me! I don't care! If I cared, I would be in finance, and not legal!

I've seen this woman's calendar. She has to literally schedule time on it for her commute because she crams it full of meetings. I really don't know how she manages to get a single thing done. She could maybe relax a bit if we didn't have to have an hour-long meeting every couple of days to discuss the same things.

What world do we live in where the lawyers are the most relaxed people in the company?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

cyberia posted:

In :australia: (or at least in my state) the red light cameras are configured so that they don't activate until the light is already red so if you enter an intersection on an amber light you will not get fined. If you enter the intersection after the light is red you will get flashed and when you receive the fine in the mail it tells you how long the light was red before you entered the intersection. You can also view the photo of the incident which has two frames: when you first enter the intersection and (I think) a second later which will show whether you continued through the intersection or made an attempt to stop as well as if there were any extenuating circumstances like a traffic jam, accident, or emergency vehicle that may have compelled you to run a red light. There's also a process to make a written dispute and have your fine reviewed rather than going through the hassle of going to court to fight it. In my opinion it's a fair and transparent system and people still piss and moan about how it's a scam and just designed to make money for the police :shrug:

Even if the camera only fires when you enter on red, that still doesn't change the fact that intersections with red light cameras installed almost universally cut down yellow light times leading to far more accidents. The one near my old house changed the yellow light time to 1.3 seconds on a busy 45 mph road, which caused a ton of pile ups until the state got sued to remove it because they're blatantly a scam despite what just-world-fallacious retards like you think.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Ryoshi posted:

Even if the camera only fires when you enter on red, that still doesn't change the fact that intersections with red light cameras installed almost universally cut down yellow light times leading to far more accidents. The one near my old house changed the yellow light time to 1.3 seconds on a busy 45 mph road, which caused a ton of pile ups until the state got sued to remove it because they're blatantly a scam despite what just-world-fallacious retards like you think.

While this may be true, the cameras aren't causing the accidents, stupid people following too close or running lights are causing the accidents. It's not the camera's fault that people are clueless morons, despite what retards like YOU think.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:

Henchman of Santa posted:

These people are why I'm in favor of more bullying at school, not less. I saw a Buzzfeed quiz yesterday that was "This Shockingly Accurate Harry Potter Quiz Will Determine Which Pair of Houses You Belong In." There are only four loving houses in the first place! And in the book they totally walked back on the sorting thing with "well, you wanted to go to Gryffindor more so I just put you in that one." Those kids would be better off with a loving Myers Briggs test. I can't even publicly admit to enjoying Harry Potter for fear of a bunch of recreational Quidditch players rambling at me.

So... So your solution is to have people bullied more. Ok.

My peeve's probably all the shitheads who think violence and torment make society better because fear and abuse create well-rounded individuals like in "the good ol' days".

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Vic Boss posted:

So... So your solution is to have people bullied more. Ok.

My peeve's probably all the shitheads who think violence and torment make society better because fear and abuse create well-rounded individuals like in "the good ol' days".

It's a joke, you goony goon. I'm just saying I now understand why someone would want to shove dorks into a locker or give them a swirly.

Yes, all of my notions of bullying are from tv and movies.

Henchman of Santa has a new favorite as of 18:50 on May 4, 2016

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Maggie Fletcher posted:

loving meetings.

Relatedly, coworkers who insist of talking every little thing out instead of sending a Slack/Hipchat message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ozz81 posted:

While this may be true, the cameras aren't causing the accidents, stupid people following too close or running lights are causing the accidents. It's not the camera's fault that people are clueless morons, despite what retards like YOU think.

If a large-scale change (in this case the shorter yellow lights I guess) results in a bad outcome, it is stupid and pointless to think saying "well people shouldn't have been dumb" does anything to solve the issue. Do you believe that if you say this enough people will magically start driving better? We should solve problems while taking into account the way people actually do drive, mistakes and stupidity included.