Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Airbrush chat!

I painted some boat bits yesterday with an airbrush (Badger Patriot). I primed first with Vallejo Air grey primer, and then sprayed Vallejo Air "US Blue Grey".

Pretty exciting painting eh? :v:

Edit: What a crappy first post on a new page. Oh well, at least it has a crappy picture!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My blue building is coming along. People told me to wrap the trim all around the building, not just the fronts and backs so I made some new sections. Also got the window frames and doors in. It's coming along!

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Okay, stupid question time. I recently picked up the Revell 1/720 USS Nimitz, and the instructions have you mix up a batch of paint(two shades of grey, Revell's own 57 and 76 in a 60/40 balance if I recall correctly) for pretty much the entire hull. Due to it being pretty large and me being stuck with using a brush, I'm worried that I'll either mix up a batch and discover I don't have enough, or that I somehow miss a (crucial) spot and end up having to re-do just that(or have to do touchups). Because both mean I'll have to mix up more there's a chance of color differences.

Is there anything like a chart where I could look up the end results of mixing up two paints and get a close enough match with other brands of paint? I haven't started yet so there's enough options for it. Also, I kinda dislike mixing up paints because of the aforementioned issues having come up once or twice.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Nebakenezzer posted:

We are all this kid.

I've also started building a new tiny tank. 1/72 Leo 2! It has the giant turret - like if Donald Trump thought the size of the turret equated deadliness, the turret would be bigger, but only a little.

Pretty sure that voice is none other than Billy Dee Williams.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Smoke posted:

Okay, stupid question time. I recently picked up the Revell 1/720 USS Nimitz, and the instructions have you mix up a batch of paint(two shades of grey, Revell's own 57 and 76 in a 60/40 balance if I recall correctly) for pretty much the entire hull. Due to it being pretty large and me being stuck with using a brush, I'm worried that I'll either mix up a batch and discover I don't have enough, or that I somehow miss a (crucial) spot and end up having to re-do just that(or have to do touchups). Because both mean I'll have to mix up more there's a chance of color differences.

Is there anything like a chart where I could look up the end results of mixing up two paints and get a close enough match with other brands of paint? I haven't started yet so there's enough options for it. Also, I kinda dislike mixing up paints because of the aforementioned issues having come up once or twice.

If you want to avoid mixing altogether, look for paint that matches FS (Federal Standard) 26270, which is Navy "Haze Gray". I do know that Testors Neutral Gray is 36270 (source: I have a bottle on my desk) which is the same color, but in a satin finish vs. the flat 26270.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Smoke posted:

I wouldn't worry about little variations when you do touchups on things like that- ships are pretty big, and as long as you blend the paint consistently it won't be very noticeable.

Rather than trying to match the paint blend, I would try to match the actual USN color. Unfortunately, modern USN paints aren't as well documented as WWII era paints, but 5-H Haze Gray is very close to what the modern USN uses for the hull color of...well, drat near everything. The flight deck would be something close to Tamiya XF-63 or Model Masters engine gray. You will have to give the flight deck some kind of wash, though, because the colors on the deck in real life vary quite a bit, especially around the catapults and the arrestor wires, where landing gear tires are leaving rubber skidmarks behind.

EDIT: One other thing to note is that the scale of a model does have a little effect on how many people perceive the color, so it's pretty common to use shades that are actually slightly lighter than the real thing. When I painted my Bogue (earlier in this thread) I used light ghost gray instead of haze gray because it gets the actual look of USN Measure 22 camouflage better than using actual haze gray would at the 1/700 scale. The bottom line of this is don't worry too much about getting the exact shade of gray right, because it's more important that it looks right.

Triggerhappypilot fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 3, 2016

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva
That does help a lot. I checked the instructions again for the flight deck color, which according to Revell should be their own #74 Gunship Grey(FS36118), which appears to be a somewhat different tint.

As for the hull, according to what I can find(paint4models.com's chart) they have FS36270 as #374, so I could use that as well and then coat it with a matte clear finish.

Gonna try the mixing first though, I have to use this big set of disposable pipettes I bought a while back anyway.

Gonna see if I can pick up some stuff to practice washes with as well, so far everything I've built has been in pristine fresh off the assembly line colors.

EDIT: as an example of my laziness with paint mixing, here's the Revell USS Intrepid(1944) I finally finished a few months ago, using Revell Lufthansa Blue, Light Grey, Medium Grey and Black(couldn't be bothered to mix up three of the four colors) Only used masking tape for the line on the hull.

Smoke fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 3, 2016

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

The Locator posted:

Edit: What a crappy first post on a new page. Oh well, at least it has a crappy picture!

:v:

Your photos load if I open them up in a new tab, the embedded ones never work on this browser for some reason. It just worked out to be especially funny this time.

Dropped my airbrush cap the other day. It vanished into the carpet, 20 minutes of searching has yielded nothing so far. 'spensive bit of metal once you factor shipping in...

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

PirateDentist posted:

Your photos load if I open them up in a new tab, the embedded ones never work on this browser for some reason. It just worked out to be especially funny this time.

Dropped my airbrush cap the other day. It vanished into the carpet, 20 minutes of searching has yielded nothing so far. 'spensive bit of metal once you factor shipping in...

Try a magnet?

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

SyHopeful posted:

Try a magnet?

Gave that a shot a few minutes in, no dice. Also seems the rest of an HP-CS other than the needle is fairly non-magnetic.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Part 5 of my Panzer IV Ausf G build along is complete and available. Questions and comments are always welcome.

Not to spoil the ending, but...

We're getting pretty close. :)

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
That colour variant thing is awful. I have the PzII kit that has light gray track links for one side and dark gray track links for the other. I can't tell the difference :(

One suggestion: make the crewman hold a canteen with the cap off so it looks like he's in between sips as opposed to just holding it on the roof for no reason.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I dive into more detail on the tracks in the next part of the blog. Yes, Dragon could've spared a little extra dye to make things a little clearer. As to the crewman, I'm not sure what he'll be holding yet. The canteen was just a proof of concept. If It looked unnatural with something (anything) in his hand during testing, I'd have just sealed up the turret hatches. I might craft a 1/35 Big Mac and put that in his hand. Does Vallejo have a Ketchup color equivalent?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

PirateDentist posted:

Strange, wonder why that is. They are privately hosted on my own server, and it's just a Unix box where I drop them in a sub-directory and directly link to them with the bbcode timg tag.

My build has come to a temporary halt, as I realized that some of the bulkheads and decks have instructions to 'scribe' lines into them to fake the planking. gently caress that noise, it needs real planks, not scribed lines. Unfortunately, my wood supplier is closed for two weeks to catch up on orders and re-make his web site, so it will be at least 3 weeks or maybe 4 before I can get the thin wood I need to plank the bulkheads and decks, and those are what I need to do next in order to proceed.

Completely my fault for not studying ahead properly to plan this out.

On the other hand, I have my semi-scratch build stuff coming, so maybe I can start that. It's been in San Francisco since last Thursday according to tracking, so who knows when I'll get it. It's from Australia, but the country of origin for everything in the package is the United States, so maybe that has the customs guys all confused.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 4, 2016

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

PirateDentist posted:

Get a flashlight, turn off the lights, and then lay on the floor with your head turned to one side and get your eye as close to level with the surface of the floor as possible. Sweep the flashlight slowly over the floor and look for the cap to glint.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So tonight was a meeting of the Phoenix IPMS group, and I actually took a few pictures. Mostly all of this amazing 1/350 model of the Nagato. It was just stunning how well done it was and how much detail was added. Also a pretty cool mech-thing that had a fantastic paint job. I did not have my camera, so cell phone pics...

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The Locator posted:

Strange, wonder why that is. They are privately hosted on my own server, and it's just a Unix box where I drop them in a sub-directory and directly link to them with the bbcode timg tag.

The server may be configured to disallow remote linking of images. Less likely, but there may be a referrer issue where it doesn't like the SA servers, or cloud servers where SA is hosted.

EDIT: Just tested it on three other forums, and all allowed your images to displayed inline. So it seems to be an issues specifically with SA or SA's hosting that your server is having issue with.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Gewehr 43 posted:

Part 5 of my Panzer IV Ausf G build along is complete and available. Questions and comments are always welcome.

Not to spoil the ending, but...

We're getting pretty close. :)

Nice. I'm curious, won't the sides of the tank be difficult to paint if the schürzen are attached before painting?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The host must support https

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Gewehr 43 posted:

Does Vallejo have a Ketchup color equivalent?

Carmine Red (70.908) would be good, but for a Big Mac, what you really want is Light Flesh (70.928) for the special sauce.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Colonial Air Force posted:

what you really want is Light Flesh (70.928) for the special sauce.

Pretty sure you shouldn't be posting McDonald's trade secrets here

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Locator posted:

So tonight was a meeting of the Phoenix IPMS group, and I actually took a few pictures. Mostly all of this amazing 1/350 model of the Nagato. It was just stunning how well done it was and how much detail was added. Also a pretty cool mech-thing that had a fantastic paint job. I did not have my camera, so cell phone pics...

That battleship reminded me of when I got to tour the Mikasa in Japan a couple years ago. Although, to hear the tour guide say it, the ship was dismantled due to Russia still being angry about losing to it in the Russo-Japanese War (it was a ridiculous upset when comparing naval forces at the time).

Also, apparently ~50% of the parts in the current version are not original so it doesn't qualify for some international historical artifact category or something. You can tell I'm not well-versed in this stuff. :v: It's a real cool ship, though.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The server may be configured to disallow remote linking of images. Less likely, but there may be a referrer issue where it doesn't like the SA servers, or cloud servers where SA is hosted.

EDIT: Just tested it on three other forums, and all allowed your images to displayed inline. So it seems to be an issues specifically with SA or SA's hosting that your server is having issue with.

No idea what to check. They display inline just fine for me, and I'm using Cox as an ISP, and my server is remotely hosted by a company completely unrelated to Cox, so it's not like I'm hitting them any differently than any other person on Cox as an ISP would be.This is the first I've ever heard from anyone that they don't display properly here.

Kibner posted:

That battleship reminded me of when I got to tour the Mikasa in Japan a couple years ago. Although, to hear the tour guide say it, the ship was dismantled due to Russia still being angry about losing to it in the Russo-Japanese War (it was a ridiculous upset when comparing naval forces at the time).

Also, apparently ~50% of the parts in the current version are not original so it doesn't qualify for some international historical artifact category or something. You can tell I'm not well-versed in this stuff. :v: It's a real cool ship, though.

The Nagato was laid down during WWI (1917 I think), and massively upgraded for WWII, so maybe that's got something to do with it? Dunno.

The model was built representing the reception of Admiral Yamato prior to sailing for the attack on Pearl Harbor, the boat that is just pulling away has delivered the Admiral who has just been piped aboard, that's why the band and sailors along the rail.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 4, 2016

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

TTerrible posted:

The host must support https

Just saw this. Hrmm.. I will have to look into that, although I use "HTTPS Always" or something on my browser and I am able to see the images inline with no problem.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Locator posted:

The Nagato was laid down during WWI (1917 I think), and massively upgraded for WWII, so maybe that's got something to do with it? Dunno.

No, it was because when the ship was decommissioned, it was also forced to be stripped. An American admiral (I think?) was able to convince the Russians to be satisfied with the Mikasa being dismantled as opposed to being completely destroyed. This was done out of respect to the ship's original Admiral Tōgō Heihachirō.

Decades later, Admiral Chester Nimitz was visiting Japan when he saw the huge piles of ship parts on the shore and asked what it was. Upon finding out what ship it used to be, he started a joint venture with some Japanese heritage(?) organization to restore the ship. Again, out of respect for Admiral Togo. A lot of the parts had been destroyed due to weather and disuse during that timeframe, however, which is why they were only able to use about 50% of the parts.

I probably got a bunch of stuff wrong, but this looks very similar to what I was told on the tour: http://japan.stripes.com/travel/century-old-battleship-offers-rare-peek-history

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Very interesting. I obviously don't know enough about Japanese history!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Locator posted:

Very interesting. I obviously don't know enough about Japanese history!

I knew just about nothing, as well, before my trip. Now I know just a tiny, tiny bit! One of the friends I went with is a naval history buff and that boat tour was probably his highlight of the trip.

Mine was watching a full day of sumo. :v:

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

lilljonas posted:

Nice. I'm curious, won't the sides of the tank be difficult to paint if the schürzen are attached before painting?

The schürzen are not permanently attached and likely never will be. They actually sit really securely without any kind of adhesive.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Carmine Red (70.908) would be good, but for a Big Mac, what you really want is Light Flesh (70.928) for the special sauce.

:golfclap:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So my package from the upside-down land of Australia arrived today.

In theory, I'm supposed to turn this into a 1/48 scale cutter, the HMS Cheerful. Should be interesting.

The laser-cut parts are to assemble the bulkheads and keel. Everything after that gets made of those sheets of wood (they are various thicknesses, and 3" x 24" in size) and wood strips. I may have to get a scroll saw (also possibly have my head examined).

This stuff has made quite a journey, as both the company making the plans and the laser-cut pieces, and the company that milled all the wood sheets and strips are in New Jersey USA, so this all started there, went to a place in Australia outside of Melbourne, and then was sold and shipped to me in Arizona.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't know what's up with the internet but none of the pictures you post in this thread are loading.
Oh, I see this has already been mentioned. Right click open works.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

I don't know what's up with the internet but none of the pictures you post in this thread are loading.
Oh, I see this has already been mentioned. Right click open works.

Yea, looks like SA is now requiring that https be supported. If I try loading the images with a direct https link they time out, but a direct http link works. I'll have to see if I can get https support on the server somehow.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

The Locator posted:

Yea, looks like SA is now requiring that https be supported. If I try loading the images with a direct https link they time out, but a direct http link works. I'll have to see if I can get https support on the server somehow.

According to my hosting company, the way it's acting means that my server needs an SSL to get around this, and I'm not going to pay for that. I guess I'll just start using a photo-hosting site for now instead of hosting them myself, which is kind of a bummer, because it was sure nice and convenient to just FTP everything up to my server instead of dealing with a constantly changing web interface of the image hosting sites that think they need to keep 'upgrading' things.

Oh well.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
Funny because your pics all work fine for me, but I'm on an iPad that has issues with big gifs and other things from time to time. But I've never had problems with most pics posted (except to say that there should always be more)

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Rotten Cookies posted:

I got my own version of a crap car (truck, really) and I want to Mad Maximize it. I'm hoping that me posting in this thread will inspire me to actually finish it sorta. I think it's a good opportunity to try out some weathering techniques, and to have some fun just adding weird/cool/dangerous poo poo to a model. If it looks bad, hey, whatever, a raider put it together in the wastelands.

It was this, if you're wondering

I worked on my Mad Max truck and tried out the airbrush/salt rust effect. Turned out pretty good, but the rust coat doesn't look mottled enough. Still getting kind of used to using an airbrush. I don't really recall seeing any rust like this in the movies. It's a very northeast US style of rust, which I guess works for the plow truck thing. I got some small pieces of scrap sheet metal I'm gonna use to add some armor panels and stuff. Some spikes/blades to the plow. Should be fun.

Anybody ever do some tipsy-modeling and spray their airbrush with the cap on the front? :downs:

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 5, 2016

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva
Hey guys, look what I found earlier this week!

I didn't even know it was still available in stores, I was just aware of its existence.

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005

Smoke posted:

Hey guys, look what I found earlier this week!

I didn't even know it was still available in stores, I was just aware of its existence.

I have the 1/48th of that, I love that it was speculative modelling of what the stealth fighter might look like. Still needing to find a few more of the big size for a diorama :)

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Dr. Phildo posted:

Funny because your pics all work fine for me, but I'm on an iPad that has issues with big gifs and other things from time to time. But I've never had problems with most pics posted (except to say that there should always be more)

Yeah weird, the pics worked on my iPad but not when I'm using a browser.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Epi Lepi posted:

Yeah weird, the pics worked on my iPad but not when I'm using a browser.

I'm somewhat at a loss to what's doing it, since I see them fine on my PC in Chrome, and the host server isn't actually connected to me at all, so the fact that they are my images shouldn't matter at all for my ability to view them.

Someone in AI just posted that he can't see any inline images in a thread today, but see's them fine in quoted replies, and none of those images are mine, so something strange is going on with SA I think.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Tiglath III posted:

I have the 1/48th of that, I love that it was speculative modelling of what the stealth fighter might look like. Still needing to find a few more of the big size for a diorama :)

A few of the Facebook scale model sell/trade groups have 'em up from time to time in 1/48 and 1/72. Military Model Sell and Trade Area and Military Model Graveyard are the big ones. Chances are if you post and ask, someone will have one.

Just beware, I think the average age of either group is something like 57. Prepare yourself for a lot of Minions macros, although you generally get prices that beat Ebay since the folks there would rather deal directly and don't know how to price compare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Any obscure Eastern European models in there? I'm jonesing for an MS-1, but can't find any EE model sold in North America :(