Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

e_angst posted:

Two people who didn't actually read the article spotted.

i'm one person and also my posts were facetious, though no i didn't read a longass article about why boys have weiners

Condiv has issued a correction as of 19:32 on Apr 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Condiv posted:

i'm one person and also my posts were facetious, though no i didn't read a longass article about why boys have weiners
your concerns are addressed in like the second paragraph of the bad article btw

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

bawfuls posted:

your concerns are addressed in like the second paragraph of the bad article btw

as i said, they're not really my concerns

i can understand not going into detail about transgender people when a kid asks what the hell a weiner is for or why boys have them. sex, gender, and reproduction are pretty complex and i don't expect them to explain every detail of them to a little kid

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Powercrazy posted:

It's the same person. Perhaps it is you who did not read?

It is true. I am the turd.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Condiv posted:

as i said, they're not really my concerns

i can understand not going into detail about transgender people when a kid asks what the hell a weiner is for or why boys have them. sex, gender, and reproduction are pretty complex and i don't expect them to explain every detail of them to a little kid

Yeah it's a little absurd to go into a complex explanation that is only relevant to a tiny fraction of the population when explaining things to a 3 year old.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

quote:

Instead of a crevice in a rock, you’ve got a crevice in the female’s body.

I'm forwarding this to all my female collegues. Oh man.

To be fair though, study of duck copulation, sex organs and the mechanism is pretty important and should be solidly funded. Sex (the mechanism of the physical act, the structures involved) vary radically and it's critical they do so because that entire process is fundimental to speciation. We need more data to see how many different ways nature solves the problem of bringing sperm and egg together to illuminate what elements can vary and what cannot. And ultimately where those conserved elements of sex are in the genetic code.

This whole "cultural bias is why we dont study vaginas" is more than a little bit bullshit. Penises are literally salient. You can study and excite a male (generally) without killing him. You have to go digging around a female and that may require special tools to do so while the organism is alive or if you are doing a bunch of autopsies...you are trading a full interior view of the organ for limited information about how the organ fuctions in vivo. I'm sure there was bias and difficulty to get funding but slanting the article to say "it's the Patriarchy" which was very clearly the thrust from his edit is eyerollingly disingenuous.

Helical Nightmares has issued a correction as of 08:21 on Apr 25, 2016

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Tee-hee. Proto-weiners and hoo-has.

Prof. Lurker
Mar 10, 2015

I've got the fire of human liberty!

I'm setting fires everywhere!

And humans are turning on everywhere!
http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/4/27/1520813/-Mindblowing-This-Republican-pollster-blew-a-race-by-96-points-on-Tuesday-night

Gravis has a middle of the pack rating on 538

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Not 538 but since we've talked about the '5 ring circus,' this npr piece talks about 'lane theory,' which was invented by WaPo's The Fix and it's actually a lovely metaphor if you think about it. http://www.npr.org/2016/04/27/475848864/how-a-media-metaphor-took-root-in-gop-political-circles

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Just skimmed through 6 stages of doom, Nate still has it, folks. He can still be right!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm laughing at how badly he's performed this season.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Pollyanna posted:

I'm laughing at how badly he's performed this season.

Just add him to the list of people that had their careers ended (hopefully in Nate's case) by the Trump 2016 campaign.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Realtalk I've been working in forecasting myself for about six years and the primary thing it's taught me is that Nobody Likes Forecasters

I mean when was the last time you thought 'drat thanks weatherperson' when they nailed the rain forecast to the hour

Don't do forecasting kids

Bernice Anders
Feb 26, 2016

by zen death robot

Tayter Swift posted:

Realtalk I've been working in forecasting myself for about six years and the primary thing it's taught me is that Nobody Likes Forecasters

I mean when was the last time you thought 'drat thanks weatherperson' when they nailed the rain forecast to the hour

Not true at all there were plenty of 538 type dullards who worshiped at the cock of Nate Silver. Joementum the most prominent among them.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Tayter Swift posted:

Tom skilling is a Chicago hero for actually predicting some of the bad blizzards

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Maybe I'm just being bitter about my work environment then

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
I think it happens when you are in an industry where even with 100% accurate forecasting of uncommon or rare events, people always assume that 1% event occurring is proof the forecaster sucks. The amount of time I have to explain that 20% of our wells will fall out of our P10-P90 range is depressing.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

Tom skilling is a Chicago hero for actually predicting some of the bad blizzards

Same for Don Paul in Buffalo.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Tayter Swift posted:

Maybe I'm just being bitter about my work environment then

Nah, you were half right. People do dislike forecasters when they're wrong more than they like them when they're right. There was a mini cult of personality around Nate when he looked like a genius in 2012, but the backlash was pretty much inevitable as soon as he hosed up. He just really steered into the skid by making predictions that had nothing to do with math and doubling down on the type of conventional punditry he started out criticizing, so I think he's earned the backlash at this point.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Helical Nightmares posted:

I'm forwarding this to all my female collegues. Oh man.

To be fair though, study of duck copulation, sex organs and the mechanism is pretty important and should be solidly funded. Sex (the mechanism of the physical act, the structures involved) vary radically and it's critical they do so because that entire process is fundimental to speciation. We need more data to see how many different ways nature solves the problem of bringing sperm and egg together to illuminate what elements can vary and what cannot. And ultimately where those conserved elements of sex are in the genetic code.

This whole "cultural bias is why we dont study vaginas" is more than a little bit bullshit. Penises are literally salient. You can study and excite a male (generally) without killing him. You have to go digging around a female and that may require special tools to do so while the organism is alive or if you are doing a bunch of autopsies...you are trading a full interior view of the organ for limited information about how the organ fuctions in vivo. I'm sure there was bias and difficulty to get funding but slanting the article to say "it's the Patriarchy" which was very clearly the thrust from his edit is eyerollingly disingenuous.

I read a pretty good paper pointing at some pretty good evidence that ecological research has suffered in the past from a biases reflective of patriarchal attitudes, although it made the point that female researches often fell into the same paradigms as their male colleagues. The author pointed out our understanding of female decision making in sexual selection was radically reworked in the 1960s, often by female scientists, in parallel to the popular sexual revolution. I can't remember the name of the paper or author now, but it was fairly convincing argument for the value of diverse perspectives in research.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Squalid posted:

I read a pretty good paper pointing at some pretty good evidence that ecological research has suffered in the past from a biases reflective of patriarchal attitudes, although it made the point that female researches often fell into the same paradigms as their male colleagues. The author pointed out our understanding of female decision making in sexual selection was radically reworked in the 1960s, often by female scientists, in parallel to the popular sexual revolution. I can't remember the name of the paper or author now, but it was fairly convincing argument for the value of diverse perspectives in research.

The most obvious of these is the insistence on female monogamy in various species. This was eventually conclusively disproven with DNA analysis, after which observation in some species demonstrated the surreptitious polyandry that had been taking place all along.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Sinteres posted:

Nah, you were half right. People do dislike forecasters when they're wrong more than they like them when they're right. There was a mini cult of personality around Nate when he looked like a genius in 2012, but the backlash was pretty much inevitable as soon as he hosed up. He just really steered into the skid by making predictions that had nothing to do with math and doubling down on the type of conventional punditry he started out criticizing, so I think he's earned the backlash at this point.

He needs to be beaten in the face with a crowbar for being a bitchass punk and a punkass bitch.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

C. Everett Koop posted:

He needs to be beaten in the face with a crowbar for being a bitchass punk and a punkass bitch.

i like the liberality index nate and hillbots keep pushing lol

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Condiv posted:

i like the liberality index nate and hillbots keep pushing lol

who?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

clinton is only 12 liberality points less liberal than sanders. maybe she could've got my vote if she specced into leftism a bit more

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Imagine what that graph would look like were Bernie not pro-gun

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Condiv posted:

clinton is only 12 liberality points less liberal than sanders. maybe she could've got my vote if she specced into leftism a bit more

dunno that roughly checks out

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
You can quibble with the details there (like Jim Webb's liberal donors from 2006 dragging his score way further left than Jim Webb himself is), but that graph is pretty much a good summary of the Democratic Party's shift in the last 40 years. (The shift isn't the party going left, it's the right wing of the party going extinct).

I think it'd be interesting to have Hillary Clinton 2000, Hillary Clinton 2008, and Hillary Clinton 2016 scores, though. She's consistently tried to position herself about at the median of the party, which led to her incarnations post-Clinton Administration slowly but surely drifting left as the party changed. If you did this scoring in 2000 when she was running for Senate her score would be where her husband's was.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
are those metric or imperial liberal points

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
sorry, nate

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

For posterity.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
six stages was still the best cuz he conveniently forgot about the whole Bayesian thing and just figured they were all independent events

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Aren't Nate and his folks doing a live show tonight? Or was that last night?

What I'm trying to say is, have we seen Nate lately and are we sure he's not off in a corner somewhere and crying.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

citybeatnik posted:

Aren't Nate and his folks doing a live show tonight? Or was that last night?

What I'm trying to say is, have we seen Nate lately and are we sure he's not off in a corner somewhere and crying.

The staff post their thoughts on the results of each primary election night on the website as the night goes on.

He hasn't totally gone through it yet, but I'm fully expecting him to revisit the six stages of doom and eat crow point-by-point.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Nate Silver sat stunned alone, in a ratty old used recliner in an nearly empty New York apartment. Sporting a five o'clock shadow that took three weeks to go, a TV with a poo poo signal, and a floor full of empty whiskey bottles, Nate stared at the TV as Trump won state after state. He had spent the better part of a year swearing that Trump wouldn't be the GOP nominee, and after Trump was victorious there he swore up and down that Trump wouldn't, couldn't, beat Hillary. He staked his reputation, as the genius who called the 2012 election, as the man who conquered over the polls, on the back of Hillary. With Trump on his way to a landslide victory, all was lost. The two-week notice from ABC News came 13 days ago. His 538 staff quit long ago, refusing to go down on the ship with their mad captain. Even his grindr account had been terminated. Nate had nothing left, nothing but his polls and his graphs.

He pulled his trusty laptop onto his lap, the one that spat out the first PECOTA projections long ago that made Nate Silver into the man he was today. Nate hit enter once more, trying to find where he went wrong. Instead the computer coughed and went silent with a poof of black smoke from the processor, not even giving him the decency of a BSOD goodbye. Now Nate was truly alone.

Gulping the last of his whiskey and tossing the bottle aside, Nate took out a revolver and put it to his temple, cocking back the hammer. He never thought it would end like this, he thought, but at least I won't live a discredited polls analyst. His index finger twitched and a shot rang out, the revolver falling the floor.

Nate jumped from his chair and shook his hand, looking back at the shadowy figure in the doorway. The man blew out his rifle and stepped into the vacant apartment, turning the overhead light on.

"You're not getting off that easy," said Dean Chambers.

Bernice Anders
Feb 26, 2016

by zen death robot
Harry Enten gave Trump a -10% chance of getting the nomination.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Bernice Anders posted:

Harry Enten gave Trump a -10% chance of getting the nomination.

Does anybody have that "these are all the hoops Trump will have to jump through to actually win the nomination" article from last year?

Alpha 1
Feb 17, 2012

smg77 posted:

Does anybody have that "these are all the hoops Trump will have to jump through to actually win the nomination" article from last year?

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/donald-trumps-six-stages-of-doom/

Nate Silver posted:

If Trump made it this far, the Republican Party would go to extraordinary lengths to avoid nominating him. In “The Party Decides” view, parties are basically looking for two things from their nominees: They want them to be reliable (meaning, they can be counted on to enact the Republican agenda once in office), and they want them to be electable (meaning, they can win in November). It’s hard to think of a candidate who does worse on those two measures than Trump. He’s exceptionally unpopular among independent voters. But he also has a checkered political past that includes once having supported abortion rights and universal health care. For the Republican Party, he’s the worst of all possible worlds.

https://twitter.com/Reince/status/727665447684820992

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

This was actually kind of interesting: Trump voters make more money than most people assume.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-mythology-of-trumps-working-class-support/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

quote:

Donald Trump is going to win the Republican nomination.

If you’d told me a year ago that Trump would be the nominee, I’d have thought you were nuts. Don’t just take my word for it: Read what I wrote about Trump in July or August or even in November. Those pieces variously treated Trump’s nomination as being somewhere between improbable and extremely unlikely. You can also read pieces from October, December or January that were less skeptical of Trump’s chances and show how our opinion of him evolved over time. Still, other than being early skeptics of Jeb Bush, we basically got the Republican race wrong.

It’s at this point that I’ll spare you the navel-gazing detours about empirical philosophy since Trump’s nomination is potentially such a consequential event for both the Republican Party and the Republic. Trump is a huge departure from the conservative movement as embodied by Ronald Reagan — and also a probable (although by no means certain) general election loser in what would otherwise be a highly winnable race for Republicans. Usually a party picks a nominee who is both reasonably “electable” and who upholds its traditional policy positions. In Trump, the Republican Party may have a candidate who fails on both counts.

For a candidate like Trump to win the nomination, it means that several things have gone wrong — both for the Republican Party and in the assumptions we made about how party nominations work. The other day, I summed up the three most important such factors as follows:

:smugdon: :shepicide:

The fun continues.

• Locked thread