Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I'm curious why you're so sure about that.
I'm pretty sure that even after he decides to give One For All to Midoriya, All Might says that you really can't make it as a hero without a quirk.

Also the setup for him becoming 'The Angriest Batman' requires way way more time devoted to it than Hori seems to want to give any character besides Midoriya. Like, Mei or someone developing support gear for him to keep fighting in the league of quirk users seems really fan-fictiony to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Gyges posted:

It's only through accident that those two quirks merged into one. Nobody knew his brother actually had a quirk until afterwards. Considering the damage All Might did to All for One and his advanced age, as well as being unable to find a quirk to steal that would fix him, he's actually probably grooming Shigaraki to take over the position of All for One.

Plus given the Noumu problem, you probably can't really load people up with quirks. Did they say how many quirks someone can have before they turn into a Noumu? All for One of course being an exception since his quirk is the ability to have multiple quirks.

The trick with One for All is it's in fact only two quirks - it doesn't accumulate quirks, it accumulates physical strength, so it's still the 'accumulate physical strength' quirk and the 'give my quirk to you' quirk, and never becomes more than that. Because of that, we can assume that a normal human can handle at least two quirks. If a person has two quirks similar enough they can combine - this seems to happen when kids inherit quirks, like Todoroki, so it's not just a OfA thing. Presumably All for One knows about why and how One for All was created, and he specifically said he's looking for a useful quirk to give Shiragaki. I wouldn't be surprised if his endgame is to give Shiragaki a quirk that can combine with disintegration touch to create something much more dangerous. If he created an All Might level power once he probably is aiming to do it again. As of right now, Shiragaki isn't really ever capable of being an All for One level threat, no matter how much practice he gets, so an upgrade is probably definitely in the works.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Fabricated posted:

I'm pretty sure that even after he decides to give One For All to Midoriya, All Might says that you really can't make it as a hero without a quirk.

Also the setup for him becoming 'The Angriest Batman' requires way way more time devoted to it than Hori seems to want to give any character besides Midoriya. Like, Mei or someone developing support gear for him to keep fighting in the league of quirk users seems really fan-fictiony to me.

Bakugou is way too proud to accept that kind of handout but yeah from a narrative perspective I could see how that time needed to make that convincing would distract from the main story.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I'm curious why you're so sure about that.

Probably because it's just an idea that's been bandied around in this thread.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Come to think of it, I wonder how effective Eraserhead would be against All for One. I wonder if there's some semi-BS reason why he wouldn't be effective, like his ability only blocking the person's original quirk and not any of the other ones he's picked up (so only blocking his ability to steal quirks). I know his ability doesn't his against people whose quirk is their body type, but that would still vastly limit All for One's capabilities of it managed to block everything else.

After watching the fifth episode I was wondering how Eraser Head's power would work on All Might.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

LostRook posted:

After watching the fifth episode I was wondering how Eraser Head's power would work on All Might.

manga thread, so i'm gonna spoil some manga stuff

i dunno if allmight's power type is classified as 'always on' or 'triggerable'. mido definitely uses it like a trigger and eraserhead blocked that back in the PE test, and all-skel obviously needs to shift between forms, but I dunno about the whole

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
He erases one for all in midoriya he could probably do it to all might too it's the same quirk.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
With the whole vessel talk, it seems like OfA fundamentally changes the body of it's user such that it kind of is both an active power and a mutation type.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

LostRook posted:

With the whole vessel talk, it seems like OfA fundamentally changes the body of it's user such that it kind of is both an active power and a mutation type.

It seems to be a mutation type for All Might but doesn't seem to be one for Deku. It could just be because Deku is new to using it and is activating before he attacks and deactivates it after rather than keeping it on like All Might does. I think the rules are that Eraserhead can stop it from activating, and when he did it it to Deku it was mid-activation, but once it's active he can't turn it off. So he could stop All Might from bulking up but he couldn't reverse it after that.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I just wonder if, by the time Deku gets some sort of mastery over OfA, his eyes will look terrifying too.:ohdear:

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

I just wonder if, by the time Deku gets some sort of mastery over OfA, his eyes will look terrifying too.:ohdear:

I recall Horikoshi mentioning in the character profiles that All Might's eyes are more indicative of the injury that weakened him so much, it's not really to do with his quirk.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Wolpertinger posted:

The trick with One for All is it's in fact only two quirks - it doesn't accumulate quirks, it accumulates physical strength, so it's still the 'accumulate physical strength' quirk and the 'give my quirk to you' quirk, and never becomes more than that. Because of that, we can assume that a normal human can handle at least two quirks. If a person has two quirks similar enough they can combine - this seems to happen when kids inherit quirks, like Todoroki, so it's not just a OfA thing. Presumably All for One knows about why and how One for All was created, and he specifically said he's looking for a useful quirk to give Shiragaki. I wouldn't be surprised if his endgame is to give Shiragaki a quirk that can combine with disintegration touch to create something much more dangerous. If he created an All Might level power once he probably is aiming to do it again. As of right now, Shiragaki isn't really ever capable of being an All for One level threat, no matter how much practice he gets, so an upgrade is probably definitely in the works.

Pretty sure All Might specifically said that through a lottery of fate the guy's unknown natural quirk and the power building quirk merged into a single quirk. We also know that similarity of ability has nothing to do with kids having hybrid quirks of their parents, because fire and ice are opposites and looking like a flesh rock has nothing to do with talking to animals.

Slime posted:

It seems to be a mutation type for All Might but doesn't seem to be one for Deku. It could just be because Deku is new to using it and is activating before he attacks and deactivates it after rather than keeping it on like All Might does. I think the rules are that Eraserhead can stop it from activating, and when he did it it to Deku it was mid-activation, but once it's active he can't turn it off. So he could stop All Might from bulking up but he couldn't reverse it after that.

It's an activated quirk for both of them. It doesn't matter what the quirk does, Eraserhead can stop all active quirks. The only way he wouldn't be able to stop One for All would be if it was constantly in use from the moment it was granted. Since we know that isn't the case for either All Might or Deku, Eraserhead can stop them. As for All for One, we don't know if he can even steal any quirks that Eraserhead couldn't turn off. Most likely not since he doesn't have much interest in being a frog man or a flesh colored rock man.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I feel like while, right now, Eraser head could help take down All Might or Deku, back in the day it probably wouldn't have mattered too much, since All Might still knows how to fight and he was roughly the size of a barge anyway.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Eraserhead has to blink, and he can't restrain All Might so thoroughly while he is weakened that he couldn't break free. Like, if he nullified all might and then slit his throat that might work, but that isn't really in character.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I feel like while, right now, Eraser head could help take down All Might or Deku, back in the day it probably wouldn't have mattered too much, since All Might still knows how to fight and he was roughly the size of a barge anyway.

No ones slick as All Might
No ones quick as All Might
No ones neck is as incredibly thick as All Might

Jintor
May 19, 2014

for no hero around is near half as mighty
perfect, a pure paragon

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Gyges posted:

Pretty sure All Might specifically said that through a lottery of fate the guy's unknown natural quirk and the power building quirk merged into a single quirk. We also know that similarity of ability has nothing to do with kids having hybrid quirks of their parents, because fire and ice are opposites and looking like a flesh rock has nothing to do with talking to animals.

It's an activated quirk for both of them. It doesn't matter what the quirk does, Eraserhead can stop all active quirks. The only way he wouldn't be able to stop One for All would be if it was constantly in use from the moment it was granted. Since we know that isn't the case for either All Might or Deku, Eraserhead can stop them. As for All for One, we don't know if he can even steal any quirks that Eraserhead couldn't turn off. Most likely not since he doesn't have much interest in being a frog man or a flesh colored rock man.

Has Eraserhead used his quirk on someone with an activated quirk with effects that linger, like Icyhot's ice, or that tentacle guy and his ability to grow tentacle limbs with mouths and stuff? That tentacle quirk seems like a mix of an activated quirk and a mutation, so it might be the case that Eraserhead can stop him from growing new tentacles but can't unmake ones that have already been made. That's why I'm speculating that he can stop OfA from activating but may not be able to force All Might out of his buff form, since that too seems like it's a quirk that changes his body.

The only reason I'm even speculating is because AfO can steal quirks, and if he stole Eraserhead's quirk then he or whoever he gives it to will be a serious powerhouse. Eraserhead's issues are that he needs to keep eye contact and that his quirk just brings his opponent down in power without giving him any abilities of his own to take them down once they're depowered. If AfO has it, he has other quirks he can use while he's nullifying an opponent, which would be powerful as all hell and make him even more dangerous than he already is.

Actually, on the topic of using multiple quirks, I imagine there's a whole mess of supposedly pretty much useless quirks that would pair fantastically with more powerful ones. A quirk that makes you not need to blink sounds like a pretty lame superpower, but if you combined that with Eraserhead's quirk and you've just solved a big weakness. Uravity would benefit massively from a silly little quirk like not being able to feel nauseous. A lot of quirks have downsides and weaknesses, the reason AfO is so powerful isn't just because he has all those powerful quirks but probably also because he can cover their various weaknesses up with other quirks.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If you want to get really pedantic about quirk physics; what happens if Monoma (the kid with the quirk that copies quirks for 5 minutes) touches All For One?

Does he get All For One? Whatever he happens to be using at the moment? Does he get All For One AND all of the quirks he has stocked?

If he touches Midoriya, does he somehow copy the power Midoriya is storing now? Or does he merely get the energy storing aspect of the quirk which effectively makes it way way less powerful?

I'd...try not to think about it too much.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Slime posted:

The only reason I'm even speculating is because AfO can steal quirks, and if he stole Eraserhead's quirk then he or whoever he gives it to will be a serious powerhouse.

He'd have to give it away since he doesn't have eyes.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

There is just about a hundred percent chance that AfO wants Eraserheads power.

Like, that's not a question of "would he want it" and more a question of, when will he try to take and/or will he succeed in taking it.

Even if he wouldn't put it to some use (and c'mon) that isn't the sort of Quirk a badguy who can steal and regift Quirks wants at large, let alone in a hero's hands.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I think he would just not want anyone else to have it. He can't use it himself, but anyone else could use it against him including his subordinates.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

NecroMonster posted:

There is just about a hundred percent chance that AfO wants Eraserheads power.

Like, that's not a question of "would he want it" and more a question of, when will he try to take and/or will he succeed in taking it.

Even if he wouldn't put it to some use (and c'mon) that isn't the sort of Quirk a badguy who can steal and regift Quirks wants at large, let alone in a hero's hands.

Now that will be a tense fight.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Captain Invictus posted:

I have a feeling he has some kind of "implacable" quirk, in that he can be unstoppably resilient and relentless on a whim. Only way I could see him standing his ground against berserk All Might
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKLmZNnMT0A

Going back a little in the thread, but isn't that basically the exact Quirk that All for One gave to the first Noumu we saw? I dunno if he's the kind of guy to pick up multiple backup Quirks. But I always assumed he had SOME kind of invulnerability or very defensive Quirk anyway, since the only reason I can think for him not picking up a super-healing Quirk before All Might Smashed his skull in is if he thought he was untouchable and didn't need it.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Fabricated posted:

If you want to get really pedantic about quirk physics; what happens if Monoma (the kid with the quirk that copies quirks for 5 minutes) touches All For One?

Does he get All For One? Whatever he happens to be using at the moment? Does he get All For One AND all of the quirks he has stocked?

If he touches Midoriya, does he somehow copy the power Midoriya is storing now? Or does he merely get the energy storing aspect of the quirk which effectively makes it way way less powerful?

I'd...try not to think about it too much.

here's an even better one: if he copies one for all, can he pass it on to someone else?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Dub preview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnsd0Uf5usE

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Going back a little in the thread, but isn't that basically the exact Quirk that All for One gave to the first Noumu we saw? I dunno if he's the kind of guy to pick up multiple backup Quirks. But I always assumed he had SOME kind of invulnerability or very defensive Quirk anyway, since the only reason I can think for him not picking up a super-healing Quirk before All Might Smashed his skull in is if he thought he was untouchable and didn't need it.

Nah, I think it was absorbing physical attacks.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Midoriya is great, All Might is bleh. Just a slightly lighter-toned Armstrong.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Genocyber posted:

All Might sounds too flat, and Deku ... W-Watanuki, is that you?

Having some serious Xxxholic flashbacks here, guys.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Genocyber posted:

I agree, Midoriya is pretty spot on. All Might was...acceptable I guess.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
The funny thing is that's Chris Sabat and he can be a loud person ( I mean he's goddamn Vegeta). He sounds way too flat and not enough energy.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Maybe there's a process requirement for AfO to take a power. He said the opportunity fell into his lap to steal Ragdoll's (also apparently she needed to be naked and dunked into a vat or something, but maybe that was Noumu processing or AfO's just a weirdo), so perhaps the stealing process is more complicated than wham just touching the dude.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
He's an evil mastermind. How else is he supposed to keep a female captive?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jintor posted:

Maybe there's a process requirement for AfO to take a power. He said the opportunity fell into his lap to steal Ragdoll's (also apparently she needed to be naked and dunked into a vat or something, but maybe that was Noumu processing or AfO's just a weirdo), so perhaps the stealing process is more complicated than wham just touching the dude.

I assume he needs them helpless, at least; it's probably not an instant process. We did have that flashback panel of him forcing the quirk onto his younger brother, so the process of taking a quirk is likely similar. Physical contact of an as-yet indeterminate duration is basically a given, if nothing else.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Tied to train tracks.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Tied to train tracks.

Touché.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

By holding her firmly by the upper arm, of course

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Roland Jones posted:

I assume he needs them helpless, at least; it's probably not an instant process. We did have that flashback panel of him forcing the quirk onto his younger brother, so the process of taking a quirk is likely similar. Physical contact of an as-yet indeterminate duration is basically a given, if nothing else.

4koma of AfO awkwardly hanging out by a goo vat jamming one hand in there while looking at a stopwatch

"goddamnit I knew I should've put the kettle on before I did this, not after"

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Jintor posted:

Presumably he stole her quirk and then started turning her into a Noumu. Otherwise, she wouldn't have been in the Noumu factory in the first place.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Mystic Mongol posted:

By holding her firmly by the wrists, of course

ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I agree, Midoriya is pretty spot on. All Might was...acceptable I guess.

All Might's gonna sound great when we hear him in a pre-injury flashback.