Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo
Hello again thread, still an unranked scrub. Yesterday I decided to sit down and play some comp, get those comp wins and get ranked. So I win two games and now I'm on a cooldown for 21 hours? Can you only play 2 games a day, or does this change after getting ranked?

Sorry, for sure the most noob question ever asked in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

UWBW posted:

Hello again thread, still an unranked scrub. Yesterday I decided to sit down and play some comp, get those comp wins and get ranked. So I win two games and now I'm on a cooldown for 21 hours? Can you only play 2 games a day, or does this change after getting ranked?

You can lose any amount but you can only win 2 a day before being ranked. Basically the point is to make it more difficult for better players to make new accounts and smash new players to pieces. Its not fun for you but the restrictions make your life better once you do get ranked.

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

UWBW posted:

yes, I believe you have to play 10 matches to get a rank with a max of 2 per day, and then once you have one you can play an unlimited amount of matches.

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

real dilemma posted:

yes, I believe you have to play 10 matches to get a rank with a max of 2 per day, and then once you have one you can play an unlimited amount of matches.

Oh thank god. I'm at 8 wins right now, so tonight's the night, boys :hist101:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
nothing quite like hopping in for a quick match, one guy leaves at the first round, two more are with 300+ ping.

we ended up going 16-14 because one of the guys stabilized his ping, but the other one cost us the very last round. Fun times.

At least I got an eco ace.

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

online friend posted:

ah! good, the token "you think YOU'VE got it bad" post

i was able to easily pull a stable 300FPS with an i7-3770k and a GTX 660 so i can't think of any reasons that i should be dropping frames like i am now.

What are your in game settings likes?

Also try using r_drawtracers_firstperson 0. Its not normally used to improve performance, but if you're specifically having issues in firefights it may help. Also you're running cs in multi-core mode and power save isn't enabled correct? Finally are you on the map nuke?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

online friend posted:

i've been dropping frames since my most recent upgrade (part list) and i can't figure out why. seems to happen mostly in firefights, where i seem to be dropping under 144FPS, otherwise it's around ~300FPS stable. tried rolling back video drivers to the 391.x series, doing a clean reinstall of drivers, disabling adaptive power saving for my gpu, nothing. :( any ideas?

Have you tried messing with your launch options?

https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/45nohf/mat_queue_mode_2_a_insanely_easy_way_to_massively/

This gave me a lot more FPS...until my laptop overheats and shits the bed. If you don't see an improvement and you're running AMD try +mat_queue_mode 1

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Kwilty posted:

What are your in game settings likes?

Also try using r_drawtracers_firstperson 0. Its not normally used to improve performance, but if you're specifically having issues in firefights it may help. Also you're running cs in multi-core mode and power save isn't enabled correct? Finally are you on the map nuke?

everything low, 1920x1080, bilinear antialiasing

i am running multicore, adaptive power saving is disabled, and no on nuke

i might just reinstall win7 because i've been having some weird issues aside from this since the upgrade. windows can be kinda fucky when you change mobos/cpus

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

In general, you should always reinstall windows on a clean build.

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

qhat posted:

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Also play in fullscreen instead of windowed fullscreen.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

also your just bad

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
so the time investment to even play your first comp game is bullshitting around for however long it takes to get to rank 3 and then its 5 more days before you can play however much comp you want??

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010

Valve posted:

We have shipped over 90 weapon finishes made by the CS:GO community with each finish earning over $40,000 on average.

I don't think they've ever released that sort of information before. Pretty interesting.

Coridium, the person behind the Asiimov skins has had 17 skins put in cases. You do the math.

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

qhat posted:

I reinstall windows every time I miss a headshot. I haven't had to do this for a while, but I'm pretty sure that's just because I'm too scared to play.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Famethrowa posted:

also your just bad

your just bad

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

online friend posted:

everything low, 1920x1080, bilinear antialiasing

i am running multicore, adaptive power saving is disabled, and no on nuke

i might just reinstall win7 because i've been having some weird issues aside from this since the upgrade. windows can be kinda fucky when you change mobos/cpus

Yes, ALWAYS reinstall windows if you change mobo/cpu, other items are fine, some things you just need to be more thorough about removing old driver components (GPU/soundcards)

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Snazzy Frocks posted:

so the time investment to even play your first comp game is bullshitting around for however long it takes to get to rank 3 and then its 5 more days before you can play however much comp you want??

Its a long way from perfect but low rank matchmaking was much much worse before all the restrictions because you would have every half decent player down there beating the absolute poo poo out of the real silvers and novas just because. If you're new to the game its hard to grasp how steep the learning curve is. Its not like you won't ever see someone down there styling on the newbies but its so much rarer than it was

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Goofballs posted:

Its a long way from perfect but low rank matchmaking was much much worse before all the restrictions because you would have every half decent player down there beating the absolute poo poo out of the real silvers and novas just because. If you're new to the game its hard to grasp how steep the learning curve is. Its not like you won't ever see someone down there styling on the newbies but its so much rarer than it was

Does that imply that once I get ranked and wind up in silver, there's a chance the game might get much much easier?

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

UWBW posted:

Does that imply that once I get ranked and wind up in silver, there's a chance the game might get much much easier?

In some ways. There are ways silver players play that may throw you off guard quite a bit.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

UWBW posted:

Assuming you get ranked into silver, if you're on like 9 games and you see everyone else is silver at the end probably that happens. I think the highest you can get is eagle with straight winning all 10 placement games in a row but I'm not sure of that.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 4, 2016

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Goofballs posted:

Assuming you get ranked into silver, if you're on like 9 games and you see everyone else is silver at the end probably that happens. I think the highest you can get is eagle with straight winning all 10 placement games in a row but I'm not sure of that.

I placed one of my alts into DMG after the placements. I think LEM is the highest it can go.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Xenaero posted:

In some ways. There are ways silver players play that may throw you off guard quite a bit.

This is my hell right now. I've put my self into a bad spot by playing drunk. Soo I'm ranked Gn1. I know I can play better and have made it up to Gn3 playing sober. So now I just shake my head when every round I get by Cts at banana or some other weird poo poo. It does make it interesting.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

UWBW posted:

Please read the thread before posting

E: The joke is thread is noob

surc fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 4, 2016

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Xenaero posted:

i used to be really easily trolled in irc about starcraft with some guy who'd tell me how noobs were always owning him because they were noobs. he riled me up a couple dozen times it was horrible :(

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

It's true up to a point. Occasionally you expect someone who is low to not peek again or to save and when they don't it can really throw you off.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

fennesz posted:

It's true up to a point. Occasionally you expect someone who is low to not peek again or to save and when they don't it can really throw you off.

At GN1, if you throw a smoke, someone will rush it with a p90. It's like cause and effect.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

xsf421 posted:

At GN1, if you throw a smoke, someone will rush it with a p90. It's like cause and effect.

I never used to camp long doors, but then I noticed how often pubstars with p90s like to rush it. Best is when you prefire a guy because he's done it every round and they call hacks :v:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

xsf421 posted:

It's me. I'm that guy rushing your smoke with a P90 :glomp:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

P90 best weapon

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

xsf421 posted:

Rack up those free kills as you rank up to GN2, the highest rank I've ever attained.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I went from GN2 to MGE (you can see it from my post history :)), but after a point the playing level is high enough that you can't carry the team on your own. So it is all up to whether you get lucky and play with a good team that communicates well. If you play with a guy who keeps loudly whining "WHO PEEKS THAT!!?" and "GODDAMMIT WHO'S WATCHING MY BACK?!" every time he dies instead of making his call and shutting the gently caress up until the next round then chances are you lose the match.

The best teams I played with so far all had girls who were brave enough to talk in a game, and 30+ year old sounding guys who didn't immediately tilt and go "gg" when the team lost 3 rounds in a row.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

UnfurledSails posted:

The best teams I played with so far all had girls who were brave enough to talk in a game, and 30+ year old sounding guys who didn't immediately tilt and go "gg" when the team lost 3 rounds in a row.

:agreed:

The best barometer I have found is in the first round where people call where they are going and where they are going to hold.

"I'll go A, and I'm going to play under palace."
"All right I'll go A and I'll watch ramp from triple."
etc.

Was a fun game.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

UnfurledSails posted:

but after a point the playing level is high enough that you can't carry the team on your own

Yes although MGE is definitely not that rank

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

OxySnake posted:

:agreed:

The best barometer I have found is in the first round where people call where they are going and where they are going to hold.

"I'll go A, and I'm going to play under palace."
"All right I'll go A and I'll watch ramp from triple."
etc.

Was a fun game.

I'm the guy who rushes palace every round and dies instantly so I can go back to playing Candy Crush until the next round.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

qhat posted:

Yes although MGE is definitely not that rank

That point depends on how skilled you are, obviously. What I'm saying is that I can be ranked Nova Master or an MGE with the exact same skills depending on the luck of the draw.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

that is definitely not true, if you play enough games it evens out

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I have been in DMG for loving ever but also I have played like 5 counter strike games in about 2 months

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

UnfurledSails posted:

I can be ranked Nova Master or an MGE with the exact same skills depending on the luck of the draw.

This is true for me, it all depends on how good the person carrying me is at the game (thanks Daeno).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

as a sem all i want from this thread is the mlg tag