Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Guinness posted:

Jesus loving Christ.

That's amazing dedication to being terrible.

MUST....NOT....SPENDFIFTYBUCKS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Owner is probably super proud of his fix, keeping his DD on the road for cheap. Probably has his own forum where he showed it off to his budget bros and got a bunch of pats on the back.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

I'm not a petrol purist or anything but that just seems kinda rude, can't tell if trolling?

Anyone know what the sticker on the right is, apologies for the potato quality, picture was sent to me

Also I hit back to look at that hub and lol'd again, poo poo is gold

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

thechalkoutline posted:

I'm not a petrol purist or anything but that just seems kinda rude, can't tell if trolling?

Anyone know what the sticker on the right is, apologies for the potato quality, picture was sent to me

"RIDE OR DIE"

Indeed. :smith:

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Jo3sh posted:

Stop, stop. I can't breath.

e:

charliemonster42 fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 4, 2016

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Reminds me of this gem, which I've definitely posted before, but it's so good.

I particularly like her solution to the front plate problem.

"No officer, the plate's right there!"

I'm not really seeing where it qualifies as terrible car stuff. The owner apparently likes their car and has put a bunch of work into modifiying to their tastes and doing what appears to be a decent job. The paint follows the body lines, the body kit is blended in well and the paint job isn't a 5 minute rattlecan job. It may be a bit :rice:, but the only terrible thing I see is the stretched tires. And plenty of people in AI have bitched about front plates and admitted they just don't run them because it ruins the look of their car. :colbert:

On the other hand, I may be a broken human being because I'd drive the poo poo out of this stanced PT Cruiser and I hate everything that makes it what it is. (except those wheels, want those wheels.)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

thechalkoutline posted:

Dem Paul Walker tributes. A friend of mine has one on his front bumper but not through choice. One of his friends put it on the car, so he took it off and the next day at work it reappeared. He took it off, it reappeared again... Apparently this guy bought a job lot of cheap stickers and uses them to annoy people... :golfclap:

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I was fairly convinced Chinese scooter man was dead after not seeing it for a few days. :ohdear:

He's back! :toot:

He's left the hub spun around the wrong way and just gently caress-it "welded" his way to success!

Bonus image in case you missed it in the original post: He remounted the spring on the swing arm and this angle just shows how amazing this whole package is.

"OF GOOD QUALITY" :v:

I've been on worse. Barely.

Those welds basically remind me of the time I built a gocart out of scrap steel, dreams and the first time i used a welder.

DiggityDoink fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 4, 2016

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The new Bugatti Chiron's exhaust:

A lot of expensive cars do this and it looks so silly and cheap. I suppose the rest of the car looks silly but it ain't cheap.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I would not stand for that for $2mil.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

He didn't get it welded, he did it himself with the cheapest rig Harbor Freight had to offer. I would like to think that no one who charges money for their welding services is doing that lovely a job.

I am an eternal optimist though.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

fyodor posted:

A lot of expensive cars do this and it looks so silly and cheap. I suppose the rest of the car looks silly but it ain't cheap.

Considering most people will only see the back end of this car, this is a sticking point.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Elmnt80 posted:

... I may be a broken human being because I'd drive the poo poo out of this stanced PT Cruiser...

Yes.

fyodor posted:

It's my understanding that they do this because the designer wanted the exhaust to look like it's integrated with the bumper, but you can't have it that close or the bumper will melt/catch fire, so the tips are integrated with the bumper but not actually connected to the exhaust. I agree that it's preposterous on a $2m supercar.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I assume he only bothered to grind the welds down to hide the shame of how badly it was done?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Speaking of exhausts integrated with the bumper:

Which leads to:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

NoWake posted:

Speaking of exhausts integrated with the bumper:

Which leads to:

ugh.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

88h88 posted:

Considering most people will only see the back end of this car, this is a sticking point.

You know who aren't most people and don't have to look at the rear of the car if they don't want to? The owner, and the people he drives up to and tells to get in.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

H110Hawk posted:

You know who aren't most people and don't have to look at the rear of the car if they don't want to? The owner, and the people he drives up to and tells to get in.

For 2 milli I want to look at the rear, the front, the sides, the roof and, hell, I'll even get under it and do impure things to myself.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

NoWake posted:

Which leads to:

I don't understand, is this stock? Or did someone purchase a side-pointing exhaust for some reason? I always find it amusing when kids in Civics get bumpers with holes or indentations for dual-exhaust under the assumption that one day they'll have that awesome dual exhaust setup then the bumper just hangs around on the back unpainted until they one day total the car.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Looks all the world to me to be stock, dunno who would go through the trouble of swapping things then keeping the dealer's plate frame on there. But I found it on GIS, so no idea.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think the side exhaust is a result of a lower spec model. That's usually how those discontinuities show up, like poverty spec cars having blank plates on the dashboard.

I know jack and poo poo about the truck lines though so can't guess where that vehicle sits on the totem pole.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

2 million bux is an awful lot of cash to be pissing away on something with such a glaringly garbage looking exhaust though. I suppose at least they've made the pipes the same shape as the fake exhaust but still, cheaper cars have better looking exhaust solutions so this is a loving joke.

If a Ford Focus can have a functional shaped exhaust but your unfeasibly expensive Bugatti can't, a mistake has been made somewhere.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

SLT is the base spec, so it shouldn't have that bumper from the factor. I'm guessing they dinged the stock one and had it replaced and whoever replaced it just grabbed whatever bumper they had in stock that matched the model year.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

88h88 posted:

Dem Paul Walker tributes. A friend of mine has one on his front bumper but not through choice. One of his friends put it on the car, so he took it off and the next day at work it reappeared. He took it off, it reappeared again... Apparently this guy bought a job lot of cheap stickers and uses them to annoy people... :golfclap:

Is your friend of a friend the admin of UKDM hates you?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

88h88 posted:

2 million bux is an awful lot of cash to be pissing away on something with such a glaringly garbage looking exhaust though. I suppose at least they've made the pipes the same shape as the fake exhaust but still, cheaper cars have better looking exhaust solutions so this is a loving joke.

If a Ford Focus can have a functional shaped exhaust but your unfeasibly expensive Bugatti can't, a mistake has been made somewhere.

The gt350 has the tips as part of the bumper and the tailpipe leads into them as a separate unit. I think Ford said it was for heat/vibration reasons but who knows.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Exhaust tips do tend to shift around a bit when gunning the throttle. Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FvanLGow54&t=65s

It's a giant failure on the part of the design team to try and impose some kind of design aesthetic that requires the exhaust tips to be in a static position on the exterior of the vehicle. The smart thing to do is make a hole big enough for the pipes, and let them do their thing.

Especially on cars that 99% of us will never be able to afford.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

fyodor posted:

Wow is this ever in the wrong thread. :eyepop:

Yeah. Sure, it's a concept most of us here hate, but it's executed well. Gotta admire their dedication to the theme, even if you don't care for the style.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Exhausts also tend to expand as they get heat into them. Observe my exhaust tips' M3rection

https://vimeo.com/124575684

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Delivery McGee posted:

Yeah. Sure, it's a concept most of us here hate, but it's executed well. Gotta admire their dedication to the theme, even if you don't care for the style.

No, execution and style aside a portable mirror for the sun is a terrible idea to have on public roads. I don't mind chrome wheels because they're low and on the side but even those chrome license plate frames can catch the sun just right and get in people's eyes.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

fyodor posted:

The exhaust flow entrains air exiting under the car, creates a low pressure region under the car and thus additional downforce. It is literally a vacuum ejector using waste gas to do useful work.

Verdict: Only terrible for people who don't get what's going on.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Not sure if serious.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is one of the biggest piles of marketing bullshit I've ever heard of (unless you're just talking poo poo in which case :thejoke:). It is 100% because the car was designed before they had a functioning idea of how it would be laid out and the engineers got stuck with having to Just Make It Work. See also: the doorframes, the door handles. The entire car absolutely reeks of cheap considering how expensive it is, the veyron was a lot tidier and better executed.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

fyodor posted:

Powertrains move independently of the rest of the car at times; even a stressed engine and gearbox wouldn't fix the position of the exhaust exits rigidly to the car's skin.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Then design with that in mind.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

To put it another way, the Veyron was built with the idea that every decision was made with a view to a final design with no compromises. This includes things like the material used on the indicator stalk to the layout of the gearbox. For this to be a $2.5 million car, every single detail from a stitch in the leather to the way the exhaust interfaces with the body work has to have been considered and made to be as perfect as possible.

Otherwise you may as well buy a Lexus or something.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Jonny Nox posted:

Otherwise you may as well buy a Lexus or something.

LFA is horrified by this statement.

It's ok, LFA, he was making a joke.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

GTA VI lookin good!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

GTA VI lookin good!

I wonder if that melts plastic on cars with reflected sunlight.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Ether Frenzy posted:

Exhausts also tend to expand as they get heat into them. Observe my exhaust tips' M3rection

https://vimeo.com/124575684

oh my god. I kept skipping back and forth between the end and beginning... I didn't realize exhausts expanded THAT much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Thermal expansion is a thing. It can do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LoXgN1QWZM