Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Rise Against II next week
5 songs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I'm down. I didn't really like them until I actually played their songs.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Yeah, I'm psyched. Here's hoping we get Re-education (Through Labor).

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I'm down. I didn't really like them until I actually played their songs.

I used to like them a lot more until I found out they're all big into PETA. :negative:

(Still fun to play though, definitely.)

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Dewgy posted:

I used to like them a lot more until I found out they're all big into PETA. :negative:

(Still fun to play though, definitely.)

:saddowns:

And in the Rock Band thread I found out that lostprophets' lead singer is a babydiddler. Fuckin' rhythm games showcasing how lovely some of these people are!

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Rise Against II Song Pack – $11.99

* Rise Against “Audience of One” – Eb Standard
* Rise Against “Help Is On The Way” – Eb Standard
* Rise Against “Paper Wings” – Eb Standard
* Rise Against “Ready To Fall” – Eb Standard
* Rise Against “Re-Education (Through Labor)” – Eb Standard

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Excellent pack.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

toymach1ne posted:

Rise Against II Song Pack – $11.99

* Rise Against “Audience of One” – Eb Standard
* Rise Against “Help Is On The Way” – Eb Standard
* Rise Against “Paper Wings” – Eb Standard
* Rise Against “Ready To Fall” – Eb Standard
* Rise Against “Re-Education (Through Labor)” – Eb Standard

Paper Wings is real fuckin fun to play and the rest of the songs probably are too - definitely getting the pack.

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

I was watching Riff Repeater vids on the new pack and was trying to kind of strum along but he uses 'flipped' tabs. Failing to play along I thought of this video about learning to ride a backwards bicycle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFzDaBzBlL0

Anyone able to play along with songs with tabs flipped either way?

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
As a left-hander, I play everything backwards.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Next week's DLC

Variety 4 pack including "Little Talks" by Of Monsters and Men

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Ew. :smith:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Screw you, OMAM is a great band. I love it when a song is released that both me and my wife enjoy, because practicing it annoys her a lot less :)

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It's me, I'm the monster who loving hates Of Monsters And Men, Mumford And Sons, and The Lumineers.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It's me, I'm the monster who loving hates Of Monsters And Men, Mumford And Sons, and The Lumineers.

Those bands are all annoying as gently caress, so it appears that the reports of your monsterhood have been greatly exaggerated

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
I'm really enjoying this Rise Against DLC though. I can't put my finger on it, but these sons are much more fun to play than the original rise against pack.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I don't hate them but I really miss electric guitars in popular music. There's plenty of chill out music on the radio but nothing gets me pumped anymore.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Bumming Your Scene posted:

I was watching Riff Repeater vids on the new pack and was trying to kind of strum along but he uses 'flipped' tabs. Failing to play along I thought of this video about learning to ride a backwards bicycle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFzDaBzBlL0

Anyone able to play along with songs with tabs flipped either way?

The trick is to not look at the fret at the very bottom, just the colored notes coming at you.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

HEY, HO

I am indifferent to the other two.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30iPAvBbh_A

yo

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I finally bought a new cable which solved all of my problems with getting my guitar to recognize. Now I need to remember what songs I was learning...

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I just cannot for the life of me nail that riff for some reason no matter how much I slow it down. If only Dimebag were still here to guide me :rip:

Seeing it 100%ed is cool though.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 9, 2016

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Arch Enemy "Nemesis" - C Standard
Nazareth "Hair of the Dog"
Of Monsters and Men "Little Talks" - Capo Required [Alt. Lead/Alt. Rhythm]
The Presidents of The United States of America "Peaches" - Eb Drop Db

toymach1ne fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 9, 2016

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Okay
YES
Ugh
YES

Here's hoping this starts a PUSA trend in DLC.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Here's hoping this starts a PUSA trend in DLC.

I hear ya.

I know for a fact I would never ever play Nemesis, even if I'm already downtuning to C to play QotSA, but I would totally play the poo poo out of Peaches and my girlfriend would play the poo poo out of Little Talks. Hair of the Dog is kind of a wildcard as to if it would get any playtime.

I know a lot of people groan at the prospect, but I wonder why we haven't seen any Red Hot Chili Peppers show up yet. They were so ubiquitous in Rock Band and Guitar Hero that I kind of figured we'd have some by now. I'm With You was not a good album, but it had one song on there I really liked in Rain Dance Maggie, and you've got a ton of back catalog that's all pretty good.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
RHCP is one of those bands where they've grabbed one song from them in the past and we never got anything else since.

I'd love some Silversun Pickups or Paramore DLC but we've got one on-disc song from each. They were both well featured in Rock Band so I figure that they want too much money to licence.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
This is on special via PSN this week, and after years of RB3 I'd like to take the plunge with a real guitar, but I wanted to be sure of a few things before I made the purchase.

I know that I'll need to get the Real Tone cable separately to play the game, so I suppose I just need to scour some online shops for a good deal on the official version?

And any basic six-string electric guitar will work with the game yea? I saw the OP mention that tremolo bars and certain variants are to be avoided, is that still accurate?

Lastly my home setup is simple and the sound is direct from the TV, occasionally via headphones. Are there certain calibration issues I should be aware of beforehand, or should it be fine if RB3 worked fine all this time?

Thanks!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
You'll need a cable, they're cheap online.

Tremelo bars don't mess with the game, they're bad on guitars.

Any guitar should work.

Latency on the 360 was comparable to RB3 but that was using the splitter to a receiver and nice speakers.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Trems don't matter that much, but if it concerns you it is easy to avoid. Generally, any electric guitar should work.

I really really suggest going to a guitar store and trying some out before committing to anything. Buying blind is a surefire way to get something you will hate, and likely will diminish your interest in continuing. Feel and comfort are two of the most important things when buying a guitar, doubly so for a beginner. Ideally you want something that is setup decently, i.e.: the string height and intonation are good. Fair warning, you do tend to get what you pay for, at least in the sub $300 bracket on instruments.

Rocksmith wise: you need a cable, certain copies of the game are bundled with it make sure to read carefully since retailers are often sketchy with that. Latency over HDMI kind of sucks, ideally you want to go out to a sound system directly from the 360.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

kalensc posted:

This is on special via PSN this week, and after years of RB3 I'd like to take the plunge with a real guitar, but I wanted to be sure of a few things before I made the purchase.

I know that I'll need to get the Real Tone cable separately to play the game, so I suppose I just need to scour some online shops for a good deal on the official version?

And any basic six-string electric guitar will work with the game yea? I saw the OP mention that tremolo bars and certain variants are to be avoided, is that still accurate?

Lastly my home setup is simple and the sound is direct from the TV, occasionally via headphones. Are there certain calibration issues I should be aware of beforehand, or should it be fine if RB3 worked fine all this time?

Thanks!

The cost of the cable + game is usually as much as the cost of the cable by itself, so just get the cable + game off amazon or whatever.

Any guitar will do fine as long as it can stay in tune for awhile (IE not a complete piece of poo poo bought from walmart) Trems ain't bad and for certain songs you're even gonna want to be able to go to town on the whammy bar, but the reason people caution is because it can gently caress with the tuning pretty fast and then your notes won't be detected. Locking trems allow you to get around that for the most part, but locking trems are also a huge pain in the rear end to change tunings (which lots of songs require) and isn't good for new players overall.

If you got a basic Fender Strat with a one-way trem it would be fine, wouldn't create any issues unless you started dive bombing like crazy, and you'd just have to re-tune if you did.

Don't break the bank on a fancy guitar if you're just getting started, but don't get a piece of poo poo either. Can't go wrong with a cheap Fender Strat or whatever, just stay away from garbage no-name brands. If you want advise please ask here or in the guitar thread, lots of guitars offer different features and appeal to different styles and as a newbie you may not know what to look for. And we love to chat about that poo poo all day.

Calibration issues shouldn't be a problem and if they are the game has settings to allow you to mitigate some delay and whatever. Its cool.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Neat, thanks for all the info! I can pick up the game on PSN for $15 instead of the usual $60 and the cable alone for $50ish, looks to be a good $30+ off the cheapest package that Amazon has to offer. Then I'll be borrowing a guitar to start rather than buying one, but I'll def check out the guitar thread down the line if I decide to invest in my own.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
There are packs at music stores that have a guitar and amp for roughly $150-250 that are a decent beginner AND give you an amp to practice on outside of the game. Make sure to ask whoever's working the store and they should hopefully be knowledgeable and play themselves. Guitar Center is iffy but if you don't have a local store to hit up they'll work.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

There are packs at music stores that have a guitar and amp for roughly $150-250 that are a decent beginner AND give you an amp to practice on outside of the game. Make sure to ask whoever's working the store and they should hopefully be knowledgeable and play themselves. Guitar Center is iffy but if you don't have a local store to hit up they'll work.

Frankly I have found the total opposite. Beginner guitar packs are a total gamble as far as quality goes and how they are setup. Not to mention Guitar center is usually cheaper and you can actually try whatever you want out.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

kalensc posted:

Neat, thanks for all the info! I can pick up the game on PSN for $15 instead of the usual $60 and the cable alone for $50ish, looks to be a good $30+ off the cheapest package that Amazon has to offer. Then I'll be borrowing a guitar to start rather than buying one, but I'll def check out the guitar thread down the line if I decide to invest in my own.

Borrowed guitar is a good idea to start. If you're new to the instrument, you're not even going to know what you're looking for when trying the feel on an instrument in a store.

The first electric guitar I ever played was my dad's '61 Stratocaster so literally every guitar I've played in my life since has been not as good. :(

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

unlawfulsoup posted:

Frankly I have found the total opposite. Beginner guitar packs are a total gamble as far as quality goes and how they are setup. Not to mention Guitar center is usually cheaper and you can actually try whatever you want out.

We haven't had packs in for two years now since we dropped Fender so I can't vouch for quality now. And I meant GC is more likely to have some idiot high schooler they just hired than an experienced musician, at least that's how the one here has been. Also haven't been in there since they opened so maybe they got new management/employees.

Either way you're doing a good thing borrowing. Assuming they have it set up properly and have taken care of it you'll be able to gauge how much you like playing but I bet it's going to be a lot.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

unlawfulsoup posted:

For a beginner, if you're cool with taking the Internet plunge, rondomusic.com is great, everything's cheap and ships decently set up for you. Most of my 1000+ hours in Rocksmith were with my trusty SX bass.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Oooh, Queensryche three pack this week. Interesting.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
I don't care how bad this bass is for low notes, I picked up the Dethklok pack and have zero regrets

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...
Yamaha pacificas are good guitars for beginners that are relatively cheap and don't sound like crap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

spamman posted:

Oooh, Queensryche three pack this week. Interesting.

confirmed songs "Eyes of a Stranger" and I checked on Sony EU and it looks like "Jet City Woman" is in