Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Reason posted:

has the viaduct come down yet

Sitting a stones throw from it right now, I haven't heard or felt anything yet. When they were hammering pylons for the sea wall I definitely felt it in my building on the 6th floor, so I'm wondering if I'll feel Bertha get stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
You will feel it

In your wallet :v:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ElCondemn posted:

Sitting a stones throw from it right now, I haven't heard or felt anything yet. When they were hammering pylons for the sea wall I definitely felt it in my building on the 6th floor, so I'm wondering if I'll feel Bertha get stuck.

please periscope when it crumbles to dust

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
On a not-regional politics tangent for a moment, this weekend's weather was great for un-gooning and going outside.

I spent some time up hiking ZigZag canyon and Lolo Pass Road. There was still a couple spots with snow on the ground, though if it's there through next weekend I'll be amazed.

Got some great phone photos of Mt. Hood from there.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Street vacation, a critical requirement for Chris Hansen's planned SODO NBA/NHL arena, fails with a vote of 5 to 4 against.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

koreban posted:

On a not-regional politics tangent for a moment, this weekend's weather was great for un-gooning and going outside.

I spent some time up hiking ZigZag canyon and Lolo Pass Road. There was still a couple spots with snow on the ground, though if it's there through next weekend I'll be amazed.

Got some great phone photos of Mt. Hood from there.

The only Lolo Pass I know is in Montana though?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Mrit posted:

Because that would eliminate any chance for lesser known figures to get national exposure. See: Barack Obama and Bernie Sanders.

Follow Up: Why can't the order in which states vote change from year to year?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

glowing-fish posted:

The only Lolo Pass I know is in Montana though?

Heh. I grew up in Missoula and I make this joke all the time. It gets less funny every time. Interested in how other Portland people voted in the local races? I'm leaning heavily to Ianarrone for mayor. Duke and Eudaly over Fritz and Novick for council, I think. That said, I'm open to any strong opinions for other candidates. But I've been really busy at work the last few months and kind of thought I could research and make a solid decision at the last minute, which seems to be pretty difficult to do. In the past, I've always just compared the Mercury and WWeek and worked it out based on their write-ups/endorsements, but I'm trying to be more thoughtful this year.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Follow Up: Why can't the order in which states vote change from year to year?
States choose on their own when to hold their primaries, and Iowa and New Hampshire kept winning a game of chicken where they say "try to schedule earlier than us, and we'll bump ours up. How early do you want to push the primary season?" New Hampshire literally has a law that their primary takes place at least a week before any other non-caucus primary. I think the parties are trying to clamp down on this, but it probably will only go far enough to prevent the primaries from spilling into the previous year. They don't have the guts to endure NH and Iowa's hissy fits if they take their toys away.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I guess that makes sense on a practical level of how our government works. I can't think of any other reason for Iowa to exist so it's cool that they have that going for them.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Gerund posted:

Street vacation, a critical requirement for Chris Hansen's planned SODO NBA/NHL arena, fails with a vote of 5 to 4 against.

I read through Sonics Rising and the meltdown they're having is hilarious. They're super upset that all 5 women in SCC voted against it.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Ditocoaf posted:

States choose on their own when to hold their primaries, and Iowa and New Hampshire kept winning a game of chicken where they say "try to schedule earlier than us, and we'll bump ours up. How early do you want to push the primary season?" New Hampshire literally has a law that their primary takes place at least a week before any other non-caucus primary. I think the parties are trying to clamp down on this, but it probably will only go far enough to prevent the primaries from spilling into the previous year. They don't have the guts to endure NH and Iowa's hissy fits if they take their toys away.

I don't understand this last part myself - why in the gently caress do the parties care about Iowa and New Hampshire? They could easily say "if you hold your primary/caucus before X then your delegates won't count".

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Solkanar512 posted:

I don't understand this last part myself - why in the gently caress do the parties care about Iowa and New Hampshire? They could easily say "if you hold your primary/caucus before X then your delegates won't count".

Pretty sure this has happened when other states have tried to leapfrog the early states. None of it makes any sense.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
More good news: The supreme court rejected the challenge to minimum wage in Seattle!

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

Just another reason to celebrate the death of scalia.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Thats good news?

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Scalia was a defender of liberty, good job celebrating his death

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

I celebrate Scalia's death every day, in every waking moment. It is a reminder that good things can happen, and life can get better. :unsmith:

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

on the streets of portland the day scalia was finally vanquished

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Thats good news?

Yes.

No.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

We're not celebrating his death, we are celebrating the end of his lifetime appointment.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

beefnoodle posted:

We're not celebrating his death, we are celebrating the end of his lifetime appointment.

Actually I celebrated his death fwiw

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I felt a glimmer of hope in my heart the day I heard Scalia died.

I'm very glad about the min wage ruling. I lived off 9 an hour here and I can't really call it living.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

gohuskies posted:

yeah same

BuckT.Trend
Apr 22, 2003

My god, it's full of stars!
Minute by minute updates, sort of:

http://hastheviaductcollapsedyet.com

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Lol

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

I feel like part of it is the status quo is a lot better than a lot of other alternatives could be. The democratic primary system, IIRC, scales number of delegates to where you are in the process so there's a tradeoff being getting to vet candidates vs proportionally having more say, so there's a good chance that a fight to be an early state would result in everyone at the very start and then california on the other end having the power to singlehandedly decide the candidate.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

As well you should have.

Guy is a shitstain on American history.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

gohuskies posted:

Same. I smiled for like a whole week just due to remembering that that fuckstick was dead.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
I'm glad Scalia lived long enough to see marriage equality become the law of the land. Aside from that though the world would have been a better place without him in it.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

As well you should have.

Guy is a shitstain on American history.

* was

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Oh no, he was right to use "is" - the man may be dead in body, but his legacy will live on for many years in the form of judicial precedents. He's got decades of loving with progress left in him.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

xrunner posted:

Heh. I grew up in Missoula and I make this joke all the time. It gets less funny every time. Interested in how other Portland people voted in the local races? I'm leaning heavily to Ianarrone for mayor. Duke and Eudaly over Fritz and Novick for council, I think. That said, I'm open to any strong opinions for other candidates. But I've been really busy at work the last few months and kind of thought I could research and make a solid decision at the last minute, which seems to be pretty difficult to do. In the past, I've

always just compared the Mercury and WWeek and worked it out based on their write-ups/endorsements, but I'm trying to be more thoughtful this year.

Not a joke: I really don't know another Lolo Pass.

I think I met Chloe Eudaly 20 years ago at Reading Frenzy...it's kind of weird to think about the "weird zine kids" growing up and running serious campaigns.

Although I don't know how "serious" her campaign is seen overall. It's certainly a big deal amongst my Facebook friends.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

glowing-fish posted:

Not a joke: I really don't know another Lolo Pass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolo_Pass_(Oregon)

It's a decent drive/hike and some of the campgrounds and marked hiking trails at the top of it are fantastic fun. Downside: it runs right along the bonneville power lines, so there are those alongside the road most of the way up, and the left side of the road is the Bull Run watershed area and basically you can't go there.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Same. I smiled for like a whole week just due to remembering that that fuckstick was dead.
Speaking of fucksticks blocking progress, write your congressman about passing the KHSA and KBRA, PacifiCorps has been begging for someone to take those four dams off their hands so they can be safely removed for easily a decade, and the only thing stopping it being effected is lack of action by our elected representatives.

If you're interested I can provide a buttload of info on it after writing a research paper on the effects of sediment re-release on watersheds after the last few dam removals in the US.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Sorry, Clark County. https://twitter.com/theriaultpdx/status/728333119166644224

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Vancouver is perfect Trump country.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

coyo7e posted:

Speaking of fucksticks blocking progress, write your congressman about passing the KHSA and KBRA, PacifiCorps has been begging for someone to take those four dams off their hands so they can be safely removed for easily a decade, and the only thing stopping it being effected is lack of action by our elected representatives.

If you're interested I can provide a buttload of info on it after writing a research paper on the effects of sediment re-release on watersheds after the last few dam removals in the US.

If you made an effort-post, I'd read it.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
The pacific northwest thread is full of retarded californians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The pacific northwest thread is full of retarded californians

so is the pacific northwest unfortunately

• Locked thread