Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

TeenageArchipelago posted:

seriously, if they get a candidate with a quarter ounce of charisma
"if"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

not nearly as many as will vote for her in order to get a second census year blowout. seriously, if they get a candidate with a quarter ounce of charisma they are going to be set in 2020

lol yes this mysterious charismatic republican candidate that totally exists and isn't hosed over by their insane primary system and racist base baggage yup

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Combed Thunderclap posted:

But what about Congress!!?

, is a thing that passed through Hillary's mind at some point about a few decades ago

If I was her I would want a Republican Congress just so I could fight it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Of course, all the charismatic rising starts got carpet bombed by Trump this cycle sooooooo

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

lol yes this mysterious charismatic republican candidate that totally exists and isn't hosed over by their insane primary system and racist base baggage yup

Well, according to the "runner-up" theory...

yes, santorum broke that rule, but it could come back

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

if they get a candidate with a quarter ounce of charisma they are going to be set in 2020

The Donald is the only Republican candidate I've seen in a decade with anything close to charisma and his charisma only works if you're racist

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
maybe this is where Cantor, perennial rising star, makes a comeback only to get killed in the primary by an empty kkk robe/hood

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

maybe this is where Cantor, perennial rising star, makes a comeback only to get killed in the primary by an empty kkk robe/hood

GOP: Age of Paul Ryan

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

https://twitter.com/FullFrontalSamB/status/727668848208564224

https://twitter.com/FullFrontalSamB/status/727673061173014528

:eyepop:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
The Anti Obama could do it for sure. That's about it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

:drat: even I felt these.

Do more :getin:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Everything Sam Bee touches turns to comedy gold

https://twitter.com/kennelco/status/727605083504971776

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6NfRMv-4OY&t=126s

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Epic High Five posted:

Of course, all the charismatic rising starts got carpet bombed by Trump this cycle sooooooo

Oh poo poo, you're right. Trump spend the last several months going scorched earth on any so-called "rising star" the GOP had, didn't he?

There's nothing left. The only thing he didn't do is salt the fields. The GOP was already too weak to keep the B and C-listers from jumping in alongside their rather weak A team and then Trump swept the board. There's only D-listers left for 2020 unless they want to try to run a loser.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

DemeaninDemon posted:

The Anti Obama could do it for sure. That's about it.

The Anti-Obama: a white Muslim born in Africa? Maybe if he beheads a trans queer person of color on live TV, hell... there's a solid path to the GOP nom in 2024 if I've ever heard one.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Alkydere posted:

Oh poo poo, you're right. Trump spend the last several months going scorched earth on any so-called "rising star" the GOP had, didn't he?

There's nothing left. The only thing he didn't do is salt the fields. The GOP was already too weak to keep the B and C-listers from jumping in alongside their rather weak A team and then Trump swept the board. There's only D-listers left for 2020 unless they want to try to run a loser.

Before this cycle the young, up and coming future of the GOP were:

1) Scott Walker, who eliminated himself early on and will never, ever be trusted by financiers again. Huge loser, looks weird
2) Jindal, who...I dunno, he was just kind of around and then he bailed I guess? Total non starter loser
3) Marco Rubio, who lost his home state by a hundred thousand percent and will forever be known as a thirsty little loser
4) Jeb, kind of. He wasn't young but he was being groomed for awhile. Low energy, :sad:
5) I feel like there was a 5th but nobody is coming to mind, the carpet bombing was that effective

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Alkydere posted:

There are still some Rs who have been hiding behind the blast shield this entire election and desperately distancing themselves from the trainwreck.

...I just can't think of any right now, let alone imagine that they're chomping at the bit to get steamrolled by Hillary in 2020 (barring major gently caress-ups during her administration and a massive economic slowdown).

2024 might be a different story but that's looking ahead way too far.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

5) I feel like there was a 5th but nobody is coming to mind, the carpet bombing was that effective
You're forgetting Ben Carson.

So did everyone else, which is why he dropped out ages ago.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Honestly, Ted Cruz could genuinely run in 2020. He's completely unelectable of course, and I doubt he could ever even win the nomination, but he's going to keep his seat and he didn't do anything this cycle to really disqualify himself.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Combed Thunderclap posted:

There are still some Rs who have been hiding behind the blast shield this entire election and desperately distancing themselves from the trainwreck.

...I just can't think of any right now, let alone imagine that they're chomping at the bit to get steamrolled by Hillary in 2020 (barring major gently caress-ups during her administration and a massive economic slowdown).

2024 might be a different story but that's looking ahead way too far.

It's been a while since the recession and the Clintons just seem to constantly attract controversy/shady poo poo, so 2020 is by no means a lock. I'd be more confident about 2016 than 2020.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
remember when carson sacrificed a campaign volunteer to the primary gods but even that couldn't remove his sleep curse

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/PoliticoKevin/status/727656924670533636

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Chantilly Say posted:

The Anti-Obama: a white Muslim born in Africa? Maybe if he beheads a trans queer person of color on live TV, hell... there's a solid path to the GOP nom in 2024 if I've ever heard one.

No, what gopers think Ronald Reagan was.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Asimo posted:

You're forgetting Ben Carson.

So did everyone else, which is why he dropped out ages ago.

Naw he was a rogue outsider who was transparently just there to grift. He raised like 80 million and rolled it all back into even more fundraising, it was masterfully executed.

The truly funny bit is that if he hadn't been swiftboated by the press he would've punched a bunch of holes in the bottom of the SS Trump, because Trump legit did not have an answer for him. Attacks made him look mean and Carson makes Trump look lucid and coherent so word salad assaults also backfired. Trump just silently fumed while Carson overtook him, and without the press taking Carson out it likely would've continued

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Epic High Five posted:

1) Scott Walker, who eliminated himself early on and will never, ever be trusted by financiers again. Huge loser, looks weird
2) Jindal, who...I dunno, he was just kind of around and then he bailed I guess? Total non starter loser
3) Marco Rubio, who lost his home state by a hundred thousand percent and will forever be known as a thirsty little loser
4) Jeb, kind of. He wasn't young but he was being groomed for awhile. Low energy, :sad:

I would have said Jeb was the definitive A-lister. Former governor, supposedly the smart Bush Jr. and had obviously been groomed for this. Everyone assumed that when he didn't make any plays early on it was because he was saving his massive warchest for later destruction but no, it was because he was Jeb. He would have fallen apart on his own likely, but Trump stressed him out and made him disintegrate earlier. It's just that early on, in the pre-Trump days he had all the hype and family backing so everyone assumed he was The Nominee.

B-listers would have generally been the ex-governor club. They have proven experience destroying running governments (don't listen to the liberal lies, their states are doing great! We told you so, and would we lie to you?). They didn't have the grooming and massive warchest the Bush name gave them, but they were all Serious PeopleTM that the GOP could use and the idea of them being actual politicians wasn't laughable no matter how bad they actually were at their jobs. Rubio, Jindal, Walker, Christie, even Perry were all in this already over-saturated group. Idiots, sure, but seeing them on the GOP ticket wasn't laughable.

Then you had the C-Listers. Anyone who shouldn't have been here if the GOP actually had any control of their own political machine. The appearance of people like Carson on the list of Legitimate Presidential Hopeful should have been a giant warning that the GOP had lost control. Instead we laughed because holy poo poo Carson for President? These people should have been promoting Jeb or one of the B-listers, not trying to take their places.

And Trump destroyed all of them (though 3/4ths would have destroyed themselves). Now the GOP, already weak enough it couldn't keep Carson and Fiorina from elbowing their way in, literally has no one. Every one on their "young, up and coming" list and several bystanders are all in the political ICU and will be electorally crippled for the rest of their lives even if they do recover.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Epic High Five posted:

Huckabee is actually fairly charismatic, but he did defend that Duggar kid who had sex with his sister. Then when called on it he didn't stop. Also he hasn't held office for nearly a decade. He's just in it to raise his profile.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

JosefStalinator posted:

It's been a while since the recession and the Clintons just seem to constantly attract controversy/shady poo poo, so 2020 is by no means a lock. I'd be more confident about 2016 than 2020.

You're absolutely right that it's not a lock, but her incumbency means that if nothing changes economically and she's able to avoid any gently caress-ups and ideally deliver even just one big success, just one, it starts looking that way pretty fast. But that's just my opinion. :shrug: (And that's a lot of "if"s)

Alkydere posted:

Every one on their "young, up and coming" list and several bystanders are all in the political ICU and will be electorally crippled for the rest of their lives even if they do recover.

Nikki Haley is one of the people who's been quietly not doing anything other than reacting with revulsion when someone tries to drag her into this year's race/the bathroom policing bullshit.

Her SOTU response revealed her to have Rubio-esque robot qualities, though, so she'd be entertaining.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Rubio was definitely the main guy they were grooming to eventually be the face of the party and win back the Latino vote, but his stock's probably been permanently damaged by all of this probably.

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

God I love an election cycle that essentially ends with Scott loving Walker looking smarter than 95% of the republican field because he bowed out early. Motherfucker probably has his PAC sitting on that warchest for the next election cycle.

I think he was the only actual GOP politician that Trump didn't get a chance to loving clown.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

TheOneOutside posted:

God I love an election cycle that essentially ends with Scott loving Walker looking smarter than 95% of the republican field because he bowed out early. Motherfucker probably has his PAC sitting on that warchest for the next election cycle.

I think he was the only actual GOP politician that Trump didn't get a chance to loving clown.

Remember that Scott Walker was the candidate who wanted to build a wall to protect us from Canada. He clowned himself.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
it would've been pretty good to see what trump did with Walker's "I created my bald spot by hitting my head on a cabinet corner" also his loving ham and cheese lunches

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Epic High Five posted:

They still have the jingoistic rear end in a top hat Tom Cotton.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

it would've been pretty good to see what trump did with Walker's "I created my bald spot by hitting my head on a cabinet corner" also his loving ham and cheese lunches

I like that he grew up thinking TBI was just a bald spot on the brain.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Yeah I'm not willing to bet on party coherence before 2018 by then we will know if the GOP has enough Eldritch magic to be serious in 2020 or if it's going to be economic populism eating away at the Clinton Presidency.

If she's smart she'll make sure a populist doesn't seem needed in 2020

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

And yet as terrible as Walker is, none of those things are going to be easily recalled by the electorate in four years, because all they'll remember is the trump rampage through everyone else.

Scott Walker is a moron. He was still smarter than most of the other clown posse.

I cannot loving wait for the Toxx thread this year.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TheOneOutside posted:

And yet as terrible as Walker is, none of those things are going to be easily recalled by the electorate in four years, because all they'll remember is the trump rampage through everyone else.

Scott Walker is a moron. He was still smarter than most of the other clown posse.

I cannot loving wait for the Toxx thread this year.

I somehow doubt even the Immortans and whoever elses pumping trump have $10 worth of conviction behind their gimmicks.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Scott Walker in 2020 would need the help of substantial economic collapse. Like worse than 2008. Hilldogg could rebuff the austerity bullshit he shills well by simply pointing to various states turned to poo poo like Kansas in any other case.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
I look forward to Hillary campaign events with Barack, Bernie, Biden and Bill at them

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I look forward to Hillary campaign events with Barack, Bernie, Biden, and Bill at them

They should do an empty chair thing like :clint: except have it be an empty spraytan booth instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

• Locked thread