Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Get Chromebooks with the Citrix Receiver plug-in!

Blam! Best of both worlds!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

xzzy posted:

This term makes me all eye twitchy. My workplace has taken to using it for everything, to the point that the word "production" doesn't even exist anymore.
Start pronouncing it g-olive

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've been thinking of just making it a single word pronounced "golive" like olive with a g in front of it. Or maybe that's what you were saying.

But I'm afraid it would catch on.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

You need to say it like Gollum saying his name. It's ga-olive.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I don't think we, as a society, will ever truly decide once and for all whether it's a hard g or a soft g.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
It's pronounced "jiff" hth

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
and "jib"

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

I think you'll find it's pronounced 'gaypeg'.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Pissing me off: I'm trying to sign up for sessions at a conference for which I'm already registered.

Their webpage:

:v: Please enter your Registration Number. [Includes link to "I forgot my Registration Number]
I use the link.
Email arrives with "Registration Confirmation Number" (which is a string of letters).
I go back to the page.
:v: Please enter your Registration Number.
I enter the Registration Confirmation Number
:v: Please enter your Confirmation Number [Includes link to "I forgot my Confirmation Number]
I use the link.
The same email arrives with "Registration Confirmation Number" (which is a string of letters).
I go back to the page.
:v: Please enter your Registration Number.
:v: Please enter your Confirmation Number
:v: Refreshes the screen and does nothing.

Who loving designs this bullshit and gets paid for it? I'm in the wrong business...

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

anthonypants posted:

I don't think we, as a society, will ever truly decide once and for all whether it's a hard g or a soft g.

The guy who invented it pronounces it soft because it's a pun on "in a jiffy" because he's a total Dad Joke.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

fishmech posted:

The guy who invented it pronounces it soft because it's a pun on "in a jiffy" because he's a total Dad Joke.

So is Graphics Interchange Format a backronym? Because if not... :colbert:

And ultimately, does what the creator intended count? We know how well that worked out for SCSI.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Well, we just need to start pronouncing it "Juraffics"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

flosofl posted:

And ultimately, does what the creator intended count? We know how well that worked out for SCSI.

Or mysql. Their site currently has a line about "we don't mind if you pronounce it 'my sequel'" but it wasn't always that way.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
How else would you pronounce mysql?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They want you to spell out the 'sql' part.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Gounads posted:

How else would you pronounce mysql?

I've heard it Squirrel, and Squall in addition to the more common Sequel when people don't just want to say Es Que El.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
poo poo pissing me off: Working on my birthday.

gently caress.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

pixaal posted:

I've heard it Squirrel, and Squall in addition to the more common Sequel when people don't just want to say Es Que El.

Here in Ohio we just call it "pop"

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I refer to it as "Probably pretty hosed".

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

pixaal posted:

The mysql people call it My-Sequel.

So Sequel it is. :colbert:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

To make it more confusing there's report software called Sequel

http://www.helpsystems.com/sequel

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Here in Ohio we just call it "pop"

In Alabama they also call it "brother"

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

DigitalMocking posted:

poo poo pissing me off: Working on my birthday.

gently caress.

Happy Birthday!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

xzzy posted:

This term makes me all eye twitchy. My workplace has taken to using it for everything, to the point that the word "production" doesn't even exist anymore.

I mean... we're literally turning on the service for customer to use, aka going live, the stuff will be IN production already.

*edit* this wasn't only directed at you, it was also directed at whomever else mentioned something about it.

Typically when I see Go-live, that means poo poo is getting turned on/customer gets access to it, not necessarily that we are moving everything into production that day, poo poo should already be in the production environment, I would think that situation would be more of "we are releasing to production today".

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug
poo poo pissing me off: Verizon Strike / Storms / Possible Sabotage:

Verizon Internet Support posted:

UPDATE CUST activity added to master ticket ---- on 2016-05-03 14:27:42 by ETMS ADMIN.
Status --- Verizon's transport team reports the Cox Communications fiber team has narrowed down the issue within two miles of a 120 count fiber span in Norfolk, VA. Technicians are now trouble shooting fiber from the last closure point on this span to further isolate. Cox has also advised that they do not have any spare fiber available to repair...

Only a couple clients affected, but I know people are pisssssed right now.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

MF_James posted:

I mean... we're literally turning on the service for customer to use, aka going live, the stuff will be IN production already.

*edit* this wasn't only directed at you, it was also directed at whomever else mentioned something about it.

Typically when I see Go-live, that means poo poo is getting turned on/customer gets access to it, not necessarily that we are moving everything into production that day, poo poo should already be in the production environment, I would think that situation would be more of "we are releasing to production today".

:hfive: buddy who understands the difference between "move to production" and "go live".

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Ynglaur posted:

:hfive: buddy who understands the difference between "move to production" and "go live".

stuff is hard. I think the big problem is that people constantly misuse terminology, or the terminology outright just doesn't have a set "meaning", which just causes confusion for everyone and makes people loathe when they hear phrases/words.

But going back to my original plight w/r/t go-live date, life sucks already, I put in 14 hours yesterday, 4-6 of which was collecting info/organizing what we have and don't have etc, so I can coordinate vendors and yell at them for wasting days worth of time over the past year doing nothing, something something heads will roll if this poo poo isn't done (likely true although it's mostly posturing since I'm just a contractor for our client, but the president of the company said in no uncertain terms that this is a priority 0 item and it NEEDS to hit the target date). So much to do still and so little time to do it. I'm confident that we WILL hit the target date, I'm somewhat worried that there will be bugs/issues that we still need to resolve that, had this project been run properly and timely goals set, we would have found out about weeks ago and already resolved.

pretty sure that's coherent.. I dunno, I'm tired and really angry.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 3, 2016

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Happy Birthday!

Thank you.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
I'm really, REALLY hating sales people over the last couple weeks...like, I want to find the rear end in a top hat sales guy who left recently and didn't divulge client information, then beat him within an inch of his stupid life.

Idiot sales guy set up some kind of Google calendar sync for a client who wanted to book conference rooms and have it push to everyone so they know what is/isn't available. Instead of asking engineers for help or asking vendors for info, he ended up diving into a project and making promises to the client that we and the vendors can't support. ISG starts diving into an issue with a Google Calendar connector and a separate third party connector that's supposed to distribute meetings out as they're made. Unfortunately, the third party connector doesn't work with the Google connector, a Google rep came out and stated flatly that "third party connector can't handle distributing the meetings and Google doesn't support it". Contacted the vendor for the third party connector, and surprise - they don't support the Google connector, so there's no resolution.

Problem is, ISG didn't try to find ANY of this out ahead of time and started trying to engineer poo poo to work, when he's not a loving engineer. We had to go through ISG's email after he left because he didn't forward anything to us and didn't bother to tell us he was working on anything for this client. Now we've got an understandably frustrated and agitated client who didn't like the emails I forwarded from both Google and the other third party vendor that essentially said "sorry, we don't support this, can't help you".

I. loving. LOATHE. Salespeople. Especially ones that think they're smarter than they are, and get engineers caught up in a bunch of bullshit with clients while simultaneously evading responsibility for it.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Before my previous supervisor left, he had working on getting a 10gig connection between our 2 data centers. We currently have a 1 gig link, but that can be saturated during replication and backups and upgrading our 1gig to a 10g will only cost 2x as getting another 1g link. So, the plan was set in motion, but we had to wait on Charter to finish their end of the install. During this time, my supervisor was saying that the MX104 could encrypt the traffic before sending it across the line. Before he left, he said that the config was ready and we were just waiting on some licenses and it would be good.

Last week we finally caught up on stuff and my coworker was looking into the router and opened a case with Juniper support to ask if this MX104 could actually do this, and how we'd set it up. The tech said that what we had wouldn't, but if we put in a switching module it probably could. Or, we could add a license to a couple of our switches to enable MacSec. We get the quote in today, and it will cost $27,000 dollars. Which is going to be a hard sell as the previous manager had told everyone that the feature is cheap.

To add a cherry to the poo poo sundae, we have to upgrade all of our core switches, and we don't have a maintenance window this weekend due to an existing project happening. So now we are going to upgrade to a 10gig link, then plug in all of our 1g poo poo into it until we have time to upgrade everything.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Ozz81 posted:

I. loving. LOATHE. Salespeople. Especially ones that think they're smarter than they are, and get engineers caught up in a bunch of bullshit with clients while simultaneously evading responsibility for it.

Agreed it's it commonly appears to me that many organizations value sales over development or IT. We are all equals.

On another note, is Microsoft ever going to address MAX_PATH? With OneDrive and the continuation of communication between Windows and Linux I don't see how this can continue to last.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

On another note, is Microsoft ever going to address MAX_PATH? With OneDrive and the continuation of communication between Windows and Linux I don't see how this can continue to last.

The logistics of a proper fix for MAX_PATH is insane, you have 30 years worth of software with hard buffer length assumptions.
The kernel does support very long paths and applications can use them, but need to call the API differently. Good library support for that would go 80% of the way to make new applications support arbitrary path lengths, but old software and 3rd-party libraries would still have all the problems.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
poo poo pissing me off: Zero effort troubleshooting by someone on another team who then tries to dump his poo poo on me.

Other poo poo pissing me off, if I give you an answer you don't like you don't go around shopping for a different answer.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Other poo poo pissing me off, if I give you an answer you don't like you don't go around shopping for a different answer.
"Would you like a second opinion? You are also ugly."

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

flosofl posted:

Is JPEG jay-peg or jay-pheg?

The pronunciations of the words in an acronym don't impact the pronunciation of the acronym.

Sprechensiesexy posted:

I was so happy yesterday when my boss stood behind me when a vendor did this. The vendor even claimed I was "mean" and "unhelpful" just because I wasn't going to involve us in his cargo cult attempt at a fix.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Sprechensiesexy posted:

poo poo pissing me off: Zero effort troubleshooting by someone on another team who then tries to dump his poo poo on me.

Oh man, this destroys me - had a client do this to me last week after asking about a couple slow booting PCs (they were Win8.1 and for some reason took 10-15 minutes to fully boot to the login screen). I was in the middle of doing other more important project work with servers/firewalls so I sent him a quick message about checking startup items, running a disk check, using diagnostics and looking at event logs for issues. No response back so I figure he's working on the problems.

NOPE. Went in today to hook up data ports in the server room, his boss comes to me flustered asking why these other PCs are still booting slow, and nobody's done anything. I forwarded him the email from the previous week that I sent to his "support" guy and reiterated that he didn't respond at all. Meanwhile the support doofus is sitting at one of their check-out stations for laptops...playing loving Minecraft while all these problem PCs are sitting around with "out of service" tags. It was fun watching his stupid rear end get lit up for not doing his job, and even though I sent step-by-step instructions for using diagnostics, checking startup items, and running disk checks/repairs, I stuck around for 10 minutes and literally walked him through everything within 10 minutes. Not sure if he just didn't want to do it (most likely case) or didn't want to ask questions, but either way, I was in the clear and doofus support tech was on his way to a one-on-one meeting with boss man before I left :getin:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's pretty ballsy. I like loving off at work as much as anyone else, but playing video games crosses a line. If you're being a nerd on a forum somewhere at least you can claim you've got a terminal open in the background and are waiting for a command to process. But games? Yeah you got no defense for that one.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

flosofl posted:

Yes it is. He came up with the extension first with how to pronounce it, and then Compuserve, who was paying him to make it, wanted it to stand for something.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

fishmech posted:

Yes it is. He came up with the extension first with how to pronounce it, and then Compuserve, who was paying him to make it, wanted it to stand for something.

Jhra Phics Enterchange Gformat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Oh cool, the scumbag of a desktop tech my boss is protecting for some reason has complained about me enough I'm starting to get blowback. I'm sorry you child abusing piece of poo poo, but I'm still gonna refuse to work with you.