Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Yo unrelated to anything else I'm gonna try and be online tonight and I'll ping you so I can get my Mental Notes back!!! Hope you kicked rear end with them!!!

OK my dude I'm traveling for work but I can try to remote desktop in and ship em back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
The way I heard on the SCG stream this weekend to do infinite scry is: demonstrate the loop where you scry through your deck, scry through your entire deck once with the infinite loop demo, so you don't have to actually go through the entire deck and also that you now know what order it is, then basically put the cards on top of the card you want on the bottom of the library in order, then you're set.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Thisuck posted:

The way I heard on the SCG stream this weekend to do infinite scry is: demonstrate the loop where you scry through your deck, scry through your entire deck once with the infinite loop demo, so you don't have to actually go through the entire deck and also that you now know what order it is, then basically put the cards on top of the card you want on the bottom of the library in order, then you're set.

I always want someone to do this so I can ask them what their life total is afterwards. Better make sure the math checks out!

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Hellsau posted:

So I played the Pro Tour Gauntlet and got the R/W Eldrazi Goggles deck. I had played against it a few times. The deck is totally, unplayably bad and has no good matchups. The Season's Past deck might have some poor matchups and being bad against Company is probably unacceptable and losing to enemy lands is kind of dumb, but at least it beats other control decks. RW Eldrazi Goggles has a few removal spells, a six mana sweeper, and a bunch of air! How is that supposed to beat aggro? It's playing 6 spells that only burn creatures and 3 Fiery Tempers, with no real answer to enemy planeswalkers. How is that supposed to beat control? It's just horrible.

I can deal with a horrible rake to play fun/good decks on the fly. Paying to pray to avoid the 3-4 decks that are significantly worse than the other decks is just miserable. Going 1-2, 2-1 and 3-0 and losing points is really stupid when you can get stuck with some dumb bullshit like Sultai Midrange or RW Eldrazi Goggles and just be dead.

After last week's FNM and Saturdays game day I'm put of love with Goggles. It's just not good. I want to kind of go back to UW Skies but I don't feel that it had much gas either.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Anyone going to GP Columbus, particularly driving in from Cleveland on Thursday night?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
edit; double post

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Anyone going to GP Columbus, particularly driving in from Cleveland on Thursday night?

no

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Dashiel_Bad_Horse posted:

quote:

I would just appreciate a play environment where people would do at least the bare minimum to be in a social setting
Look, obviously it's better if we all wear deodorant. But the subtext of asking people to wear deodorant is divisive and elitist. Because when I tell you to wear deodorant, the caveman part of your brain hears: "ooga booga. Me big important. You small. You do what I say or you not in tribe anymore".

quote:

I'm not trying to be denigrating
You're not? Could have fooled me. When you try to act all "polite" and "proper", you're associating yourself with Gentry values like conflict-avoidance and civility. Gentry = high status. By implication, the smelly people are low status. What's worse than calling someone an rear end in a top hat? Telling someone they're not a real member of society. You market your approach as advocating common sense, but you're really waging class warfare. Which I'm in favor of. I just think Gentry values are lame.

See here for an overview. http://slatestarcodex.com/2016/01/30/staying-classy/ Disclaimer, I do not agree with or identify with S. Alexander.

quote:

I would just appreciate a play environment where people would do at least the bare minimum to be in a social setting
Yes me too. I'm the first person to complain about my opponent's breath wafting over from across the table. However, the solution to wage a SJW campaign to get people to wear deodorant is foolhardy and serves only to increase the status of the SJWs spearheading the movement.

Wow Gabi Spartz. Wow she's a girl. Wow she told those guys to use deodorant and she was super nice about it too! Whoops I want her approval how did that happen? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negging

Asking people to wear deodorant: Literally robocop class warfare.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Zemyla posted:

in a game entirely based around spending your hard earned dollaroos to participate, there's an expectation that you have enough money to spend on simply hygiene items. I mean, those things should end up higher on the list of "necessary poo poo to live", right?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Get Old Spice to start sponsoring MTG events/pros. Then everyone will think it's cool to not smell like old jerk-off socks!

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
is there a secret meaning of sjw that i'm not aware of that includes "one who promotes hygiene"

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Lancelot posted:

is there a secret meaning of sjw that i'm not aware of that includes "one who promotes hygiene"

It means "anyone who wants people to act like a reasonable human being." Or at least it does to anyone who uses it unironically.

Sestze posted:

in a game entirely based around spending your hard earned dollaroos to participate, there's an expectation that you have enough money to spend on simply hygiene items. I mean, those things should end up higher on the list of "necessary poo poo to live", right?

How am I supposed to afford 4 Archangel Avacyns AND deodorant?????? Can someone Paypal me money so I can pay rent and drive to GPs???

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Mikujin posted:

Get Old Spice to start sponsoring MTG events/pros. Then everyone will think it's cool to not smell like old jerk-off socks!

Duel Deck: Terry Crews vs Isaiah Mustafa please.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
WOTC's Itchy & Scratchy money is such an rear end in a top hat idea I can't help but appreciate how much it works to gently caress the customer. Play Points aren't worthless at all, but they are functionally worthless if you don't have enough of them to enter a specific event because they don't combine with Event Tickets or product.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

[/quote]

I mean, gently caress you if you think it's classist for me to expect you to have showered and brushed your teeth in the 16 hours before you came to the goddamn nerd store, and keep some deodorant or body spray in your car if you don't have time to shower after doing an activity that will cause you to sweat a lot. If you walk everywhere, put it in the bag you carry your magic poo poo in.

If you have an illness that makes you loving reek, use the stuff anyway. We appreciate it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I'm disappointed there are only 2 cards that make devils in this set.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

bad BO is literally part of the reason i just stopped going to one of my LGS. that and the fact they allowed vaping.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

[/quote]

Back in the dark ages of mtg, iirc just as ice age was being released, I attended a summer time tournament in a boiling hot school gym where you could call the organizer over for two things: water for you, and deodorant for your opponent.

They were simpler times, when stinking like a dead animal wasn't acceptable.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
*thought bubble above my head depicting a scale with Jund on one end and Mono U Turns + "deodorant in 2016" on the other*

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The negging link is the best part :3:
For all the talk our community has about #Value, this guy doesn't get that these gentry values are cool and good. However, let me tell you about why a vanilla */*+1 creature should be worth $100

Mikujin posted:

It would also be nice if we were all built and strong like Terry Crews Jojos so we could pose nicely with our cards but I don't see that happening :(

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Yes and no.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Chill la Chill posted:

It would also be nice if we were all built and strong like Terry Crews Jojos so we could pose nicely with our cards but I don't see that happening :(

As someone who has been to multiple anime conventions over the past few years, let me tell you that that has not stopped a soul

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I'm on vacation and popped in to an lgs on a whim to see if they had any deals or old stuff or whatever, and the people inside were certainly friendly and helpful, but the place loving stank. Way to fulfil the stereotype...

Also that dude who is affronted by being asked to clean up ought to read up on the five geek social fallacies pronto.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Death Bot posted:

As someone who has been to multiple anime conventions over the past few years, let me tell you that that has not stopped a soul

Are you saying there's a community of cut and jacked dudes who pose with their favorite cards Jojo-style? Cuz that's p cool and good!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Chill la Chill posted:

Are you saying there's a community of cut and jacked dudes who pose with their favorite cards Jojo-style? Cuz that's p cool and good!

All I'm thinking about now is Joseph Joestar posing with a grip of Ball Lightning.

Its a wonderful thought.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Count Bleck posted:

All I'm thinking about now is Joseph Joestar posing with a grip of Ball Lightning.

Its a wonderful thought.
ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA

ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Pucatrade: worth it? I don't want to be the guy with 100000 points if/when the site goes belly up. How quickly do you get the cards you're after? Should I get the uncommon/rate account upgrades? Are the prices pretty spot on?

The alternative is buylist cards and use the cash to buy my wants, but there's a pretty big difference between buylist and retail. I'm guessing the appeal of pucatrade is that it gets rid of that inequality.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Molybdenum posted:

Pucatrade: worth it? I don't want to be the guy with 100000 points if/when the site goes belly up. How quickly do you get the cards you're after? Should I get the uncommon/rate account upgrades? Are the prices pretty spot on?

The alternative is buylist cards and use the cash to buy my wants, but there's a pretty big difference between buylist and retail. I'm guessing the appeal of pucatrade is that it gets rid of that inequality.

Its a lot less worth it than it used to be. Keep in mind that the points are worth about 70 cent on the dollar and continuing to go down.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Count Bleck posted:

Its a wonderful thought.

But Joseph's already in MtG?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA

ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA

toki wo tomare!

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Molybdenum posted:

I think it's nice for Standard where the turn around is pretty quick. Other formats much less so. I try to keep my points fairly low though. I haven't felt the need to upgrade from the basic version for putting together standard decks.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Molybdenum posted:

It's a cool way to pick up pauper and cube cards but it can be slow to get staple cards and some ppl are real dickheads about condition.

Nobody knows when the bottom is going to drop out though so don't keep many points in the bank.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

$10-20 stuff usually gets shipped out at a reasonable rate. $40+ stuff can take quite a while since most people want to turn chaff to gold. Trying to get mine lower after trading a few bigger cards off but no one wants to send me Swords.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Puca also makes their money by selling points so they are strongly incentivized to devalue their currency. Enabling trades like that is a good idea but seems like a fundamentally unsustainable system.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Use pucatrade to get rid of chaff you won't miss, turn said chaff into a few decent playable cards before your points are worth nothing.

Pucatrade's not going to last forever because of how poorly buyers and sellers are protected from one another and the method of monetization inherently makes each new purchase from them have less worth than the last.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Molybdenum posted:

Everyone is trying to turn their random junk into fetches/snapcasters/whatever. Expensive out-of-print staples take a long time to get but everything else moves very quickly. The most expensive stuff I've gotten from there is a playset of blood moons, which took ~3 weeks. I just built a pauper deck though and I got 95% of the cards right away.

Upgrading your account is pretty much only good for getting foils and offering bounties instead of having to wait for someone to pick your name out of the other 100 people looking for stuff that's very in-demand.

It's definitely better value than trade-ins if you're looking to turn your cards into other cards. I would be very careful about leaving a lot of points in it though, their economic model is not sustainable and it is going to implode some day unless they actually do something about inflation.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Exactly the opposite lmao

Though I do have a few friends who were convinced to shave off a little flab for the poses, so I guess anime did a little good this time :v:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Magic Story report: Thalia leaves Thraben because Inquisition, comes back with evidence that one of the bishops is working for Ormendahl and gets thrown in jail. She gets broken out by odric and they run off somewhere to prepare to maybe oppose the church.

It was actually a decent read

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I got a playset of Snapcasters off Puca :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Death Bot posted:

*thought bubble above my head depicting a scale with Jund on one end and Mono U Turns + "deodorant in 2016" on the other*

You jest but I played against a dude with Mono U Turns a couple weeks ago and he smelled fine (also I beat him in like ten minutes lol)

• Locked thread