Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I figured out what equipment racks are for: storing artillery shells next to your mortars. The mortars are trash though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If you have enough mortars you can really tear apart any group that wants to prepare for a bit, or sieges, but they're so inaccurate they're hard to rely on.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

Azhais posted:

If you have enough mortars you can really tear apart any group that wants to prepare for a bit, or sieges, but they're so inaccurate they're hard to rely on.

I usually keep 2 mortars and an inferno mortar (the later for lighting the inside of poison/psychic ship bunkers that i build on fire when rain inevitably comes right after i spring the trap. (this has happened 4 times in my last game).

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Sage Grimm posted:

Because your silver operates as your cash instead of a resource to be bought and sold? Unless you somehow had $0 when you tried to trade, in which case is your trade beacon hooked into your power?

I've had this problem as well, so it's not a unique issue. I've got plenty of cash on hand to trade with trade caravans, but when I trade with a passing spaceship,my silver appears zeroed out. I don't understand it, since I've got stacks and stacks.of the stuff in a stockpile zone under a powered beacon.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Katsuma posted:

I've had this problem as well, so it's not a unique issue. I've got plenty of cash on hand to trade with trade caravans, but when I trade with a passing spaceship,my silver appears zeroed out. I don't understand it, since I've got stacks and stacks.of the stuff in a stockpile zone under a powered beacon.

Glad to see I'm not the only one. Tynan know of this bug?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
By silver appears zeroed out do you mean you can't drag silver over to traders? Because silver is automatically traded now. You just have to select the item you want and hit ok now.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
This game! I've been playing self-enforced hardcore, where I just take the RNG, good or bad, and run with it. I suppose I could tick the little box in options, but the game is just so loving compelling this way, I'm not even tempted to load after disasters.

Late last night I gave up on my idyllic beach home, after 'rescuing' a new colonist. I'm sure you know this story.

Turns out the person I think I'm rescuing is a 76-year-old woman with minor Alzheimers and heart problems. 'Wiggins' wandered away from home, and now I'm forced to... *ahem* ...forcefully explain to her seven bow-wielding compatriots that she's better staying with us, now.

Pippin and Thrado die almost immediately from the hail of arrows. They were the two who could shoot. My remaining melee warriors run around in a blob for awhile, slaughtering the enemy liberating our new elderly colonist. Despite a lot of arrow wounds to knees, everyone pulls through and heals up thanks to our dutiful janitor/backup doctor, Barbara.

I call her Barb. Barb is the new leader, she can hold us together. While everyone sleeps, the night owl Barb cleans the blood, sweeps everyone's rooms, carries on building projects. She doesn't get to actually sleep with her husband, Abram, due to their schedules, but seems happy with the (excellent) wooden double bed she made for them.

But Barb is horribly unhappy.

I notice too late that I forgot one critical zoning change. As a result, Barb has been making nightly treks across the map to the morgue. She is such a hard worker, and I never even noticed she had been sweeping out the morgue every night since The Great Battle.

Wiggins is dazed, and wandering (a common state for her). Barb has had enough of this useless woman; She loses it.

Barb Goes Berserk.

Using the Plasteel Knife, in The Courtyard, Barbara Knight - night owl, janitor, animal-lover - murdered Wiggins. I don't blame her.

Next time: how to lose a colony in the first week to rabid squirrels and rampant infection!

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
We survived invasions from The Murderour Organization.
We pulled through the poison rain and the starvation that came as a result of it.
When the aliens came? We burned them to cinders and looted the remains.

... then a herd of deer decided enough was enough.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

By silver appears zeroed out do you mean you can't drag silver over to traders? Because silver is automatically traded now. You just have to select the item you want and hit ok now.

Nah, I mean the game treats my colony's wallet as empty when I trade with spaceships. I can buy tgings no problem from trade caravans. But if I try to buy even the smallest, cheapest quantity of anything from a passing spaceship, the trade window will say I have Zero silver up the top, and will say "your colony cannot afford this trade,"and despite me having stacks of thousands of silver in a trade stockpile under the umbrella of a powered orbital beacon.

Forgive my typos. Posting from a phone is awkward.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Katsuma posted:

Nah, I mean the game treats my colony's wallet as empty when I trade with spaceships. I can buy tgings no problem from trade caravans. But if I try to buy even the smallest, cheapest quantity of anything from a passing spaceship, the trade window will say I have Zero silver up the top, and will say "your colony cannot afford this trade,"and despite me having stacks of thousands of silver in a trade stockpile under the umbrella of a powered orbital beacon.

Forgive my typos. Posting from a phone is awkward.

Post lots and lots of screenshots showing everything.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I like a whole bunch of things in this release but wow, gut worms and muscle parasites are not cool at all. The higher frequency of raids, eh I dunno, I'm a bit on the fence about that right now. It does feel like the pace of the game is somewhat less steady and predictable, which isn't totally a bad thing.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Yeah on the other hand it means if you don't make Fort Knox by default you will get completely hosed by strings of raids followed by manhunter packs after you recruit one prisoner too many for the game's liking, at least on Cassandra Classic.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oh no you get those even if you don't recruit anybody :shrug:

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

By the by, with the "recruit a pawn but a raid comes with it" events, if the pawn isn't to your liking you can just draft them and force them to stand by where they entered. Their raid pursuers will down them and then decide to abduct them, and your colony won't even take a mood malus.

The only way this can backfire is if they accidentally kill the person, in which case they'll behave like a normal raid.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Mental note: butchering humanlikes turns out to have some real consequences now

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Yeah on the other hand it means if you don't make Fort Knox by default you will get completely hosed by strings of raids followed by manhunter packs after you recruit one prisoner too many for the game's liking, at least on Cassandra Classic.

It really should be in the OP that if you don't want strings of awful raids play using the Randy Random storyteller.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Geokinesis posted:

It really should be in the OP that if you don't want strings of awful raids play using the Randy Random storyteller.

It's feels odd that the storyteller touted as hard mode by the dev is also the most reasonable one.

Tynan has always had this weird hard on for making situations that can't be prevented because 'it adds to the drama'. Losing my colony because my power grid exploded while fighting off three consecutive raids isn't dramatic it's just annoying. Thank god for mods that add basic stuff like fuses. :(

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The second word in power grid should nudge you towards a solution dealing with shorts, since they blow up only a single segment instead of multiple. :science:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah for the first time I'm trying Randy Random and it's a lot less brutal, I've been doing Cassandra on Rough (the middle difficulty) and if you can't capture a bunch of tribals and release them to stop them raiding you they just keep piling up until ~Drama~ happens :shrug:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Danaru posted:

It's feels odd that the storyteller touted as hard mode by the dev is also the most reasonable one.

Well it is because Tynan's version of the game differs greatly from the player-base in regards to the ending. He intends everyone to build up their colony purely as a means to building a spaceship to leave the planet, so the standard AI is meant to be a steadily increasing threat you beat by flying off, or die trying.

The player-base (mainly) wants to build sweet colonies and manage them like DF with no set endgame so Randy AI is just a better fit.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I tried playing the Glitter Tech mod, wouldn't recommend. The first crashed AI ship that came down had a tank in it, with a rapid fire, longer-than-sniper range inferno cannon.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

The second word in power grid should nudge you towards a solution dealing with shorts, since they blow up only a single segment instead of multiple. :science:

The big pain in the rear end with the power grid event isn't a short/lack of power to various buildings, it's the explosion and fire. My personal solution is to only build like 4 batteries, which is fine for me because I don't like to build turrets.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I really liked Glittertech's whole "super expensive but super powerful" schtick until the creator decided his invulnerable commando squad needed to be as numerous as tribals and nearly impossible to even damage, so if you're unlucky and they're hostile to you, you're doomed the first time they attack.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

The big pain in the rear end with the power grid event isn't a short/lack of power to various buildings, it's the explosion and fire. My personal solution is to only build like 4 batteries, which is fine for me because I don't like to build turrets.

I'm quite the opposite, I find the fire is rather manageable and the explosion itself has a very rare chance that it will hit one of your pawns and it doesn't impart enough damage to wreck adjacent structures. Losing power to a key set of defenses at just the wrong time, however, is much worse.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Shinzo's Animu Hair mod got updated to A13. So that's the best mod now.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Geokinesis posted:

Yeah for sure, but I'd gone for literally 6 or 7 patches without even trying Cassandra so I thought I'd give it a shot. It's even more casually brutal now, and on the also-recommended Challenging setting, you sure as hell can't get the research together to get off the planet before you encounter gigantic waves of enemies/packs of wargs/whatever else who will push your poo poo in pretty much on a coinflip as your snipers will either scare them off before they do lasting damage or miss once or twice and it's pretty much GG.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 4, 2016

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Just remember at the setup screen, Cassandra is clearly thinking to herself "This crystal ball is going straight up your rear end in a top hat".

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

It's not quite that bad but the types of encounters sort of pushes you to build in a certain way to protect against them effectively. Things like compounds with doors to prevent man-hunting packs from getting at your pawns while they're planting, going primarily melee and building defenses to restrict line of sight on places where you skirmish to minimize damage, or having a way to roof your compound quickly so your pawns aren't nearly as affected by a random radioactive fallout event (leaps and bounds the worst natural disaster). That sort of restrictive play isn't conducive to the general sandbox design of Rimworld.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a guard tower mod that allows you to shoot over walls with a bump to accuracy and defence or something?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
No, at least not yet, because there lacks a Z-axis. There's EMBRASURES, which are walls you can shoot through, and sandbags, which can be fired over and all.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
If you guys haven't heard of the Numbers mod, you should check it out. It lets you sort your colonists/animals/prisoner/whatever by all sorts of skills or even the clothes that they're wearing. It's really nice to be able to pause the game and sort by your best shooters or quickly see a list of who has what weapon.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Apoplexy posted:

No, at least not yet, because there lacks a Z-axis. There's EMBRASURES, which are walls you can shoot through, and sandbags, which can be fired over and all.

Where are build orders for embrasures at? I don't think I've ever seen them. Is there a research requirement?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

beerinator posted:

If you guys haven't heard of the Numbers mod, you should check it out. It lets you sort your colonists/animals/prisoner/whatever by all sorts of skills or even the clothes that they're wearing. It's really nice to be able to pause the game and sort by your best shooters or quickly see a list of who has what weapon.

I streamline this by executing everyone who is a bad shot/can't handle a spear

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Frog Assassin posted:

Where are build orders for embrasures at? I don't think I've ever seen them. Is there a research requirement?

they aren't in the base game, but a couple of mods add them.

i use this one:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=18995.msg207266#msg207266

e: this game is much better modded. some mods are extremely OP, others are mildly so, some make the game way harder- find a nice mix that complements the playstyle you enjoy.

Nut to Butt fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 4, 2016

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I try to avoid the ones that do really drastic things to the game's basic balance, like Combat Realism or various super turret mods that are out there, but yeah the vanilla game needs some help. These are what I'm currently running with:

Additional Joy Objects v3.10
Bulk_Meals
CaveworldFlora
Community Core Library
Core
CorePanda v0.13.1 - Modified
DermalRegenerator-DermalRegenerator1.5
DrierBorealForest
EdBColonistBar
EdBModOrder
EdBPrepareCarefully
ExtendedMedicine-ExtendedMedicine1.2
ExtendedSurgery-ExtendedSurgery1.1
Glass&Lights
HotCold_Biomes
LessIncidentTrolling
LT_ADogSaid
LT_RedistHeat
Mad Skills
MapReroll
MedievalShields-MedievalShields1.7
NaturalFloors-NaturalFloors1.1
Oasis A13
Pawn State Icons
Powerless! v2.01
Quarry v1.20
ReclaimFabric-ReclaimFabric1.1
Rimsenal_hair
RT_Fuse-A13-1.0.0
VeinMiner

e: One other mod I liked a whole lot but still hasn't been updated is Rikiki's Fish Industry - while it maybe produces too much food, on the other hand it's pretty reasonable to colonize shore lines on Ice Sheet biome maps, which is neat.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 5, 2016

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Apoplexy posted:

Shinzo's Animu Hair mod got updated to A13. So that's the best mod now.

I found that Rimsenal's hairs were better.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I haven't run this colony for quite a year yet but dang, Randy Random is soooooooo much easier than the other modes.
e: to be honest it's kind of boring :shrug:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 5, 2016

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Danaru posted:

I really liked Glittertech's whole "super expensive but super powerful" schtick until the creator decided his invulnerable commando squad needed to be as numerous as tribals and nearly impossible to even damage, so if you're unlucky and they're hostile to you, you're doomed the first time they attack.

I got hit by a Glittertech raid like a year into a colony which consisted of like 30 dudes like a tribal raid except every single one of them had EDB-1 rifles or whatever which are basically laser cannons. They walked through a 10 turret killbox and killed all of my shooters who were behind embrasures in darkness from max range. I think I got one of them before my entire colony died.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'd like a compromise Storyteller between Randy Random and Cassandra, Randy is pretty dull (more cargo pod drops than anything else) and Cassandra I'm getting a bit sick of. Last ice sheet colony wiped due to a manhunter pack of 18 wargs vs. my 5 colonists. :black101:

Anyone heard of any modded storyteller that's somewhere in between?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

God drat, game! That's blackmail!