Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
When I worked at Fry's for 2 months and got paid $8.50/hr we had to wear button down shirts, slacks and ties. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

This is a great way to ruin a tie. If you wear it often/daily it's largely fine.

Ruin how exactly? Permanently crease the fabric that's under the knot and no one will ever see?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Four in hand, because I'm not a fat 50-year-old stockbroker.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RFC2324 posted:

Not really?

It's not going to look anywhere near that symmetrical unless you've got a lot of experience or a lot of time and probably both

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

How to look like a massive tool in 17 complicated steps.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

stubblyhead posted:

How to look like a massive tool in 17 complicated steps.
But what else will draw people's attention down to your non-standard shoe lacing?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Non-standard shoe lacing? Do I even want to know? (You'd better not be talking about straight-lacing).

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Non-standard shoe lacing? Do I even want to know? (You'd better not be talking about straight-lacing).

Here's a few:
http://imgur.com/gallery/vu8xpli

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

:facepalm: why

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sweet that brought me back to middle school ca. 2003.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

*Puts on my black and white alt laced chucks, my vest with matching trinity knot tie and white gloves*

"I'm ready to IT"

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

SaltLick posted:

*Puts on my black and white alt laced chucks, my vest with matching trinity knot tie and white gloves*

"I'm ready to IT"

Forgot your dress cape.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

When I worked at Fry's for 2 months and got paid $8.50/hr we had to wear button down shirts, slacks and ties. :downs:

In the technology sector there's a definite inverse correlation between the amount you get paid and the amount people care about how you dress.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Speaking of tie knots, I think I just found the best one, and everyone should use it.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

MF_James posted:

:facepalm: why

There are some lacing methods that are supposed to be good for various foot issues in runners, but these are pretty silly. I mostly wear slip-ons anymore, but I do use a different knot for laced shoes. That's 100% practical though, and you can't even tell the difference unless you look very closely.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Pretty much the future will be two ties like in BttF 2

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Straight lacing looks really nice. It doesn't belong on the same page as all those other goofy lacing methods.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

RFC2324 posted:

Forgot your dress cape.
okay at this point you're just describing IT Tuxedo Mask

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Straight lacing looks really nice. It doesn't belong on the same page as all those other goofy lacing methods.

I thought it was on there, but I think the alternative part was hiding the knot under the flap, I forget what that part is called. I think that could look really cool on a closed-laced oxford / balmoral / whatever you want to call it, but you actually couldn't do it, I'm pretty sure. A neatly tied bow also kind of completes the look of a well-fitted balmoral, anyway.

I love my [url=http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/mens-shoes/dress-shoes/park-avenue-cap-toe-oxfords/SF270.html[park avenues[/url]. They're in a sort of cordovan color not for sale anymore. Not as formal as black.

Grimshak
Oct 8, 2013

I know you need the meat, girl, but damn.
A year ago I wore a button up shirt and tie to work. Now I wear jeans and a polo, and make 40% more money and do 80% less work.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Grimshak posted:

A year ago I wore a button up shirt and tie to work. Now I wear jeans and a polo, and make 40% more money and do 80% less work.

Living the dream.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

RFC2324 posted:

Forgot your dress cape.

Dress capes are only impressive if you sew them yourself!

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

psydude posted:

In the technology sector there's a definite inverse correlation between the amount you get paid and the amount people care about how you dress.

Depends. for the people fixing poo poo and rescuing people, sure. But for the people reassuring the senior executives while it happens, a nice suit helps. A good firm needs both types.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

psydude posted:

You seem to confuse "care" with "willing to put effort and risk into"

If a very senior network guy with deep institutional knowledge started showing up in clear violation of the dress code, he will probably get away with it but that doesn't mean no one cares.

edit: I don't think any "IT guy" should be expected to wear a suit or even a tie unless they are doing it for a very specific reason on a specific day.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'd prefer not to look like a scrub because how you look loving matters in a business.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

I'd prefer not to look like a scrub because how you look loving matters in a business.

Maybe if you're a salesman or a hooker.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Even if you're a tech, to management. Gotta be professional.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

GreenNight posted:

There's "being professional" and then there's "wearing a suit and tie to run checkservers.sh and eat cheetos while posting on forums.somethingawful.com"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RFC2324 posted:

Speaking of tie knots, I think I just found the best one, and everyone should use it.

Care must be taken in the art of Ties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKvkBQukTgU

invision posted:

There's "being professional" and then there's "wearing a suit and tie to run checkservers.sh and eat cheetos while posting on forums.somethingawful.com"

Don't forget scuffing up dress shoes on hardware!

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't forget scuffing up dress shoes on hardware!
I wear dress Dr martens every day :smug:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

GreenNight posted:

What qualifies as professional dress varies from field to field and even organization to organization. Whether or not management cares if you wear a t-shirt or a three piece suit also varies depending on who is doing the management. Like many of the arguments in this thread on proper workplace etiquette it comes down to "learn to read social cues, and err on the side of caution early on."

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

NippleFloss posted:

What qualifies as professional dress varies from field to field and even organization to organization. Whether or not management cares if you wear a t-shirt or a three piece suit also varies depending on who is doing the management. Like many of the arguments in this thread on proper workplace etiquette it comes down to "learn to read social cues, and err on the side of caution early on."

Social... Cues?

Listen pal, I work in IT. I didn't graduate with a liberal arts degree.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

GreenNight posted:

My management would laugh at me if I showed up wearing a button down shirt and a tie. And then assume I've got an interview somewhere else. Polo and jeans are perfectly acceptable.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

edit: I work federal government; and normally just throw dress-pants, a t-shirt, and a sweater or REI button-down on. I am pretty well regarded in my office and mostly sit in front of a computer screen so my management tends to give me a free pass even though I'm never quite up to snuff on the dress code. I do always keep a dress-shirt/tie in my office in case there's a surprise meeting with upper management though.
---

I work alternating days in the office and at home. I also prefer to hand-write things for notes/daily tasks/etc.

Conceptually, Dropbox + OneNote seems like a STELLAR option, but I really prefer to handwrite my notes (and prefer to be able to bring these to meetings).
Yes I know a paper notebook also solves this, but I have a tendency to leave notes at one place or the other, thus am unable to get them the following day; plus being able to search would be nice, but not as critical

Do any of those notebooks/styluses (e.g. lighstcribe) or handwriting tablets (ipad pro/surface) actually work well enough for this that it's more than a gadget? I can get work to purchase whatever within reason, but I dont want to just buy a gadget just to buy it. I'm actually trying to solve a problem.

If none of those actually work that well, I'm just going to buy a nice moleskine and make sure I dont leave it behind.

Walked fucked around with this message at 12:31 on May 4, 2016

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Walked posted:

edit: I work federal government; and normally just throw dress-pants, a t-shirt, and a sweater or REI button-down on. I am pretty well regarded in my office and mostly sit in front of a computer screen so my management tends to give me a free pass even though I'm never quite up to snuff on the dress code. I do always keep a dress-shirt/tie in my office in case there's a surprise meeting with upper management though.
---

I work alternating days in the office and at home. I also prefer to hand-write things for notes/daily tasks/etc.

Conceptually, Dropbox + OneNote seems like a STELLAR option, but I really prefer to handwrite my notes (and prefer to be able to bring these to meetings).
Yes I know a paper notebook also solves this, but I have a tendency to leave notes at one place or the other, thus am unable to get them the following day; plus being able to search would be nice, but not as critical

Do any of those notebooks/styluses (e.g. lighstcribe) or handwriting tablets (ipad pro/surface) actually work well enough for this that it's more than a gadget? I can get work to purchase whatever within reason, but I dont want to just buy a gadget just to buy it. I'm actually trying to solve a problem.

If none of those actually work that well, I'm just going to buy a nice moleskine and make sure I dont leave it behind.

I use OneNote on my surface pro 3 / Samsung Note 4 / macbook pro and it works nicely. Not sure how searchable handwritten notes can get, but i haven't screwed around with the version that comes with paid MS Office either.

next time you're in a Best Buy or pass by a Microsoft Store, try a surface out and see if you like writing on it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

My current office's dress code is 'make sure your nerdy t-shirt and jeans don't have visible gaping holes in them, and maybe wear shoes', and I've even been in violation of that.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

When I work from home, my dress code is underwear if you're lucky. I've done a couple of Webex conferences sitting in my bedclothes. I wish I could do WFH all the time...

Are there any good resources for installing MS Systems Center in either print or online copies? I've got a coworker who is struggling with getting the software setup in our development environment. I wish I could help him, but unfortunately my expertise is SQL in the organization.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

rafikki posted:

My management would laugh at me if I showed up wearing a button down shirt and a tie. And then assume I've got an interview somewhere else. Polo and jeans are perfectly acceptable.

After my second interview (and hiring offer) they told me I was free to wear whatever I wanted, except I could never wear a suit here ever again.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Vargatron posted:

When I work from home, my dress code is underwear if you're lucky. I've done a couple of Webex conferences sitting in my bedclothes. I wish I could do WFH all the time...

Are there any good resources for installing MS Systems Center in either print or online copies? I've got a coworker who is struggling with getting the software setup in our development environment. I wish I could help him, but unfortunately my expertise is SQL in the organization.

I wear pajamas all day. I think at this point I have more pajamas and gym clothes than khakis and polos. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Vargatron posted:

Systems Center is a whole suite (SCCM/SCVMM/DPM/SCOM)
Which component is he trying to get going? SCCM is the bees knees, SCOM is okay but a bit of a kludge initially, SCVMM everyone seems to have mixed views on, and DPM is kinda mediocre but nice for backup if youre already licensed for the whole suite.

Either way; there are plenty of guides - espeically for lab environments.
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/kevinholman/2013/10/30/configmgr-2012-r2-quickstart-deployment-guide/