Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
The rollback for this game is still really really bad btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

wait i can play sf5 with my cheese grater?

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
What does that even mean?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Foodahn posted:

What does that even mean?

The back and forth of the stick 40 times sound like grating parmesian maybe idgi

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

The rollback for this game is still really really bad btw.

i don't get it as much as i did, but i also don't play games unless it says 4-5 bar connection. netcode in this seems vastly superior to my SF4 experience, but i'm also on PC now instead of X360

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

guts and bolts posted:

i don't get it as much as i did, but i also don't play games unless it says 4-5 bar connection. netcode in this seems vastly superior to my SF4 experience, but i'm also on PC now instead of X360

Netcode is better or worse than SF4 depending on your playstyle.
For autopilting it's way better but if you actually want to react to poo poo, good luck with this loving rollback.

To be fair, when both players have a great connection, SFV has a better netcode than SF4. It's just that it almost never is that way (even when the game says it's 5 bars) and personally, I prefer the way SF4 handled lag.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 3, 2016

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

guts and bolts posted:

skullgirls, fightcade, romanian, never shits out like sfv does on good connection

the most rollback i've dealt with before sfv was sometimes I'd try to jab my dude out on fightcade and then i'd get stuck with KO covering my screen for the rest of the round

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
When it works it's fine, nothing to write home about because you have easy combos, easy anti-air jabs and so on that doesn't really need flawless connections to do well on. When it doesn't work, it could be at random in the second round of a 4th match and be like that for just that round or until you have to quit the lobby and restart, even when it's UK to UK. If it really is a one-sided thing then what may be fine for you may be bad for the other guy.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Matched against this cammy. Took a round off them, they ragequit. Got matched with them again a little later. Beat them 2-0, they took a round off me in the runback, then they ragequit again. :confused:

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Jack Trades posted:

Netcode is better or worse than SF4 depending on your playstyle.
For autopilting it's way better but if you actually want to react to poo poo, good luck with this loving rollback.

To be fair, when both players have a great connection, SFV has a better netcode than SF4. It's just that it almost never is that way (even when the game says it's 5 bars) and personally, I prefer the way SF4 handled lag.

I mean, I just don't get rollback - I think I must have decent internet? I'm pretty not tech savvy so there's that. What I mean is, when I have a 5-bar connection against a bro, it runs almost seamlessly. It's kinda shocking actually. SF4's netcode when I picked it up at launch on the 360 was horrific, and I love(d) SF4. It was really, really bad.

w/r/t reacting to poo poo, I can reliably VTC or run cancel Ken's st.HK if it's a Crush Counter with SF5's netcode, and while that isn't necessarily like ~Momochi skillz~ it also means that for whatever reason after I figured out how to stop the constant D/Cs I've had a really good time on SF5 online. I don't think Nash or Ken lend themselves especially well to "autopiloting," I'm not really sure any character lends themselves to that though.

I think my worst experiences with netcode have all been KOF games, which are literally unplayable garbage online, and Marvel 3 was suspect a lot but oh well it's bad Marvel. The 3S rerelease treated me pretty well though.

unrelated: i just landed j.HP,cr.MP,st.MPxxHK Scythe,VTC,nj.HK,Super as Nash against a higher-ranked Nash and he ragequit. How does the punishment work, now?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Rollback is always better than delay. The netcode issues are how that rollback is implemented, aka only one person gets all the teleports and the game doesn't let you decide how much input delay you want in your matches.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5o44jf8Xr0

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Dias posted:

Rollback is always better than delay. The netcode issues are how that rollback is implemented, aka only one person gets all the teleports and the game doesn't let you decide how much input delay you want in your matches.

people that know nothing about fighting games tend to not enjoy rollback because they can't comprehend how awful the alternative methods are. because of people that have lovely, stupid opinions like that, rollback netcode is not featured in many new fighters (like kofxiv) because it has the potential to appear more jarring. its a shame how new fgs are suffering from the influx of newbloods from concepts, design, to gameplay, and now even to netcode. it took so long for proper rollback to even have the potential to be implemented, and now that the potential finally exists, it just gets discarded so that Polygon reviewers don't use a word like "janky" to describe the online play of the game.

edit: how much longer must the pro gamers among us be pinned down under the tyranny of the casual

Zand fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 4, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It's easier to ignore slight delay in rollback and feel like you played a perfect connection. Even then, you might as well do rollback and set a high delay as standard, you get the best of two worlds.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Dias posted:

It's easier to ignore slight delay in rollback and feel like you played a perfect connection. Even then, you might as well do rollback and set a high delay as standard, you get the best of two worlds.

I feel like the exact opposite is true

with delay netcode if it's not a close connection you just play a little worse or have to re-adjust your timings, but you can still do the same general things. so online warriors can play a lot more people and have "acceptable" games against people they shouldn't really be playing

if you play the same people with rollback (especially if you can't play with the settings like sf5/strekken) it turns into an episode of naruto or something where you totally swear you hit someone but actually the teleported behind you and now you're in the middle of a combo that you had no way of reacting to and that poo poo makes you mad and sad

i'm basically just reiterating what zand said but if you're the sort of person that just plays random people in ranked mode for your Fighting Game Experience rollback has a much bigger chance of ruining your day

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 4, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yo rashid is fun to play

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBWwWbuEOLY

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

darealkooky posted:

I feel like the exact opposite is true

with delay netcode if it's not a close connection you just play a little worse or have to re-adjust your timings, but you can still do the same general things. so online warriors can play a lot more people and have "acceptable" games against people they shouldn't really be playing

if you play the same people with rollback (especially if you can't play with the settings like sf5/strekken) it turns into an episode of naruto or something where you totally swear you hit someone but actually the teleported behind you and now you're in the middle of a combo that you had no way of reacting to and that poo poo makes you mad and sad

i'm basically just reiterating what zand said but if you're the sort of person that just plays random people in ranked mode for your Fighting Game Experience rollback has a much bigger chance of ruining your day
especially when people are on wireless, which happens with randoms a lot since its basically the standard now. if you pick and choose your opponents rollback is far better

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Zand posted:

people that know nothing about fighting games tend to not enjoy rollback

Only if they're not used to networking at all. Rollback is the way every other networked game genre has functioned for decades.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

For the last 30 seconds of the match the opponent was not allowed to play the game. That's neat.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Night Blade posted:

For the last 30 seconds of the match the opponent was not allowed to play the game. That's neat.
At least the Vtrig sonics just stunlock and don't actually plink away much health???

That's definitely a state of utter bullshit and cool beans comeback though.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Night Blade posted:

But he did get to play, and did it wrong. It was pretty obvious that there was either a frametrap or throw reset for stun coming

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

At least the Vtrig sonics just stunlock and don't actually plink away much health???

That's definitely a state of utter bullshit and cool beans comeback though.

They do a decent amount of damage when they aren't in the middle of a 40 hit combo.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Night Blade posted:

For the last 30 seconds of the match the opponent was not allowed to play the game.

Welcome to fighting games

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
e: nvm

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Guile is the breath of stale air this game nneeds

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Corbeau posted:

Only if they're not used to networking at all. Rollback is the way every other networked game genre has functioned for decades.

"what the gently caress i was already behind the wall this netcode is broken"

Night Blade posted:

damage should be higher so he was stunned 6 seconds in and dead at 10 IMO

Pomp fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 4, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Typical ChrisG match. Nonexistent footsies, lets people jump at him, relies almost solely on his combo execution to carry a match.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Haven't played since before Alex, have they fixed Zangief yet?

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Typical ChrisG match. Nonexistent footsies, lets people jump at him, relies almost solely on his combo execution to carry a match.

yeah chris g sure suckjs

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

!Klams posted:

Haven't played since before Alex, have they fixed Zangief yet?

Snake Eyez plays Alex now, does that answer your question

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

the newest cross counter with infiltration is hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YPqN6avHFE

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

A.o.D. posted:

drat you're really putting in overtime for bad post making recently

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

a literal "he only won because he used combos" post in tyool 2016

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Help Im Alive posted:

Snake Eyez plays Alex now, does that answer your question

Hahaha, some dude was calling me a quitter because I said Alex looks like a better Gief and that I'd probably main him instead.

That 100% answers it, lol. Fucks sake.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

a literal "he only won because he used combos" post in tyool 2016

That's not really what I said but hey, keep working at it. One day you might have something worth saying.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Night Blade posted:

Capcom made a new marvel game????

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

A.o.D. posted:

ahahahahahaha

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

A.o.D. posted:

i'm chrisg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

hrm, chris g won , and often wins, but did he use any "shimmies"?