Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tunicate posted:

Brian Blessed taught Keanu Reeves how to meditate.

woah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Pile of Kittens posted:

The one time I needed to use MEK I just skipped the triple bagging and used it bare-handed and extremely quickly. I probably have cancer of the hands now, but I got that resin out of the sink, god drat it.

My ex-wife's grandfather contracted some kind of bone cancer which killed him within eight months of his noticing something was wrong and getting it diagnosed.

He also maintained a smallish olive grove and insisted on mixing and otherwise working with the pesticides without gloves or any other kind of PPE. Dude's fingernails were all kinds of hosed up all of the time, and while that poo poo wasn't poisoning him obviously and immediately, bone cancer which goes systemic inside of a year probably didn't just come from nowhere.

Also he was the frothiest and most smugly entitled kind of rank-and-file neocon, refusing to use pansy-rear end safety equipment because he's a Real Man fits entirely with the rest of his attitudes. What a maroon.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

MEK is fantastic for glueing HIPS. What's MC in this context?

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

I took it as methylene chloride aka dichloromethane, but if theres another meaning please post.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

As a chemical engineering undergrad I had to design a process plant that produced various chloromethanes. Can someone summarise just how bad tetrachloromethane is? I know it's real bad, but we never got much past "just recycle as much of it as possible back into chloro/dichloromethane :stare:" :v:

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Firos posted:

As a chemical engineering undergrad I had to design a process plant that produced various chloromethanes. Can someone summarise just how bad tetrachloromethane is? I know it's real bad, but we never got much past "just recycle as much of it as possible back into chloro/dichloromethane :stare:" :v:

What kind of people say "tetrachloromethane" instead of "carbon tetrachloride"?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
IUPAC shills.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

It makes it easier when you're referring to di/tri/tetrachloro hundreds of times in the same document :shrug:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Carbon tet is a CNS depressant like most other halogenated low MW organics so exposure can get you acting loopy and putting yourself in risks you might not normally. Chronic exposure is alarmingly stressful on kidneys and the liver and in the atmosphere it acts as a fairly potent ozone destroyer. Its not one of those comically mutagenic cancer starting chemicals someone was talking about a few pages ago, but its nasty enough stuff to make waves on risk assessments when you need to deal with the stuff.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Not as exciting as I'd hope (:confuoot:), but then again no one really uses chlorinated methanes for much anymore. Which was part of the reason why the plant we designed was almost assuredly going to operate at a loss lol.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
For the adventurous among you, you can make chloroform at home from sodium hypochlorite (bleach) and acetone (nail polish remover). It's a rather exothermic reaction and you'll probably want to distill it afterward. Chloroform slowly oxidizes into phosgene which was used as a chemical weapon in WW1, so be sure to huff it fast.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

zedprime posted:

Carbon tet is a CNS depressant like most other halogenated low MW organics so exposure can get you acting loopy and putting yourself in risks you might not normally. Chronic exposure is alarmingly stressful on kidneys and the liver and in the atmosphere it acts as a fairly potent ozone destroyer. Its not one of those comically mutagenic cancer starting chemicals someone was talking about a few pages ago, but its nasty enough stuff to make waves on risk assessments when you need to deal with the stuff.
It's pretty nasty on the liver and over 200°C it starts decomposing into phosgene. I bought an old fire extinguisher with the original liquid in it at a tag sale this weekend so I was double checking the safety sheets. It was $5 and not leaking, how could I lose?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Makes phosgene/carbonyl fluoride is kind of the default combustion state for halogenated organics up to and including most of the polymers that make the modern world go 'round. I think Halon 1211 even comes with the disclaimer that you'll end up with HF and HBr at some point. Its often mitigated by the fact that if you are in a situation to be huffing combustion products you're fairly screwed already.

Man, $5 is a hell of a deal for all that delicious anaesthetic that is only slightly very scarily more toxic than chloroform.

Might be apocryphal but I remember the prof mentioning during the halogenated organics unit about at the birth of anesthesia there were a number of patent anesthetics trying to distinguish themselves from purer chloroform anesthetics with the addition of carbon tet.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

GWBBQ posted:

It's pretty nasty on the liver and over 200°C it starts decomposing into phosgene. I bought an old fire extinguisher with the original liquid in it at a tag sale this weekend so I was double checking the safety sheets. It was $5 and not leaking, how could I lose?

I thought most fire extinguishers used a dry chemical powder to smother flames? Or is this some fancy chem lab fire extinguisher?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Elmnt80 posted:

I thought most fire extinguishers used a dry chemical powder to smother flames? Or is this some fancy chem lab fire extinguisher?

Depends on the type of fire likely to happen. Chemical powders don't do well against self-oxidizing fires, for instance. The typical ABC extinguisher works by making a barrier between fuel and oxygen. Doesn't work well if the fuel is the oxidizer.

Chlorine-containing fires turn into death too due it being an ammonium phosphate salt.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Elmnt80 posted:

They do today, carbon tet fire extinguishers haven't been used in decades. You know, all that stuff about liver degredation and kidney failure, and how it turns to mustard gas when you heat it up.

I honestly have no idea how to put out a fire where the combustion material provides its own oxygen.

Memento has a new favorite as of 07:01 on May 4, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Memento posted:

I honestly have no idea how to put out a fire where the combustion material provides its own oxygen.

You can try and use compressed gas as a coolant to bring it down below the ignition point. Or you can run away.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

The Lone Badger posted:

You can try and use compressed gas as a coolant to bring it down below the ignition point. Or you can run away.

Yeah you can try and cool it with a massive heat sink or do the wise thing by using the fire safety tools attached to your knees.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Remember the fire triangle. Fuel-oxidiser-heat.

Can't take away the fuel or oxidizer so you'll have to try to cool the fire to below ignition temperature. Water is actually good here as long as whatever's burning doesn't react with it.

If that's not an option I guess you just try to prevent it from spreading and let it burn out.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
If you need something cold why not just pour liquid oxygen on it

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Pouring liquid helium/nitrogen on your fire might work as a way to displace oxidizer(assuming your ignition source isn't also functioning as its primary source of oxidizer)

Moist von Lipwig posted:

If you need something cold why not just pour liquid oxygen on it

Get that tan you've always wanted, in 3 seconds or less!

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Vitamins posted:

I took it as methylene chloride aka dichloromethane, but if theres another meaning please post.

You are correct. It's also called plastic weld if you go to a model shop. Its' icy cold touch when you accidentally inject it into a finger is pleasant reminder of my college days. If you don't hit a vein, it won't kill you, so that isn't too bad.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

mostlygray posted:

You are correct. It's also called plastic weld if you go to a model shop. Its' icy cold touch when you accidentally inject it into a finger is pleasant reminder of my college days. If you don't hit a vein, it won't kill you, so that isn't too bad.

Humbrol Liquid Poly is butyl acetate AFAIK.

It has a very pleasant fruity smell. Apparently it's also used as a flavoring, which is slightly disturbing.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

KozmoNaut posted:

It has a very pleasant fruity smell. Apparently it's also used as a flavoring, which is slightly disturbing.

It's not entirely butyl acetate, they just use it as a solution to dilute the real solvent in it and of course it smells like fruit, many fruits produce butyl acetate.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Kwyndig posted:

It's not entirely butyl acetate, they just use it as a solution to dilute the real solvent in it and of course it smells like fruit, many fruits produce butyl acetate.

Nothing else is mentioned in the safety data sheet: http://www.technologysupplies.com/downloads/msds/SDS0162.pdf

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Ahhh yes, the good old 60-100% of something, unmentioned 0-40% of ???????? style SDS.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That is like the third data sheet I have seen for that. Is there no standards in the UK?

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

Spoiler alert: a lot of nice-smelling things are aldehydes and keytones. DID YOU KNOW THAT YOUR SO-CALLED "AMARETTO" IS LOADED WITH BENZALDEHYDE, HYDROXYETHANE (WHICH IS RELATED TO ETHYLENE, A VALUABLE FRACKING PRODUCT), AND THE DEADLY (2R,3R,4S,5S,6R)-2-[(2S,3S,4S,5R)-3,4-dihydroxy-2,5-bis(hydroxymethyl)oxolan-2-yl]oxy-6-(hydroxymethyl)oxane-3,4,5-triol WHICH HAS BEEN LINKED TO DIABETES????

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Elmnt80 posted:

It's one of these. I bought it as a shelf piece, not to use.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

Remember the fire triangle. Fuel-oxidiser-heat.

Can't take away the fuel or oxidizer so you'll have to try to cool the fire to below ignition temperature. Water is actually good here as long as whatever's burning doesn't react with it.

If that's not an option I guess you just try to prevent it from spreading and let it burn out.

I suggest running like hell

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Relevant to chloromethane chat:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Jesus. I did a report on organophosphate poisoning for a medical terminology class last year, probably because of either this thread or the OSHA thread that spawned it.

Fun fact: most nerve agents (Sarin, VB, etc; as far as I can tell from Wikipedia VX was specifically designed to kill people, but the previous ones were accidental) were discovered in the search for better insecticides. Also, VB was actually sold to the public for a brief time under the brand name Amiton.

Munin posted:

The reaction of Fluorine and Sulphur in one of their other videos is really rather beautiful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtWp45Eewtw

Pfft. How about fluorine and the one diagonally opposite it? With same guest, apparently he's the only guy in the UK working with fluorine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLOFaWdPxB0

It's actually kinda disappointing, once you get higher than magnesium in air it's just "welp, that's a hell of a white-hot flame," at least visually. I'd like to see graphs of the heat and non-visible EM radiation compared to those of magnesium burning in air, though.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I imagine alot of detail is getting lost in the limited color range of the-current cameras. I'd love to see them redo those with modern HDR capabilities and see if there is a better picture.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I don't think there's really any cameras on earth with a good enough dynamic range to capture that properly, maybe with a shitload of neutral density filters.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I don't think there's really any cameras on earth with a good enough dynamic range to capture that properly, maybe with a shitload of neutral density filters.

A girl can dream though :(

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
:(

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Split it with pellicle mirrors, send it to multiple sensors with different numbers of neutral density filters in the path.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 06:51 on May 6, 2016

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
rapidly adjusting variable ND with multiple polarizers would work

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

atomicthumbs posted:

rapidly adjusting variable ND with multiple polarizers would work

That’s pretty clever.

Now I’m wondering if anyone has built a camera on that principle.

You might have to use something like a Geneva drive to avoid artefacts as the polarisation changes within a frame (well, sub‐frame. Field?).

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 06:58 on May 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
The polarizing filters trick is actually exactly how the rapatronic camera worked, used for taking photos of atomic bombs going off in the 40s and 50s. It could take photos with a 10 nanosecond exposure time in order to avoid overexposure from the sheer light output of the bombs. And by overexposure I mean vaporizing the film, probably.