Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.
Rode a bunch of stuff, settled on a 2016 Speed Triple R, but the dealership won't accept MSRP + TTL (they want $880 more in freight and setup), so it's back on the hunt I go. I love that the bike was small, aggressive, and had tons of power from a stop. Might be time to start looking at used naked bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

predictive posted:

Rode a bunch of stuff, settled on a 2016 Speed Triple R, but the dealership won't accept MSRP + TTL (they want $880 more in freight and setup), so it's back on the hunt I go. I love that the bike was small, aggressive, and had tons of power from a stop. Might be time to start looking at used naked bikes.

Can you just set it up yourself and not be extorted by them?

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

Chichevache posted:

Can you just set it up yourself and not be extorted by them?

I offered to uncrate the thing, but they didn't seem to like that option.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Last few bikes I bought I called every dealer in reasonable driving distance (a day) and collected the ones that had what I wanted and asked for their final OTD no haggle price; then the 5 or 6 lowest prices all got call backs and were told that I'm calling everyone; heres the best price, la-la-la.

There's not much margin on new bikes anyway, but doing this has gotten me good deals every time - I like to get a few oil filters and/or basics thrown in too if I can (Break in oil change poo poo, Dirt bike hand guards for the off-road bikes, basic poo poo). Be good to your dealer who treats you nice and they'll treat you nice again in the future, and when you finally get down to people's final and best offer stop being a hard rear end and seal the deal quickly and painlessly.

If a dealer isn't budging on bullshit (setup fees are mostly bullshit), move on. Tax Title and License are not negotiable (though a discount effectively removing them can be), but I've never paid for freight or setup.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
There's a goon with a CB500F, right? I've been eyeing them for my next bike. On paper it ticks a lot of boxes for me - ABS, upright, highway-worthy.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/mcy/5567769245.html

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Dutymode posted:

There's a goon with a CB500F, right? I've been eyeing them for my next bike. On paper it ticks a lot of boxes for me - ABS, upright, highway-worthy.

Yep, Ive got a 2015, and there is another guy with a 2013 as well.
They are nice as long as you don't need to go fast.
Great starter/commuter for sure.

e: Thats about what I paid for my 2015 from a dealer in CAD, so maybe see if there are any old stock 2015's left. Or I just got a really good deal.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

predictive posted:

Lol what kinda lovely dealer actually makes you pay to have the bike shipped? Unless you mean shipped to you, cross-country, or something.

Just walk away, but make sure the saleslizard has your number, and wait him out until he needs to meet a target.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

predictive posted:

I offered to uncrate the thing, but they didn't seem to like that option.

:lol: Tell us the dealer so we can avoid them. I wouldn't even want to accidentally buy parts from the place.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Chichevache posted:

Oof. Tell me this guy is in California. If you're not down for that I might be.

Florida :haw:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Lol what kinda lovely dealer actually makes you pay to have the bike shipped? Unless you mean shipped to you, cross-country, or something.

Just walk away, but make sure the saleslizard has your number, and wait him out until he needs to meet a target.

Tacking on "freight" is nearly universal for new cars and motorcycles in the US, sadly.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Never before has my envy become pity so fast. :glomp:

good luck with that bike. If it is anywhere near the deal it looks to be then kudos. That rules.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Dutymode posted:

I do. It's a great bike, I love it to death. It's light, easy to ride, smooth as hell. Only thing I don't like about it is that it's not super fast. But it definitely has get up and go when you're in the twisties.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Someone with more disposable income than me please buy this for me.

http://palmsprings.craigslist.org/mcy/5560074407.html

I can pick it up after you pay.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, I'll just find something else I like instead I suppose; a shame since it really had that 'engine with wheels and not much else' feeling I was looking for. Maybe I should go the other direction and look at a cheap used speed triple:
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/5568152220.html

Though it might take some work to undo some of the atrocities committed here.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
You could always try CycleTrader too. It tends to be more dealer-focused, but they have some private sellers up in there.

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2015-Triumph-SPEED-TRIPLE-ABS-117707279

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
I wanted to say thanks guys. I decided on a Ninja 300.
I'll take the safety course, it was recommended not only by all by goons present, but my professor who rides, and a fellow student who's trying to sell me his "like new" Harley for 8K.
I'll gopro, but I'm telling you now, I'm not going to be able to post any videos of my grizzly death from hell.
Thanks again for all the advice.
Be back soon!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Solvent posted:

I'll take the safety course, it was recommended not only by all by goons present, but my professor who rides, and a fellow student who's trying to sell me his "like new" Harley for 8K.
I'll gopro, but I'm telling you now, I'm not going to be able to post any videos of my grizzly death from hell.
Be back soon!

Your professor is awesome. He rides, so I assume he teaches literature or philosophy.

Ninja 300 is probably the bike everyone here would agree is an ideal learner choice (if you can't afford a Super Duke). You have chosen wisely.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
:hfive: ninja 300 bros

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Chichevache posted:

Your professor is awesome. He rides, so I assume he teaches literature or philosophy.

Ninja 300 is probably the bike everyone here would agree is an ideal learner choice (if you can't afford a Super Duke). You have chosen wisely.

I actually took every philosophy course my school offers with an awesome goth lady.
This guy is a Communications professor who is about to leave to get his doctorate. He's also 6 year younger than me, and still manages to inspire respect and admiration. Sad to see him go.

I probably can, I just have some remnant of love left over from childhood, for the looks of a Ninja.
The Superduke looked interesting, but there are so many Ninjas on the road from what I read, that's a big plus for me.

I'm getting a chunk of cash from someone's estate, so I'm gonna buy a new vehicle, and I'd rather it wasn't another drat 4 banger stick.
Cheap after initial investment is a big plus.
Bikes are easier to park, easier to get through the standstill traffic (at a sane speed), 60 mpg is better than 27 mpg, parts are cheaper when there's a lot of a model on the road, awesome factor and all that...

I'm transferring to UCSD next year, and it'll serve me well till I can finish my undergraduate degree.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

PaintVagrant posted:

:hfive: ninja 300 bros
:hfive:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Solvent posted:

Be back soon!

Holy poo poo.

Now I've seen everything. Good man. I look forward to your posts about how insanely fast it is and how big a dumbass you almost were.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Chichevache posted:

He answered in the meantime, but it also could have been dental school :v:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Solvent posted:

Be back soon!

Good for you! When you disappeared for a couple of days I assumed you had slunk off, like so many others, to buy a Gixxahbusa and crash it a month later. Someone who actually heeds levelheaded advice is a rare gem. The Ninja 300 is a perfect starter bike that will last you a lot longer than you expect. See PaintVagrant's recent posts about getting one for his first bike and discovering that even a "slow" motorcycle still feels like warp nine compared to any other roadgoing vehicle.

Get some good gear (minimally a full-face helmet, gloves, jacket and over-the-ankle boots; motorcycle-specific armored boots and armored jeans/riding pants are an excellent idea), take the MSF course, never forget that no one on the road is aware of your presence, and welcome!

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Sagebrush posted:

Good for you! When you disappeared for a couple of days I assumed you had slunk off, like so many others, to buy a Gixxahbusa and crash it a month later. Someone who actually heeds levelheaded advice is a rare gem. The Ninja 300 is a perfect starter bike that will last you a lot longer than you expect. See PaintVagrant's recent posts about getting one for his first bike and discovering that even a "slow" motorcycle still feels like warp nine compared to any other roadgoing vehicle.

Get some good gear (minimally a full-face helmet, gloves, jacket and over-the-ankle boots; motorcycle-specific armored boots and armored jeans/riding pants are an excellent idea), take the MSF course, never forget that no one on the road is aware of your presence, and welcome!

Roger that, and thanks.
I had school stuff, and it's finals. I tutor for my aforementioned Comms class, and am taking 3 units of PE. I've been burnt out, only time to phone lurk.
Guarantee I'm not gonna slink off, not my style. I'd rather admit I was wrong than do any slinking.
I'm gonna go over that long effort post from the last page too before I buy. For sure.

The number one thing that really sold me on the MSF was that I get to romp around on their bikes. By design committing all the damaging mistakes on some school's property.
This is something to mention the next time someone slaps their overly large testicles into yer thread.
"You know, not that you'd dump, but you might as well grind out someone else's clutch/tires/fairings."

I did have a poo poo bike as a teen, so I kinda understand, but I'm also somewhat jaded from experience I've had
Warp nine is amazing, I used to have a decommissioned Crown Victoria with the Interceptor engine.
No limiter. I got it up to somewhere between 140 and 150 once, and everything took on that warp 9 blur.

I've basically done all the dumb poo poo I plan on doing already, and am trying to blend mature and cool in some sort of way that causes me not to hate the pedantic life of a research psychologist.

Edit:
Any tips on what to buy in terms of that safety gear?
Like brands and styles?
I mean, like there's a lot of stuff out there, so places to start help a bunch.
Pretend I'm dumb, and pls jus pst.
Like, for the thread lurkers and all.

Solvent fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 4, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

PCOS Bill posted:

He answered in the meantime, but it also could have been dental school :v:

:rimshot:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Solvent posted:

I got it up to somewhere between 140 and 150 once, and everything took on that warp 9 blur.

I've basically done all the dumb poo poo I plan on doing already, and am trying to blend mature and cool in some sort of way that causes me not to hate the pedantic life of a research psychologist.

:allears:

You really have no idea how similar to methamphetamine this hobby is do you?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

:allears:

You really have no idea how similar to methamphetamine this hobby is do you?

Why do you think they call it speeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed. :birddrugs:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Solvent posted:

Like brands and styles?

General advice for first gear is aim to spend about $100 per item if you don't know exactly what you want in terms of fit and features. If you do have an idea, post specifics in the gear thread to get a rundown of hot picks. Mostly it's about getting what fits you.

Do not buy Bilt.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Renaissance Robot posted:

Do not buy Bilt.

Funny you say that, since this was one of the first things that caught my eye.
http://www.cyclegear.com/BILT-IRON-...LF38aAnAV8P8HAQ

I also liked the look of that HUD helmet:
https://www.skully.com/

I understand that the kickstarter, blah blah, Skully not ready yet but soon.
It looks cool though, and I like the idea of a helmet HUD.

I don't know about the armored pants. I mean, wouldn't I have to wear that bulky poo poo around all day?
Cant I just sport some assless chaps and a handlebar mustache?

I was also looking at stuff for theft prevention. Like maybe a lockable helmet bag, and one of those Tile bluetooth locators I could glue into it too?
Am I being naive? I saw a whole lot of "just carry your helmet around with you, or drive your car".
What do you guys do.
I mean, if I shelled out 400$ for a Skully, I'd hate it if a 15 year old me spat in it as he was walking by, but I figure people would be as likely to steal the fairings as they would a locked helmet bag.

Anybody here have some rear end in a top hat load their bike up into a van like the scary scary internet tells me people do?

Solvent fucked around with this message at 11:58 on May 4, 2016

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I personally wouldn't buy a skully because all that poo poo reeks of distracting gimmick that wouldn't survive the first rain. Also looks like a lot of extra weight. gently caress everything about that.

I ride around in a Shoei X-12 and where I go, it goes. I never leave anything on my bike, but that's a preference. If you get a lockable case, it might discourage casual theft, but honestly don't put anything in there you aren't prepared to lose. Kind of like why you shouldn't leave anything valuable in your car. It does require a little more forward planning than driving a car. I have to think about where I'm going to keep my gear once I get to where I'm going.

As far as riding gear goes; Draggin make kevlar lined jeans which are reasonably discrete and you can wear them all day if you want to. Its not as good as full leathers, but its better than nothing. I wear normal jeans (because I can't find kevlars that fit) but leathers for the rest. I accept the reality that if I come off I'm going to lose my rear end skin, but that's ok its not like I'm a Chippendale and have to give a drat about that.

As far as motorcycle theft goes, not a lot you can do except keep it locked up when its at home, and have it insured just in case.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A good insurance is your best protection against theft.

I just carry my helmet with me and don't keep any valuables on the bike. I have a hefty chain with a ground anchor at home, but when I'm elsewhere I just use a disc lock that I keep under the saddle.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Top boxes are always good :unclesay:

Solvent posted:

I don't know about the armored pants. I mean, wouldn't I have to wear that bulky poo poo around all day?

You can get strap on kneepads rather than armoured pants if you're more likely to wear them. You lose some abrasion protection and all the impact protection over your thighs and hips, but any gear you wear is infinitely better than nothing.

Personally I'm a fan of mk1 rev'it airwave overpants, since they're pretty easy to whip off at your destination due to having a zip up the inside of the legs. There should be a bunch on closeout right now as they're being replaced by a new version.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Solvent posted:

I also liked the look of that HUD helmet:
https://www.skully.com/

I understand that the kickstarter, blah blah, Skully not ready yet but soon.
It looks cool though, and I like the idea of a helmet HUD.

Also the Skully is 1500$. I had been looking at it until I saw the price tag.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Solvent posted:

I was also looking at stuff for theft prevention. Like maybe a lockable helmet bag, and one of those Tile bluetooth locators I could glue into it too?
Am I being naive? I saw a whole lot of "just carry your helmet around with you, or drive your car".
What do you guys do.
I mean, if I shelled out 400$ for a Skully, I'd hate it if a 15 year old me spat in it as he was walking by, but I figure people would be as likely to steal the fairings as they would a locked helmet bag.

Anybody here have some rear end in a top hat load their bike up into a van like the scary scary internet tells me people do?

The best gear is the gear you'll wear. If you don't think you'd be comfortable walking around in riding pants and consciously acknowledge that you're less protected than you could be, then there's nothing else to say there. However, as people have mentioned, there are alternatives. You can get armored shorts and/or knee guards that you can wear under normal pants, but you lose out on any abrasion protection. There's also riding jeans (some with armor, some without) that get a little closer to providing full protection, but, simply because they're styled to look like normal pants, won't be quite as protective as a well-fitted pair of textile or leather (leather being better vis a vis protection).

Pants are probably the least worn piece of gear, which is strange, because there is never an accident that isn't going to involve your legs in some way. I had a lowside a couple years ago at ~25mph and slid on one of my legs, on the asphault, for about 20 feet. Because of my pants, I was able to stand up afterwards and walk over to my bike, rather than having to go to the hospital to get road grit fished out of my skin.

I always just carried my helmet around with me. You can also get lockable tail trunks big enough for a helmet, run a locking cable through it and the bikes frame, or simply use the little helmet lock points that a lot of bikes have. None of those guarantee that someone determined enough isn't going to snatch it though.

As far as theft protection goes, the best is full coverage insurance. No matter what you do, if your bike is outside, it can be stolen. Disk locks, steering locks, huge chains, tarps, alarms, etc. will deter a large amount of thieves, but not all of them. If someone wants your bike, they'll get it eventually. This totally depends on where it would be parked of course, I've never worried about my particular bikes because they were always ugly as poo poo and I parked in relatively safe places, but that's not to say that they were thief-proof.

Solvent posted:

Edit:
Like brands and styles?

Thankfully, with how many quality brands there are, you've got a big range of style to choose from. Here are some stores to look at:
http://www.revzilla.com/ (probably a forum favorite, and -Inu- works here, so he can give a lot of specific information about what they stock)
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/
http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/
http://www.teizms.com/
https://www.aerostich.com/

And as I said above, the best gear is the gear you'll wear, but the recommendations you'll typically get here are:
Helmet: full face and either Snell or ECE certified
Jacket: armored and designed for riding (there's a lot of cosmetic riding jackets that don't have armor and aren't rated for abrasion resistance)
Gloves: gauntlet gloves that go past your wrist
Pants: refer to big effort paragraph above
Boots: go past your ankle and designed for riding (again, lots of cool looking cosmetic choices that unfortunately wouldn't do much in a crash)

It's worth finding a store nearby to try on some gear. Even if you end up buying online, it'll be easier once you know how certain brands/sizes fit, as there is a lot of variation in cuts and shapes. This goes triple for helmets, especially your first one.

Your best bet is to find some stuff on those sites that you like the look of and we can make more pointed suggestions.
:siren:And look at the closeout sections on each website:siren: you can get some amazing gear for super cheap just because it's last years stuff.
Hope this helps :downs:

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 4, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Solvent posted:

Be back soon!

Holy loving poo poo.
This guy went from being suspect troll, to cool as hell in an instant.

Solvent posted:

Edit:
Like brands and styles?

You'll fit in well here friend.

Avoid Bilt and Sedici for the most part. Arai, Shoei, Alpinestars are all good brands in my experience. There are lots of other good brands that I have not put through their paces.

Don't waste time with just 'back protectors' and 'elbow pads.'
Get a full faced helmet and good gloves, a jacket, boots, AND PANTS.
If you so much as fall off your bike standing still, your jeans are gonna get torn up, and you'll end up with a nasty boo-boo.

I recommend Held gloves. They're really comfy and have saved my rear end a few times. Even when I was an idiot and wore a pair that I'd already wrecked they still saved my skin. Alpinestars also makes some nice gauntlets.

I also recommend Shoei helmets in general, but honestly you're going to have to try a bunch of poo poo on to see what fits. Shoei, Arai, AGV, Bell, Icon (do we like Icon, guys?) all fit very differently. I like Shoei because I have a tiny head and their shell sizes are smaller for their smalls. They're not just medium shells with bigger pads.
HJC is a good entry-level, affordable brand.

No one seems to like jackets I recommend them so I'll just skip that. But please be sure to get a full coverage jacket with ce armor built in. You'll thank me when you catch a rock to the shoulder/chest/elbow. I took a screwdriver to the shoulder at 70mph and it stung a bit, but my arm is still attached thanks to shoulderpads.
The same applies for pants. Leather is best, with pads for when you fall down and go boom.

Boots are super crucial. Please get boots. Get the best boots you can find. The higher up they go, the better, but make sure they at least cover your ankle and feel like they can withstand being run over by a car. That'll come in handy when that first car runs over your foot and you still have to scramble to get out of oncoming traffic.

All said and done you should feel like an iron clad knight, or RoboCop when you're all dawned up.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Icon (do we like Icon, guys?)

They're all ECE certified now IIRC. They're probably overpriced compared to similar quality helmets from other brands but :shrug:

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

AncientTV posted:

They're all ECE certified now IIRC. They're probably overpriced compared to similar quality helmets from other brands but :shrug:

An Icon helmet just saved my life, so I really like Icon right now.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Once you're done with all the gear purchases you'll quickly realize bike as savings is a total fantasy.

Still totally worth it!

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
The savings is your sanity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Infinotize posted:

Once you're done with all the gear purchases you'll quickly realize bike as savings is a total fantasy.

Still totally worth it!

Cheaper than a car, not cheap as a second vehicle though