Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I am fine with how the basic Soul Arrows are, their damage is okay for a projectile and with some setup (buff time for steady chant) and wearing all the rings, they're great to clown on some of the harder enemies and I've had good success doing exactly that. I am completely weirded out by how Soul Spear doesn't seem to do any more or even less damage than Great Heavy SA, just for the pierce, I guess???

And even with Good poo poo equipped (okay I haven't gone really high Int + Candlestick yet, but still, both Dragon rings should be plenty) the Homing Soulmasses as well as Pursuers are SUPER TRASH. "less than 100 damage if all Pursuers hit" trash. Mind-boggling. I wonder if you can make them...useable if you really dedicate yourself to pushing the damage, 60 Int and the best catalyst and always buff it, use the Candlestick and wear both Rings, but that seems absurd. I don't get it. I constantly thought I was doing something wrong.

Flashsword is cool, not amazing but fills a nice niche and can be a very nice surprise, and it's fine if it doesn't deal much damage. The swords however, why bother? Both (especially the Dark one, haha) deal less damage than GHSA. Yes, AOE. But still, that's nonsense, they have no range, that's far too much of a disadvantage already.

On the flipside, Chaos Bed Dregs (did I get the name right?) regularily almost one-shots me in PvP. Soooo yeah.

EDIT: Don't miss a good effortpost on Alva, Karla and Zullie on the bottom of the previous page!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

If I were to make one small change to help wizards in this game it would be making FP slowly regen over time, with it increasing faster with higher INT.

Too bad it still wouldn't be worth it because spells in this game are universally garbage all but handful.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Dark spells only gain appropriate scaling when used with their respective dark catalyst (Izalith, Caitha's, Pyro Flame), which is something to keep in mind.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

with estocs the way they are and the Black Hand hat, sort of surprised no one's done an El Zorro yet

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
One important thing for sorcerers re: scholar's candlestick is you can get it before Grand Archives by sending Greirat to Irithyll and making sure he's alive at the end (that means kill Pontiff before you go to Profane Capital and get your soulmass/soul spear spells). He will have it for sale.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Alabaster White posted:

Dark spells only gain appropriate scaling when used with their respective dark catalyst (Izalith, Caitha's, Pyro Flame), which is something to keep in mind.

Ew.. well the dark miracles aren't that cool looking anyway

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

I am fine with how the basic Soul Arrows are, their damage is okay for a projectile and with some setup (buff time for steady chant) and wearing all the rings, they're great to clown on some of the harder enemies and I've had good success doing exactly that. I am completely weirded out by how Soul Spear doesn't seem to do any more or even less damage than Great Heavy SA, just for the pierce, I guess???

And even with Good poo poo equipped (okay I haven't gone really high Int + Candlestick yet, but still, both Dragon rings should be plenty) the Homing Soulmasses as well as Pursuers are SUPER TRASH. "less than 100 damage if all Pursuers hit" trash. Mind-boggling. I wonder if you can make them...useable if you really dedicate yourself to pushing the damage, 60 Int and the best catalyst and always buff it, use the Candlestick and wear both Rings, but that seems absurd. I don't get it. I constantly thought I was doing something wrong.

Flashsword is cool, not amazing but fills a nice niche and can be a very nice surprise, and it's fine if it doesn't deal much damage. The swords however, why bother? Both (especially the Dark one, haha) deal less damage than GHSA. Yes, AOE. But still, that's nonsense, they have no range, that's far too much of a disadvantage already.

On the flipside, Chaos Bed Dregs (did I get the name right?) regularily almost one-shots me in PvP. Soooo yeah.

EDIT: Don't miss a good effortpost on Alva, Karla and Zullie on the bottom of the previous page!

First off, the basic soul arrows are great for the beginning of the game, but great soul arrows quickly make them obsolete later in the game. All the greater versions of those spells take precedence over their normal counterparts with enough FP to readily use them as a full sorcery caster build. Also Crystal Soul Spear is far superior to GHSA (regular soul spear is complete trash) when your trying to max out intellect. Sure it costs a lot more than GHSA but the damage will by far surpass it.

Flashsword is great but needs a lot of intellect to do decent damage and against higher poise enemies in PVP, which for sorcerers, thats almost all the time.

Also its Chaos Bed Vestiges and yea it does a lot of damage but is incredibly easy to dodge.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

MarshyMcFly posted:

All the greater versions of those spells take precedence over their normal counterparts with enough FP to readily use them as a full sorcery caster build.

The only exception to this I would note is sometimes great soul arrow can be preferable to GHSA due to the speed at which it casts, especially if you aren't using sage ring and instead using damage rings in all 4 slots. It's all fairly irrelevant when you get to CSS level but that's not till the end of the game.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

net cafe scandal posted:

Ew.. well the dark miracles aren't that cool looking anyway

They're also really, really bad. The Gnaw line deals poo poo Dark damage but great bleeding damage, at the cost of them shooting out a projectile that casts and travels at the pace of someone taking a leisurely Sunday stroll. Lifehunt Scythe sucks - there's no way to pretty it up. It does bad damage, gives bad healing returns, has a really awkward hitbox, and a windup that plants a gigantic bullseye on your back in PVP. I don't think I've ever considered doing anything other than popping Aldrich's soul to get a single level in any of my runs.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Hey you could have also received a lovely bow out of that soul!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

turtlecrunch posted:

Hey you could have also received a lovely bow out of that soul!

The right hand was not talking to the left when they made that thing. Yeah, a split damage bow in a game with the return of flat damage reduction. Sounds like a neat time!

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I'm in Cathedral of the Deep, and only found the first bonfire in the church, but SOMETHING is causing a large amount of blood loss. No idea what it would be. Any thoughts?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I like DS3. I think, at its core, it is A Good Video Game.

But here's the thing: we got three Souls games in three consecutive years, and DS3 is where the cracks have really started to show. This isn't the kind of game you can turn into an annual franchise, even for a short time. It's a really rare feeling to finish a game that I really enjoyed but still feel like I'm glad they're not going to make another one, at least not before taking a good, long break to do something else.

Capsaicin posted:

I'm in Cathedral of the Deep, and only found the first bonfire in the church, but SOMETHING is causing a large amount of blood loss. No idea what it would be. Any thoughts?

Some of the enemies cover you in leeches if they hit you. Equip a torch and they'll fall off immediately. I recommend keeping a torch in one of your offhand slots to switch to quickly when you need to shake off the leeches.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Harrow posted:

I like DS3. I think, at its core, it is A Good Video Game.

But here's the thing: we got three Souls games in three consecutive years, and DS3 is where the cracks have really started to show. This isn't the kind of game you can turn into an annual franchise, even for a short time. It's a really rare feeling to finish a game that I really enjoyed but still feel like I'm glad they're not going to make another one, at least not before taking a good, long break to do something else.

Yeah, I've spent countless hours on Dark Souls 1 and 2 and I likely will do the same for 3 but I can't help but feel glad that this is it for a while

Raccoonboy
May 31, 2011

Capsaicin posted:

It's leeches, get your torch out and the bloodloss will go away

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Speaking of torches, I feel like they finally got torches Right in this game. They were horribly obtuse in DS2 and pretty-good-but-not-quite-there in BB, with the addition of the L1 torch raise (rather than the "guard" stance in BB) it really adds to the feeling of being an explorer. Not to mention the fire and lighting in this game are the best they've ever looked in the Souls series.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Harrow posted:

The core issue, I think, is that DS2 made them wary of messing with The Brand. I mean this merely in terms of mechanics: DS2 attempted to innovate, however slightly, by introducing things like variable dodge distances, ADP, a change to the Poise system, startup frames for parrying, Lifegems, slow Estus, etc. DS3 backtracked on the majority of these (sometimes for the better; no one will miss ADP) and added almost nothing new to the core gameplay. Three games in, I'm still just dodge rolling/blocking the attacks of enemies, and then hitting them when they're in recovery frames. That isn't cutting the mustard any more. The series needed innovation, but Namco-Bandai (and, probably, From Software) wanted a big financial hit, and that meant appealing to nostalgia (remember when DS1 had flat elemental damage reduction? you kids loved that, right?) rather than attempting to take the series in a new, potentially divisive direction with its gameplay.

The best thing that they could do at this point is just dump the Dark Souls series in the bin and start up a new series where they have more freedom to innovate with the core formula. Consumer expectations (or, at least, the perception of consumer expectations) are anchoring the series with tired mechanics. It's a bitter irony that the series has started to, itself, Hollow: a shambling reminder of a past life that crudely imitates what it once was, refusing to let go. I expect (and hope) Miyazaki isn't a dummy and is just going to flat out refuse any further DS games, unless they seriously take a good, long look at the game's core action RPG systems and are willing to take the dive. Otherwise, just let the drat thing have its final rest.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

gently caress Smoldering Lake.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Re: Blue Sentinel chat.

I can't speak directly to the Sentinels because I've never used it, but I was getting summoned for the Darkmoon bro convenant so often I had to turn it off so I could progress. I haven't used that covenant in a while tho. Weirdly, I was even getting summoned as far away as Smoldering lake when I was in the Dungeons or something. It was odd, but fun.

So I don't think whatever is wrong with this affects everyone equally. Definitely a strange issue.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Ice Fist posted:

Re: Blue Sentinel chat.

I can't speak directly to the Sentinels because I've never used it, but I was getting summoned for the Darkmoon bro convenant so often I had to turn it off so I could progress. I haven't used that covenant in a while tho. Weirdly, I was even getting summoned as far away as Smoldering lake when I was in the Dungeons or something. It was odd, but fun.

So I don't think whatever is wrong with this affects everyone equally. Definitely a strange issue.

It really just depends on how much faith you have in the one true God. I assume you're a practicing Christian like me, yes?

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

net cafe scandal posted:

It really just depends on how much faith you have in the one true God. I assume you're a practicing Christian like me, yes?

Faith is all we have to go on because most of us sure as hell aren't finding any Proof from it. :v:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Babe Magnet posted:

If I were to make one small change to help wizards in this game it would be making FP slowly regen over time, with it increasing faster with higher INT.

Too bad it still wouldn't be worth it because spells in this game are universally garbage all but handful.

Well, there IS the Simple infusion.

But, well, it needs the Giants Coal, seems to end up weaker than Crystal(?)l, and for the final ballbuster, the enemies who drop simple gems are Jailers have fun farming that if you want more than two.

But at +10, if gives 1 FP every 2.85 seconds, that's totally worth it right :downs:

Raccoonboy posted:

It's leeches, get your torch out and the bloodloss will go away
My only disappointment with Carthus Flame Arc, is that I still need to pull out a torch (or cast Caressing Tears if you want to be frivolous) to get leeches off me. Because a flaming greatsword doesn't scare them off.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vermain posted:

The core issue, I think, is that DS2 made them wary of messing with The Brand. I mean this merely in terms of mechanics: DS2 attempted to innovate, however slightly, by introducing things like variable dodge distances, ADP, a change to the Poise system, startup frames for parrying, Lifegems, slow Estus, etc. DS3 backtracked on the majority of these (sometimes for the better; no one will miss ADP) and added almost nothing new to the core gameplay. Three games in, I'm still just dodge rolling/blocking the attacks of enemies, and then hitting them when they're in recovery frames. That isn't cutting the mustard any more. The series needed innovation, but Namco-Bandai (and, probably, From Software) wanted a big financial hit, and that meant appealing to nostalgia (remember when DS1 had flat elemental damage reduction? you kids loved that, right?) rather than attempting to take the series in a new, potentially divisive direction with its gameplay.

The best thing that they could do at this point is just dump the Dark Souls series in the bin and start up a new series where they have more freedom to innovate with the core formula. Consumer expectations (or, at least, the perception of consumer expectations) are anchoring the series with tired mechanics. It's a bitter irony that the series has started to, itself, Hollow: a shambling reminder of a past life that crudely imitates what it once was, refusing to let go. I expect (and hope) Miyazaki isn't a dummy and is just going to flat out refuse any further DS games, unless they seriously take a good, long look at the game's core action RPG systems and are willing to take the dive. Otherwise, just let the drat thing have its final rest.

I think we'll probably all disagree on which changes from DS2 deserved to be carried forward and which are fine left in the past (except ADP, anyone who likes ADP is a monster), but yeah, DS2 does appear to have had a good Poise system and its handling of defenses is much more coherent and logical than DS1/3's. I'm honestly not sure if they walked that back because they were afraid of people who didn't like DS2 railing against those, or if Miyazaki just likes how he did things in DS1 better independent of fan reaction to DS2. Like, is flat elemental damage reduction really appealing to nostalgia? Honest question--were there people who missed that? Because those people were nuts.

That said, I don't think I can attribute DS3's problems to blind appeal to DS1 fans. Some of them, sure, but I really do like its parry mechanics and overall "gamefeel" better than DS2's (at least for PvE purposes). Many of my biggest issues with it are just down to really shoddy balancing and sloppy technical execution in some really noticeable areas.

Maybe this is why I find Nioh so refreshing. To be fair, the demo doesn't show it doing Souls things as well as Souls does--but I'm hyped anyway because its core gameplay (its combat) is different, very different, and it's really, really fun. That's also why I like Bloodborne so much. Its core gameplay isn't a huge departure from Souls, but it's enough of one that it felt refreshing, even now that I've gone back to it after playing DS3 a bunch. I hope they continue in that direction: I'd love to see them make more action-RPGs, and experiment more with getting away from "block/dodge, attack, block/dodge, attack" in each one.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Just FYI, you only need one fp to cast weapon arts, so shields with simple infusion are pretty good.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Alabaster White posted:

This is not actually true, IIRC. Dark magic scales with your catalyst's spell buff, same as all other magic. It's just that there's a staff, chime, and talisman made especially for a dark build, as they scale well with both Int and Fth. With high Int and Court Sorcerer's you'll still get good damage with dark sorceries, for example.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

net cafe scandal posted:

Church every day at 6:00am

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Ineffiable posted:

Just FYI, you only need one fp to cast weapon arts, so shields with simple infusion are pretty good.

Yes, good for melee. For sorcerers...CSS costs 55 MP. :downs:

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
If you're going sorcery you're pretty much hosed to begin with.

Mimingless
Nov 23, 2007
Oh no, I have a self-esteem issue

Simply Simon posted:

Ah, are you sure you're counting the damage on the Soulmasses and Affinity correctly? I stopped at 50 Int instead of going to 60 and they're both still pretty drat strong - but I can't test them on the hollows outside Firelink because the first hit always kills them and that hit alone does over 100 damage. In bossfights though, landing all hits of Homing Crystal Soulmass was roughly equivalent to hitting with a Crystal Soul Spear. And Affinity was a big help for Oceiros, resisting magic damage as he does.

As for Greatsword and Edge, they have their uses. Greatsword for the AOE(It was super fun for Deacons!) and both of them for their knockdown. Dark Edge especially - it was my best friend when I got around to killing Tsorig. And Greatsword has the weird niche use of cutting through pillars to the enemy on the other side of them, which I kinda abused in Carthus and the Demon Ruins. :v:

EDIT: I should note, usually run two damage rings but no candlestick, bringing the candlestick out for bosses. Still though with 50 Int my homing spells were very helpful against normal enemies - Crystal Soulmass against the Lothric Knights and Affinity the Cathedral Knights outside Oceiros being what I remember most recently - and I'm pretty sure the Cathedral Knights resist dark! Ah, and the only time I ever bothered with Steady Chant was for weapon buffing.

Mimingless fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 4, 2016

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Is there an agreed upon meta level for General pvp fight club fun? I've never really been much of one for pvp in previous souls games but i feel like it's easier to have fun with in this one so I'm holding off on NG+ for a bit. I'm level 100 but wondering if I should go further

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

CharlestonJew posted:

now I'm wondering what'll happen if you talk to Karla for the first time while wearing the Alva set

Probably nothing. The datamined dialogue dump doesn't seem to have Karla saying anything you wouldn't normally see, aside from what looks like an unused alternative line from an early version of the game where she was named "Feria of the Profaned Capital".

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Harrow posted:

I think we'll probably all disagree on which changes from DS2 deserved to be carried forward and which are fine left in the past (except ADP, anyone who likes ADP is a monster), but yeah, DS2 does appear to have had a good Poise system and its handling of defenses is much more coherent and logical than DS1/3's. I'm honestly not sure if they walked that back because they were afraid of people who didn't like DS2 railing against those, or if Miyazaki just likes how he did things in DS1 better independent of fan reaction to DS2. Like, is flat elemental damage reduction really appealing to nostalgia? Honest question--were there people who missed that? Because those people were nuts.

I understand the theory behind Agility, But not 'please invest in stat to use items and shields faster than frozen molases mixed with liquid nitrogen' Adaptability that mostly added to it.

But the fact every class starts worse than a DS1 Fat roll in I-frames was just hosed up. No matter how many people praise "But with enough levels, you can have great I-Frames in Havels!". If you started at mid roll I frames (or even 10), and then could invest into Fast Roll, and with effort get a Ninja Roll, sure.

But nope, gonna give some classes five loving I frames until they google up how to get 8, and then work their way up to DS1 fatroll territory :sigh:

Fake Edit: Oh my bad, Sorcerer and Explorer had 9 I-frames to start, so not every class had it worse than a fat roll :toot:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Try a gesture when standing in front of the Fire Keeper.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

edit: nvm, wrong thread

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

MMD3 posted:

Is there an agreed upon meta level for General pvp fight club fun? I've never really been much of one for pvp in previous souls games but i feel like it's easier to have fun with in this one so I'm holding off on NG+ for a bit. I'm level 100 but wondering if I should go further

80, 100, and 120 are all currently pretty active. 100 is probably the best for now.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Vermain posted:

Verisimilidude posted:

gently caress Smoldering Lake.

I agree with both of these posts.

Maybe because I did things right and respecced halfway through the game I don't understand, but having switched to sorcery after commiting papicide, I'm finding it pretty badass. 800-1000 damage on an easily repeatable ranged attack is ridiculous, even if it does have a windup. The flashsword is also not bad at all. It's quick, has great reach, doesn't bounce off walls, uses low stamina and deals decent damage. It does less damage than a straightsword, but has more utility and the focus cost is easily bearable. Great Heavy Soul Arrow compares pretty favorably to Great Chaos Fire Orb and comes with a more diverse and useful spell set as well. I wish that soul greatsword cost a little less focus, though. It's a nice spell, but the focus cost is just too high for the damage it deals.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
If the queen of Lothric was some relation of Gwynevere's/Gwynevere herself, maybe she took Ocelotte with her when she fled and stopped back at Anor Londo to give the baby to Gwyndolin. As Oceiros was a nut she disavowed the baby's name and let Gwyndolin rename it, or did so herself. Gwyndolin then raised the baby as his sister. Eh? Ehhh? :shrug:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I bet you get summoned as a blue cop a lot as low levels

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Gotta admit I''m not really buying DS3 so far. I just fought a large frost dog armor thing and 90% of my screen was filled with his rear end at any given moment.

Which is fine because so far circle strafing is king. Does it get better?

I do like how you actually have to straight-up run past certain enemies this time around. It's a cool little thing like those hidden black goo monsters that show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Red Mundus posted:

Gotta admit I''m not really buying DS3 so far. I just fought a large frost dog armor thing and 90% of my screen was filled with his rear end at any given moment.

Which is fine because so far circle strafing is king. Does it get better?

Well, you fight a relative with a much nicer rear end, at least.