Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Both my Brother printers (one just a black and white laser thing and the other some color scanner all in one) are reliable, only lightly sip ink and haven't done anything super annoying in the two years of owning them. They also have a pretty good third party ink market so you can refill them for cheap when they eventually do run out.

Only complain is the color scanner ink jet one randomly turns on once in a while to self clean or whatever (like every few days) and sometimes it's at three in the morning and wakes me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
i got a brother laser jet and its pretty rad

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Brother MFC units are all my office uses now. They're super reliable, they work well with inexpensive off brand toner, scan quality is good and they can print quickly

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I had an Epson printer that was profoundly awful. Soured me on the brand.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

holocaust bloopers posted:

I have one, it gets like 3 or 4 prints per cartridge.

I print at the library on campus.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Every HP printer or printer/scanner I have had has been a god drat nightmare.

But some people swear by them.

Brothers however is awesome from what everyone I know who has one says.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Epsons are easily the worst. We had a few at first and one ended up getting thrown out our back door on to the pavement after it had a cart rupture and clog itself and spit out a few pages of paper dripping wet with ink.

We were trying to print up a services contract for a chain of convenience stores who had just signed on

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea I gave up on that garbage person a printer and did that at the school library.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm looking at getting a new printer to replace my HP and I'm starting to think Brother is the way to go. All I really need is print, scan, and copy on a small scale as it's just for homework and the occasional document. Which one should I go with?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Just to throw more poo poo into the mix my colour laser Samsung is pretty drat good.

It's a C1810W for those following at home that I picked up on sale for 200 bucks. It's not a scanner though so I can't comment about that.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Pesticide20 posted:

I'm looking at getting a new printer to replace my HP and I'm starting to think Brother is the way to go. All I really need is print, scan, and copy on a small scale as it's just for homework and the occasional document. Which one should I go with?

Brother MFC-J6520DW

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
it''s always great when you find out you can half rear end a final and get an A/B

just found this out for my AI class. Sitting at ~71% not counting the final, and it's worth 25% hahahahahaha

good luck with your finals, you animals

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
i didn't even study or anything, got 104% on my geology minerals test. geology is cool :cool:

also thanks for everyone chiming in about printers. hopefully i can smash this piece of poo poo with a sledge hammer soon and run it over with my truck.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Mike-o posted:

i didn't even study or anything, got 104% on my geology minerals test. geology is cool :cool:

also thanks for everyone chiming in about printers. hopefully i can smash this piece of poo poo with a sledge hammer soon and run it over with my truck.

I lit one on fire in my drive way.

gently caress HP.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9wsjroVlu8

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I forgot how fun job hunting is. I should have done more earlier in the year but I had too much other poo poo going on. So far I've got 2 no-interview rejections for summer internships, and those were the 2 I felt good about. No internship, no graduation in December :suicide:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Casimir Radon posted:

I forgot how fun job hunting is. I should have done more earlier in the year but I had too much other poo poo going on. So far I've got 2 no-interview rejections for summer internships, and those were the 2 I felt good about. No internship, no graduation in December :suicide:

Your department should be helping you get leads on internships if you can't do it on your own. That's what they're for.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Vasudus posted:

Your department should be helping you get leads on internships if you can't do it on your own. That's what they're for.
They have a job board but there's nothing on there right now. My advisor pretty much told me I should have hit it harder, sooner. Unfortunately that's easier said than done when you've got 5 classes and undergrad research to do. I can still potentially do one in the fall though I'd rather not cut it that close. The whole thing is a bit of a kick in the balls since I probably lost out to kids whose only work experience is in the food industry.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

They have a job board but there's nothing on there right now. My advisor pretty much told me I should have hit it harder, sooner. Unfortunately that's easier said than done when you've got 5 classes and undergrad research to do. I can still potentially do one in the fall though I'd rather not cut it that close. The whole thing is a bit of a kick in the balls since I probably lost out to kids whose only work experience is in the food industry.

dusted

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
uh what are the requirements for the internship? You can come by and clean my apartment up and I'll sign whatever you want

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Has to to have a large GIS component.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Well, turns out I can't get directly into the CS Master's program I wanted on account of my undergrad grades being loving atrocious. I guess "C is for Commission" wasn't the best educational strategy to employ 20 years ago.

I'll need to go back to do some undergrad work first and get better grades at it, then re-apply. It turns out though, that the local community college has a few Bachelor's programs and a few are in CS/IT stuff. I talked to them and they will accept up to 90 credits of undergraduate transfer credit from my first degree. I should be able to transfer in enough creds to avoid most of the the bullshit courses and knock out a second bachelor's in a year to a year and a half, maybe including summer courses.

Of course my wife gave me a lecture on why I should have studied harder 20 years ago. Because I hadn't already figured that out.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kiryen posted:

Well, turns out I can't get directly into the CS Master's program I wanted on account of my undergrad grades being loving atrocious. I guess "C is for Commission" wasn't the best educational strategy to employ 20 years ago.

I'll need to go back to do some undergrad work first and get better grades at it, then re-apply. It turns out though, that the local community college has a few Bachelor's programs and a few are in CS/IT stuff. I talked to them and they will accept up to 90 credits of undergraduate transfer credit from my first degree. I should be able to transfer in enough creds to avoid most of the the bullshit courses and knock out a second bachelor's in a year to a year and a half, maybe including summer courses.

Of course my wife gave me a lecture on why I should have studied harder 20 years ago. Because I hadn't already figured that out.

I wouldn't bother with the second bachelor's if you're already planning on doing the master's. Just take the prerequisites at community college like you were already planning on doing, but make sure to get the admissions team/department head to certify that they'll accept them beforehand.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I passed Gen Chem II. I'm taking a "maymester" summer course, but from here it looks like I actually made it through my first year of actual full-time veteran science studenting at a real university. This is a big deal for me - the last time I took a science class was 15 years ago in high school, and I failed that poo poo.

Cracking a beer and rolling a tremendous bone.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

DownByTheWooter posted:

I passed Gen Chem II. I'm taking a "maymester" summer course, but from here it looks like I actually made it through my first year of actual full-time veteran science studenting at a real university. This is a big deal for me - the last time I took a science class was 15 years ago in high school, and I failed that poo poo.

Summer courses are pretty great at CU. I took a full semesters worth between maymester and one of the summer terms and nearly got straight As while still having time to go on some camping trips.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

DownByTheWooter posted:

Congrats man, it's an awesome feeing. As always, a PM away if you need any help.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
hahaha look at these freaking idiots "almost" getting straight As

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
grats nerds

earned my first uni a+ this week in artificial intelligence. It was the hardest fuckin' class I've ever taken, and I'm glad it's over with. I thought I was going to get a fuckin' C the entire semester until pre final grades were posted, and I managed to ace the final. poo poo we started with 60 students and only about 20 showed for the final. It's like god drat computer science selection.

1 class left...

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 5, 2016

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

at the date posted:

p-please notice me :qq:

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

Casimir Radon posted:

Condolences. I'm job hunting and have the opposite "problem" because I figured I wouldn't get many interviews so I applied for a bunch of federal jobs and ended up with interviews for almost all of them. Already turned down two offers and I'm dragging out a third while I wait to hear back on a sweet job near Denver that I interviewed for last week. I'm finishing up an MA in history and there's a lot of stuff out there for history dorks if you expand your search to include museums and archives.

Printer chat: Get a laser printer, it'll change your life.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

at the date posted:

I miss those days :(
Nowadays, I have to hustle hard just to get an A-. If I get an actual A, it's through sheer luck.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I got a 3.51 for my comm degree.

Get on my level, dick lords

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
:smug::smug::smug:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
got a 2.0 gpa from 15 years ago :smug:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
2.7 undergrad 3.85 grad. Never listed it on my resume, never got asked in several interviews.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
can we humblebrag about asvab scores now

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

can we humblebrag about asvab scores now

Unlike the ASVAB, depending on your field your GPA actually matters a whole lot though.

Not mine though, hence :thejoke:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
thats cool i was on heroin and also drank 4 gallons of vodka right before the test and got a 99 :smug:

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

TheQuietWilds posted:

Congrats man, it's an awesome feeing. As always, a PM away if you need any help.

thx bro

I signed up for my fall classes

Physics I and Calc II :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm riding the bell curve at law school but have high enough grades in my business classes to get honors on my business certificate.

• Locked thread