Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Microsoft is notorious for making the worst possible ui decisions and has a bad case of "if it aint broke, we are going to make drat sure to break it in the next major version" when it comes to interface design.

Their latest bright idea was to remove the start menu from 8. Literally the centerpiece of the Windows OS since 95 and one of their best most intuitive ui fratures ever. Adored by all users. So let's take it out!!!! :downs: but keep ribbon! That poo poo is gold

At least start is back in 10 but not without leaving tons of overly bloated with dumb poo poo tacked on to the right expanse.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Hang on i did the rest of the ribbon

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mobile is big now? HOLY poo poo I KNOW, LET'S MAKE WINDOWS WORK LIKE A TABLET OS, BET APPLE NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Video

Media

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

DrBouvenstein posted:

God, I hate regular Server 2012. 2012 R2 is fine, it's basically the server version of upgrading to 8.1. You can boot/log in straight to the Desktop, and you get the Start Menu back. The 2012 R2 (and 8.1) start menu is actually really useful, right-clicking gives you a ton of easy options like restart/shutdown/logout, Control Panel, Task Manager, Command Prompt, etc...

But yeah, in vanilla 8 and 2012, having to find the "magic spot" to hover the cursor to trigger the options is infuriating.
Also, and this is another work thing, if you are remoted into one of these servers and need the start button that's not a start button you have to hover into the last 3 or so pixels into the bottom left hand corner to get the blue-box start thingy. And if you barely miss too far to the left and that server window was on your right monitor well poo poo now you just clicked into your center's monitor's (primary desktop) bottom right hand corner which is the show desktop for all monitors button so everything gets minimized. Convoluted I know but someone out there has probably also done this 50 times because we cannot have a start button in server 2012.

We have to keep servers at all versions to ensure our software works in all server versions (at least one of each supported ver) so upgrading is not an option.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

8 track betamax posted:

So who is putting youtube videos into their word documents???????

Probably the people that still use Word to make HTML pages.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I wish old people adding images to word documents in order to send said image to another person was a relic.

kilogram
Mar 29, 2012

Cyborg Senator

Bonzo posted:

Probably the people that still use Word to make HTML pages.

I had no idea this was a thing, I always assumed Frontpage was the weapon of choice for people who have no business making web pages but do it anyway.

I hate seeing people write academic works in Word or Google Docs instead of glorious LaTeX, despite how much of a relic LaTeX actually is. But I've suffered through it and I want others to suffer with me god dammit :mad:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just tell us angrily how it's pronounced, that should scratch the itch for all of us

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

I wish old people adding images to word documents in order to send said image to another person was a relic.

pfft get with the times grandpa the cool old people all put images in powerpoint presentations where you can have a midi playing the whole time and 10 second long dissolve transitions between the funny pictures

like the one I got from my aunt that had pictures of madeline mcann, including closeups of her freaky eye, and sad music to tug on my heartstrings and make me want to donate money to her neglectful millionaire parents lol

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Data Graham posted:

Mobile is big now? HOLY poo poo I KNOW, LET'S MAKE WINDOWS WORK LIKE A TABLET OS, BET APPLE NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT

Also, let's make our server OS work like a tablet, because reasons!

Sten Freak posted:

Also, and this is another work thing, if you are remoted into one of these servers and need the start button that's not a start button you have to hover into the last 3 or so pixels into the bottom left hand corner to get the blue-box start thingy. And if you barely miss too far to the left and that server window was on your right monitor well poo poo now you just clicked into your center's monitor's (primary desktop) bottom right hand corner which is the show desktop for all monitors button so everything gets minimized. Convoluted I know but someone out there has probably also done this 50 times because we cannot have a start button in server 2012.

This is absolutely terrible and made me glad we were able to upgrade to R2, because ugh.

"How do you get to the start button on the new 2012 servers?"
"Hover your cursor in the all the way bottom left until a thing pops up"
"It's not working"
"Keep trying, jiggle the mouse around until it does"
"Can you please reinstall 2008 R2?"

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I remember when Windows 8 came out, the Network Admin at my company went around with a laptop betting people they couldn't figure out how to get to open a document in Microsoft Word in under a minute. He got me!

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Efexeye posted:

I remember when Windows 8 came out, the Network Admin at my company went around with a laptop betting people they couldn't figure out how to get to open a document in Microsoft Word in under a minute. He got me!

Fun fact: The keyboard shortcuts for Windows and Office haven't changed since 95. Ctrl+O could have made you the office computer stud

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i just pressed ctrl-o and nothing happened

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

kilogram posted:

I had no idea this was a thing, I always assumed Frontpage was the weapon of choice for people who have no business making web pages but do it anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5ZG7-BlG6Q

I'm pretty sure that Project allows you to create "web pages" too.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Efexeye posted:

i just pressed ctrl-o and nothing happened

You have to press ctrl+O inside office to open a document.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Oh, uh, well this guy would just hand you a laptop with the start menu showing and be like 'go ahead, open up a Word doc'...no one knew to just type the name of the program

kilogram
Mar 29, 2012

Cyborg Senator
Yeah I mean who would ever think of using the start menu in 8 like they did in Vista and 7, these computer nerds with their "typing" am I right

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

When I was in elementary school and high school, the schools used this Windows 95 shell replacement called IBM SchoolVista. The login screen looked like the outside of a school, and the "desktop" looked like a classroom. The programs list was a bookshelf. It was designed to ensure that students could only use pre-approved programs. There were also some other features that teachers never used. This was in the middle of the "computer interfaces that look like real life" kick that was mercifully short-lived when people realized it was rear end.

After a little bit of tinkering we found out that you could just run any program you wanted with any Open dialogue by entering *.exe to change the extension it was browsing for to executables, and then you could browse anywhere and right click->run or whatever. Aside from being able to play games (we played some IPX LAN games of Doom for instance) it was nice being able to use a different web browser. SchoolVista was deployed with Netscape 4 which was crappy and outdated at the time and if you went anywhere cool you'd get a ton of Javascript errors. This was the one time in history where Internet Explorer was way better than any of its competition

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bonzo posted:

*breathes heavily, smacks lips, and swallows own(?) saliva loudly for two straight minutes* okay so heres what you do next...

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

WebDog posted:

512kb of only the finest rough stuff!
But to convert to hot hot double sided action you need one of these for the full megabyte!

You were ripped off. The only tool you needed to accomplish that was:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

What on earth is that? One-hole punch for nonstandard binders? Leather punch without adjustable hole size?

Computer viking has a new favorite as of 01:17 on May 5, 2016

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Computer viking posted:

What on earth is that? One-hole punch for nonstandard binders?

yes and I've mostly heard them called "single-hole punch" to differentiate them from the three-hole punch

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

"Print screen key"? Where do I find that on my Microsoft Surface tablet? :smuggo: No please don't put me on probation, I don't really own one! :v:

Of course I don't know how you actually write a document using your tablet, would you seriously use an on-screen keyboard for that?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

BattleMaster posted:

yes and I've mostly heard them called "single-hole punch" to differentiate them from the three-hole punch

Three hole punch? I hadn't even considered that this was one of the fields with many competing standards. Oh well, the two-ring iso standard isn't the greatest.

Buttcoin purse: Type cover. It's not great, but it's a proper keyboard with key switches and separate hard plastic keys, large enough to feel like the bad end of ultrabook keyboards instead of the good end of phone toys. If you were stupid enough to not buy one, then yeah onscreen keyboard. The MS one is a reasonable implementation, but that's not saying much.

Computer viking has a new favorite as of 01:28 on May 5, 2016

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

all Microsoft products are wonderful and full of happiness

edit: IE even capitalizes the M in Microsoft

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

You were ripped off. The only tool you needed to accomplish that was:

I never saw anyone use anything except scissors back in the day.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

all Microsoft products are wonderful and full of happiness

edit: IE even capitalizes the M in Microsoft
Much like Apple will autocorrect for iPhone, iOS, etc.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
iOS autocorrects/capitalizes all kinds of proper nouns, not just Apple-related stuff. It loving capitalizes "Oompa Loompa". Seriously, try it.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Steve Jorbs posted:

Much like Apple will autocorrect for iPhone, iOS, etc.

Aren't you supposed to be dead.

These punchers depending on how they're built also have the disadvantage of possibly becoming dull and then "squeezing" the corner out of the disk instead of making a clean cut.

Just read that that the ILOVEYOU worm turned 16 today. It's funny how these things mutated from the occasional joke virus with sometimes destructive properties for the hell of it to this high-speed blur of highly sophisticated software exploits and ransomware backed by some random mobsters. We're also gonna see a lot more of that because devices getting too "smart" for their own good (IMO). It's amazingly unfun.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Bonzo posted:

I'm not proud of this, but I've made them in Publisher as well.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

JnnyThndrs posted:

I'm not proud of this, but I've made them in Publisher as well.
Way back when I used either Publisher or Hyperstudio to make choose your own adventure type games. I filled our hard drive to capacity because I'd scanned way too much Calvin and Hobbes for that purpose.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Thread Title References Zelda.

This seems like the sort of thing one might have found on the old file sharing networks. So I'm just going to leave this here

Zelda Meets Metal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgefAXTLEwU

e: Also

Doom E1M1 Meets Metal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e87YFaWdiaE

Vanagoon has a new favorite as of 10:27 on May 5, 2016

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Jerry Cotton posted:

I never saw anyone use anything except scissors back in the day.

A friend of mind held a normal hole-punch closed, lined the hole of the floppy up on it and marked on the base of the punch where to hold the disk. Then you just flip it over and punch a perfectly-aligned hole every time with no special tools.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gromit posted:

A friend of mind held a normal hole-punch closed, lined the hole of the floppy up on it and marked on the base of the punch where to hold the disk. Then you just flip it over and punch a perfectly-aligned hole every time with no special tools.

I didn't have autistic friends. One guy was supposedly lactose intolerant.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Is it non-sequitur week and no-one told me?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

WebDog posted:

They did, discs came as double and single sided but double was apparently twice the price, despite the internals being exactly the same.

Cunning people discovered that all you needed to do was cut in a notch into the disc that would allow it to be flipped over to access the other side.
The square hole punch was there to capitalise on this.

I forgot where I read/heard this even though it was like a week or two ago at most...Ooh! I think it was JASON SCOTT, FAMOUS COMPUTER HISTORIAN who said that disks were manufactured as single-sided if the company's internal testing suggested that one side of the disk was not manufactured perfectly, thus everyone who ever used one of those to make a single-sided disk double-sided was virtually guaranteed to end up with a broken disk after a few years.

That was literally the first I had ever heard of that, but he is also one of the only people I could believe would know something so obscure rather than just be making it up, so it is hard to say.

Jason, if you are reading this, and you probably are, know that I am no longer mad at you about refusing to change the one letter in that one text file on behalf of my friend.

thathonkey posted:

At least start is back in 10 but not without leaving tons of overly bloated with dumb poo poo tacked on to the right expanse.
I love Windows 10 ;(

I think you can disable any bloated expanses that you are discussing? Well, O.K., though you probably cannot just fundamentally destroy it.

And now that you mention it, I roll my eyes hard every time I think about the XBox integration that you cannot seem to fully destroy even if you run the command that fully destroys it.

Vanagoon posted:

Doom E1M1 Meets Metal
I am so confused, I thought much of the Doom soundtrack was blatantly ripped metal in the first place? I would assume :thejoke: except...why would someone go to this trouble if they knew that?

Haha...apparently the only difficulty is figuring out which of three different 1980s metal tracks was blatantly lifted for that song: http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Doom_music

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Dr. Quarex posted:

I think you can disable any bloated expanses that you are discussing?

I disabled every privacy-invasive thing in Windows 10 and added Classic Shell and I've had zero problems with Windows 10. I guess people would argue that you shouldn't "have to" do anything to make an OS tolerable to use, but it's literally seconds of your time.

Like, I don't even think about the fact that I'm using Windows 10 until somebody mentions Windows 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

I disabled every privacy-invasive thing in Windows 10

Sure you did.