Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Unrelated: clicking some links today took me to the Murderpedia entry for Mark Sappington, who was schizophrenic, used PCP daily, and believed that voices were telling him to eat human flesh. He murdered several acquaintances and ate part of one of them. I admit I laughed inappropriately on reading that the guy who was partly eaten was named Alton Brown.

http://murderpedia.org/male.S/s/sappington-marc.htm

quote:

Serial killers tend to be older, usually in their thirties; it takes them a while to build up a pattern. Sappington is young and so were his victims. Moreover, his alleged serial spree was unusually sudden.

Serial killers also tend to sexualize their crimes and never more so than when cannibalism is involved, law enforcement experts say. Jeffrey Dahmer is a case in point. He described his cannibalism as the ultimate act of sexual control. But Sappington, the cops say, showed no sign of sexual deviance.

And, of course, serial killers - with the noted exception of the Atlanta child killer Wayne Williams a generation ago - are almost always white. Sappington is African-American, as were all of his alleged victims.

So how did this charming young man, with a quick smile and a quicker wit, become a conniving cannibal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Psychodin
Jun 16, 2007
Lord of the fools

:dukedog:
College Slice

pookel posted:

Unrelated: clicking some links today took me to the Murderpedia entry for Mark Sappington, who was schizophrenic, used PCP daily, and believed that voices were telling him to eat human flesh. He murdered several acquaintances and ate part of one of them. I admit I laughed inappropriately on reading that the guy who was partly eaten was named Alton Brown.

http://murderpedia.org/male.S/s/sappington-marc.htm

He was some good eats, huh?

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Wildfires a couple hundred kilometers north of me have resulted in the evacuation of 60,000 - 70,000 people today. Some of the pictures coming out of Fort McMurray are terrifying.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/alberta/fort-mcmurray-alta-residents-ordered-out-as-wildfire-threatens-city/article29839263/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/live-blog-fort-mcmurray-wildfires-1.3565398

Fire chat is hitting pretty hard today.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
I had to spend some time catching up to this thread (most PYF threads I peruse casually, but this one takes some concentration), and I finally caught up. I just want to say thank you for the fascinating stories. All of them are fantastic, and thank you so much.

TOO MANY GOBLINS
May 31, 2015

Antioch posted:

Wildfires a couple hundred kilometers north of me have resulted in the evacuation of 60,000 - 70,000 people today. Some of the pictures coming out of Fort McMurray are terrifying.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/alberta/fort-mcmurray-alta-residents-ordered-out-as-wildfire-threatens-city/article29839263/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/live-blog-fort-mcmurray-wildfires-1.3565398

Fire chat is hitting pretty hard today.

I live a few hours away from here and the pictures I've been seeing are hosed

This was the road out of fort Mac at about 7 PM

And that was the same road about an hour later. They said on the radio that the whole place has been pretty much leveled by 10 PM :gonk:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
its good people keep living in areas that burn down all the time

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006

verbal enema posted:

I feel this way about living on shorelines or in tornado alley. Any sort of terrible weather system is going to gently caress your poo poo up so obviously its dumb to live in place where earth can just take all your stuff away. Although if you're a poor person you can't just get up and leave so... well you're hosed.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

FalloutGod posted:

I feel this way about living on shorelines or in tornado alley. Any sort of terrible weather system is going to gently caress your poo poo up so obviously its dumb to live in place where earth can just take all your stuff away. Although if you're a poor person you can't just get up and leave so... well you're hosed.

So what we're all supposed to live in Arizona?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In 1998, it seemed like half of Florida caught on fire. We had a drought that summer, and there were fires everywhere. Smoke blanketed North Central Florida counties.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Terrible Opinions posted:

We can never go back to Arizona!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

verbal enema posted:

If they burned down all the time it'd be a lot less of a problem. It's when areas have to be heavily protected (because they're full of houses now) and dont burn down for decades that you start having a serious problem.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006

I live in AZ and I'd move in a heart beat if I could. In 30 years when all the waters gone this place will be bone dry but the HoAs will still demand green grass in all the front yards.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
lol just lol if you live somewhere with an HOA. I deliberately bought my house outside the reach of any grey haired busybody.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

TOO MANY GOBLINS posted:

I live a few hours away from here and the pictures I've been seeing are hosed

This was the road out of fort Mac at about 7 PM

And that was the same road about an hour later. They said on the radio that the whole place has been pretty much leveled by 10 PM :gonk:

:stare:

I'm glad sometimes I live in the UK where the default setting is 'damp', and I am also allowed to hang my washing out in my own garden and let my grass go a bit yellow if I like. Seriously guys you are supposed to be the Land of the Free, what happened.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Rondette posted:

I'm glad sometimes I live in the UK where the default setting is 'damp', and I am also allowed to hang my washing out in my own garden and let my grass go a bit yellow if I like. Seriously guys you are supposed to be the Land of the Free, what happened.

Turns out an awful lot of people like the idea of parlaying their own personal freedom into petty tyranny.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Rondette posted:

Enjoy your short stay as a Libertarian!

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Rondette posted:

Fort McMurray is in Canada.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

pookel posted:

In either case, organizations like Autism Speaks are partly to blame, not only for showing them sympathy but for promoting the narrative that autism is a terrible tragedy. They talk about autism stealing children's souls; they call it a "darkness," they talk about children with dead eyes or who are locked away from the world. It's no surprise that awful consequences result when parents start believing their children are monsters, or would be better off dead.

My cousin has a son who is profoundly autistic. He doesn't speak; he used to communicate a bit using sign language, but that may have stopped. He has violently assaulted his younger siblings and on one occasion set fire to the house. It was only a stroke of luck that prevented his whole family being killed. And the saddest part is that my cousin can't accept that he can't do anything about it, that he can't help his son and that the boy needs to be institutionalised for the sake of his own family.

Is he a monster, though? I don't think so. To be a true monster he'd have to be capable of understanding right and wrong, and he isn't. He doesn't fail to understand the rules or ignore the rules; he just isn't aware that there are rules. There is simply a world with which he has no association. He could kill his parents and his brother and sisters and he wouldn't care. He might not even notice. If that thought doesn't scare the living poo poo out of you, it should.

I have nothing but disgust for a person who would kill their malfunctioning child rather than take responsibility for their care. But I can absolutely understand why they are terrified enough to do it, and why the only push they need is for someone to tell them it's OK because the kid isn't really human. And yeah, it is a loving tragedy, on every level for everyone involved.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
Do the Alberta forest fires affect the oil sands or any tailings ponds around them? Seems like the potential for some bad stuff.

In BC, there are more than the normal numbers of fires too, enough that they can't help Alberta at the moment. Temps around BC broke records in April (Vancouver Sun)

Edit: oops, wrong thread!

Jenny of Oldstones has a new favorite as of 17:56 on May 4, 2016

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
The fires are in the south and not threatening the camps last I heard. I don't know what the impact will be if the fire reaches those areas, but I can't imagine it will be good. Half the people evacuated only had North as an option, towards the camps, because of the two roads south, one was completely hosed by fire and the other was completely hosed by traffic and is also barely a road.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/fort-mcmurray-fire-oilsands-impact-1.3565696

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

DStecks posted:

Fort McMurray is in Canada.
You mean the royalist occupied lands the Northern United States, right?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Besesoth posted:

Turns out an awful lot of people like the idea of parlaying their own personal freedom into petty tyranny.

When you put too many mice in a small space, they start to eat each other. When you do it with people, they form HOAs.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Now imagine being an autistic adult and having to explain to well-meaning friends that Autism Speaks is loving garbage. No, it's not cool that they use the same kind of paternalistic, dehumanizing language that has been used for decades to excuse the systematic institutionalization and torture of disabled children.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judge_Rotenberg_Educational_Center is still operating and still using literal loving torture to modify the behavior of developmentally disabled children, and it's organizations like Autism Speaks that perpetuate the narrative that we're no more than a burden with no rights, agency, or voices of our own, the narrative that allows places like this to continue existing in 2016. Out of sight, out of mind, right?

I make no apologies for how angry this poo poo makes me.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Rondette posted:

I'm glad sometimes I live in the UK where the default setting is 'damp', and I am also allowed to hang my washing out in my own garden and let my grass go a bit yellow if I like.
Yeah, but you have to pay a license fee to own a TV. You don't get to brag about having more freedom.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Antioch posted:

The fires are in the south and not threatening the camps last I heard. I don't know what the impact will be if the fire reaches those areas, but I can't imagine it will be good. Half the people evacuated only had North as an option, towards the camps, because of the two roads south, one was completely hosed by fire and the other was completely hosed by traffic and is also barely a road.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/fort-mcmurray-fire-oilsands-impact-1.3565696

Those roads are also wildly inadequate at the best of times, and hold some of the highest accident records in the country, last I looked.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

pookel posted:

Yeah, but you have to pay a license fee to own a TV. You don't get to brag about having more freedom.

But we don't get adverts every 10 minutes on those channels though :c00lbutt:

Phanatic posted:

When you put too many mice in a small space, they start to eat each other. When you do it with people, they form HOAs.

The street I live on is pretty densely populated and we all rub along/ignore each other nicely, and we don't give a poo poo what our neighbours do in their gardens, within reason (although I was getting tired of hearing next-door but one's dog BARKING non-stop for a couple of hours when I was hanging out my washing and chilling in my garden earlier today)

I didn't mean to start a derail, I just find these cultural differences fascinating. I'm also thankful we don't have to deal with massive forest fires like that one pictured. Most we get around here is a skip on fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATjMxH3-e4Y

RikkiTikkiTavi
Aug 24, 2008

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Now imagine being an autistic adult and having to explain to well-meaning friends that Autism Speaks is loving garbage. No, it's not cool that they use the same kind of paternalistic, dehumanizing language that has been used for decades to excuse the systematic institutionalization and torture of disabled children.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judge_Rotenberg_Educational_Center is still operating and still using literal loving torture to modify the behavior of developmentally disabled children, and it's organizations like Autism Speaks that perpetuate the narrative that we're no more than a burden with no rights, agency, or voices of our own, the narrative that allows places like this to continue existing in 2016. Out of sight, out of mind, right?

Good news! The FDA is banning shock devices: https://www.statnews.com/2016/04/22/electric-shock-fda-ban/

The letters from a survivor of the Judge Rotenberg Center are pretty horrifying and fit in this thread: http://www.autistichoya.com/2013/01/judge-rotenberg-center-survivors-letter.html

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

What would be an effective alternative treatment for those people who engage in extreme SIB, such as eye gouging?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

nocal posted:

What would be an effective alternative treatment for those people who engage in extreme SIB, such as eye gouging?

I would imagine anything that does not further traumatize your patient is a good place to start.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Jesus Christ that and the letter from the former inmate made me so mad that I'm having trouble dealing with it. There's this tendency for people to assume that we've left poo poo like that behind, in terms of both physical and mental disabilities, and so this poo poo gets brushed under the rug when it still loving exists and now I'm just mad.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Let me guess, you get "But you're not like THOSE PEOPLE, you're HIGH FUNCTIONING."

~twitch~

Sorry for derailing, but I want to smack all those people upside the head with a copy of Neurotribes, and then forbid them from opening their mouths to say anything about autism until they've read it cover to cover.

And yeah technically I'm just an "autism mom" but I'm from one of those quirky families and I'm pretty sure I could get a dx myself, so I tend to sympathize more with the autistic kids than with the parents in these cases.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

pookel posted:

Sorry for derailing, but I want to smack all those people upside the head with a copy of Neurotribes, and then forbid them from opening their mouths to say anything about autism until they've read it cover to cover.
I'll just note for the benefit of those reading this thread that Neurodiversity is extremely controversial, both as a concept and a political movement. It's good to view people with neurological disorders as more than just their disability, but trying to extend that to say that actually there's nothing wrong with them and they don't need any treatment is not in anyone's best interest.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Alereon posted:

I'll just note for the benefit of those reading this thread that Neurodiversity is extremely controversial, both as a concept and a political movement. It's good to view people with neurological disorders as more than just their disability, but trying to extend that to say that actually there's nothing wrong with them and they don't need any treatment is not in anyone's best interest.
I gather you haven't read Neurotribes. If you had, you might have noticed that it's pretty clear on the fact that autism can be severely disabling and that many autistic people need accommodations and/or may benefit from certain kinds of therapy and treatment. You might have also noticed that it's a history of autism rather than a piece of neurodiversity advocacy.

On the topic of neurodiversity, I'd recommend reading ASAN's position statements before dismissing groups like them as opposing all treatment of autism. (Note that they explicitly identify as a disability-rights organization.) http://autisticadvocacy.org/home/asan-joins-letter-opposing-harmful-mental-health-bill/position-statements/

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Rondette posted:

You can do all that in America too. You just can't do it where the rich people live. Don't you have those weird gated villages in the UK?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

You can do all that in America too. You just can't do it where the rich people live. Don't you have those weird gated villages in the UK?

If you are thinking of Hot Fuzz then technically you could try and have someone pull the same poo poo. But "An Englishmans home is his castle" you can do whatever the gently caress you want with your land as long as it's yours and the worst you'd get for it is angry tutting. I mean maybe not to the extent of doing things that pisses on other rich peoples quality of life (like building underground swimming pools in your london town house), but that is why you pay lawyers stupid money.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Alereon posted:

I'd like to put forth the controversial idea that how people feel about their disabilities is none of your goddamn business and also gently caress you.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

If you are thinking of Hot Fuzz then technically you could try and have someone pull the same poo poo. But "An Englishmans home is his castle" you can do whatever the gently caress you want with your land as long as it's yours and the worst you'd get for it is angry tutting. I mean maybe not to the extent of doing things that pisses on other rich peoples quality of life (like building underground swimming pools in your london town house), but that is why you pay lawyers stupid money.

I've never been to the UK and even I know this isn't true. There are plenty of historic villages where any outward change to your home has to be approved by the local council, who will absolutely not approve anything that doesn't match the local aesthetic.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Imagined posted:

I've never been to the UK and even I know this isn't true. There are plenty of historic villages where any outward change to your home has to be approved by the local council, who will absolutely not approve anything that doesn't match the local aesthetic.

Depends on how much you are willing to change/ build, and its the difference between "having a perfectly preserved lawn" and "building a 12 foot tall cock in your front garden".

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Pff you Southrons with your fancy grass that isn't brown/yellow or covered in snow for 90% of the year.

Near the tail end of winter a couple years back there was a constant putrid stench of rot in the air because huge swathes of grass died from being covered in a thick layer of ice. When it got slightly warmer and the ice began to melt it released the smell. There were a lot of dead black lawns that year.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 23:51 on May 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

packetmantis posted:

I'd like to put forth the controversial idea that how people feel about their disabilities is none of your goddamn business and also gently caress you.
I'm sorry if it seemed like I was telling people how to feel about their disabilities, it is a pet peeve of mine when people advance highly unorthodox and controversial opinions as if they were generally accepted. That's why I linked to a Wikipedia article on Neurodiversity, both so people could learn the debate existed and a side was being taken, and because I think people would find the existence of that kind of advocacy interesting. I should have resisted the urge to editorialize though and I'm sorry I made you mad, I won't post any more about it here.