Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I don't think it's finished.
He said he's continuing Birthright and Nailbiter when he got DC exclusive, but maybe that's really just to wrap them up. I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Yeah, it occurred to me that I could just look to see how many issues there are. The bundle and trades that are on sale cover up to #20 but the comic is already up to #23 and it doesn't indicate it's the final issue. I assume that if they're talking about having the end in sight then it'll be 25 to 30 issues at least.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Plastic Man sale!!

https://www.comixology.com/Plastic-Man-75th-Anniversary-Sale/page/10600?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw
Besides missing the 60's and 70's series completely, it's pretty packed. It's even got eight issues of the original Jack Cole series from the 40's.

e: Note the 80-page giant has some appearances before his solo book.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:17 on May 3, 2016

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Any recommendations on the Star Wars collections discounted for May the 4th?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

Plastic Man sale!!

https://www.comixology.com/Plastic-Man-75th-Anniversary-Sale/page/10600?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw
Besides missing the 60's and 70's series completely, it's pretty packed. It's even got eight issues of the original Jack Cole series from the 40's.

e: Note the 80-page giant has some appearances before his solo book.

Seeing the JLA issues in there wishes they had rest of that on sale. I really want to get the rest of the Morrison run for that.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

unl33t posted:

Any recommendations on the Star Wars collections discounted for May the 4th?

Darth Vader Volume 1 is really good.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Groupees has an "independents" bundle with a ton of volume #1s.
https://groupees.com/independents

The Boys, Locke & Key, Chew, Shutter, Saga, Stumptown, American Flagg, Ragnarok, Deadly Class, Sixth Gun, Descender, Lost at Sea, Morning Glories, and so much more.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
This is the most high end bundle of books I've ever seen.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Letter 44 is worth every discounted penny.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Speaking of...

https://www.comixology.com/Letter-44-Sale/page/10659?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw
Get it all.

https://www.comixology.com/Kings-Quest-Sale/page/10660?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw
Get the hell out of Jeff Parker's Flash Gordon.
I think King's Watch was a kinda prequel, but I haven't tried it.

I dunno what these are. Cool Euro comics, maybe!

https://www.comixology.com/Spin-Angels-Iron-Squad/page/10630?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
There is a sale on the Civil War stuff, but there is a free first issue of the Secret Wars mini series for Civil War.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Brian Clevinger's Phantom is also good stuff, and tries to tackle the more problematic elements of the premise while not discarding them outright.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

List of free comics around in the lead up to FCBD
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/05/06/over-100-comics-from-marvel-dc-image-and-more-youd-normally-pay-for-for-free-tonight/

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Man Marvel being lazy with their sales lately. Still just the old Civil War trade from last week. I know it to promote the movie, but the old event wasn't very good.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rirse posted:

Man Marvel being lazy with their sales lately. Still just the old Civil War trade from last week. I know it to promote the movie, but the old event wasn't very good.

The sale last week includes a buy one get one free, and most of Bru's cap. Marvel is not being lazy at all with their sales.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

The sale last week includes a buy one get one free, and most of Bru's cap. Marvel is not being lazy at all with their sales.

My wallet agrees with this.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

Very true.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.comixology.com/Darwyn-Cooke-Sale/page/10679?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw
Get New Frontier and Catwoman like your life depends on it (it does.)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:51 on May 10, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Batman/Spirit is worth it too.
And I'm so conflicted... was Cooke's Watchmen stuff any good? I love him and Conner a lot, but the whole endeavour seems so wrong-headed.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Before Watchmen: Minutemen was surprisingly good, because Cooke is amazing as a writer-artist, and because the story is mostly inconsequential, focusing on characters we didn't spend much or any time with in Moore's story.

I haven't read any of the others, including the Silk Spectre one by Cooke and Conner.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Before Watchmen: Minutemen was surprisingly good, because Cooke is amazing as a writer-artist, and because the story is mostly inconsequential, focusing on characters we didn't spend much or any time with in Moore's story.

I haven't read any of the others, including the Silk Spectre one by Cooke and Conner.

Yeah seconding Minutemen, that was very pleasant with nice art.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Ennis Bundle. Get all of The Boys for $15.
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/garth-ennis-dynamite-bundle

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

That's a good deal. If you like Ennis the Boys is a fun read.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.comixology.com/Joe-Keatinge-Sale/page/10726?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Anyone stick with and like Ringside?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Shutter and Tech Jacket are good. Can't speak for the rest. Shutter's gorgeous art alone is worth paying for, but the story is good too.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.comixology.com/Road-to-Rebirth-Sale/page/10727?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw
Crisis on Infinite Earths
Green Lantern: Rebirth
Infinite Crisis
The Flash: Rebirth
Final Crisis
Flashpoint
Convergence

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Teenage Fansub posted:

https://www.comixology.com/Road-to-Rebirth-Sale/page/10727?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw
Crisis on Infinite Earths
Green Lantern: Rebirth
Infinite Crisis
The Flash: Rebirth
Final Crisis
Flashpoint
Convergence

I've always been a Marvel man. Are these storylines worth the money?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I thought Crisis on Infinite Earths was really good when I read it finally a few years ago. I never really read the pre-crisis stuff so I didn't have a real attachment to those versions of the characters but the story still worked regardless.

Infinite Crisis I read when it was coming out, but it's okayish. But it really has a lot of issues and managed to screw up a few characters in the process, with Impulse aged up to a adult..which I think gets him killed off a year later. And of course Superboy Prime, who goes from a Superman from 'our reality' CoIE to pure psychopath megomanic. And that lasts for a good while too, even through he gets so evil that he comical. I mean they literally punish him in a later series by stripping him of his powers and sending him to his parent's basement, where he writes on a DC blog because everyone knows he is a evil jerk.

Never read the others, even through I heard Final Crisis was really good if a bit uneven. Have no interest in N52 stuff so I never looked into Flashpoint or Convergence.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Rirse posted:

I thought Crisis on Infinite Earths was really good when I read it finally a few years ago. I never really read the pre-crisis stuff so I didn't have a real attachment to those versions of the characters but the story still worked regardless.

I found it an incoherent mess the two times I've read it, but I don't really read DC, so don't have much attachment to any of the characters other than Batman and (to a lesser degree) Superman. They just threw every character they could into a pot and hoped for the best.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Uthor posted:

I found it an incoherent mess the two times I've read it, but I don't really read DC, so don't have much attachment to any of the characters other than Batman and (to a lesser degree) Superman. They just threw every character they could into a pot and hoped for the best.

Yeah, but I always a sucker for stuff like this or Infinity Gauntlet. But they put in a lot of characters and plotlines, like the pointless villain sidestory where they try to go back in time to stop the crisis, get killed and that's the end of that plotline.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Rirse posted:

Yeah, but I always a sucker for stuff like this or Infinity Gauntlet. But they put in a lot of characters and plotlines, like the pointless villain sidestory where they try to go back in time to stop the crisis, get killed and that's the end of that plotline.

See, I love Infinity Gauntlet, but I love Adam Warlock (probably due to being the star of the first comic I ever bought) and all the goofy Marvel cosmic characters and can't resist reading every lovely story featuring Thanos (there have been so many lovely Thanos stories).

Maybe I'd like Crisis on Infinite Earths better if I read it when I was 12.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Crisis on Infinite Earths is a classic not because of what it is, but because it was such an unexpected event that actually changed the universe. My biggest issue is that since that point, every reboot has been a "well we can get away with it, and it's a way to clean up lovely writing".

Also, I spent my lunch hour reading through New Frontier, drat fine series. Thanks to you lot for getting me to actually buy a comic series since the 90s.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

XBenedict posted:

I've always been a Marvel man. Are these storylines worth the money?

Just Crisis on Infinite Earths to see an entire era of characters work together to beat a giant thing. It's a great primer to start getting into the history of the place.
and Green Lantern to kick off Geoff Johns' run on the character.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Final Crisis is great if you like Morrison's DC work but it doesn't make much sense without a few other issues that aren't listed there (but are in the trade version).

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
Comixology is reminding me of Spider-sales. How is Spider-Gwen?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I really like the art!

The story pretty much retreads Peter Parker's, so a lot of the fun of it is seeing what has changed. So, depends on how much you enjoy that sort of thing. I think it started to do it's own thing in the current series, but that doesn't look like part of the sale.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Revival is on sale too. Been a while since I read it but I have the first 2 deluxe editions, definitely worth the £8.99 each.
There's a Garth Ennis sale too. The Boys is pretty good, Jennifer Blood is an okay Punisher alike. Battlefields is really good if that's your thing, it does deal with some pretty heavy themes, the Germans and Japanese aren't just there to be cheerfully mowed down by the heroic allies. Not read any of the other stuff there.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Anime_Otaku posted:

There's a Garth Ennis sale too. The Boys is pretty good, Jennifer Blood is an okay Punisher alike. Battlefields is really good if that's your thing, it does deal with some pretty heavy themes, the Germans and Japanese aren't just there to be cheerfully mowed down by the heroic allies. Not read any of the other stuff there.

Just a reminder if you are interested in any Ennis, get the Ennis Humble Bundle. Entire series of The Boys plus a few more for $15.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Walter Simonson visionionaries 1-4 are on sale for 5 and less with the password Walt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

bobkatt013 posted:

Walter Simonson visionionaries 1-4 are on sale for 5 and less with the password Walt

You should buy this if you like Thor even a little bit. Such a good run!