Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

bloodborne's DLC had my favorite bosses, and added great weapons, so i guess you can't really judge the whole series until DS3's DLC cycle is complete.

bloodbornes base game is better than ds3s base game IMO. plus i think it was made with more care. ds3 feels like a cross between ds1 and ds2 to me. but thankfully the game plays as well as ds1 and bloodborne etc and not like ds2. my point is though that it doesnt really have the gravity of DS1 and bloodborne to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

I.N.R.I posted:

bloodbornes base game is better than ds3s base game IMO. plus i think it was made with more care. ds3 feels like a cross between ds1 and ds2 to me. but thankfully the game plays as well as ds1 and bloodborne etc and not like ds2. my point is though that it doesnt really have the gravity of DS1 and bloodborne to me

yeah, i think i know what you're saying and i agree. none of the bosses were that hard up until the final 3 or so. DS DLCs have tended to be massive though, so i feel like they might have a lot of cool stuff stored up. esp since they're planning 2 or 3.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
not only that but the setting, atmosphere and the writing, aesthetics etc. they remind me more of ds2 than ds1 or bloodborne. the actual gameplay is great, the enemies are interesting and the bosses are good. the levels are designed well too. but as much as gameplay matters to me its not the only thing i like about games

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah, i find BB's story to be the best among all of them, and the one i'd most like to see continued. i think it's because of yarnham as a setting, and the cosmology of the old ones.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I'd love to watch a playthrough of a souls game by someone whose first from game was bb

imagine having attuned your skills to the speed of bb and then getting wrecked by early game dark souls mooks because you always dodge too early rather than too late

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
that's basically what happened to me nonstop on my first playthrough. i vastly prefer combat tuned around quickstepping and rolling without a shield. i'm starting to get accustomed to DS style combat with my second guy, though.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i like ds3 a lot more because im genuinely invested in the story and i know the dlc will bring realass answers

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
bloodborne is better with the story for sure but based on artorias of the abyss and the old hunters, ds3's dlc is gonna be bursting with answers

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

sector_corrector posted:

yeah, i find BB's story to be the best among all of them, and the one i'd most like to see continued. i think it's because of yarnham as a setting, and the cosmology of the old ones.

That's the thing I think, there's something so complete feeling in how FROM handled world building in bloodborne that goes all the way down to the blood drunk yarnhamites in their houses that go from suspicious and angry, insanely cackling, to dead silent.

I can't say if having such a large back ground setting already dished out in ds3 is what keeps it from feeling much more broad or if the narrow focus of bloodborne just meshes really well. I'm biased as heck.

I never got into new playthroughs in bloodborne (wanted to collect and use everything on one character) but I did pretty much sink two complete ng in ds 3 back to back

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like Bloodborne he best because of the trick weapons and the dashing. I'm not very into the story of these games though. I like the aesthetic of Bloodborne a lot more too

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

In Training posted:

I like Bloodborne he best because of the trick weapons and the dashing. I'm not very into the story of these games though. I like the aesthetic of Bloodborne a lot more too

i like the insane attention to detail

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I wish I could wipe my mind clean of everything I know abotu Bloodborne, and that every one in this forum chips in to buy me a Sony PlayStation 4.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I love bloodborne but I really feel like it's been wrapped up and trying to stretch the story out even more would make it feel hollow (lol). I want to remember it ending right where it all began, on that beach with the fish that got hosed.

I hope they make another high speed action rpg tho. Just not in yArnham

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

net cafe scandal posted:

I wish I could wipe my mind clean of everything I know abotu Bloodborne

Same but with every part of the series. Except demon's.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i never want to forget about from softwares games for as long as i live. :-D

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

I wish I could wipe my mind clean of everything I know abotu Bloodborne, and that every one in this forum chips in to buy me a Sony PlayStation 4.

can't help you with the former but I have an extra ps4 and copy of bloodborne

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

SciFiDownBeat posted:

can't help you with the former but I have an extra ps4 and copy of bloodborne

I'm broke :P

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

That's the thing I think, there's something so complete feeling in how FROM handled world building in bloodborne that goes all the way down to the blood drunk yarnhamites in their houses that go from suspicious and angry, insanely cackling, to dead silent.

I can't say if having such a large back ground setting already dished out in ds3 is what keeps it from feeling much more broad or if the narrow focus of bloodborne just meshes really well. I'm biased as heck.

it's great

as much as i like Dark Souls i'm glad it's over because the more they do slightly different variations on these same themes and bits of lore, the more it breaks the illusion that there's some fully fleshed out reality hidden behind what u can experience in the game and they're not just making it up as they go along

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

swamp waste posted:

it's great

as much as i like Dark Souls i'm glad it's over because the more they do slightly different variations on these same themes and bits of lore, the more it breaks the illusion that there's some fully fleshed out reality hidden behind what u can experience in the game and they're not just making it up as they go along

well miyazaki said in an interview that he had planned out three games worth of story before dark souls came out so lets wait for the dlc before making this claim.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

dark souls is three games' worth of lore by itself. but maybe a third of game's story/plot

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

SciFiDownBeat posted:

dark souls is three games' worth of lore by itself. but maybe a third of game's story/plot

none of the games made sense before the dlc, especially bloodborne

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

well you could kill all the bosses and then you would go to NG+. makes sense to me

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

bloodborne definitely made sense

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

ive started playing this again instead of finishing dark souls 3

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

thats not to imply dark souls 3 doesnt own, but i picked it up on a whim and plowed through cleric beast and gascoigne and just decided to keep playing

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
My beast claw ng +3 was getting hard because I'm bad

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Pablo Gigante posted:

I still haven't played the DLC.

I think it's the best dlc in the world

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I'm thinking about playing Bloodborne again. I kinda quit my Chikage run at the forbidden forest (which is right when you can get it).

Grit my teeth and go with the longblade again or restart with new weapon?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

It's loving bullshit you can't get the scythe till basically ng+ or many hours of chalice dungeons

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

beep by grandpa posted:

I'm thinking about playing Bloodborne again. I kinda quit my Chikage run at the forbidden forest (which is right when you can get it).

Grit my teeth and go with the longblade again or restart with new weapon?

Chikage is worth the effort

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

I.N.R.I posted:

bloodborne definitely made sense

yeah but u gotta admit the dlc cleared a lot up in every regard

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

frank.club posted:

Chikage is worth the effort

this, its fuckin great

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Does the btinge scaling on it just go forever without any real caps? I feel like I saw someone say that once

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

I think the main game gave a good general summary of what was happening and then the dlc gave the actual specifics about the healing church

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
As a man with 50 or 40 in all stats and a +10 chikage and +10 scythe

I still like the scythe the most

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
chikage BLT scaling only applies on its transform mode, but it has great DEX scaling too. not sure where it caps at.

BLT / DEX with a Chikage and Evelyn was my favorite run, followed closely by STR / ARC with a sawcleaver (not really a STR weapon, but it's quality scaling, and has a loving amazing moveset) and Holy Moonlight

both of those builds will give you a good mix of up-close attack power and damage at range

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

HMS is so awesome because it's also a friggin gun

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

it added some detail. but i always knew miyazaki was about parasites though. ever since ds1. :-D

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

The DLC added some really great backstory that made the story even more tragic and it definitely did answer a few questions

In Training posted:

HMS is so awesome because it's also a friggin gun

Best moonlight sword in the series, and best-looking too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

i finally started the dlc and i love those slow realizations like oh i know this place but its really hosed up now