Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

khysanth posted:

x2 (one in black)

Me and wife are tired of checking in luggage when we go on vacation!

I bought that same bag in black. It's awesome, fits a lot more stuff than you would think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

dreesemonkey posted:

A 3/4" x 17" wood auger that I will probably use one time. But hey, drilling through ~9" of wood is difficult.

Even if you just use water lube the gently caress out of that thing thing and stop every three-ish inches to make drat sure the chips are clearing.

EDIT:

Looks like I am being shipped this:

I guess I bought it as part of a large order months and months ago at it has been backordered since then.

bongwizzard has a new favorite as of 02:03 on May 5, 2016

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Which end goes in your butt?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

beefnoodle posted:

Which end goes in your butt?

How adventurous you feeling?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Clearly the ribbed end, are you a fuckin virgin or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICrbna7gnnk

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

khysanth posted:

x2 (one in black)

Me and wife are tired of checking in luggage when we go on vacation!

Any links on these? Our honeymoon is coming up and would love something like this

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I bought a Mother's Day present!
"Signing Naturally: Student Workbook, Units 1-6 (Book & DVDs)"

It arrives after Mother's Day.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

ThirstyBuck posted:

Nice! I have one of these and I like it. The only down side I've found is that you cannot put it in a microwave.

Eh, we haven't gotten a microwave at work yet, so no worries there :) I love it so far, the thing is cute as hell and fits in my bag.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

Vintimus Prime posted:

Any links on these? Our honeymoon is coming up and would love something like this

It appears to be the Osprey Fairpoint 40.

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

dovetaile posted:

I bought a Mother's Day present!
"Signing Naturally: Student Workbook, Units 1-6 (Book & DVDs)"

It arrives after Mother's Day.

I'm just finishing my first semester of ASL and that was our textbook; it's pretty great. :)

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

My wife has that exact green cover and it's held up from abuse for over a year. Just sayin: good choice.

Great, I've not had a cover for mine for ~2 years but they were on sale for ~$9 at amazon with coupon code NX3IHCPL so I thought why not.

For anyone who's interested, not sure if the codes are still valid or not:

Kindle Paperwhite Cover, Microfibril PU Leather (Various Colors) - $8.99 w/ code: NX3IHCPL
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JP7R7DC

Kindle Paperwhite Cover, Sturdy PU Leather (Various Colors)- $9.99 w/ code: 9IQTCU6T
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VWLN4DG

Kindle Paperwhite Cover Flet Sleeve Bag - $9.99 w/ code: 4VMKI2PA
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K5L3CHM

Kindle Voyage Cover, PU Leather (Various Colors)- $9.99 w/ code: YCNLRS3S
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01564RTZS

bongwizzard posted:

Even if you just use water lube the gently caress out of that thing thing and stop every three-ish inches to make drat sure the chips are clearing.

What would be a good lubricant to use? I have some dupont teflon spray and regular stuff like WD40. I drilled through 7 2x10s above my head with a 3/4" spade bit, that was unbelievably difficult. Using lubrication never occurred to me, so I just bought a meaner looking tool instead.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

dreesemonkey posted:

What would be a good lubricant to use? I have some dupont teflon spray and regular stuff like WD40. I drilled through 7 2x10s above my head with a 3/4" spade bit, that was unbelievably difficult. Using lubrication never occurred to me, so I just bought a meaner looking tool instead.

It depends on whether you're worried about staining or coloring the wood. If you aren't worried about it then anything will work, if you are worried stick to water, or even as dumb as it sounds, sex jelly.

You're mostly trying to help reduce friction to keep the drillbit for heating up which keeps it from expanding. Spade bits are just awful in general I can't imagine trying to drill overhead with one. Your fancy bit is already going to be like 10 times better than the spade bit so might be able to just rock on through.

Zombies!
Sep 3, 2006

dreesemonkey posted:

Great, I've not had a cover for mine for ~2 years but they were on sale for ~$9 at amazon with coupon code NX3IHCPL so I thought why not.

For anyone who's interested, not sure if the codes are still valid or not:

Thank you for the code/link! I picked up a mint green cover for myself.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

bongwizzard posted:

It depends on whether you're worried about staining or coloring the wood. If you aren't worried about it then anything will work, if you are worried stick to water, or even as dumb as it sounds, sex jelly.

You're mostly trying to help reduce friction to keep the drillbit for heating up which keeps it from expanding. Spade bits are just awful in general I can't imagine trying to drill overhead with one. Your fancy bit is already going to be like 10 times better than the spade bit so might be able to just rock on through.

Great, thanks. It's just drilling through my center span floor joists in my basement so I don't care about staining. I'll try and spray something on there. Trying to remember if I still have a corded 1/2" drill, I hope I still do.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

dreesemonkey posted:

Great, thanks. It's just drilling through my center span floor joists in my basement so I don't care about staining. I'll try and spray something on there. Trying to remember if I still have a corded 1/2" drill, I hope I still do.

A side handle will make it much more pleasant as well.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Toast Museum posted:

I got a NAS server.

I'd planned to wait a little while, but Overstock's got it for $110 less than Amazon's been selling it for, so I pulled the trigger.

Follow-up on this: what arrived today was a DS1515, not a DS1515+. Apparently their electronics department is handled separately from their other customer service, so now I'm waiting for a return label and hoping they actually have a DS1515+ to send me.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

dreesemonkey posted:

As great as battery drills are, a solid cordless one is forever the way to go if you're doing any sort of 'hard' drilling. If you do indeed have a corded one then that drill bit is going to be fine and I wouldn't worry about oiling it as it'll be through before you know it; wood isn't concrete...

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I bought this IBM Model M13. 19 years old and it still works fine.

I find it hilarious though that it's got an incredibly heavy metal frame, nice high-quality key switches, and the most miserable, cheap, lovely trackpoint and mouse buttons imaginable. Not that anybody actually uses them, because people buy these to have a black Model M, but come on.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 19:20 on May 5, 2016

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Vintimus Prime posted:

We bought the last two in stock on backcountry.com but you can get comparable prices on Amazon. It's the Osprey Farpoint 40.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pioneer VSX-530-K 5.1 4K receiver with Bluetooth to replace the 30 year old Marantz stereo receiver I'd been using. It'll be lovely to have a receiver with HDMI for once, and also one I can listen to podcasts on my phone with wirelessly.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Woolie Wool posted:

I bought this IBM Model M13. 19 years old and it still works fine.

I find it hilarious though that it's got an incredibly heavy metal frame, nice high-quality key switches, and the most miserable, cheap, lovely trackpoint and mouse buttons imaginable. Not that anybody actually uses them, because people buy these to have a black Model M, but come on.

Where and how much? PS/2 connector I'm guessing?

Bought a pair of Shure SE215, came to about $50 with store credit. Also booked an appointment to get the fluid in my left ear drained so I can actually hear in stereo again.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

88h88 posted:

As great as battery drills are, a solid cordless one is forever the way to go if you're doing any sort of 'hard' drilling. If you do indeed have a corded one then that drill bit is going to be fine and I wouldn't worry about oiling it as it'll be through before you know it; wood isn't concrete...

Ehhhhh... I don't know about that. I've got no issues running a 4" hole saw with my Makita 18v drill, even through transite cement fiber siding on top of old wood siding, or through multiple layers of plaster, lathe, and metal mesh.

I've got zero reason anymore to touch my corded drill, I can't even remember the last time I cracked the case. I've even used it with an 18" x 1" wood auger/installer bit similar to the one linked earlier, through century old hardwood joists, and the Makita cordless drill has performed flawlessly.

Only corded drill I'd ever buy these days would be a proper SDS hammer drill.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Shanghaied posted:

eBay, $190. This is, believe it or not, a fair price for an example in good condition--they are rare and quite valuable. Even damaged one (enter key cap that popped off during use, advertised as a "good candidate for restoration") went for $112 at auction. It has a bifurcated PS/2 cable, one tail ends in the trackpoint connector, the other in the keyboard connector. There is no color coding so you have to examine each connector for the symbol to determine which is which.

There's an even more expensive battleship gray "industrial" version, which is worth over $300 and is the ugliest keyboard I've ever seen in my life.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Shanghaied posted:

Bought a pair of Shure SE215, came to about $50 with store credit. Also booked an appointment to get the fluid in my left ear drained so I can actually hear in stereo again.

These are the poo poo. I wear them like 8+ hours a day every day.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Woolie Wool posted:

eBay, $190. This is, believe it or not, a fair price for an example in good condition--they are rare and quite valuable. Even damaged one (enter key cap that popped off during use, advertised as a "good candidate for restoration") went for $112 at auction. It has a bifurcated PS/2 cable, one tail ends in the trackpoint connector, the other in the keyboard connector. There is no color coding so you have to examine each connector for the symbol to determine which is which.

There's an even more expensive battleship gray "industrial" version, which is worth over $300 and is the ugliest keyboard I've ever seen in my life.

$190 is actually not bad at all, I'm currently typing on this Korean billet aluminium monstrosity whose cost is too preposterous to contemplate . But I didn't want to out myself as one of those keyboard people :ninja:.

People go absolutely nuts over the older grey IBM Ms, but the look was never really my thing. However I really dig the old 90s black-and-red IBM look, so might have to go for one of these at some point.

Jmcrofts posted:

These are the poo poo. I wear them like 8+ hours a day every day.

I thought I couldn't really go wrong for $50, plus paying for a pair of $70-$80 earphones every year because of broken cables is getting ridiculous, so hopefully from now on I only have change the cable every now and then.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I really wish IBM had made basic Model Ms in black, as they would be cheaper and not have a dopey red clitoris sticking out, but they didn't so :shrug:

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Woolie Wool posted:

I really wish IBM had made basic Model Ms in black, as they would be cheaper and not have a dopey red clitoris sticking out, but they didn't so :shrug:

I hear what you are saying, but the red clit mouse was like the quintessential element to Richard Sapper's design vision for IBM in the 1980s. The red clit mouse was ThinkPad, it was IBM.

You know that Lenovo did when they first bought the ThinkPad brand from IBM? They put the loving red clit on their logo.

It's still on new ThinkPads even though no one has touched that clit in like 20 years.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I actually love that clit. It doesn't help that the Lenovo trackpads are hit and miss. Some generations they are fine and some are near Apple quality. The clit has remained constant throughout.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i use the clit on my thinkpad

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Shanghaied posted:

Shures or Westones make the best IEMs in my opinion.

Get some custom ear fittings. They make a HUGE difference in blocking out external sound and allow you listen at much lower volume (seriously, keep your hearing safe).

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Mu Zeta posted:

I actually love that clit. It doesn't help that the Lenovo trackpads are hit and miss. Some generations they are fine and some are near Apple quality. The clit has remained constant throughout.

PYF Recent Purchases: The clit has remained constant throughout.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

apatheticman posted:

PYF Recent Purchases: The clit has remained constant throughout.

More accurate to say no one has touched that clit in 20 years?

Last night I bought several The Heavy albums despite them all being on prime streaming. I like physical cd's for my old car.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

Shanghaied posted:

It's still on new ThinkPads even though no one has touched that clit in like 20 years.
I wore the red dot smooth on my mine, luckily it came with a replacement. I don't think a great pointing device should wear down like an eraser, but the difference after you replaced it was oddly satisfying.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Saw the new Captain America and liked the shirt Peter Parker wears, so I bought one.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
The old one died after like a week so amazon sent me another one.

HOTLANTA MAN has a new favorite as of 05:40 on May 6, 2016

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Some light reading

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

PCOS Bill posted:

Some light reading

Good old herbologist huckster Savage. Is he still foaming-at-the mouth rabidly upset about Everything?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

PCOS Bill posted:

Some light reading

lol, and you continue to be a walking punchline

You keep moving up that list, buddy

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

OSU_Matthew posted:

Ehhhhh... I don't know about that. I've got no issues running a 4" hole saw with my Makita 18v drill, even through transite cement fiber siding on top of old wood siding, or through multiple layers of plaster, lathe, and metal mesh.

I've got zero reason anymore to touch my corded drill, I can't even remember the last time I cracked the case. I've even used it with an 18" x 1" wood auger/installer bit similar to the one linked earlier, through century old hardwood joists, and the Makita cordless drill has performed flawlessly.

Only corded drill I'd ever buy these days would be a proper SDS hammer drill.

Cement fiber siding really isn't the same thing as concrete though fella, not by a long shot hence the 'hard drilling' comment. I probably have the same 18v Makita as you do and although it's loving superb and has done me well by many things I've done DIY, the extra power of a corded drill will make virtually any drilling job effortless due to the ridiculous RPM they spin at and the amount of torque they can generate. I'm not suggesting a battery drill can't do the same jobs as a corded, just that the corded will make life far easier in every respect. Work smarter, not harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

88h88 posted:

Cement fiber siding really isn't the same thing as concrete though fella, not by a long shot hence the 'hard drilling' comment. I probably have the same 18v Makita as you do and although it's loving superb and has done me well by many things I've done DIY, the extra power of a corded drill will make virtually any drilling job effortless due to the ridiculous RPM they spin at and the amount of torque they can generate. I'm not suggesting a battery drill can't do the same jobs as a corded, just that the corded will make life far easier in every respect. Work smarter, not harder.

Agreed. I've been strugging with putting holes in my block foundation wall with my 18V Makita drill. I have a pergola project coming up that will involve more drilling into our foundation and also into concrete pavers/concrete footers, so I'm going to drop the money on a corded hammer drill.