Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Eldred posted:

I didn't realize it was that out of the ordinary, I'd just heard it was a good weapon to pick up for mid game. It's still kind of bizarre to blame balance issues on the player though.

A million other people have already said it, but it's more of a "weapon balance is hosed" issue than a "bosses are fragile" problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's hilarious in PVP, if only for the hatemail. The Dark Sword is somehow an incredibly common, over-used and predictable weapon and yet nobody seems to have figured out the parry timing for it.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

RBA Starblade posted:

Irithyll Dungeon might be my least favorite place in a souls game. It's annoying to navigate, the jump scares are a nuisance, and the jailers have one of the few instant kills in the game. Unless that's not supposed to happen.

e: Also it's real dumb how the actual curse gas effect on the basilisks hurts you, it's if you leave it

The mechanics behind the jailers seem really obtuse too. I thought it was the gas they spew that lowers max HP, not the lantern. Are you talking about the grab move? That's definitely an instant kill if your HP is reduced enough.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Eldred posted:

The mechanics behind the jailers seem really obtuse too. I thought it was the gas they spew that lowers max HP, not the lantern. Are you talking about the grab move? That's definitely an instant kill if your HP is reduced enough.

Are they not supposed to do it twice in a row while you can't move? He just kept putting it back down on me until I was dead.

Also I thought it was the gas too actually. What's that do then?

e: lmao I finally get the hollow infusion and it's +20 ar over sharp for the warden twinblades at 40 luck.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

It's hilarious in PVP, if only for the hatemail. The Dark Sword is somehow an incredibly common, over-used and predictable weapon and yet nobody seems to have figured out the parry timing for it.

its not that the timing is hard. its that latency is a thing and a missed parry vs a heavy dark sword means over half your health bar is gone

related: is there any way to deal with a person using a heavy dark sword and a havel shield besides hoping you parry them. i had both the knightslayer and hoof ring equipped. nothing i could do to the shield

Mimingless
Nov 23, 2007
Oh no, I have a self-esteem issue

RBA Starblade posted:

Are they not supposed to do it twice in a row while you can't move? He just kept putting it back down on me until I was dead.

Also I thought it was the gas too actually. What's that do then?

e: lmao I finally get the hollow infusion and it's +20 ar over sharp for the warden twinblades at 40 luck.

As I understand it, the true power of Hollow weapons is that they boost Luck the more hollow you are. So the AR is whatever, you're further empowering your bleed machine. If you're fully hollowed anyway, enjoy jerky-mode! :v:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lovely Senorita posted:

with estocs the way they are and the Black Hand hat, sort of surprised no one's done an El Zorro yet

Actually the Evengalist's hat is the one you want to use for Zorro cosplay :eng101:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

While I know it's showcasing some glitch damage tricks, I have a lot of respect for the Abyss Watchers boss fight because you are actually allowed to use all of the game mechanics against them compared to common "Welp, looks like this guy is immune to X, Y, Z, or all of the above"

Lets you feel real good when you nail a boss with a backstab, whether you are new to the series or played any of the other ones. I feel sorry for the sort of people who think being able to backstab a boss means it's "casual garbage" or something.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Of course the wardens can do the instant kill move through walls and of course the mimic grabbed me from behind and five yards away. I hate this place so loving much.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Eldred posted:

I didn't realize it was that out of the ordinary, I'd just heard it was a good weapon to pick up for mid game. It's still kind of bizarre to blame balance issues on the player though.

the thing is weapons are usually balanced around "swings fast / little damage" and "swings slow / high damage" but the dark sword somehow got through with "swings fast / all the damage" so it's a weird outlier. people told you it's a good weapon because it's one of the best weapons you can pick and it's a random drop from an uncommon monster but it's not even as rare a drop as the blue cop covenant ears, plus the monster that drops them can feasibly be farmed by other monsters in the same zone at no risk to the player.

there's so many :psyduck: about that sword that it's actually quite remarkable

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

wait there was a balance patch and they didn't nerf the dark sword?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

as a scrub who does not pay attention to this poo poo, why is the dark sword more OP then other swords? i never infused it, but i have a +10 dark sword and +9 broadsword and they are near identical. what makes the dark sword so much more unbalanced?

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

RBA Starblade posted:

Of course the wardens can do the instant kill move through walls and of course the mimic grabbed me from behind and five yards away. I hate this place so loving much.

Yeah if the jailers nab you with their brand pretty much the only thing to do is to mash the roll button to try to avoid the follow-up which will definitely kill you. And that still doesn't work all the time. They really suck if you don't combo them down right quick, and that lower room with a billion of them is a real dickhole if you don't have a reliable ranged option. On my first character I ended up pulling them all one-by-one around a corner with bowshots and dealing with them there; my pyromancer was able to just Chaos Orb them to death in groups no problem.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

like, I played though my whole first NG run with medium/heavy armor and greatswords and no shield and sinking enough points into vigor to keep my equip weight below 70% and I had to learn how to roll through pretty much every attack or else learn which attacks I could just go on offense against because greatswords actually do have decent hitstun / interrupt. it was moderately challenging (not as hard as if I had been a caster lol) but if I really wanted to just breeze thru a NG run I could have picked up a dark sword and wore light armor and not wasted stat points on wearing heavy armor and keeping equip load below 70% and maybe pumped up a pyro hand and just chumped the pve content. it wouldn't mean the pve content was easier or I was a master player, just that certain playstyles are heavily favored and you can luck into them, or not, and if you don't read a lot of wikis or reddit or whatever you might never know that your build is easymode or that you're making the game 1000x harder on yourself.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

heavy dark sword gets insane damage on a strength build with minimal stat investment. its got some pretty nasty range too.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

GulagDolls posted:

heavy dark sword gets insane damage on a strength build with minimal stat investment. its got some pretty nasty range too.

got it, so infusing it with heavy means you can dump points in other places and be a dickhead

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ixjuvin posted:

Yeah if the jailers nab you with their brand pretty much the only thing to do is to mash the roll button to try to avoid the follow-up which will definitely kill you. And that still doesn't work all the time. They really suck if you don't combo them down right quick, and that lower room with a billion of them is a real dickhole if you don't have a reliable ranged option. On my first character I ended up pulling them all one-by-one around a corner with bowshots and dealing with them there; my pyromancer was able to just Chaos Orb them to death in groups no problem.

Yeah, starting to realize just how good great chaos orb really was. Bleed is fun but if anything has the slightest range I'm sort of hosed. Oceiros went down not too badly though, but those quick attacks were rough with the twinblades, with the fraction second chance to dodge.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

To put it in perspective, a heavy +10 darksword has about 60 less base damage than a cathedral knight greatsword and similar strength scaling despite being a straight sword type weapon. Hell it might even have a higher strength scaling because it hits A rank strength at +4 to cathedral's +5.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

as a scrub who does not pay attention to this poo poo, why is the dark sword more OP then other swords? i never infused it, but i have a +10 dark sword and +9 broadsword and they are near identical. what makes the dark sword so much more unbalanced?

It isn't, almost all straight swords are on the OP side, but the dark sword is the perfect storm of great damage, great stamina consumption and good range while having the same swing speed as the rest of the class. Most other straightswords also need a quality build for maximum damage but the dark sword is fine with just strength.
The main thing going for straight swords in general is that they are fast enough that you can attack every opening while still having all around great damage. The Nameless King is the classical example of a boss that becomes way easier if you have a fast weapon. With a greatsword there are 2 openings you have where you can safely attack, and on one of them you might get hit anyway if your timing isn't perfect. Straight swords do almost the same damage as greatswords but can get a hit in after almost every move he does.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
dark sword also gets stomp, which if last nights dreg farming was any indication of, not very many people know how to deal with

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

somebody said dark sword does more poise damage (to enemies i guess) than a regular straight sword too. i have no idea if thats true or not tho.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Einwand posted:

To put it in perspective, a heavy +10 darksword has about 60 less base damage than a cathedral knight greatsword and similar strength scaling despite being a straight sword type weapon. Hell it might even have a higher strength scaling because it hits A rank strength at +4 to cathedral's +5.

Not to mention that unlike the Greatswords, the Dark Sword and other Straight Swords have the ability to completely stucklock pretty much any enemy in the game which means that as soon as you hit them, you won.

Ironically, since poise doesn't exist, Greatswords and slower weapons are far more "hit and run" than smaller weapons.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
Sooooo has there been any real discussion on how much Demon's Souls is in this game? Because golly gee there is a lot of Demon's Souls in this game. Influence-wise and also a few things just straight up lifted from DeS.
Like everything about Karla, for example

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

drat i just beat the game using one but never bothered infusing it or anything i could have been having an easier time haha

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011
Re: Dark Sword discussion. Again, been using Dark Sword through NG. Switched to Carthus Curved Sword for NG+. What I got has miniscule (~13 on a 40/35 build currently) amount less AR and worse weapon art but gets bleed and a better R2, and feel pretty identical in other regards. Yet Dark Sword gets all the hate and overusage, but I hardly see CCS and nobody complains about it. It's hilarious.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HnK416 posted:

Sooooo has there been any real discussion on how much Demon's Souls is in this game? Because golly gee there is a lot of Demon's Souls in this game. Influence-wise and also a few things just straight up lifted from DeS.

My first impression of this game was "oh wow, they've made Demon's Souls 2 in Bloodborne's engine and called it Dark Souls 3". The game has so many areas and little things that feel very Demon's Souls, much more so than DS1 (or 2).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Should I stop leveling luck at 40? When's the extra bleed buildup drop off?

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

RBA Starblade posted:

Should I stop leveling luck at 40? When's the extra bleed buildup drop off?

The soft cap is 40, like most stats, but you can actually stop at 30 or 35; a +10 Hollow weapon will give you +5 Luck once you zombify so if you have it on both hands you can save 10 levels!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So it seems like there's no reason to use the regular shotel. The carthus shotel actually has slightly better damage and the same scaling from what I can tell. Its a minor difference, but this is before you even take into account that the carthus shotel can inflict bleed. Oh but I guess it weighs 0.5 more and doesn't have that garbage parry nobody uses.

HnK416 posted:

Welcome to From. They like to reference themselves a lot.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 4, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

HnK416 posted:

That's just because the same character archetypes are used over and over and over again. I think the only character Jenny Funnell has voiced in Souls who doesn't hate herself is Quelana.

Of course Bloodborne did good by its VAs - Solaire is a straight-up psychopath who ends up laughing/screaming while wearing a pyramid head and covered in blood, Funnell voices a doctor who wants to do fun experiments with you (and the Vileblood queen!), etc. I love bizarro souls.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

turtlecrunch posted:

That's just because the same character archetypes are used over and over and over again. I think the only character Jenny Funnell has voiced in Souls who doesn't hate herself is Quelana.

Of course Bloodborne did good by its VAs - Solaire is a straight-up psychopath who ends up laughing/screaming while wearing a pyramid head and covered in blood, Funnell voices a doctor who wants to do fun experiments with you (and the Vileblood queen!), etc. I love bizarro souls.

… Please, do not speak of her.
… I abandoned my mother and sisters and fled to this land.
… Now I roam these parts, feigning ablution,
and pretending to seek answers.

I think she's got some survivor's guilt for the whole bed of chaos business.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

martyr logarius took me the most tries of any boss in this series but it was worth it for that scene.

also the executioner set is the best set in any of these games.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Deified Data posted:

The thing I'll miss the most from checking out of the Souls community to keep my first playthrough blind was not knowing which weapons were loved/reviled by the community or why, so if I picked up a weapon and liked it I could just use it instead of hearing how terrible/OP it is.

Now I can tell myself that if I ever want to use the estoc or the dark sword I can do so without giving a poo poo, but the seed's planted and there will always be a sperg in the back of my head calling me a scrub for doing so.

Oddly enough, I actually got and was using the Dark Sword before I read anything about it- I switched back to the Halberd once I found out.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Eldred posted:

I still can't figure out what their gas attack even does.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

RatHat posted:

I don't think it does anything. I think it is used as an indicator that the "I see you and you are now dying" ability has been activated. For some of them I just run right up to them and have never given a gently caress about the weird gas they spew.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Your Computer posted:

… Please, do not speak of her.
… I abandoned my mother and sisters and fled to this land.
… Now I roam these parts, feigning ablution,
and pretending to seek answers.

I think she's got some survivor's guilt for the whole bed of chaos business.

Well, yeah. I was trying to make an optimistic reading, I mean she is happy to have you as a pupil!

Then when you leave, she crawls over to her sister's corpse and dies while clinging to it.

Okay I revise my statement: all of Funnell's Souls characters hate themselves.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

RatHat posted:

It looks like curse gas and I think that's what it was originally supposed to be, but From removed the curse because that'd be too bullshit even for this series. It's just an aggro indicator now.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I hope they don't change poise. PVP is so good right now

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

They should remove poise from the game and just increase armor absorption. Way more fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Malek Deneith posted:

Re: Dark Sword discussion. Again, been using Dark Sword through NG. Switched to Carthus Curved Sword for NG+. What I got has miniscule (~13 on a 40/35 build currently) amount less AR and worse weapon art but gets bleed and a better R2, and feel pretty identical in other regards. Yet Dark Sword gets all the hate and overusage, but I hardly see CCS and nobody complains about it. It's hilarious.

This is the difference.

About jailers, when the gas is done that's when the health drain ability starts. It doesn't do anything else. Ed: It's definitely the same color as curse gas. Maybe they'll turn poise on one day and suddenly the gas curses you!

Unsmart fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 4, 2016