Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Solvent guy, good on ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I'm still looking for a sport touring bike, still on BMW. I'm checking out a 2010 R1200RT today but just had a family friend offer me his 2013 R1200R w/ 7k miles for $7500. Am I a retard if I don't jump on it?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Maksimus54 posted:

I'm still looking for a sport touring bike, still on BMW. I'm checking out a 2010 R1200RT today but just had a family friend offer me his 2013 R1200R w/ 7k miles for $7500. Am I a retard if I don't jump on it?

Try to get it for less, those air cooled 1200s took a big hit in value when the water cooled Rs came out last year.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
He won't take less as I know he was offered his asking price from a dealership. I can't find comps for less than that right now in the PNW.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Infinotize posted:

Once you're done with all the gear purchases you'll quickly realize bike as savings is a total fantasy.

Still totally worth it!

The only really cheap bike is a 125. Buy for as much as a moderately expensive bicycle, spend a tenner on fuel once or twice a month. Good poo poo.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
RT is very much not sport touring though. There's no sport in an RT.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I also recommend Shoei helmets in general, but honestly you're going to have to try a bunch of poo poo on to see what fits. Shoei, Arai, AGV, Bell, Icon (do we like Icon, guys?)

Sub $500 Icon is the loving king. I have crash tested their helmets and they did a great job (or a poor one, depending on your PoV). They also have the best graphics in the game, if that's your thing. If you want a high windflow helmet the Airmada is an amazing choice. It's more of an oval headshape, iirc, so all you round noggins can gently caress off.

VERTiG0 posted:

An Icon helmet just saved my life, so I really like Icon right now.

Way to put your money where your mouth is, my Icon brother.:hfive: I bought a new Airmada to replace the one I crashed in (twice!) back in October. I'll post a pic later, but the cheesy graphic says "Ride Among Us".

AncientTV posted:

They're all ECE certified now IIRC. They're probably overpriced compared to similar quality helmets from other brands but :shrug:

I specifically chose the Airmada I did because it was ECE, but not Snell, certified. Z3n did a great write up a while back on what those differences are, but the gist of it was that an ECE helmet will crumple more during an impact, and the Snell will have less give. Apparently, at the time, Snell had a focus on a helmet being able to take two blows to the same area. I was more comfortable with a helmet that took 1 blow and gave me, hopefully, increased protection from brain trauma.

I believe the standards changed enough in recent years that this is irrelevant noa, but that was my reasoning when I first chose the Airmada.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 4, 2016

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

captainOrbital posted:

You could always try CycleTrader too. It tends to be more dealer-focused, but they have some private sellers up in there.

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2015-Triumph-SPEED-TRIPLE-ABS-117707279

Thanks for the heads up! Buying this.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

predictive posted:

Please get a GoPro.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

predictive posted:

:hfive:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Please get a GoPro.tail tidy

Ftfy

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

some people ride in the rain you know

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I love the post-fender-ruining "Wahh why is my back all wet now" posts

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Going to cross post this in the SV thread. '04 SV daily ridden with 55k miles. Any thing I should look out for? He doesn't mention the title so I'll ask about that first then maintenance stuff like valve adjustments, etc.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Is there a sub $3k bike close to a ZRX, Bandit 1200, or 919 that I don't know about? Really want a ZRX but the market for them is poo poo here. Used triples are premium priced. I don't know what Yamaha has.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You could probably find an FZ1 around $3k.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

astrollinthepork posted:

Is there a sub $3k bike close to a ZRX, Bandit 1200, or 919 that I don't know about? Really want a ZRX but the market for them is poo poo here. Used triples are premium priced. I don't know what Yamaha has.

Honda CB1300?
Don't know how much they go for where you are (or if they sold them there either)

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

astrollinthepork posted:

Where do you live? Those are supposed to be the cheap options.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Yea, I don't think you're going to find an FZ1 or anything else comparable for less than a Bandit.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Plus, you want the bandit anyway

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
I think I may be able to pick up that SV for 1800. He's the second owner, no history on valves so I'll have to do that. Clear title.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
Located in Ohio. When I say sub $3k, I could maybe go to $3.5k. Just looking for ideas to keep an eye on. Would have to sell my 919 before I get anything, and I haven't fully committed to that yet. I'm not totally sure what kind of bike I even want. I just picture 919 with more power and better suspension. Then I realize maybe I want luggage and a windscreen. Or I'll say gently caress that and want some supersport.

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 5, 2016

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Get yourself a nice VFR

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

PCOS Bill posted:

Get yourself a nice VFR

One of us!!!

Dadbikes.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
Isn't the maintenance on those quite challenging? Especially the valves?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

astrollinthepork posted:

I think the very complicated valve check is by design, it's so dad can schedule a three day weekend of me-time and not see the rest of the family.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
I've never done the valves on my 919 lol. I hardly ever have the will to buy/rent a shim kit. Plus I'd gently caress it up. I don't think I'll be doing them on the VFR. And those make a lot less power than I thought. The seating position on cycle ergo looks great though. What else is out there like that? How easy or dumb would it be to put handlebars on a supersport? How does that feel with rear controls?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

From what I gathered having owned a 750 vfr, the valves thing is a "check every 50k kilometres/30k miles" thing, as in check, yes they're still in spec, put the bike back together.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

astrollinthepork posted:

I've never done the valves on my 919 lol. I hardly ever have the will to buy/rent a shim kit. Plus I'd gently caress it up. I don't think I'll be doing them on the VFR. And those make a lot less power than I thought. The seating position on cycle ergo looks great though. What else is out there like that? How easy or dumb would it be to put handlebars on a supersport? How does that feel with rear controls?

Triumph sprint ST.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

Triumph sprint ST.

Somewhere Flikken's ears perked up

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The dealer I bought my FZ from had a Triumph Trophy in the showroom. The thing is massive, like it doesn't look fun to ride at all. At some point you should just get a car

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

One of us!!!

Dadbikes.

dadbikes are the next cafe racer.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

builds character posted:

dadbikes are the next cafe racer.

Everyone should ride something comfortable so I'm okay with this

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

astrollinthepork posted:

What else is out there like that? How easy or dumb would it be to put handlebars on a supersport?

Just get an FZ1 mang.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Solvent posted:

I've basically done all the dumb poo poo I plan on doing already, and am trying to blend mature and cool in some sort of way that causes me not to hate the pedantic life of a research psychologist.

Edit:
Any tips on what to buy in terms of that safety gear?
Like brands and styles?
I mean, like there's a lot of stuff out there, so places to start help a bunch.
Pretend I'm dumb, and pls jus pst.
Like, for the thread lurkers and all.

1. hahaha you say that now. Wait till you progress onto /other/ bikes.
a cop caught me yesterday wheelie-ing off a sidewalk after a fillup, he didnt bother me. a year ago? would have never done that.

2. Nice come around, welcome :3:

3. styles of gear is very per-person. Generally I'm p happy with sidi boots, rs-taichi gloves. I've used a icon variant for almost a year, fantastic helmet but it fogs kinda easy. Also tool around in various 1 piece suits. textile is offroad only for me.

to answer your other question. never had anything stolen bike wise, but I ride boring dull old poo poo.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.
Drove down and bought the bike today; a flawless 2015 Speed Triple with 3200 miles for $8400 (guy also threw in a Givi tanklock bag and an oil filter). I've been having a great time riding it around and fiddling with the shift lights (you can set the six blue lights above the tach to light up in succession, then flash as they approach a set RPM point). Thanks again to captainOrbital for the awesome find! The nearly nine thousand dollars I didn't spend on the 2016 R thanks you.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Please get a GoPro.

I don't get it?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

predictive posted:

I don't get it?

We want to watch your snuff film.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

cursedshitbox posted:

I ride boring dull old poo poo.

That's some ol bullshit.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

astrollinthepork posted:

I might not be the one to ask. I relish maintenance and have a particular penchant for finding things that need a lot of it.
That being said, no. Maintenance is pretty easy.
You're probably going to have to only adjust the valves once, maybe twice, over the life of the bike.
Getting the injectors off is a bit of a oval office, so it getting the wiring harness out without taking a bunch of other things off.
There's a bunch of hoses that can be daunting to keep track of... but no more so than any other bike really.

The most difficult part of that bike is knowing that it's going to catch fire sooner or later.

http://imgur.com/a/sMDPz

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

predictive posted:

Drove down and bought the bike today; a flawless 2015 Speed Triple with 3200 miles for $8400 (guy also threw in a Givi tanklock bag and an oil filter). I've been having a great time riding it around and fiddling with the shift lights (you can set the six blue lights above the tach to light up in succession, then flash as they approach a set RPM point). Thanks again to captainOrbital for the awesome find! The nearly nine thousand dollars I didn't spend on the 2016 R thanks you.

drat, that happened quickly. Enjoy your bike!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Wrong thread